Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-25-2012   #61
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
All I'll say on this subject is that anyone who really feels that KJ is a good CB or a good guy to start for us really doesn't know what a good NFL corner is supposed to play like. He may have gotten better in his 2nd season, but that doesn't mean that he isn't a really bad corner.
I wouldn't go so far as to say he's really bad, but I think people are setting the bar low or at a mediocre level in this case.

After the season kubiak talked up jacoby. Anybody think that means he doesn't think we can do better at wr other than Andre?

Out of all the starters on defense, kj is/was probably the weakest link.

For all the flak Allen got, kj couldn't keep him off the field. And if you think that him sharing time with Allen didn't mask some of his deficiencies you're dreaming.

We can do better at that position. Either kj will improve and hold off the competition behind him or he won't. It's really that simple, but my point is that we can do better than what we got out of him last season.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Wade Phillips affirms Kareem Jackson as Texans’ No. 2 CB

Kj is improving, just like he's supposed to. We saw it in Chris Myers, we saw it in Mario Williams, & we saw it in Duane Brown. Everyone you see defending Kj are the same people you saw defending those guys.

No, they didn't particularly play well as rookies (or in Myers' case, his first season as a Texans). But they did play well enough to show they had the talent it takes to be successful in this league.

He's not playing like a Pro Bowler right now. He is playing like a 2nd year corner. To expect the former, is where the disconnect is.

I don't know that he'll take the necessary steps next year. All I can say is that I do believe it's time for him to take sole responsibility of the #2 CB position. It is time for him to sink or swim.

I also don't think we need to go out & get another CB. We have McCain, Harris, Carmichael, & McMannis in the event Kj fails. If that proves to not be sufficient, then we can go get some help next year.
Old 03-25-2012   #63
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65390 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Heh. Saving the name Duane to my phone now. On a side note Elaine Gabbert will never be corrected.

Texecutioner seems to think Kareem Jackson is incapable of improvement, which is sad but but far fetched. Texans staff are appearing comfortable in giving Kareem the job with probably McCain, McMannis and one of Harris or Carmichael on the bench. I don't think they are grabbing a CB until the 4th round or later, so we're probably seeing him at CB2 for the foreseeable future. Unless Brice McCain grows about 4 or 5 inches in the off-season.
Old 03-26-2012   #64
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, if they take a CB in this years draft, its either because he's fallen really far and is BPA by a country mile or they are admitting that one of last years guys was a bad pick.

Positions they need to secure before CB include RG, OT, OLB, ILB, WR, QB, K, FB/TE, DE. Those are all positions where our depth is seriously thin, in no particular order, and if CB is taken care of before any of them, then I think its a pretty damning review of Roc & Harris.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #65
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is going to blow everyone's mind and draft nothing but offensive linemen with every pick except the token 5th or 6th round QB.

LOL. Can you imagine the reaction?
Old 03-26-2012   #66
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Kubiak is going to blow everyone's mind and draft nothing but offensive linemen with every pick except the token 5th or 6th round QB.

C'mon man, he's not going to do that....you know he'll throw a TE in there somewhere!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #67
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I can imagine the reaction. Half the posters would say it was a bad draft. The other half would say it was a great draft.
Old 03-26-2012   #68
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
and i thought demeco getting traded was bad.
C'mon man he wasn't nearly as bad as he was in 2010. He showed great improvement from his rookie year. He's still got work to do, but i think he'll be ok as long as we've got good safety help.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #69
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Heh. Saving the name Duane to my phone now. On a side note Elaine Gabbert will never be corrected.

Texecutioner seems to think Kareem Jackson is incapable of improvement, which is sad but but far fetched. Texans staff are appearing comfortable in giving Kareem the job with probably McCain, McMannis and one of Harris or Carmichael on the bench. I don't think they are grabbing a CB until the 4th round or later, so we're probably seeing him at CB2 for the foreseeable future. Unless Brice McCain grows about 4 or 5 inches in the off-season.
remember though, alot of the same people said that bringing in Wade wasn't going to be enough to counter Kubiak's terrible coaching and help this team get over the hump & into the playoffs this past year though either.

Some in here just tend to look at things with skepticism having been scarred by houston sports franchises for so long...Nothing wrong with that though, it counteracts those like myself who tend to want to look at the bright side of everything.

As for kareem i think he could get better next year, but only marginally better than what we saw from him last year. & honestly even if that results in him being a decent #2 cb for his career, every time this guy gives up a catch/TD people will gripe about his play. I think he's largely become a marked man here b/c of his rookie season in 2010...which honestly really wasn't all on him. People act like he was the only guy in that secondary getting torched every weekend. Quinn was part of that secondary too & has the most infamous gaffe of that season from the Jax game but people don't look at him the same way they look at KJ.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #70
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

McCain improvement is reason Harris did not play much, imo. I really like direction our DB coaching seems to be going. KJ should take another step forward after a full off season and TC.
Old 03-26-2012   #71
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
C'mon man, he's not going to do that....you know he'll throw a TE in there somewhere!!!
Except for one thing: The TE will turn out to have played only his senior year at TE...his previous three college seasons at Right Tackle! And everyone will wonder if he'll play RT for us and not TE.
Old 03-26-2012   #72
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
If that's the case....

