Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-24-2012   #1
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If David DeCastro falls...

Would you be willing to trade up for him?

Let's say he gets past Dallas at #14. Would you be willing to trade up to #16 with the Jets? It would likely take a swap of this year's 1st round picks and our 1st next year. I would definitely take that deal. Two 1st round picks (both in the 20's) for probably the best OG to come out since Hutchinson? Yes please.

If you're not for that, we could probably work out a trade involving a swap of 1st's, a 2nd next year, and our 3rd this year. We avoid losing the 1st this way, but I think our picks are a necessity this year since we need to fill some holes on the roster.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Re: If David DeCastro falls...

I doubt he falls, but still ...

well, even though he is an elite prospect at G, I still wouldn't trade up for him, Guard is actually one of the strongest positions in this draft and theres alot of of "later" round prospects I like.

Only person I can see maybe falling I'd trade up for is Floyd
Old 03-24-2012   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am very much in the never trade picks away, always trade to add picks camp.

In football no one prospect is worth mortgaging the future on.
Old 03-24-2012   #4
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98526 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I am very much in the never trade picks away, always trade to add picks camp.

In football no one prospect is worth mortgaging the future on.
I disagree. NYG mortgaged a hell of a lot for Eli Manning. 2 Super Bowl's later...

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-24-2012   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I disagree. NYG mortgaged a hell of a lot for Eli Manning. 2 Super Bowl's later...
If DeCastro were a QB, and the Texans needed one, then trading up should be a consideration. For a guard? I don't think so. The difference between the top rated guard and one the Texans could take at their own pick is not worth the potential players given up. It would take the Texans 2nd round pick, or their 3rd + 4th, to move from #26 to #16.
Old 03-24-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I'd take him if he fell to us.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If DeCastro were a QB, and the Texans needed one, then trading up should be a consideration. For a guard? I don't think so. The difference between the top rated guard and one the Texans could take at their own pick is not worth the potential players given up. It would take the Texans 2nd round pick, or their 3rd + 4th, to move from #26 to #16.
I agree about him being an OG versus being a QB. However, the difference between DeCastro and the next best OG is immense. He's a once in a decade OG prospect.

If you're saying the OG position is not worth giving up picks then okay that's fine. Many would agree with you.

- The Immortal Bo
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2012   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe you do it for a franchise QB but you best get it right. And the Giants won superbowls as much by their commitment to drafting pass rushers as anything.
Old 03-24-2012   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's a once in a decade OG prospect.
DeCastro's not a super athlete, like a Larry Allen. He's considered a technician, more than a power blocker. His value is that he's "pro ready" and plug and play. Bruce Matthews was a once in a decade prospect. DeCastro's nowhere near than level of a dominating athlete.
Old 03-24-2012   #10
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Maybe you do it for a franchise QB but you best get it right. And the Giants won superbowls as much by their commitment to drafting pass rushers as anything.
They still wouldn't have won those SB's without Manning. They didn't add many of those pass rushers until after Manning was in the fold.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-24-2012   #11
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
DeCastro's not a super athlete, like a Larry Allen. He's considered a technician, more than a power blocker. His value is that he's "pro ready" and plug and play. Bruce Matthews was a once in a decade prospect. DeCastro's nowhere near than level of a dominating athlete.
I'm sorry what? Since when do you have to be a super athlete to be an elite prospect?

He's a tremendous run blocker and an excellent pass blocker. He can pull as well as he can road-grade. He's as much a technician as much as a power blocker, that's why he's so dominant. He dominated the PAC for the last few years. Have you seen his film?

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-24-2012   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

If he fell to where it wouldn't take more than a fourth combined with our 1st I wouldn't hesitate. He is a plug and play G for the next 10 to 12 years that will play at a high level. Not to mention I have never been a Caldwell fan and Smith is 31 this year.

The better OL you put in front of Foster the better results you will get out of him. It didn't do any good signing him to a long term deal for all that money if he is going to be getting hit in the backfield all the time.

Edit: I would also like to add that even though we resigned Myers he is also 31 and Decastro is capable of playing C. Having said all this I'm still thinking it may be more beneficial to slightly trade down and draft Kevin Zeilter who also is also versatile enough to play C. Don't really see too much difference between the two.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #13
Lucky

Quote:
I'm sorry what? Since when do you have to be a super athlete to be an elite prospect?
DeCastro "dominated" in college football because of his skill level and technique. In the NFL, he will find highly skilled players with outstanding technique that are also superior athletes. That doesn't mean he won't be effective if he continues to hone his skills. But he's not going to be dominant, because he will be facing off against better athletes.

