Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-10-2005   #1
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider
Default Best QB

Maybe someone has already discussed this, or maybe not. I am having an argument with someone on the CBS Sportsline Rumor Mill (fun stuff) and a guy is saying that Tom Brady is the best QB OF ALL TIME. Is there reason to believe Brady is the best of all time? Or are there way better choices than Brady?

IMO, it's Joe Montana.
Old 05-10-2005   #2
CaptainPatriot
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainPatriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedRaider
Maybe someone has already discussed this, or maybe not. I am having an argument with someone on the CBS Sportsline Rumor Mill (fun stuff) and a guy is saying that Tom Brady is the best QB OF ALL TIME. Is there reason to believe Brady is the best of all time? Or are there way better choices than Brady?

IMO, it's Joe Montana.
That`s a hard 1. Do you go by stats or do you go by wins. Regular Season Stats I would say no. If you are talking about Playoff Wins he is up there with Montana. Brady is still 9-0 in the playoffs and counting. Right now he is on a coarse to be best ever in Playoffs! Brady has 3 rings at 27 Aikman was 29 and Montana was 32! 1 guy you are forgetting is Bart Starr. I think he and Brady are tied with 9 straight wins in the Playoffs. Also Starr was drafted I think in the 15th Round! But what all these QB`s have in common is they don`t make mistakes and had good or even great Defense`s behind them.
Here is 1 Stat that is incredible Montana has no INT`s in 4 SB`S!!! Also Brady this yr had no INT`s through out the Playoffs! As for Manning until you win the big game he can`t sit at the same table of these QB`s. He can sit at the table with Dan Marino.Like Vince Lombardi said " if winning isn`t everything then why do we keep score"
Old 05-10-2005   #3
Texan Dave
Veteran

I wouldn't put Brady on the top of the list yet, to me, Bret Favre takes that role. He's a mold yet to be broken, as long as he's on the feild the Packers will have a chance to win a game. Anyone who disagrees, sorry but you're just wrong.
Texan Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #4
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Dave
I wouldn't put Brady on the top of the list yet, to me, Bret Favre takes that role. He's a mold yet to be broken, as long as he's on the feild the Packers will have a chance to win a game. Anyone who disagrees, sorry but you're just wrong.
I like this guy. Brett is the man!
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Terry Bradshaw. 5
Bradshaw won 4 SB's not 5. Pittsburgh won 4 Super Bowls in a span of 6 seasons (1974, 1975, 1978, 1979).

Montana won 4 SB's in a span of 9 seasons (between 1981 and 1989).

Brady has won 3 SB's in a span of 4 seasons.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #6
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPatriot
Here is 1 Stat that is incredible Montana has no INT`s in 4 SB`S!!! Also Brady this yr had no INT`s through out the Playoffs! As for Manning until you win the big game he can`t sit at the same table of these QB`s. He can sit at the table with Dan Marino.Like Vince Lombardi said " if winning isn`t everything then why do we keep score"
Haha, pats fans are so paranoid. Every time this conversation comes up, they bash manning, even if no one has brought him up.

If you want to argue rings, it's Otto Graham (played 10 years, played IN 10 title games, won 7) if you want to argue stats, it's dan marino. If you want to argue leadership, it's Johnny Unitas. And if you want to be a homer, it's Peyton Manning
Old 05-10-2005   #7
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

1. John Elway
2. Joe Montana
3. Johnny Unitas
4. Dan Marino
5. Brett Favre

That's my top 5.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2005   #8
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. John Elway
wanna explain this one Huge? I mean I am with you on all the other one's. But this one? and as #1?
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #9
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
wanna explain this one Huge? I mean I am with you on all the other one's. But this one? and as #1?
I know. I had to convince myself for the longest time.

I almost always had him behind Montana and Marino. But no QB has been/was as good after 35 years old than Elway. The other greats had the benefit of being in a system that fit their talents for pretty much their entire careers (Montana in the West Coast, Marino in the pass happy Miami attack...as was Fouts, Aikman with the great running game, etc.).

Only when Shanahan came along and fit the offense around Elway (he knew Elway better than anybody) did Elway really explode (just look at his stats). Imagine if Dan Reeves had not been so stubborn and listened to Elway and Shanahan when Mike was the OC in Denver.

So based on his stats (impressive as any), wins (more than any), natural ability (nobody's arm equals Elway's except maybe Jeff George but he ain't 1/4 of the QB Elway was) and success (2 titles)...my nod goes to Elway.

