Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2012   #1
GhostRaider2007
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respectedGhostRaider2007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade Phillips affirms Kareem Jackson as Texans’ No. 2 CB

Link:
http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/0...exans-no-2-cb/
Quote:
Wade Phillips affirms Kareem Jackson as Texans’ No. 2 CB

Posted by Nick Scurfield on March 21, 2012 – 4:36 pm

As a guest on the new “Texans All Access” show on SportsRadio 610 on Tuesday afternoon, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was asked about the Texans’ No. 2 cornerback situation heading into next season.

The question from “All Access” co-host/former Texans defensive end N.D. Kalu went like this: With Brice McCain, Sherrick McManis and 2011 second-round pick Brandon Harris all on the roster, does Phillips plan for an open competition opposite Pro Bowl corner Johnathan Joseph, or does he feel like Kareem Jackson is the starter?

“I think Kareem’s the starter,” Phillips said. “He started most of the games [last season]. Jason Allen played a lot for us. Of course, Jason went to Cincinnati. So, Kareem had a good year. Part of it was we had a good year defensively, but he had something to do with that. He played physical like we thought he would and he obviously played better than he did previously, and that was a big plus for us.”

Jackson started 13 games in 2011 in his second season out of Alabama. Allen, who signed with the Bengals this weekend as an unrestricted free agent, rotated with Jackson and started four games.

A first-round draft pick in 2010, Jackson gets more criticism from fans than any Texans player this side of Jacoby Jones. Much of it stems from his rookie season, when he was victimized on numerous big plays as a 16-game starter for the Texans’ 32nd-ranked passing defense.

“I mean, you could be on him, but we were, what – second in the league in pass defense or third?” Phillips said [the Texans ranked third with 189.7 yards allowed per game]. “He’s part of a secondary that all works together, and he did his part. He didn’t let us down. I thought I think certainly everybody can improve, including Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning and those guys and myself. We can all improve some, but I thought he improved a lot last year. He made a big step forward and he became a starter and played good enough to play with a team that did well pass defense-wise, and that was really the big difference in our team last year, defensively, certainly, after giving up so many yards the year before.”
GhostRaider2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips affirms Kareem Jackson as Texans’ No. 2 CB

I like Jackson's improvement in year 2 and would easily rate him in the top 64 corners league wide after his 2011 performance. He caught some flak for some of the receptions he gave up in the playoffs, but from what I could see, those were just spectacular catches that Joseph couldn't have stopped in that situation.

I'm very comfortable going into this season with him tying up #2 WRs and I was one of his biggest critics after a train wreck rookie campaign.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

IM proud of Jackson hes improved from rookie season to year 2 now in year 3 he should only get better

im telling u we could be on the verge of having two Shutdown corners on our team
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #4
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 102 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected

UGH. Freeze frame any throw to KJ's receiver in 2011 and you will either see KJ looking away from the ball or falling down. He may have had great plays this year, however i think that is more luck of the draw than anything.
Endcoachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Still need another CB or two in the Don't-Touch-The-QB league.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #6
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

and i thought demeco getting traded was bad.
Old 03-21-2012   #7
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
UGH. Freeze frame any throw to KJ's receiver in 2011 and you will either see KJ looking away from the ball or falling down. He may have had great plays this year, however i think that is more luck of the draw than anything.
KJ had some big problems on deep balls because he can`t locate the ball when his back is to the QB. I guess that a lot of coaching and a lot of work will be put in this offseason to correct that.

But when he was facing the QB he played really, really well - and not just covering his man, but also in run support and helping the other dbs.

In his first years KJ was burnt on many slants and was fooled by many WRs with double moves - he drastically improved in that area. So I think there is hope, that this year he can improve on the deep balls as well.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-21-2012   #8
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
KJ had some big problems on deep balls because he can`t locate the ball when his back is to the QB. I guess that a lot of coaching and a lot of work will be put in this offseason to correct that.

But when he was facing the QB he played really, really well - and not just covering his man, but also in run support and helping the other dbs.

In his first years KJ was burnt on many slants and was fooled by many WRs with double moves - he drastically improved in that area. So I think there is hope, that this year he can improve on the deep balls as well.
the problem is that last season we always had consistent pressure on the QB that the WR rarely even had a chance to put a double move on KJ. Lets not forget he did get burned pretty bad a few times. Thanks to Julio of the falcons dropping the ball we managed to hang on for that win.

If we dont get consistent pressure on the QB that is when i will be concerned cause that is when he will get exposed. like in 2010
Old 03-21-2012   #9
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering his only competition last year went to the Bengals, I really don't see how this is news...
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Considering his only competition last year went to the Bengals, I really don't see how this is news...
Yeah, I don't get why this is news worthy.

Of course kj is the #2 corner. Who the he'll else would it be?

If he plays well enough to hold on to that job he'll keep it. But if someone else obviously outplays him I think the other guy would take some snaps.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Call me crazy but I look forward to seeing what Roc Carmichael can bring. I think last year he was "red-shirted" and he's the reason why Allen was let go.

Food for thought. Let's see how this all plays out. In Wade I Trust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

In Wade, we trust??

Maybe Wade knows something we don't? Maybe Wade thinks more of KJ than we all do... I'll bite..............

For the time being.
Old 03-21-2012   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Yall are all aware of that little stat about 2nd year Wade Phillips defenses having a down year, no?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #14
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yall are all aware of that little stat about 2nd year Wade Phillips defenses having a down year, no?
We can have a down year and still be top 5, so hopefully we can live with that.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
We can have a down year and still be top 5, so hopefully we can live with that.
An offense or defense in the top ten is always something to be proud of. Top five is even better.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #16
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Still need another CB or two in the Don't-Touch-The-QB league.
If you look at the league there few great QB's and some decent QB's.... That's why they are protected.
Fili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that KJ had better year but that was due largely to improvement of over all D especially moving him opposite a probowler and putting better safeties in backfield. We will see what coaching can do for him. I still want to see Harris and Carmichael on field.
Old 03-21-2012   #18
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

If that's the case....

Will we ever see Brandon Harris? I only ask this because I think McCain's got the nickle position locked up (he played really well in that spot last season IMO), and I can see Carmichael playing the role of spelling McCain and being the 4th CB.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Really? Thorn are you kidding me??

While I'm a quarter of your age, why do you have to post in such small font??? I'm getting older myself!!
Old 03-21-2012   #20
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I just have to say that if Wade says it, I believe it. He's earned that thus far in my book.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read