Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-28-2012   #121
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sean Payton suspended one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Love seeing Saints fans in a tailspin. Screw 'em.
I disagree with that sentiment, for this reason:

I went to New Orleans for a Texans game and other then the obligatory drunk dick, most fans were cool.. That said, I give a damn about the rats ass with regards to the Saints organization.
Old 03-29-2012   #122
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I disagree with that sentiment, for this reason:

I went to New Orleans for a Texans game and other then the obligatory drunk dick, most fans were cool.. That said, I give a damn about the rats ass with regards to the Saints organization.
I disagree with that sentiment because if Goodell can use the nuclear option against the Saints with fans in the crossfire, he can use it against any team.
Old 03-29-2012   #123
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I disagree with that sentiment because if Goodell can use the nuclear option against the Saints with fans in the crossfire, he can use it against any team.
I dont consider what the Saints got to be such a nuclear option , in fact I think they got off light.

They broke the rule of sportsmanship. The things we try to instill in our kids from sports at an early age. Its not whether you win or lose , its how you play the game .... Win or lose with dignity & grace.

Yes , you play to win the game .... but you go about it in the right way.

Maybe I expect too much from people .... I cant stand a cheater or a liar.

I guess they are a pretty good example of our society as a whole today tho , winning is all that matters , no matter the cost.

For what its worth , I wouldnt think it too harsh for every coach and player who was involved to be banned for life.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #124
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Why do the fans matter? They aren't involved in the equation at all, but are more like bystanders. The team hired people who did bad things, the team suffers for the bad things that their employees did. They ignored warnings from the commish several times, the commish was within his rights under the new CBA to assess the punishments given. Every punishment is legal within the CBA, the argument is merely subjective towards the commish's assessment. Whine and moan all you want about the extent of the punishment, but the owner signed off on the CBA and knew the capabilities given to the commish. Maybe next CBA they will revisit the powers bestowed upon him, but right now it's all sour grapes, just like the Cowboys/Redskins cap issues.
Old 03-30-2012   #125
majestrate
Veteran

Rep Power: 6672 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
They broke the rule of sportsmanship. The things we try to instill in our kids from sports at an early age. Its not whether you win or lose , its how you play the game .... Win or lose with dignity & grace.

I guess they are a pretty good example of our society as a whole today tho , winning is all that matters , no matter the cost.
Rep'd
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #126
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont consider what the Saints got to be such a nuclear option , in fact I think they got off light.

For what its worth , I wouldnt think it too harsh for every coach and player who was involved to be banned for life.
rep"d!

Fans have to suck it up and take crap all the time! What makes Saints fans so special? The NFL is a BUSINESS, which is a term that has been used repeatedly this year, esp since Demeco's trade. A business makes rules and is EXPECTED to follow them. The Saints broke the rules in a major way, and Sean Payton was a major player in a horrendous scheme to deliberately injure players. He doesn't deserve to be in the NFL PERIOD!! JMO!!! The penalty is way to light! Using the "fans" as an excuse is just wrong..IMHO anyway!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #127
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

My question is: If this is such a heinous "crime" and the NFL has been watching it and warning teams about this since at least 2007 (that's damn near five years) why now? Why did Goodell not start handing out suspensions in 2008 or 2009?? What other teams were on his "radar" and why haven't those teams/names been brought to light??

Let's be real. The severity of the punishment is not about the crime. The punishment was severe because Goodell thought he'd been lied to. It's about Goodell's ego plain & simple.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2012   #128
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
My question is: If this is such a heinous "crime" and the NFL has been watching it and warning teams about this since at least 2007 (that's damn near five years) why now? Why did Goodell not start handing out suspensions in 2008 or 2009?? What other teams were on his "radar" and why haven't those teams/names been brought to light??

Let's be real. The severity of the punishment is not about the crime. The punishment was severe because Goodell thought he'd been lied to. It's about Goodell's ego plain & simple.
Of course, the bring lied to is adding to the penalty. Most of us know that from chlldhood and we even have the trite statement "the cover-up is worse than the crime." In this way, goddell is acting no different than most people do.

That said, the overall emphasis on player safety is not some grand humanitarian awakening by the NFL. The league is getting sued currently by former players and these will continue if the NFL does not show that it is trying to make the game "safe" as possible.
Old 03-31-2012   #129
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Yep

The coverup is almost always worse than the crime.

For the record, If I were a Saints fan the punishment is well worth a Lombardi Trophy. Nobody got killed/career ended)

Goodell is ruining the game I love. Even though I agree with the punishment in this case.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 03-31-2012 at 11:22 AM.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #130
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

The coverup is almost always worse than the crime.

