Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 04-03-2012   #141
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sean Payton suspended one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Starting to sound like part of Saints motivation here is to discover/expose the "whistleblower".

Saints and NFL better be careful there...
Yeah, I wouldn't put it past them to put a real bounty on that guy's head...
Old 04-03-2012   #142
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I agree that it is wrong, and that it shouldn't be tolerated, but I don't think the player should be banned from the league. What do you think AJ was trying to do here? Get a mosquito off Finnegan's ear?
Interesting point, one in which I wasn't thinking of when I made my post. But AJ and Finnegan was a spur of the moment fight in one game, not a long lasting conspiracy over multiple seasons to deliberately injure other players. I think an easily defined distinction can be made between the two cases.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #143
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Interesting point, one in which I wasn't thinking of when I made my post. But AJ and Finnegan was a spur of the moment fight in one game, not a long lasting conspiracy over multiple seasons to deliberately injure other players. I think an easily defined distinction can be made between the two cases.
So basically don't try to hurt someone in the course of the play, instead throw haymakers and beat the guy in the head like a hockey fight? C'mon, this is the most obvious form of "intent to injure" you can find in the NFL. Heat of the moment and all that for sure, but we have the difference of a couple individuals losing their cool, and a bunch of coaches directing and paying players to make cheap hits on opponents to take them out of the game.

So is it the money incentives, the coach's direction, or the player's 'intent to injure' that is the defining factor? Because AJ/Finnegan fight meets only 1 of those criteria.
Old 04-03-2012   #144
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 118327 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
So basically don't try to hurt someone in the course of the play, instead throw haymakers and beat the guy in the head like a hockey fight? C'mon, this is the most obvious form of "intent to injure" you can find in the NFL. Heat of the moment and all that for sure, but we have the difference of a couple individuals losing their cool, and a bunch of coaches directing and paying players to make cheap hits on opponents to take them out of the game.

So is it the money incentives, the coach's direction, or the player's 'intent to injure' that is the defining factor? Because AJ/Finnegan fight meets only 1 of those criteria.
I don't know about the "haymaker" comment but that's another thing.

That aside, aren't you two in agreement here in the big grand scheme of this thread's issue?
Old 04-03-2012   #145
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I don't know about the "haymaker" comment but that's another thing.

That aside, aren't you two in agreement here in the big grand scheme of this thread's issue?
Banning all the players involved from the league forever? No, I think that's excessive. Suspensions and fines? Sure I'm in favor of that.

The distinction I'm leading up to is that the coaches created, enforced, supported and incentivized the program that led to these players to the 'intent to injure' opponents. We see 'intent to injure' in some plays whether it's the AJ/Finnegan fight, or any number of vicious hits from players that are look like they fit the profile. The NFL already fines and suspends players who do that, so I think that makes sense as many of those questionable hits were fined when they happened.

The problem to me is that coaches are supposed to be people that players look to for direction, people they want to play for, and use as mentors. Those guys breaking the rules, encouraging poor sportsmanship and showing a general lack of morality are the guys who really need to be punished. They are supposed to be upholding the league rules, which is why they are given the authority to fine their own players for stepping out of line. They have a much higher level of responsibility within the league than the guys taking orders on the field. That's where I draw the line with the ban vs suspension debate. I'm fine with any coach/GM they want to ban over this, but I have a hard time saying the players should get banned. The NFLPA would never let that happen anyways.
Old 04-03-2012   #146
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 118327 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Banning all the players involved from the league forever? No, I think that's excessive. Suspensions and fines? Sure I'm in favor of that.

The distinction I'm leading up to is that the coaches created, enforced, supported and incentivized the program that led to these players to the 'intent to injure' opponents. We see 'intent to injure' in some plays whether it's the AJ/Finnegan fight, or any number of vicious hits from players that are look like they fit the profile. The NFL already fines and suspends players who do that, so I think that makes sense as many of those questionable hits were fined when they happened.

