Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-19-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Would you draft Stephon Gilmore...

....if he was there at 26?

Quote:
Man Coverage: Plays mostly in press-bail or off-coverage. Flashes a tough, aggressive punch after the snap in rare press coverage occasions, but may not have the strength to knock NFL receivers off their routes. Not elite transitioning forward from backpedal, will take an extra step or loop a bit when closing on slants. Lacks elite recovery and straight-line speed to stay with faster wideouts down the field if beaten on a double move or losing a step off the line.

Zone Coverage: Fits best in a zone system like he currently plays. Knows his, and others', assignments on every play. Comes out initial read quickly to stop the underneath route dead. Quick feet in off coverage to adjust to inside routes, even when playing outside technique. Explodes to plays in front of him, cutting down his target or wrapping up if able to line up the receiver. Forces turnovers and dropped passes with his ability to arrive strong at the receiver with the ball.

Ball Skills: Makes quarterbacks pay for poor throws with centerfielder-like instincts and hands. Uses his height in full advantage on jump balls, make difficult catches with his hands extended away from his frame. Excellent elusiveness after the catch that shows as a punt returner. Has solid hands and typically makes the right decision to fair catch, but does not have breakaway speed and will dance or move east-west instead of heading straight upfield.

Run Support:
Takes run support very seriously, seeking out contact. Chops down runs to his side when able, evades most receivers blocks with quickness and quick hands -- though NFL receivers will have regular success holding him up on the outside because of his slight build.

Tackling: Aggressive hitter in the secondary who plays without regard to his own safety. Best when coming downhill and cutting down ballcarriers with a low shoulder. Constantly looking to strip the football from ballcarriers while other defenders are making the tackle. Man-up tackling is a challenge for him, however, when facing a strong runner who lowers his pads or larger receivers with the length to stiff-arm him. Plays on coverage units. Brought on edge blitzes regularly when front four isn't getting there, uses quickness and big hits to create turnovers from the blind side.

Intangibles: Left after junior season with 40 career starts. Quiet, hard-working player who consistently gets praise from coaches and teammates for his work ethic and attitude. Puts in time in the film room, knows his opponents and defensive scheme inside and out. No worries about on-field effort, brings tenacious attitude on every play.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664166

I haven't seen anyone giving him much run...I think Lucky mentioned him a few days ago in another thread, but I really like what I've seen from him. He's a good athlete and an even better football player.

I know we've got Kareem and we drafted Harris last year, but man...Good corners are not easy to come by and I think this guy is going to be a good one.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would you draft Stephon Gilmore...

I like every about Gilmore except the "fits best in zone" and "might be moved to safety" insights ... I want a pure corner who can man.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Gilmore better as a cover 2 corner. I don't really see the man coverage skills to be more than just an average player in any other scheme.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I like Gilmore better as a cover 2 corner. I don't really see the man coverage skills to be more than just an average player in any other scheme.

I think he has the athleticism to be a man cover corner...

I think two things he has going in his favor are his ball skills, and his size..

So I guess I disagree that his ceiling is average corner outside of a cover 2 scheme...

I don't know about top tier status, but I think he can be a really good #2 or a borderline #1 with the right coaching and the right scheme man or zone...

I agree that he would probably be really good in a scheme that uses mostly zone since that seems to be his strong suit, but I still like his man coverage ability...
Old 03-19-2012   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

No.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think he has the athleticism to be a man cover corner...

I think two things he has going in his favor are his ball skills, and his size..

So I guess I disagree that his ceiling is average corner outside of a cover 2 scheme...

I don't know about top tier status, but I think he can be a really good #2 or a borderline #1 with the right coaching and the right scheme man or zone...
He is a great athlete. But that doesn't necessarily make him a great man cover corner. Too often he is using his athleticism to recover from a mistake instead of using it to blanket a guy.

I think he is a #1 in a zone scheme. I see him as a perfect fit.

In a man scheme he might pass for a #2, but I see him more as a nickel.

Just my opinion though.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

in my first Texan mock draft I selected Stephon Gilmore (1st) mind you this was about half way into the season & Kareem was still struggling, but as time continued he played better & better making the need to stretch for another first rd. CB unnecessary, IMO. The more I watched Gilmore the more he dissapointed me as well. Just doesn't play @ a consistent level an entire game. very gifted but not the competitor Wade Phillips identifies. I like Jayron Hosley better (2nd). He is a ballhawk & pure cover corner who can play man.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
He is a great athlete. But that doesn't necessarily make him a great man cover corner. Too often he is using his athleticism to recover from a mistake instead of using it to blanket a guy.

I understand that and that is why I said "with the right coaching" (which I think we have)....

