Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2012   #1
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The forgotton WRs?

The Texans have a few interesting WR prospects nobody seems to be talking about.

1. Juaquin Iglesias, 6'1, 210, drafted: 2009, 3rd round
Never really got a chance with the Bears and had a couple of injuries. Was positively compared to Bobby Engram in college.

2. LeStar Jean, 6'3, 215, UDFA 2011
Everyone probably remembers him coming along in Preseason only to unfortunately suffer a season ending injury. Now he is fully healthy and ready to go. He is not a burner, but he could be a very good WR going forward.

3. Jeff Maehl, 6'0, 190, UDFA
He is shifty, has good hands, and can break out big plays.

While none of them offer Jones' track speed, all three of them have good hands, are good route runners, and made big plays in college when given the opportunity.

Keep these names in mind when we don't see the Texans go WR before the 4th round.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The forgotton WRs?

Let them have a shot, but I would feel very uneasy if any one of those guys were anything higher than our #3 WR next year.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can hardly wait to see these young'uns in camp. They need to press hard for playing time. I think all WRs not named Andre Johnson should be fighting for their NFL lives this camp.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

projects...got 'em in camp every year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #5
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

i love jean and maehl but i still think we go WR in the first 2 rounds unless two players fall and we get toooo much value out of them.

Both were UDFA so i think a player in the first or 2nd round would be a better fit.

you could go into the season like this
AJ
KW
Rookie
Jean
Maehl

but it will probably end up like this because kubiack doesn't like to trust young WR early:

AJ
KW
JJ
Rookie
Jean
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #6
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Let them have a shot, but I would feel very uneasy if any one of those guys were anything higher than our #3 WR next year.
I am especially interested in LeStar. He did some really good work in camp last year and Kubes was pretty impressed. That's a good thing for him. I would not be surprised to see LeStar start mid year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Can hardly wait to see these young'uns in camp. They need to press hard for playing time. I think all WRs not named Andre Johnson should be fighting for their NFL lives this camp.
I think this is the attitude every WR should have. I think we will see AJ and Walter start as the WRs with Jones in the slot. However, don't be surprised to see LeStar grab the spot from Jacoby mid season.

Old 03-19-2012   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
projects...got 'em in camp every year.
didn't Brisiel start out as a project also?

of course, our WR coach doesn't appear to be as prolific as our O-line coach seems to be...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2012   #8
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
didn't Brisiel start out as a project also?

of course, our WR coach doesn't appear to be as prolific as our O-line coach seems to be...
If you're undrafted, I think it's safe to say that you're a "project" in camp.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #9
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i love jean and maehl but i still think we go WR in the first 2 rounds unless two players fall and we get toooo much value out of them.

Both were UDFA so i think a player in the first or 2nd round would be a better fit.

you could go into the season like this
AJ
KW
Rookie
Jean
Maehl

but it will probably end up like this because kubiack doesn't like to trust young WR early:

AJ
KW
JJ
Rookie
Jean
I think the Texans will go BPA rather than reach for a need. I would say WR is not as dire as say OL or OLB. FOr example, the team is very thin at OG. Konz could come in and start at RG over Caldwell. Caldwell could then transition back to OG depth. Konz could also cover as the backup OC. Outside of Reed/Barwin all the team has is Braman ans Nading. I would feel more comfortable with another big time OLB(maybe a second rounder) to compliment the team.

So, maybe a third round wr?

Old 03-19-2012   #10
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7120 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

We need speed period. Someone to keep the safeties honest and open up the run game, and create big plays off the play action. We are sorely lacking speed. Only AJ and Jacob have it, and Jacob is completely unreliable and overpaid. If we get a WR early he needs to be at least somewhat of a burner or to me we are missing the point. Also it might be good to get a project mid to late who can run. Wr is the weakest part of our team bottom line.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #11
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I think the Texans will go BPA rather than reach for a need. I would say WR is not as dire as say OL or OLB. FOr example, the team is very thin at OG. Konz could come in and start at RG over Caldwell. Caldwell could then transition back to OG depth. Konz could also cover as the backup OC. Outside of Reed/Barwin all the team has is Braman ans Nading. I would feel more comfortable with another big time OLB(maybe a second rounder) to compliment the team.

i think that the texans won't pick an O-lineman in the first 3 rounds based of their philosophy. apart from Brown which other o-lineman we drafted in the first half of the draft. OL is a position where we can pick up later in the draft but still fits our scheme really well.

I Agree with you that OL is important and should be address early just don't think thats how the texans FO works.

In regards to OLB you can use the same analogy for WR.
Outside of AJ and KW (who is a B grader anyway and would be better in the slot) who do we have...JJ, and project players.

Im not saying reaching for a WR, thats why you'll probably find better value in the 2nd. As i said unless someone they have really high on their board falls i see the texans targeting a WR in the first 2 rounds.
Old 03-19-2012   #12
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
We need speed period. Someone to keep the safeties honest and open up the run game, and create big plays off the play action. We are sorely lacking speed. Only AJ and Jacob have it, and Jacob is completely unreliable and overpaid. If we get a WR early he needs to be at least somewhat of a burner or to me we are missing the point. Also it might be good to get a project mid to late who can run. Wr is the weakest part of our team bottom line.

I posted this is the college/draft section of the forum....

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...9-a0445b82f5a9

towards the end of the interview, mcnair was asked how where and what kind of WR houston will target.

