Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-24-2012   #1
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Zone blocking is guard>tackle?

In zone plays it seems like the guard is the one with the harder responsibilities in the run game. During pass protection they are not facing elite rushers like the tackles are but in run plays they have to deal with linemen and LBs where the tackles can just pancake the ends.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zone blocking is guard>tackle?

old old video

Quote:
A zone-blocking crash course
Big blocks like the one pictured by tackle Eric Winston should be more frequent in the zone blocking scheme being implemented by coaches Alex Gibbs, John Benton and Frank Pollack.
http://www.houstontexans.com/media-l...E-3615795FCCAC

Quote:
X's and O's: 2010 Run Game
Posted Jan 19, 2011
Arian Foster gained 1,616 yards in 2010, and offensive line coach John Benton diagrams how the guys up front cleared the way.
http://www.houstontexans.com/media-l...e-303514d661b3

Quote:
X's and O's: Benton breaks down long runs

Posted Jan 21, 2011

Arian Foster broke loose for some long runs in 2010, and o-line coach John Benton diagrams how the guys up front helped make it happen.
http://www.houstontexans.com/media-l...5-ad3f5d9438b7
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Each has its individual importance. The guards must deal with larger inside D and LBs, and "pull." The tackles need strenght on runs and agility on pass protection. The truth is that without precision teamwork of all the linemen, a successful zone blocking scheme is difficult to create.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall I'd say that guards are more important because no matter which way the play is going, picking up their guy is vital and they have to work to get there every play...Whereas a backside tackle may not have to work very hard to keep his man out of the play...

But it also depends on the front you are blocking and the play called...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

There are different types of zone philosphies and zone systems and I've heard on multiple occasions that what we run is a "inside zone system" so yes, I'd have to agree the play of our guards is more important than that of the tackles in the running game (reason why losing Brisiel to injury made such a noticable difference, but make no mistake here...

I've said multiple times that Duane Brown is the best run blocking LT in the league and Eric Winston could possibly be the best run blocking RT.. It was a luxaury to have that tackle combination within this system and Eric Winston will be missed in that department. However if we can find a RT (Butler) who isn't that far off, but is much better in pass protection, we'll be better off in the long run.

This is also why I'm much more worried about finding someone to replace Mike Brisiel over finding whoever we stick at RT and consider Brisiel's loss much greater than Winston's departure. We have alot of work to do on the Oline now, we need to find a RG that can more than push Caldwell for the job and we need to find a swing tackle who can fill the shoes that Butler just stepped out of.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Each has its individual importance. The guards must deal with larger inside D and LBs, and "pull." The tackles need strenght on runs and agility on pass protection. The truth is that without precision teamwork of all the linemen, a successful zone blocking scheme is difficult to create.
This is why I'm not overly worried about our OL even though we lost the starting right side. The replacements know the system and the players know each other. I don't think the chemistry needed for a functional OL will be hard to come by. With better passpro from the RT spot, it could actually excel.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't think either position is any more important than the other. They've all got a job to do & they've got to do it well. Plus you have to have a RB who can read the blocks, make decisions, & make those cuts.

I remember Wade Smith back in 2010. Man, he was awesome. He looked like Duane Brown in 2011. In the run game anyway. I don't know what he'd look like in pass protection, on the right side.... but I'd be interested to see how that would work.

If we can get a right tackle that would own his side of the field like DBrown does.... damn!!!
Old 03-24-2012   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think either position is any more important than the other. They've all got a job to do & they've got to do it well. Plus you have to have a RB who can read the blocks, make decisions, & make those cuts.

I remember Wade Smith back in 2010. Man, he was awesome. He looked like Duane Brown in 2011. In the run game anyway. I don't know what he'd look like in pass protection, on the right side.... but I'd be interested to see how that would work.

If we can get a right tackle that would own his side of the field like DBrown does.... damn!!!
If we're strictly talking about the running game, then I think it is pretty clear which area is more important (which is the reason why people made such a big deal over Wade's slide in performance last season.) This is clearly a insde out ran team, which is why it was pramont that we got Myers back and we did. The next must signing is Brown, but that has little to do with run blocking.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
If we're strictly talking about the running game, then I think it is pretty clear which area is more important (which is the reason why people made such a big deal over Wade's slide in performance last season.) This is clearly a insde out ran team, which is why it was pramont that we got Myers back and we did. The next must signing is Brown, but that has little to do with run blocking.
Wade played like ass in 2011 & Brisiel is easily replaceable. Ben Tate damn near ran for 1,000 yards & Arian would have had 1,700 had it not been for his hammy....

CM had to be resigned, because he's the QB or the line, he's the shot-caller; that's why we had to have him back.