The problem to me is that coaches are supposed to be people that players look to for direction, people they want to play for, and use as mentors. Those guys breaking the rules, encouraging poor sportsmanship and showing a general lack of morality are the guys who really need to be punished. They are supposed to be upholding the league rules, which is why they are given the authority to fine their own players for stepping out of line. They have a much higher level of responsibility within the league than the guys taking orders on the field. That's where I draw the line with the ban vs suspension debate. I'm fine with any coach/GM they want to ban over this, but I have a hard time saying the players should get banned. The NFLPA would never let that happen anyways.
Certainly, and I agree your post, especially with the bolded. A life sentence sounds a bit harsh. A year for Peyton is really all one should expect given the history of punishments in the NFL. More than a year, maybe even five years would work better, but that's me.

I can say I did like the "indefinite" part for Loomis. Question is, what will indefinite unltimately mean in this case?
Old 04-03-2012   #147
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Premeditation.

That is the difference. And it is recognized in our legal system as well.
Old 04-03-2012   #148
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I kind of have sympathy for the players on this one, if your coach tells you to play a certain way then you've got to go out and do what your told.

In a league thats 'not for long', you do everything you can to impress your coaches and get them to keep giving you that next contract.

What is the difference, from the players side, in acting on an instruction to try to injure your opponent at every given opportunity, to acting on an instruction to back-pedal with a different technique?

The difference is on the coach, not the player. IMO
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #149
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 299943 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Premeditation.

Glass nailed it and Dutch partially answered his own question. Two huge differences - premeditation and the involvement of the coaching staff.
Old 04-04-2012   #150
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Government seems to have to get their fingers in the pie.

From the Times-Picayune: Senate panel passes resolution asking NFL to reconsider sanctions on New Orleans Saints
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #151
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 30463 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

From the Times-Picayune: Senate panel passes resolution asking NFL to reconsider sanctions on New Orleans Saints
LA State Senate. Nobody is going to care. Politicians just trying to be fans. The King of my household (myself) has declared that these sanctions are appropriate. I think the difference in the power of those resolutions is minimal.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #152
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are there so many government officials that like to poke governmental fingers where they don't belong?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #153
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Premeditation.

Bingo! That is IMO the difference in the two scenarios, and as you mention, it's also the way our legal systems sees it.
Old 04-07-2012   #154
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why are there so many government officials that like to poke governmental fingers where they don't belong?
Hey, I like to poke my fingers where they don't belong, and I'm only working for the city!!
Old 04-07-2012   #155
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm a government official! And I can poke my fingers anywhere I want! And you can't stop me! La la la la la la la!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #156
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...b-9c67cc3940b3

Saints Announce that Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Coach Joe Vitt to Assume Sean Payton Duties

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Saints' OL coach Aaron Kromer is expected to become New Orleans' interim HC during first six games, while Joe Vitt serves his suspension.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #157
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Hey Doc, Obviously you posted this a week ago, but I just now noticed it..

My first reaction is "REALLY"???? Our Government doesnt have more pressing issues? REALLYY???

As always, thanks for posting.
Old 04-12-2012   #158
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I kind of have sympathy for the players on this one, if your coach tells you to play a certain way then you've got to go out and do what your told.
Lots of Nazis in the Nuremburg Trials said the same thing: "We were just following orders. What else could we have done?" In fact, the whole country was an accessory to the crime(s).

Doing nothing can be a crime in of itself. In this instance, the players went along with the program. That's an endorsement of the policy. They're all grown men, not a hapless child.

I was thinking recently that there could have been a few moles that the NFL said, "Look, don't participate but keep us informed and you'll skate by with us when the charges get levied." So it's possible that some players did a little "something" that helped the greater good, but that's just my pet theory of the day. Mostly, however: The players are guilty in my eyes. Grown men know when something is wrong. If they didn't contact the league office or the NFLPA (and even get their attorney to document their efforts) then they deserve to be judged for their inaction. IMO.
Old 04-13-2012   #159
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hey Doc, Obviously you posted this a week ago, but I just now noticed it..

My first reaction is "REALLY"???? Our Government doesnt have more pressing issues? REALLYY???

As always, thanks for posting.
It was the Louisiana state Senate that passed that resolution, not Congress. No big surprise there, and it probably passed without debate.
Old 04-23-2012   #160
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Saints calling the Mickey Loomis Espionage reports 1000% FALSE:

Saints call Espionage reports False

Uh-OH, this could be really, really bad.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read