Will we ever see Brandon Harris? I only ask this because I think McCain's got the nickle position locked up (he played really well in that spot last season IMO), and I can see Carmichael playing the role of spelling McCain and being the 4th CB.
Brandon Harris was drafted because Brice MCcain had such a bad year at the nickel back position the year before. Last year the light came on for McCain, and he had a fine year. Thus brandon Harris never got off the bench. Why they couldn't try him at KJ's corner, I don't know.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Brandon Harris was drafted because Brice MCcain had such a bad year at the nickel back position the year before. Last year the light came on for McCain, and he had a fine year. Thus brandon Harris never got off the bench. Why they couldn't try him at KJ's corner, I don't know.
Nobody drafts a nickel back with a 2nd round pick. They damn sure don't trade back into the second to do so.

Harris was drafted because we had no proven corners on the team. Kareem, Jason Allen, & McCain were coming off the worst pass defense in the history of the game & Quin was being moved to safety.

If Wade & Joseph had the opportunity to talk to Kj & Allen, the opportunity to see them play, I doubt we would have traded up for a CB.

However, at the time it made all the sense in the world.
Old 03-27-2012   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
MSR

I generally don't quote complete posts, especially when they're this long, But it's too goo, & needs to be repeated. As far as the player, I agree with your take on Kj. However, I wouldn't know about the 2nd round grade as that depends on who else is in the draft. We took him at what 20? So you're saying there were at least 12 players that you thought provided more value for the Texans in the 2010 draft?
I'm usually too careful when I placed a ranking on prospects.
Consistently, I rated most every one of them lower than where they were drafted.
I don't have time to watch all the draft prospects, but if I do, I wouldn't have enough players (32) to be drafted in each round, LOL!

I did say (before the draft) that I can see both Jackson and McCourty in the first round.
I didn't think as highly of Kyle Wilson and he even snuck into the first round at #29.
(I had Patrick Robinson higher than him, and now Robinson has been playing better than Wilson. The Saint drafted him at #31 I believe.)

Last year, a lot of people on this board simply loved Prince Amukarama; they thought he won't make it until our draft slot. I disagreed and I was correct.
Amukarama was drafted at #19 by the Giants and didn't see much playing time (he did have a minor injury early in the year, but fully recovered.) The news from NY is that he struggled and was benched.

I said I liked Jimmy Smith better (he was drafted at #27 by the Ravens).
Similar to Prince, he incurred a minor injury early but also recovered.
He played in 12 games and started 3.
Ravens fans on their MB liked him, and it looks like he might be ready to start next year.

Once again, people have been over-expecting; some of them wanted to justify their "feelings" and kept ragging on KJ.

Right, I don't know about CB play, but my takes on them somehow eventually turn out to be much closer to reality.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #75
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Except for one thing: The TE will turn out to have played only his senior year at TE...his previous three college seasons at Right Tackle! And everyone will wonder if he'll play RT for us and not TE.
Or try to convert him to WR and say that's our guy to play opposite AJ!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #76
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say he's really bad, but I think people are setting the bar low or at a mediocre level in this case.

After the season kubiak talked up jacoby. Anybody think that means he doesn't think we can do better at wr other than Andre?

Out of all the starters on defense, kj is/was probably the weakest link.

For all the flak Allen got, kj couldn't keep him off the field. And if you think that him sharing time with Allen didn't mask some of his deficiencies you're dreaming.

We can do better at that position. Either kj will improve and hold off the competition behind him or he won't. It's really that simple, but my point is that we can do better than what we got out of him last season.
Allen is a journeyman type; he still got a pretty good contract from the Bengals.

I've always say money talks.

It doesn't make sense to me that you keep bringing up that issue about KJ couldn't keep Allen off the field.

It wasn't me who labeled KJ as "at best" a nickle back and Allen "at best" a dime back. That would be Vinny.

76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #77
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Or try to convert him to WR and say that's our guy to play opposite AJ!
I know, right?
Old 03-27-2012   #78
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Allen is a journeyman type; he still got a pretty good contract from the Bengals.

I've always say money talks.

It doesn't make sense to me that you keep bringing up that issue about KJ couldn't keep Allen off the field.
I thought I was pretty clear...

My point is that we can do better at CB2 than to have one that requires splitting time with a "journeyman type"....

And I'm not even saying KJ can't be that guy. What I'm saying is that he needs to continue to improve if he is going to be that guy.
Old 03-27-2012   #79
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He's not playing like a Pro Bowler right now. He is playing like a 2nd year corner. To expect the former, is where the disconnect is.
See, I would argue that the disconnect lies in he fact that he was a 1st round pick and we were all told by Smithiak that Kareem Jackson was the most NFL ready corner available. Well, we've seen the other corners taken in that draft perform better, even if they weren't world beaters themselves. One of them has even been to a Pro Bowl. THAT is the disconnect, IMO.
Old 03-27-2012   #80
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
See, I would argue that the disconnect lies in he fact that he was a 1st round pick and we were all told by Smithiak that Kareem Jackson was the most NFL ready corner available. Well, we've seen the other corners taken in that draft perform better, even if they weren't world beaters themselves. One of them has even been to a Pro Bowl. THAT is the disconnect, IMO.
I didn't respond to that post because I pretty much disagreed with all of it.

Not sure why people automatically go to the pro bowler argument as if that's the next step up...

The next step up for Kareem is not pro bowler...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read