Look going to the "have you seen his film?" card is weak. Why would I comment if I hadn't seen Stanford play? I've enjoyed watching Andrew Luck since his Stratford days. Granted that this might not be great tape on DeCastro, and he does show some ability, but these clips versus UCLA hardly display a "once in a decade prospect". DeCastro often looks clumsy and slow. Much more like a 2nd round pick than a "once in a decade" prospect. That he's considered a mid-1st pick in this draft has more to do with the lack of top talent after the 2 elite QBs than anything DeCastro has done. I'm not suggesting that DeCastro wouldn't be value for the Texans at #26. Just that he's not worth throwing picks away to acquire him.
Old 03-24-2012   #14
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
DeCastro "dominated" in college football because of his skill level and technique. In the NFL, he will find highly skilled players with outstanding technique that are also superior athletes.

Don't really understand where you're going here. Every college player faces better competition at the next level.

That doesn't mean he won't be effective if he continues to hone his skills. But he's not going to be dominant, because he will be facing off against better athletes.

You could say this about any OL who's ever entered the draft.

Look going to the "have you seen his film?" card is weak. Why would I comment if I hadn't seen Stanford play? I've enjoyed watching Andrew Luck since his Stratford days. Granted that this might not be great tape on DeCastro, and he does show some ability, but these clips versus UCLA hardly display a "once in a decade prospect".

1st play of that clip he pancakes his man. 2nd play he drives his guy back 5 yards. 3rd play gets stood up at the line by his guy but fights through and makes the block. 4th play he plows through the guy in front of him and gets to the LB on a short yardage iso play. 5th play he pulls and gets his guy in space and makes the block. Quit watching after that...

DeCastro often looks clumsy and slow. Much more like a 2nd round pick than a "once in a decade" prospect.

I don't see that at all.

That he's considered a mid-1st pick in this draft has more to do with the lack of top talent after the 2 elite QBs than anything DeCastro has done.

I don't buy that for a second.

I'm not suggesting that DeCastro wouldn't be value for the Texans at #26. Just that he's not worth throwing picks away to acquire him.

There's nothing wrong with that opinion, I just happen to disagree.
^^^

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-24-2012   #15
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

The term "elite prospect" is thrown around alot. In this case, I used "elite" earlier in the sense that he is hands down the best OG in this draft.

But I overstated DeCastro's value. To really be considered "elite" to me as a draft prospect, you have to have above average physical talent as well as above average technique and understanding of your position. There are very few "elite" prospects in NFL history despite the high amount the word is thrown around. I'd consider Deion Sanders to be the standard when it comes to determining an elite prospect.

DeCastro is actually very close to being considered that by me, he has above average physical ability in my opinion. The only other athletes I have in this draft that come close to that consideration are Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, and Morris Claiborne. I feel Luck didn't face enough very good defenses, I'd need to see Griffin in a more pro style offense, and if Claiborne was just 2 inches taller or a smidge faster I'd consider him elite hands down
Old 03-24-2012   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Decastro a lot and would seriously consider him if he's there at 26, but I would never trade up for a guard. The position just isn't that important to me and doesn't warrant first round trade ups. We can get an OG in the mid rounds that will outdo Caldwell.

Guys that I would trade up for are Floyd, Blackmon, Keuchly, Ingram and maybe Upshaw.
Old 03-24-2012   #17
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I like Decastro a lot and would seriously consider him if he's there at 26, but I would never trade up for a guard. The position just isn't that important to me and doesn't warrant first round trade ups. We can get an OG in the mid rounds that will outdo Caldwell.

Guys that I would trade up for are Floyd, Blackmon, Keuchly, Ingram and maybe Upshaw.
This is how I thought most people would feel. OG doesn't carry a big value with most football people. My infatuation with DeCastro is due to my belief that he's the best OG to come out in quite some time and is future multiple all-pro.

QB, WR, LT, and pass rushers are the ones that teams trade up for.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-24-2012   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Too muchy money.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I just watched some Decastro and Zeitler clips and I think Zeitler is the better player...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #20
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
My sentiments exactly.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read