Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2012   #61
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2088 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Wallace to the Texans Petition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Two words: Ben Tate
Vernand Morency
Wali Lundy
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #62
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Vernand Morency
Wali Lundy
Arian Foster
Ben Tate

Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. That's the game.

But if you grab Wallace, you gonna' pay out the nose for the guy. BIG TIME. Nobody is saying he isn't good enough, it's strictly a problem of economics.
Old 03-19-2012   #63
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 11126 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
If not Mike Wallace, how about Morley Safer?
HA!

Both Morely Safer and the decaying corpse of Andy Rooney are more effective than Jacoby Jones.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #64
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Really don't see why this conversation is going on. Yes, it'd be nice to have Mike Wallace, but it would be extremely foolish to pay for him if you want to keep your core together. redwhiteblue, you have to see this.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #65
majestrate
All Pro

Rep Power: 9001 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
HA!

Both Morely Safer and the decaying corpse of Andy Rooney are more effective than Jacoby Jones.
I'm pretty sure, at this point, Andy Rooney stinks as bad as Jacoby Jones

majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #66
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27051 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

How much more money on this year's salary cap would the Texans save if they released Jacoby Jones, Kareem Jackson and Antonio Smith? Would it be enough to make Mike Wallace a fair contract offer or would it be too small and the Steelers will just match it? Losing the 26th pick for a deep downfield threat is well worth it.

Or would it just be easier to try and trade into the 3 to 5 pick range and draft Justin Blackmon? I'm thinking of a Mike Ditka for Ricky Williams type trade. We offer all of our picks in the top four rounds this year, and then add a future first, second and third next year. Not even sure if that's enough. I don't have Jimmy Johnson's value chart in front of me right now.

I'm thinking outside the box here but I want to make some type of splash this off-season. Something to give the city of Houston some buzz and excitement. It's been frustrating to be losing so many great players.
Old 03-21-2012   #67
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
How much more money on this year's salary cap would the Texans save if they released Jacoby Jones, Kareem Jackson and Antonio Smith? Would it be enough to make Mike Wallace a fair contract offer or would it be too small and the Steelers will just match it? Losing the 26th pick for a deep downfield threat is well worth it.

Or would it just be easier to try and trade into the 3 to 5 pick range and draft Justin Blackmon? I'm thinking of a Mike Ditka for Ricky Williams type trade. We offer all of our picks in the top four rounds this year, and then add a future first, second and third next year. Not even sure if that's enough. I don't have Jimmy Johnson's value chart in front of me right now.

I'm thinking outside the box here but I want to make some type of splash this off-season. Something to give the city of Houston some buzz and excitement. It's been frustrating to be losing so many great players.
Really???

Why would you blow your wad when this draft class is rich in recievers?
Old 03-21-2012   #68
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27051 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Really???

Justin Blackmon reminds me a lot of Andre Johnson. I feel like he's going to be the most pro ready as a rookie. All of those other guys are a crap shoot. Blackmon is going to be a top three WR in the NFL during his prime. He'll be taking over the game at the same time Andre is at the tail end of his career and nearing retirement.
Old 03-21-2012   #69
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Justin Blackmon reminds me a lot of Andre Johnson. I feel like he's going to be the most pro ready as a rookie. All of those other guys are a crap shoot. Blackmon is going to be a top three WR in the NFL during his prime. He'll be taking over the game at the same time Andre is at the tail end of his career and nearing retirement.
All draft choices are a crap shoot. Even at receiver.

Signed,

Mike Williams, Charles Rogers
Old 03-21-2012   #70
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 147126 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really???

That said, Wright just blasted a 4.43 40 at Baylor's pro day. I think we can darn near take him off our board now.
Old 03-21-2012   #71
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
That said, Wright just blasted a 4.43 40 at Baylor's pro day. I think we can darn near take him off our board now.
Damnit!! That was the guy I was eyeballing.
Old 03-21-2012   #72
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think both options are terrible. Removing 2 defensive starters on your team for one over priced albeit very good offensive player is a bad idea. You start severely damaging depth across the team if you do that. Being splashy just to think out of the box is not a good idea.

