Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2012   #21
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Graham's got this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Yeah, and hopefully Schaub will turn into Brady...
IDK if he's on the level of Brady Quinn just yet.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #22
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'd be all for trading OD now if we could get something decent for him. I'd take a 3rd round pick.
I'm not for trading Daniels... He's one player actually worth what he's making now... He was clutch in key situations last year... I don't mean he caught good balls like he was supposed to, he turned a few trash passes into first downs.. he's a big threat..

I want OD here in this offense...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #23
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you guys have the wrong picture for how the offense works. Kukiak system has two tight ends. One is a more run-oriented tight end such as Mark Bruenner and Joel Dressen. The other tight end is more receiving oriented like Owen Daniels. Each tight participates in the other area, that is run-oriented tight end catches and pass-oriented tight end receives. However, each has a specialty.

Having said that, Garrett Graham is a receiving-oriented tight end. If he had stepped up, then OD would be expendable. As such, he is currently a backup if OD goes down. I believe if Dreesen is signed by another team (which I do not expect), then the run-oriented starter is not currently on the roster.
TexansRule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #24
majestrate
Veteran

Section: 308 17/18
Rep Power: 5020 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

But isn't Casey another run-oriented TE? (I mean when he's on the field and not acting as a FB)
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #25
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Casey is a possibility. As a player, he gives the team a lot of flexibility. I think he is likely to remain FB and that they would look some where else to replace Dreesen.

I still believe that Dreesen in a Texans uniform is the most likely outcome.
Old 03-21-2012   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansRule1 View Post
I think you guys have the wrong picture for how the offense works. Kukiak system has two tight ends. One is a more run-oriented tight end such as Mark Bruenner and Joel Dressen. The other tight end is more receiving oriented like Owen Daniels. Each tight participates in the other area, that is run-oriented tight end catches and pass-oriented tight end receives. However, each has a specialty.

Having said that, Garrett Graham is a receiving-oriented tight end. If he had stepped up, then OD would be expendable. As such, he is currently a backup if OD goes down. I believe if Dreesen is signed by another team (which I do not expect), then the run-oriented starter is not currently on the roster.
Where are you getting this from?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #27
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Huh???

Kubiak inherited Bruener in 2006. Sure he stuck around for two years under Kubiak but Owen was drafted that same year.

Is Dreessen a better blocker than OD? Sure, but that's not why Dreessen sees the field exclusively. This just in, Kubiak likes versatile TE's. OD, Dreessen, James Casey and *ahem* Shannon Sharpe types. I'm not sure about Graham, simply because I haven't seen enough of him, but at the same time I'm sure he fits the same mold.
Old 03-21-2012   #28
TexansRule1
Rookie

Here is one example of an article talking about Texans liking both a running and a blocking tight end in two TE formation sets with a touch of history to go with it. I'm sure I could dip back to even Kubiak's days with the Broncos to show it further.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...-end-addiction
Old 03-21-2012   #29
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

With Dreessen interviewing in Bengals, he would still be interviewing for a backup job. The Bengals' TE Jermaine Gresham had a very good year for them.......and they have always run single TE formations.

Since going to the Bengals would:

A) not be to enjoy a nonchaotic atmosphere

B) not be for a starting position

C) not be to be in a high-powered offense

Then the only reason he would sign would be for significantly more money........which he may not be offered for a backup position.

He has been a very "clutch" player for the Texans. My guess is that the Texans will probably be given the chance to match a Bengals offer. Now whether they can or not...............
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here is one example of an article talking about Texans liking both a running and a blocking tight end in two TE formation sets with a touch of history to go with it. I'm sure I could dip back to even Kubiak's days with the Broncos to show it further.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...-end-addiction
The person who wrote that used to post here quite frequently...I wouldn't take that article as gospel even though I'm sure there's some good information in it.

I didn't read the article, but I skimmed over it and I didn't see any quotes from the team saying this.

Dreesen is a decent blocker and so is OD, but where they help this team the most is with their pass catching.

The only big run blocking type of TE that I can remember us drafting was Hill and he's no longer with the team...

Casey, OD, and Grahm are all more pass catcher than run blockers, though I wouldn't say they are bad at run blocking...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #31
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 24813 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, there was really only one Graham on the field tonight against the Saints, and it wasn't that * cough * kicker, and his name wasn't Jimmy, either.

4 catches for 97 yards.

In fact, this TE by the name of Garrett Graham is the Texans' leading pre-season reciever.

7 catches, 141 yards, 20.1 yards average.

That's not average.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #32
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Graham was impressive tonight. It's good to finally see him stepping up.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was never worried about Graham in the passing game.

That said, let's see him catch some ball in the regular season.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #34
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I was never worried about Graham in the passing game.

That said, let's see him catch some ball in the regular season.
Agree. But I watched him in the blocking scheme and saw him seemingly weak and sometimes almost lost.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #35
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Graham's got this!

Joel who?.....I am not worried about that anymore.
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #36
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh wait, wrong Graham.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #37
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8237 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Graham was fantastic in the passing game tonight.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #38
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

GGraham was pretty impressive today. He'll probably be like Joel where most defenses doesn't cover him and he'll end up hurting them. This will pretty much be his first season since he hasn't played much the last two year. Watch out for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post

Oh wait, wrong Graham.
Illegal touching, anyways.
Old 08-26-2012   #39
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Agree. But I watched him in the blocking scheme and saw him seemingly weak and sometimes almost lost.
I'll go back and watch him.
Our TEs lost out on the block from time to time (including Dreessen) and I know I complaint about OD a few years back as well.

Blocking wasn't Graham's forte out of college, but it wasn't a weakness, either.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #40
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

He was getting WIDE open last night. Definitely has the hands to replace Dreesen and even rumbled down the field too. Trade off is blocking but I think with reps he'll be a competent blocker.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read