Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-22-2012   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Robert Griffen III vs Andrew Luck

Some interesting reactions on RGIII vs. Luck as the No. 1 pick. Who would you take??? I'm leaning RGIII.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Bill Polian on RG3 vs. Luck: "They're neck & neck for me. I rank them even in virtually every category." Still expects #Colts to draft Luck.

After watching RG3's Pro Day, Gil Brandt says he's "not sure" whether Luck or Griffin should be drafted No. 1 overall:

More Merril Hoge: "Especially accuracy w/ ppl around him, how (RG3) ... put it on the perimeter outside the numbers. Much better than Luck."
21 Mar Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
More Merril Hoge on Griffin v Luck: "More (tape) I watched, I was like 'hold the phone. This kid RG3 beats (Luck) in almost every category'"
21 Mar Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
ESPN's Merril Hoge says #Colts should take Robert Griffin III over Andrew Luck in "half a heart beat." Basing it strictly on game tape.

ESPN's Mel Kiper on whether RG3 could bypass Andrew Luck: "Can't see it. I couldn't believe it. Just because Luck is so special coming out."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Robert Griffen III vs Andrew Luck

I've been thinking I'd rather have RG3 over Luck for a while now...

I really hope the Colts don't see things my way...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #3
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I've been thinking I'd rather have RG3 over Luck for a while now...

I really hope the Colts don't see things my way...
Amen

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

RG3 running around wont stay in this league at a high level, 5 years. Luck on the other hand I see slinging the rock for 10 years.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #5
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

RG3 has been injured during 2 seasons. Luck hasn't had any injuries.
Whoever the Colts draft, they are going to have a last awhile during the rebuilding process, including rebuilding the OL.

I'd go with Luck.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #6
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I like RGIII over Luck, granted, I saw more of his games. I think he has "it" that intangible.

Besides, it would piss off the Skins fans who are counting on him.
Old 03-22-2012   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99579 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Luck is better, pure and simple.

Look, Griffin is no slouch, but most of these "pundits/experts" are saying Griffin because everyone is saying Luck. If they say Luck then nobody cares or notices. But if they say Griffin and it turns out he is better they get to look like geniuses.

I also think ESPN is trying to build up hype for the upcoming draft because the top 3 picks are already locked in and they want people to doubt that and tune in.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2012   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91029 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Griffin has "It". But so does Luck. I see Luck as the best QB prospect since Manning came out.

I like Luck better, and that isn't meant as a shot at Griffin, who I think will be very successful as well.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Mayock on RG3's Pro Day: "He threw two 18-yard comebacks as good as any quarterback in the National Football League can throw 'em."

Mayock compares Andrew Luck's arm strength to Drew Brees & Matt Ryan. "I care about results. It gets there. It's a good but not great arm."

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-22-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2012   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91029 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

This stuff about Luck's arm is getting just downright silly. Can he throw it as far as JaMarcus Russell? No, but he has more than enough arm strength to make all the NFL throws.

There is no such thing as a perfect prospect. It's a risk to pull the trigger on anybody in the draft, especially at #1. But it just seems that people are nitpicking about his arm just so they can have something to complain about.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Mayock on Griffin vs. Luck: "I do believe RG3 has a slightly bigger arm. But that's not the true measure of a quarterback."
Old 03-22-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
This stuff about Luck's arm is getting just downright silly. Can he throw it as far as JaMarcus Russell? No, but he has more than enough arm strength to make all the NFL throws.

There is no such thing as a perfect prospect. It's a risk to pull the trigger on anybody in the draft, especially at #1. But it just seems that people are nitpicking about his arm just so they can have something to complain about.
Every prospect gets picked apart...

And with RG3 coming out in the same draft and expected to be taken 1 spot away from him, off course he's going to get looked at with a fine tooth comb.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #13
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Luck is a better prospect than Griffin.

1. Luck played a pro style offense whereas Griffin played in a spread. We have seen more pro style QBs succed in the NFL vs spread.

