Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-27-2012   #1
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Braman gets no love?

With all the doom and gloom going on around here about losing our players (somewhat rightfully so), I'm kinda surprised more people haven't been talking about Braman getting a chance to get snaps at OLB. Seems like he's got good football instincts. He's had two outstanding plays on special teams this year, and I really think he's going to shine in this system. Sure, we need to draft some LBs, but I'm pretty confident that he can step in a make an impact. Have the rookies play special teams and let him focus on being an LB and spend that high draft pick on a lineman.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #2
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Braman gets no love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
Seems like he's got good football instincts. He's had two outstanding plays on special teams this year, and I really think he's going to shine in this system.
Based upon a couple of high-profile plays on STs duty, you've concluded he's "going to shine in this system" ? Would you say the same thing about Shiloh Keo, who also made an impressive tackle or two in covering punts/kickoffs during his rookie year ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #3
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

No, Braman's work at OLB in the preseason last year is what caught my eye. That he did well on ST is part of earning his stripes as a rookie, but I agree he's got potential to be a contributor in the OLB rotation this year.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
No, Braman's work at OLB in the preseason last year is what caught my eye. That he did well on ST is part of earning his stripes as a rookie, but I agree he's got potential to be a contributor in the OLB rotation this year.
This!

I believe that Wade knows what he's got on the bench in this guy. Also any time we've seen this guy on the field he has done his job well.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Its hard to project a guys development when we do not get access to see him work day in and day out. We can assume all day long if he is ready for a starting job or not. I tend to lean towards drafting a pass rusher in the first round.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88720 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Braman looked good in preseason last year but I don't think he's ready this year. He's a project and I think its too early to throw him into the mix. Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft an OLB high and let Barwin walk next year and then roll with Reed, draft pick, and Braman in 2013.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Braman seems like an entertaining, colorful character but it takes more than a rep for using exotic forms of dope and making a helmetless special teams tackle to be a regular and consistent contributor to the Texans' defense.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2012   #8
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't he the player from A&M who was suspended from football because of 'shrooms?

Maybe we're just making sure he doesn't get any flashbacks
Old 03-27-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 115090 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Wasn't he the player from A&M who was suspended from football because of 'shrooms?

Maybe we're just making sure he doesn't get any flashbacks
I thought he was suspended somewhere else and then transferred to West Texas A&M.

What's wrong with flashbacks??
Old 03-27-2012   #10
Ktexan68
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Ktexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Z ( who I think really knows his stuff) expects him to become part of the rotation this year.
Ktexan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With all the doom and gloom going on around here about losing our players (somewhat rightfully so), I'm kinda surprised more people haven't been talking about Braman getting a chance to get snaps at OLB. Seems like he's got good football instincts. He's had two outstanding plays on special teams this year, and I really think he's going to shine in this system. Sure, we need to draft some LBs, but I'm pretty confident that he can step in a make an impact. Have the rookies play special teams and let him focus on being an LB and spend that high draft pick on a lineman.
Insufficient data.
Let me see what he does during camp & preseason.
Tackling with no helmet does not say much for his judgement. It does speak volumes about his intensity though.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The draft will tell us what Wade thinks of Braman. If multiple LB's are picked high, then Wade doesn't have much confidence in Braman.

Although we dont have much to go on, I think Braman is a guy you can count on. I trust Wades decisions.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #13
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The draft will tell us what Wade thinks of Braman. If multiple LB's are picked high, then Wade doesn't have much confidence in Braman.

Although we dont have much to go on, I think Braman is a guy you can count on. I trust Wades decisions.
I don't necessarily agree with this. I think if they draft OLB high it speaks more to how they rate their chances of keeping Barwin. If they can find another Reed to come in and rotate, and that guy proves himself on the field, Barwin moves in to Mario Williams status of 'we don't need to overpay' although on a lower pay-scale.

We are always going to need a 4th OLB we can rely on as well so it isn't as if Braman wouldn't see the field in that situation.

The moves we've made so far this off-season will give us some room to play with next off-season, but we still have to plan ahead. Schaub will be the obvious variable, since Brown and Barwin are likely to attract top dollar if they perform to the same level next year, a healthy Schaub season would make him an interesting option for other teams. He's currently earning somewhere around the $9m (not checked this) I think, which I'd love to believe would stay around the same level in a new contract but we all know thats a little below what a lot of good QB's earn.

All those factors combined make it prudent to give ourselves options at a position where performance on a rookie contract nets you a bargain, while established vets cost a fortune. Draft OLB high, continue to progress Braman (love that guys play btw) and improve a key position this year whilst freeing up your decision making next, win-win.

One guy I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in to the rotation, is Schobel, who I noticed is mulling over a possible return to football. We were interested a couple of years ago, and he's fairly local to Houston. I'm not too sure how interested he'd be in playing OLB, but if we have a little room under the cap, spending it on a 1 or 2 year, low risk deal would not be a bad way to use it. We made a huge mistake in not signing him when Barwin went down, we should have offered him whatever he wanted. Now I think the money side of things might be a little more in the Texans' favour.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #14
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeez some harsh comments. Give the kid a break, he made his mistakes ... turned his life around ... and is trying to make the best of an opportunity. If Braman gets a chance to compete for a position in the rotation he will make it. I would bet on that.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #15
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Jeez some harsh comments. Give the kid a break, he made his mistakes ... turned his life around ... and is trying to make the best of an opportunity. If Braman gets a chance to compete for a position in the rotation he will make it. I would bet on that.
Typical Houston fan response. ND Kalu says be more like Philly and destroy the guy.

/jk
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not a gloom and doomer, but Braman hasn't done squat yet. Being confident about him is like being confident in Jeff Maehl to solve our Jacoby Jones problem. Perhaps he will....but you can't rely on this kind of stuff. I like Braman too but we better take a talented OLB early in the draft. Reed may go through a sophomore slump as the league has a full year to study him and Barwin has to have a break out year...one injury and we are in big trouble back there.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Braman hasn't really done anything to make me think he could contribute as an OLB, yet. Maybe that'll change this season, but I wouldn't go into the draft thinking we're ok at the position.
Old 03-27-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm not a gloom and doomer, but Braman hasn't done squat yet. Being confident about him is like being confident in Jeff Maehl to solve our Jacoby Jones problem. Perhaps he will....but you can't rely on this kind of stuff. I like Braman too but we better take a talented OLB early in the draft. Reed may go through a sophomore slump as the league has a full year to study him and Barwin has to have a break out year...one injury and we are in big trouble back there.
this.
Old 03-27-2012   #19
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 132284 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 03-27-2012   #20
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Braman, guy tackles guys with no helmet on, ect...If I remember correctly he looked good in some preseason game or games but I would love to see him go up a good starting RT for an extended period of time.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read