But in our scheme, the guys on the inside double team the guy in front of them 8 out of 10 times. The guards usually start & end a run play on the LOS. Chris Myers is usually going up field, to clean out the second level. The tackles have to stretch the field, vertically as well as horizontally.
Old 03-25-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The guards and center definitely have more responsibility in the run game. It's not even a question. That's just a fact.

In the passing game the tackles have more responsibility. That's not even a question either.

No I'm not saying tackles aren't important in the running game and vice versa for guards. What I said us what I meant.
Old 03-25-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The guards and center definitely have more responsibility in the run game. It's not even a question. That's just a fact.
I'm just not seeing it. We talk about our tackles in our run game much more than our guards. Both Duane Brown & Eric Winston are more responsible for our excellent run game over the last two years than our guards.
Old 03-25-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm just not seeing it. We talk about our tackles in our run game much more than our guards. Both Duane Brown & Eric Winston are more responsible for our excellent run game over the last two years than our guards.
Run blocking is not as demanding for tackles and pass blocking isn't as demanding for guards.

And it's that way for several reasons.

De's usually are easier to move than dt's. And the same thing that makes then easier to move makes then harder to block when passing Tackles dont have to block lb's as often as guards and centers.

I see you said double team up above, but guards and centers ate double teaming. One guy usually makes the initial contact and the other one takes the guy over while the first guy goes up to the next level. If the d lineman slants hard towards the play the first guy will stay with the down lineman and the second gut will go up to the next level. But the steps remain the same.

People normally focus on the blocking on the frontside of a play, but the backside blocking is what allows for the big runs. Tackles really don't work as hard because often times the backside de is wither left completely alone or is minimally blocked. Whereas the backside guard better get the backside lb to cut off pursuit.

Basically the guards and center are generally responsible the meat of the run stoppers which I'd the mike, play side dt and backside lb.

Now I'm just speaking on a regular stretch zone or off tackle zone play which is a majority of what the texans run.

The edge players aren't generally known to be run stoppers, they are known as pass rushers. Interior guys are known as your run stoppers.

Maybe Winston looked so good against the run compared to the guards because his job was a little easier. I'm not saying Winston wasn't good at his job, I'm just saying when running the ball his job wasn't generally as hard as the interior line.
Old 03-25-2012   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When Sherman was here, he mixed in the gap scheme to complement the ZBS.

Then Gibbs came and he wanted the Olinemen to get the ZBS down to heart so we scratched the gap scheme.
We ran more inside zone (tight zone) plays, probably because Gibbs wanted the RBs to go downhill quickly.

Then with Dennison, we mixed in the gap scheme again; we have the guards and tackles pull and counter runs.

As we ran more outside zone (wide zone) plays last year, the tackles were more important. However, when we stretch the field horizontally, the RB is supposed to find the most open seam, and it could be inside the guard, depending on how the D run their scheme.

Everybody on the line need to do their job, because we can always use the cut back lane on the back side when the defense is determined to cut off the front side. We really can't say which lineman is more important, I don't think.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #14
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The run game is one thing, when we pass block like all teams T are taking on the best pass rushers generally so that is why they get the big $ right?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #15
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The most talented and challenging pass-rushers are still playing off of the edge which means it's the tackles and not the interior linemen who are the ones who draw the assignment to defend and protect the QB against them.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Inside zone blocking against the 3-4
http://www.hawgtuff.net/INSIDE%20ZON...20TUTORIAL.pdf
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
The most talented and challenging pass-rushers are still playing off of the edge which means it's the tackles and not the interior linemen who are the ones who draw the assignment to defend and protect the QB against them.
Unless they stunt.. or you've got guys like Antonio Smith & JJ Watt tearing up the interior.
Old 03-25-2012   #18
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking about this when we lost brisiel. I really wish we could have kept him because when they do rotations or pick up double teams, the inside position has much more of a mental challenge than the tackles. The guy on the end can just react and like I said before is only dealing with one guy much more often. Those pancakes by Winston look awesome but mentally they aren't tough.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Overall I'd say that guards are more important because no matter which way the play is going, picking up their guy is vital and they have to work to get there every play...Whereas a backside tackle may not have to work very hard to keep his man out of the play...

But it also depends on the front you are blocking and the play called...
The idea of any linemen being the "most important" is a phallacy. Left tackles are important, but if you have the best LT in the world and the rest is substandard you are gonna be in for a hurting. That's why our line works so well, as it was 5 guys that were good with no weak link.
Old 03-28-2012   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

As a side issue, one of the things that shocked the incoming staff when the first got to the Texans was how hodge podge the line was. The current staff has very specific views on what they want their center, guards and tackles to be able to do. They thought that the previous Texans folks just acquired whatever guys were offensive linemen and just sort of randomly stuck them in spaces based on what they needed. That makes sense given some of the linemen they had assembled in the 2005 season and which positions they were asked to play.

FWIW.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read