2. Consistency. Luck has had 2 VERY good years. In contrast, Griffin had a good year last year and a VERY good season this year. I am not going to say he came out of nowhere but he was not being talked about as a #1 pick at the end of last season. Luck was. With the hype surrounding it, Luck delivered.

3. Injuries. RGIII suffered a torn ACL in 2009. Luck has not suffered any injuries of this magnitude.

4. Leadership-> wins. Both guys are going to go to a crappy team, that's the nature of the draft. But look at how they willed their teams. Griffin was a starter for 3 years. In those years his teams were 4-8, 4-8, and 10-3. In contrast, Luck was 8-5, 12-1, and 11-2.

4. Size. Like many things, size does matter. Luck is 6'4 235 whereas Griffin is 6'2 223. In the NFL more size means you can absorb hits. If Griffin wants to continue to play his style he will need to become more elusive and/or pack on some weight. For example, Donovan McNabb is also 6'2, but he is in the 240lb range.

5. Style of game. Griffin needs to change his style of game. In college he had around 20 passes per game and 13 rushes per game. That is a really high number of rushes. Steve McNair, only rushed about 5 or 6 times per game. Michael Vick averages 8 rushes per game at his running peak, Vince Young was at 6, and Newton was around 8, and Tebow almost 9 last year. I am not sure any QB has been able to rush for 13+ times per game longterm in the NFL. Griffin is going to have to throw more often and rush less.

I am not saying that Griffin is not a good prospect, I think he is. I think he is certainly worthy of being a first rounder. However, given the option, I think Luck is certainly a better prospect and will be a better pro.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Mayock on Griffin vs. Luck: "I do believe RG3 has a slightly bigger arm. But that's not the true measure of a quarterback."
Luck threw it 70 yards against the wind .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I like 'em both. If Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and John Elway can all come out of the same draft and play like Franchise QB's, so can these two.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I like 'em both. If Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and John Elway can all come out of the same draft and play like Franchise QB's, so can these two.
These two are both 9.5 at the least .

Who were the other 3 .

Eason ? ?

Round Dan
Old 03-22-2012   #17
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't seen RGIII play, but I did watch an interview during the NFL Combine and he impressed the hell out of me in the span of a minute maybe. It's a hard call to really say who's going to be better. I think they'll both be great. Colts and Redskins will be lucky to have them.
Old 03-22-2012   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
4. Leadership-> wins. Both guys are going to go to a crappy team, that's the nature of the draft. But look at how they willed their teams. Griffin was a starter for 3 years. In those years his teams were 4-8, 4-8, and 10-3. In contrast, Luck was 8-5, 12-1, and 11-2.
You can't lay all of the record on the QB. Luck had a ton more talent around him.

Still, I would take Luck because he's the safer pick. He's been groomed to play QB since he could walk. Luck just looks like he's ready to step in and run an NFL offense, as Peyton was in '98.

Griffin looks mechanical to me (reads, certain throws). I think he will get it, and I love his personality and intangibles. Obviously, Griffin is one of the top 3 or 4 athletes to ever play the position. His potential is enormous, but not enough to overshawdow Luck's potential + readiness.
Old 03-22-2012   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 172599 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
\
Who were the other 3 .

Eason ? ?
Todd Blackledge and Ken O'Brien. Blackledge was the bust of the litter. BTW, Andrew Luck's dad, Oliver, was taken by the Oilers in the 2nd round of that 1983 draft.
Old 03-22-2012   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Todd Blackledge and Ken O'Brien. Blackledge was the bust of the litter. BTW, Andrew Luck's dad, Oliver, was taken by the Oilers in the 2nd round of that 1983 draft.
So the following teams drafted quarterbacks

Colts to Denver
Bills
Chiefs
Patriots
Jets
Dolphins

Denver , Bills , Pats , and Dolphins went to SBs .

Round Dan

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read