Getting rid of your entire draft, when you have many needs is bad for similar reasons as above. We need depth or possibly another starter in a few places on this team so more pics the better. Sorry to poop in your cherrios.

Edit:I would also add that it will cost us money to cut KJ
Old 03-21-2012   #73
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
I think both options are terrible. Removing 2 defensive starters on your team for one over priced albeit very good offensive player is a bad idea. You start severely damaging depth across the team if you do that. Being splashy just to think out of the box is not a good idea.

Getting rid of your entire draft, when you have many needs is bad for similar reasons as above. We need depth or possibly another starter in a few places on this team so more pics the better. Sorry to poop in your cherrios.

Edit:I would also add that it will cost us money to cut KJ
/END Thread!

Good post Brew!!
Old 03-21-2012   #74
NETxTexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
Wallace would not count towards comp picks because he's a RFA. They're separate because otherwise teams would get 2 picks for one player. I still don't think we would sign Wallace simply because of the money. He'd be a clear improvement opposite Andre but we can't afford him.
When people say we can't afford Wallace do they mean we would be over the cap and unable to sign rookies or do they mean we would allow ourselves little wiggle room after signing him and the rookies?

If the answer is the second one than I see no reason not to get him because he is a proven player who we would know what we are getting.

I am rooting for LeStar Jean but the reality is that even if he kicks ass throughout training camp and the pre season it is quite different many times when the regular season takes place. I would rather see Jean as a our third option if he plays well and have him learn behind Johnson and any other above average veteran receiver we would acquire.

I feel that the team can get a quality OLB beyond the third round and at least a starting talent wide out late in the second. The O-line to me now seems the most pressing need. I don't feel we need to draft a starting OLB because I feel we are set in that regards at the position. That is my opinion though.

The Texans are not going to pick up anybody of note in free agency so none of this matters. I think we will be fine. The team will at least finish with the same record as last year or maybe one game worse but there should not be a major drop off. The season after this upcoming one could be the big one for our Texans in regards to making a serious title run.
NETxTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #75
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETxTexanFan View Post
When people say we can't afford Wallace do they mean we would be over the cap and unable to sign rookies or do they mean we would allow ourselves little wiggle room after signing him and the rookies?
No. They mean you mortgage the future with depth by giving up too muchl.

Quote:
If the answer is the second one than I see no reason not to get him because he is a proven player who we would know what we are getting.
Proven? Where?? At the collegiate level??

That means diddly squat.

Signed,

Charles Rogers, Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Curt Warner, and countless others.
Old 03-21-2012   #76
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Proven? Where?? At the collegiate level??

That means diddly squat.

Signed,

Charles Rogers, Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Curt Warner, and countless others.
I'm pretty sure he was saying that Wallace is proven, and so it would be OK to give up a first round draft pick to acquire him.
Basically, you would add Wallace's salary, but because you've given up your first round draft choice as compensation for RFA, your rookie salary pool is reduced. It's not reduced enough to offset the Wallace contract, but it is reduced by a decent amount.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #77
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Restricted free agent Mike Wallace isn't drawing much NFL interest
because he wants more money than Larry Fitzgerald:
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #78
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Restricted free agent Mike Wallace isn't drawing much NFL interest
because he wants more money than Larry Fitzgerald:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...llace-but.html
Old 03-22-2012   #79
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we really having this discussion?
Old 03-22-2012   #80
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'm pretty sure he was saying that Wallace is proven, and so it would be OK to give up a first round draft pick to acquire him.
Basically, you would add Wallace's salary, but because you've given up your first round draft choice as compensation for RFA, your rookie salary pool is reduced. It's not reduced enough to offset the Wallace contract, but it is reduced by a decent amount.
Why, why would you ever drop that kind of money on an existing receiver when this is actually a very RICH receiver class... Stupid (or for the 'hipsters' - 'stoopid')

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read