Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-21-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kendall Wright's Pro day

Ran 4.46 & 4.41
The 4.46-second performance should go a long way in establishing Wright as a late first-round pick with a likely destination in Cleveland at pick No. 22 in the draft.

Wright earned All-American honors in 2011 with 108 catches, 1,663 yards and 14 touchdowns, finishing his career as the most prolific wide receiver in Baylor history.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-stock-way-up
Old 03-21-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 384747 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kendall Wright's Pro day

Yep. Kid is a play maker.

Hand timed at the Combine people had him at 4.47. Don't know how they managed to screw that pooch, but NFL needs to fix it. Hurts players.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

He's still kinda small.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
He's still kinda small.
So is Steve Smith.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #5
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
So is Steve Smith.
And he's also a 10 year vet. All im saying is that I prefer a little size and bulk with a WR so you know they can withstand the hits in the NFL and out-leap the DB's.
Old 03-21-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And he's also a 10 year vet. All im saying is that I prefer a little size and bulk with a WR so you know they can withstand the hits in the NFL and out-leap the DB's.
Not sure what smith being a ten year vet has to do with him being a very talented small receiver. My point is that I'd rather have steve smith that mike Williams. An I'd rather have Calvin Johnson over both.

I like height too...as long as it comes with talent. But I'm not going to pass up a guy I think is extremely talented just to take a guy that is taller but less talented.

Either the texans think wright is talented enough to take or they met with him to throw everyone off. I'm more inclined to think they have actual interest in him.
Old 03-21-2012   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Smith has got a case of the Enrons, so I fully expect us to pass on this ten year talent.
Old 03-21-2012   #8
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Not sure what smith being a ten year vet has to do with him being a very talented small receiver. My point is that I'd rather have steve smith that mike Williams. An I'd rather have Calvin Johnson over both.

I like height too...as long as it comes with talent. But I'm not going to pass up a guy I think is extremely talented just to take a guy that is taller but less talented.

Either the texans think wright is talented enough to take or they met with him to throw everyone off. I'm more inclined to think they have actual interest in him.
My point is that Steve Smith isn't good because he is small. He is good because he has been around the block and knows how to play the game. We obviously think of Wright differently. Yes he is talented, but I think Wright should be selected high second round. An example would be DeSean Jackson who I think was better coming out of college and went high two.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2012   #9
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Hand timed at the Combine people had him at 4.47. Don't know how they managed to screw that pooch, but NFL needs to fix it. Hurts players.
He was electronically timed at 4.6 because his hand moved first and they use the electronic time as the "official" time.

We all knew he was fast. You don't need a forty-yard dash to prove it. Just watch the film.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
5'10 1/4 with 39 vertical leap. He historically has gone up against bigger defenders and brought the ball down in traffic. If one watched his games, it was not all RG3. Wright is a baller and so is Jordan White.
Old 03-21-2012   #11
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

And electronically timed at 4.6 because that method always records a slower time.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
And electronically timed at 4.6 because that method always records a slower time.
So Hill ran faster than 4.46? WHew!
Old 03-22-2012   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When did this happen?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #14
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Electronically times are slower, but they should be more accurate. I'm surprised they don't use a set up similar to track and field. Where the timer starts off a gun and and an electronic beam stops the timer.

Wright's slower combine time was due to a poor start, he just didn't get off the line well. The 40 is too short of a race to overcome a bad start.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
When did this happen?
At his pro day. It was reported somewhere here on the board and McClain also reported it on 610. Said the texans were the first team he spoke with.

Last edited by Rey; 03-23-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2012   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

So what if we use the 4th we got from Philly and somehow use that to trade spots with Cleveland at #22 if Wright is there?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My point is that Steve Smith isn't good because he is small.
Huh???

Who said a guy is good because they are small?

My point is that him being small doesn't keep him from being good...and in a lot of cases better than some of his bigger counterparts...

Quote:
He is good because he has been around the block and knows how to play the game.
Steve Smith has been good for a while. He didn't just become good with experience. Not even sure what you are saying here.

Quote:
We obviously think of Wright differently. Yes he is talented, but I think Wright should be selected high second round. An example would be DeSean Jackson who I think was better coming out of college and went high two.
DeSean Jackson has the talent to be a difference maker on offense and special teams. His ****ty attitue is what drops his value, but the talent is there.

And I don't think Wright and Desean really compare...Wright is a bit more solidly built, he catches balls in traffic better, but he doesn't have the wheels that Desean does.
Old 03-23-2012   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Like I said, I needed to see Wright to run a 4.37 consistently to put him the first round (or at least a consitent 4.39). He didn't.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #19
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Like I said, I needed to see Wright to run a 4.37 consistently to put him the first round (or at least a consitent 4.39). He didn't.
Why a 4.37 specifically? Walterfootball had him at a 4.41 at his pro day. In a track meet a .04 difference would essentially be a photo finish. Why would that infantessimal difference in speed make any difference on a football field?
Old 03-23-2012   #20
otisbean
All Pro

For the record, Steve Smith ran a 4.41 40 in 01. I can guarantee you if there was a redo of that draft he'd go in rd 1

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...r=2001&genpos=

These ultra small differences in speed are only important in track and field where the absolute fastest time matters.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read