For the record, If I were a Saints fan the punishment is well worth a Lombardi Trophy. Nobody got killed/career ended)

Goodell is ruining the game I love. Even though I agree with the punishment in this case.
Kurt Warner and Brett Favre would beg to differ.
Old 03-31-2012   #131
JPPT1974
List is Life

Rep Power: 864 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Parcells aka the Tuna might be coming to the Saints rescue. Would not be surprised if he did.
Old 04-01-2012   #132
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard (on NFLN) Sean Payton is appealing his suspension. I'd just as soon he got kicked out of the NFL permanently.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #133
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I heard (on NFLN) Sean Payton is appealing his suspension. I'd just as soon he got kicked out of the NFL permanently.
You're up early. Thirsty ?
Old 04-01-2012   #134
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Must spread rep Thorn! I agree!! Won't happen, but, it should!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #135
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. Due to the nature of the sport, the risk for career ending injuries can occur during any practice or gameday. IMO, placing bounties to speed up the process should not be acceptable.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #136
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Appeals may focus on disconnect between bounties, on-field actions

QUOTE]The NFL’s internal dispute resolution system carries with it an added benefit, above and beyond the fact that the Commissioner gets to make the decision and then determine whether he made the right decision: The in-house appeal process keeps most of the arguments and facts out of the public eye.

In contrast to courtroom proceedings, which are subject to full public exposure, the only way we’ll know anything about anything that happens during the Saints’ bounty appeals is if someone leaks something.

Here’s a little something that has leaked in advance of the hearings.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the appeals may consist of arguments based on the fundamental difference between the placement of “bounties” on players and the actual infliction of injury. If, in other words, the offer of cash for a “cart-off” didn’t actually result in a player being carted off, the situation arguably becomes a case of intent without a crime.

Then there’s the possibility that, as it relates to the infliction of injuries, the bounty concept was more hyperbole than reality, with the promise of payments for knocking offensive players out of the game simply a device for getting the defensive players properly motivated to play with reckless abandon and appropriate zeal, different in form but no different in substance from the many other ways that teams get players fired up before games.

Also, one or more of the appeals could focus on the unexplored question of whether other teams did the same or similar things, and thus whether it’s objectively fair to nail the Saints simply because, more than two years after the league investigated the situation and got nowhere, a whistleblower blew the case open. Nailing the Saints for something that other teams quite possibly have been doing, but that the NFL hasn’t fully investigated, could be painted as inequitable.

Moreover, there’s an unwillingness to accept without scrutiny the work of NFL Security, which somehow was duped by the Saints in 2010, and which otherwise was unable to catch the Saints without the help of a whistleblower. The raw data generated by NFL Security undoubtedly will be studied and picked apart and, wherever justified, attacked as flawed.

In the end, it may not matter, given that the same office that imposed the penalties is reviewing them. At this point, any softening of the penalties will create the impression that the league has decided to tolerate bounties.

So while it may not be fair for the Saints to be the scapegoats, the league has little choice. And the league will undoubtedly justify the punishment based on the fact that the Saints lied about the existence of the bounty system in 2009 — and that the Saints continued to brazenly use bounties for two seasons after the league investigated the situation.[/quote]
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #137
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Intent to commit a crime constitutes a crime in itself though no?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #138
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Starting to sound like part of Saints motivation here is to discover/expose the "whistleblower".

Saints and NFL better be careful there...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #139
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Starting to sound like part of Saints motivation here is to discover/expose the "whistleblower".

Saints and NFL better be careful there...
My feelings is anyone, and that means ANYONE, who has participated in any program that has the intent to injure other players, should be out of the NFL for good.

Playing hard and hitting hard is one thing, we all like that. We also love the slow motion violence the NFL provides us during game coverage. That's just the way it is. But playing with the INTENT TO INJURE another player is just wrong, and should never be tolerated.

Never.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #140
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
My feelings is anyone, and that means ANYONE, who has participated in any program that has the intent to injure other players, should be out of the NFL for good.

Playing hard and hitting hard is one thing, we all like that. We also love the slow motion violence the NFL provides us during game coverage. That's just the way it is. But playing with the INTENT TO INJURE another player is just wrong, and should never be tolerated.

Never.
I agree that it is wrong, and that it shouldn't be tolerated, but I don't think the player should be banned from the league. What do you think AJ was trying to do here? Get a mosquito off Finnegan's ear?

They were obviously trying to injure each other, and I would have been fine with them getting suspended a couple games, but any more than that would be excessive. There are guys who go out there trying to hurt other players, it happens in a tough contact sport, but it's difficult to identify the intent to do so.

I think the coaches are much more culpable in this instance because it was a system designed and implemented by the DC. I don't think many of the players involved would have been attacking opposing players the way they did without this system and the direction of the coaches. The players are soldiers and are somewhat products of the team culture. Throw these same players into the mix at Houston, and they won't be playing the same way.

The HC and GM tacitly approved the system too, so that's why they deserve the fines and suspensions. Also, there is the whole lying to the commish thing. I'm sure that didn't help their cases.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read