I understand that man coverage takes a lot of technique, but having the athleticism to do it is a big part of the battle...My whole point in mentioning that was me aknowledging that he could use some refinement in that area...

I think he could immediately come into our defense and challenge for the #2 position.

JMO.
Old 03-19-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
in my first Texan mock draft I selected Stephon Gilmore (1st) mind you this was about half way into the season & Kareem was still struggling, but as time continued he played better & better making the need to stretch for another first rd. CB unnecessary, IMO. The more I watched Gilmore the more he dissapointed me as well. Just doesn't play @ a consistent level an entire game. very gifted but not the competitor Wade Phillips identifies. I like Jayron Hosley better (2nd). He is a ballhawk & pure cover corner who can play man.
That's a strange observation because that seems to be one of his strong points...
Old 03-19-2012   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a strange observation because that seems to be one of his strong points...
not strange at all if you watched his games. avoids contact end of plays not a finisher, usually standing around when not involved in play but I was hoping to see more. South Carolina as a group under-performed all season. The one player who I must say stood out was Melvin Ingram, he never took plays off, always around the ball. talk about elite talent, Ingram would be in my top 10.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in agreement with BL. Don't see a CB in draft and Gilmore not for our system. He will go high but Hosely much better as man CB. Gilmore better hitter than Hosely but not in coverage.
Old 03-19-2012   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Gilmore alot, he can press cover. Whoever wrote that piece was wrong.IMHO

I like Josh Robinson in the 2nd even more.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Good stuff, love Hosley.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

To answer the question, no, I wouldn't draft Gilmore #26.

But I would nab Trumaine Johnson there, I think he has 1st round measurables and used it to beat up on smaller schools. He needs pro coaching but he has physical gifts to be an elite press-man corner with the ability to make plays on the ball. He's either a super sized corner or decently sized FS and would be seeing regular minutes from the get go in a secondary that is hiding a lot with JJo.

It's a potential type pick, which is dangerous, will get loudly and roundly questioned, flamed and judged immediately but it's a pick on a guy who could make this secondary as feared as the front 7 is.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a big jump, imo.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Notable that Mayock has moved Stephon Gilmore to No. 2 in his cornerback rankings. Mo Claiborne is 1. Gilmore leapfrogged Dre Kirkpatrick.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
That's a big jump, imo.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Notable that Mayock has moved Stephon Gilmore to No. 2 in his cornerback rankings. Mo Claiborne is 1. Gilmore leapfrogged Dre Kirkpatrick.
I think ppl are sleeping on Gilmore. I really like his game.
Old 03-22-2012   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think ppl are sleeping on Gilmore. I really like his game.
Yep

He's a top 15 pick. Who will last until the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd.

This will be a test of Ricks we always take BPA thingy.
Old 03-22-2012   #18
LikeMike
All Pro

Rep Power: 9210 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I don`t want to draft another CB early in the draft in the near future. We have lots of young talent on the team (KJ, Harris, Carmichael just to name a few). Either we believe in our secondary drafting ability, then one of them should pan out - or we just admit that we don`t have a good eye for drafting CBs and stick to signing them in FA and continue drafting LBs, HBs and TEs ;-).

And after all, I believe there are way more pressing needs on the team, especially after this craze FA. IŽd try to get the bpa available of any WR, O-Line, OLB, ILB, NT and keep doing just that until the 4th or 5th round. The only reason to draft another position for me would be, if some amazing talent drops that we have really high expectations in.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #19
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Everything I read about Gilmore makes him sound like a solid high 2nd round CB pick that plays best in a zone system. If we took him at #26 it might be a small reach. He lacks the strength to play man press coverage but honestly that strength will come from an NFL level strength and conditioning program so I'm not to worried there. He plays off the receiver and closes well to break up the pass and tackles/hits very well. All of this sounds like even if he didn't work out at CB, he'd be a hell of a FS. He'd be risky at #26 but honestly just about everyone at #26 is risky.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 03-22-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Everything I read about Gilmore makes him sound like a solid high 2nd round CB pick that plays best in a zone system. If we took him at #26 it might be a small reach. He lacks the strength to play man press coverage but honestly that strength will come from an NFL level strength and conditioning program so I'm not to worried there. He plays off the receiver and closes well to break up the pass and tackles/hits very well. All of this sounds like even if he didn't work out at CB, he'd be a hell of a FS. He'd be risky at #26 but honestly just about everyone at #26 is risky.
Dont believe those reports, I've seen with my own eyes that he can play press coverage. You're right though he would make a great FS.

I will admit CB is the hardest position for me to evaluate. I thought Peterson would be a stud as a rookie and he was an avg CB at best. Although he did improve alot as the yr wore on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read