He responded with in the draft and put a lot of emphasis on speed.
Said the guys in FA a similar to what we have already and again we need more speed.
Old 03-19-2012   #13
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i think that the texans won't pick an O-lineman in the first 3 rounds based of their philosophy. apart from Brown which other o-lineman we drafted in the first half of the draft. OL is a position where we can pick up later in the draft but still fits our scheme really well.

I Agree with you that OL is important and should be address early just don't think thats how the texans FO works.

In regards to OLB you can use the same analogy for WR.
Outside of AJ and KW (who is a B grader anyway and would be better in the slot) who do we have...JJ, and project players.

Im not saying reaching for a WR, thats why you'll probably find better value in the 2nd. As i said unless someone they have really high on their board falls i see the texans targeting a WR in the first 2 rounds.
Agreed, the Texans have only taken 1 OL in the first rounder: Brown. By the same token, the Texans traded down to #26 to get Brown. But, I could also say that in the Kubiak era, the Texans have taken

they have also only taken a WR in the first 3 rounds once.

2006: Mario WIlliams, Demeco Ryans, Winston/Spencer
2007: Amobi Okoye, no second, Jacoby Jones
2008: Duane Brown, no second, Moulden, Steve Slaton
2009: Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Caldwell
2010:Kareem Jackson, Ben Tate, Earl Mitchell
2011: JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris

In fact, if you look at Kubiak era drafts the Texans have drafted 3 WRs: Jacoby Jones in the third in 2007 and Trindon Holliday in the 6th in 2010.

Kubes has never taken a first or second round WR in the draft. If we went on pure trends, we see a defensive front 7 player taken in the first or second round 70% of the time (7/10).

Old 03-19-2012   #14
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Agreed, the Texans have only taken 1 OL in the first rounder: Brown. By the same token, the Texans traded down to #26 to get Brown. But, I could also say that in the Kubiak era, the Texans have taken

they have also only taken a WR in the first 3 rounds once.

2006: Mario WIlliams, Demeco Ryans, Winston/Spencer
2007: Amobi Okoye, no second, Jacoby Jones
2008: Duane Brown, no second, Moulden, Steve Slaton
2009: Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Caldwell
2010:Kareem Jackson, Ben Tate, Earl Mitchell
2011: JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris

In fact, if you look at Kubiak era drafts the Texans have drafted 3 WRs: Jacoby Jones in the third in 2007 and Trindon Holliday in the 6th in 2010.

Kubes has never taken a first or second round WR in the draft. If we went on pure trends, we see a defensive front 7 player taken in the first or second round 70% of the time (7/10).
yeah this could be a tricky one.

I guess with a team with no GLARING needs, it will come down to who is higher on the texans board at the time. They'll target WR OLB OL early and whoever grades out higher will get the spot.

Steering the thread back a little though I'm really looking forward to see Jean this pre-season. I got him on tweeter seems like his been really focused and training hard, hopefully this is true and he comes out and dominates the pre-seasons
Old 03-19-2012   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans have a few interesting WR prospects nobody seems to be talking about.

1. Juaquin Iglesias,
Really?? I didn't care that much for Julio Igleasias SR. let alone, wait, especially Julio Igleasias Jr.... They're music sucked!!!! WTF is Juaquin gonna bring us??
Old 03-19-2012   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Really?.............. Really, why would y'all ever read my posts because I apparently don't know ****e!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2012   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Juaquin Iglesias, 6'1, 210, drafted: 2009, 3rd round
Never really got a chance with the Bears and had a couple of injuries. Was positively compared to Bobby Engram in college.

2. LeStar Jean, 6'3, 215, UDFA 2011
Everyone probably remembers him coming along in Preseason only to unfortunately suffer a season ending injury. Now he is fully healthy and ready to go. He is not a burner, but he could be a very good WR going forward.

3. Jeff Maehl, 6'0, 190, UDFA
He is shifty, has good hands, and can break out big plays.

While none of them offer Jones' track speed, all three of them have good hands, are good route runners, and made big plays in college when given the opportunity.

Keep these names in mind when we don't see the Texans go WR before the 4th round.
2&3 offer hope maybe like Foster his rookie year but not much else to go on. If we don't draft WR before round 4 as you indicate, I will blow my cool and be very, very unhappy. It is too easy to look back and brag on choices like Foster. Hope we are not gonna wait for lightning to strike twice.
Old 03-19-2012   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If you have research both compare Konz and Phillip Blake (Baylor). Both are C that should be able to play RG. I have Konz maybe at #26 but Blake at our third and therefore would take him. Your (and others) thoughts appreciated.
Old 03-19-2012   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody had better step up, because I have a feeling they'll be without Dre Johnson for large periods of time next season. He missed most of the past season with two injuries, both of which occurred running by himself in a straight line. He isn't getting any younger.

The lack of depth at receiver the Texans have had for years might finally catch up with them unless they fix it this free agency/draft.
Old 03-19-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Somebody had better step up, because I have a feeling they'll be without Dre Johnson for large periods of time next season. He missed most of the past season with two injuries, both of which occurred running by himself in a straight line. He isn't getting any younger.

The lack of depth at receiver the Texans have had for years might finally catch up with them unless they fix it this free agency/draft.
I think it is naive to think AJ will keep on trucking. We really need to start looking for a replacement. If he continues to be Superman well good for us.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read