As crazy as it sounds.
Old 05-10-2005   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

my top five are a little different

1. johnny U
2. elway
3. montana
4. bradshaw
5. morino

close to the top

broadway joe
brett farve
roger staubach
troy aikman
tom brady
Old 05-11-2005   #11
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I maybe too old school (even though i'm only 25) but I'd take Slangin Sammy Baugh any day.

As far as modern era in which you guys speak....Its about the Rings let's not kid ourselves here. Unfortunately you can be a great qb stuck on a horrible team and get penalized for it. HEY LIFE AINT FAIR.

As for the pace Brady is setting you'd have to argue he is the best. 3 in 4 years? No reason to believe they can't win this year. They seem to find a way.

I'm not ready to call him #1 until he retires though.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 121813 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
I maybe too old school (even though i'm only 25) but I'd take Slangin Sammy Baugh any day.

As far as modern era in which you guys speak....Its about the Rings let's not kid ourselves here. Unfortunately you can be a great qb stuck on a horrible team and get penalized for it. HEY LIFE AINT FAIR.

As for the pace Brady is setting you'd have to argue he is the best. 3 in 4 years? No reason to believe they can't win this year. They seem to find a way.

I'm not ready to call him #1 until he retires though.
if the modern era is about rings.. so you'd take Trent Dilfer over Manning?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #13
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Steve Young
4. Troy Aikman
5. John Elway

Nowhere near the top:
1. Steve "The Lob" Grogan
2. Chris Chandler
3. Jeff George
4. Rodney Peete
5. Ryan "Make Like a Tree and" Leaf
Old 05-11-2005   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Joe Montana (I said Joe Montayna!)
2. John Elway
3. Warren Moon
4. Dan Marino
5. Brett Favre
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Joe Montana did his thang for a long time, not just for 4 years. So I give it up to him. After that you do gotta say Brady. C'mon 4 years 3 SuperBowls, one was a come from behind (so what about the fumble), does it with a team of nobodies except for the fact they are somebody now because they won a SuperBowl, also doesn't have quite the arm as any of the other above mentioned QBs.

And if you are looking for non winning or attending SuperBowl QBs, I know many of you will say Marino and that is fair, but IMHO it is Warren Moon. Even though Douglas from the Skins was the first Black QB to win the SB, Warren Moon erased the notion that QB was not a position for black people and he broke alot of records and played very well for a very long time.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

So if you've got to include Brady because of 3 rings in 4 years, where do you put Troy Aikman?

And a team of "nobodies" (Ty Law, Richard Seymore, Willie McGinest, Rodney Harrison, Lawyer Milloy, Corey Dillon, Adam Vinatieri, Tedy Bruschi <--- "nobodies"?) doesn't change the fact they're still a great team. Brady is not what makes them great. He's just another piece (albeit an important one) in their puzzle.
Old 05-11-2005   #17
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Oh yea I'd take Trent Dilfer over Manning. Quit being an i-d-i-o-t. Dilfer has one.

I'm speaking of RINGS. Plural.

I don't think there is a CLEAR definition then of how we are judging what defines the GREATEST qb.

any suggestions?
Old 05-11-2005   #18
Texans1984
Rookie

1.john elway
2.joe montana
3.brett farve
4.dam marino
5.mick vick( i know he's not number 5 yet but will be i love this guy)
Texans1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #19
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
Oh yea I'd take Trent Dilfer over Manning. Quit being an i-d-i-o-t. Dilfer has one.

I'm speaking of RINGS. Plural.

I don't think there is a CLEAR definition then of how we are judging what defines the GREATEST qb.

any suggestions?
Interesting that you would take Baugh (two rings) over Montana and Bradshaw (four rings each), or Aikman and Brady (three rings each).
Old 05-11-2005   #20
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Baugh didn't play in any super bowls. I don't think you can classify the old nfl championship the same way you do the sb championships. Different era and stage.

If that's the case why not throw in Fran Tarkenton or YA Tittle because clearly if this is about great qb's and not just sb wins you'd have to include these names as well.

You also have to take into account how DIFFERENT the game is. Bart Starr called his own plays as did most of the qb's of that era and as it is now only 1 calls his own plays.

There seems to be no criteria for the greatest qb. I think the question should be more if we were all starting our OWN teams who would we want to lead them and what kind of Offense would we be running.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read