Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2012   #21
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Wallace to the Texans Petition

I might be in the minority here, but I'm as giddy as a school girl with the offseason moves. The only thing I really see to gripe about is they haven't cut Jones and re-signed Dreesen.
I'm interested in what our ufa receivers from last season look like this year.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #22
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What is this place coming to???

Geez Louise.

Why would we pay Mike Wallace upwards of 8 or 9 or 10 million when we can draft and pay a rookie WR a paltry rookie salary for like, oh I don't know...four years?

We also have Lestar Jean for those with short memories. He was turning into a preseason sensation before getting hurt and I.R.'d. Him and Yates were clickin' like boneless chicken in the preseason.

Has boredom reduced us to this? Stay strong out there, guys. Meet back here tomorrow and run your thread ideas through me before posting them. I will help sort out the good ideas from the bad ideas.

Od damn GP, you made milk come out my nose on that one. Don't remember the last time I rep'd ya, but that was some funny **** right there, I don't care who you are.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #23
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why would we pay Mike Wallace upwards of 8 or 9 or 10 million when we can draft and pay a rookie WR a paltry rookie salary for like, oh I don't know...four years?
Because drafting a first round wide receiver is a crap shoot and there is no guarantee that they will be successful in the NFL.

Quote:
We also have Lestar Jean for those with short memories. He was turning into a preseason sensation before getting hurt
"preseason sensation" and "before getting hurt" are two phrases that do not instill a lot of confidence in me.
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Because drafting a first round wide receiver is a crap shoot and there is no guarantee that they will be successful in the NFL.

"preseason sensation" and "before getting hurt" are two phrases that do not instill a lot of confidence in me.
Drafting a 1st round <insert position here> is a crap shoot. Hopefully, we draft BPA and it happens to be a position of need. There's no need for the Texans to go reaching, at any position, in this draft.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #25
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Lastly, and I admit less important, I want that comp pick for giving up Mario. Signing Wallace - even if we had the cap room - may well negate that comp pick.
Wallace would not count towards comp picks because he's a RFA. They're separate because otherwise teams would get 2 picks for one player. I still don't think we would sign Wallace simply because of the money. He'd be a clear improvement opposite Andre but we can't afford him.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #26
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 03-19-2012   #27
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Meet back here tomorrow and run your thread ideas through me before posting them. I will help sort out the good ideas from the bad ideas.
GP, I was contemplating starting a Mario Williams is a Bill thread.... Thoughts??

Old 03-19-2012   #28
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I just dont see it. The Texans are more interested in keeping Dreesen, Rackers, Dobbins, Bullman and possibly signing a Shawntae Spencer.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #29
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

No one. It would be a dumb move.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #30
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Who else would love to see the Texans give up their #26 pick and sign Mike Wallace from the Steelers?
Schaub can't throw the ball far enough for Wallace lol.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #31
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Geez Louise.

We also have Lestar Jean for those with short memories. He was turning into a preseason sensation before getting hurt and I.R.'d. Him and Yates were clickin' like boneless chicken in the preseason.

Has boredom reduced us to this? Stay strong out there, guys. Meet back here tomorrow and run your thread ideas through me before posting them. I will help sort out the good ideas from the bad ideas.
Ain't it the truth? The disparity in pay between draftees and veterans is, to say the least, unfortunate.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #32
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, I know what we'd have in Mike Wallace...a WR who costs a helluva' lot of money every year AND hurts us on the cap.

Did you see the catches Lestar Jean was making in preseason? It was a acrobatic, twist around in the air, and stick to his hands like glue "stuff." He gets down the field, gets separation and makes catches. he is what Jacoby OUGHT to be right now...but isn't.

He was going to make the roster until he got hurt. That's why we had to sign Derrick Mason and Bryant Johnson toward the halfway part of the year. Had Jean been on the roster, he is WR4. With Jacoby in limbo, I think Jean could become WR3 easily. If he has the sort of camp and preseason like he did last year.

I'd rather draft and pay less than get into another Eric Moulds situation--Where we think we have a quality WR and he doesn't produce as planned. Outside of Kevin Walter, and it's a stretch to even throw Walter into the mix here, the Kubiak era has not been fortunate in signing quality Free Agent WRs.

If we have ANY money to spend, we go after our own guys first...then see what else we can do. And I bet it's not much.
Old 03-19-2012   #33
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Geez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Ain't it the truth? The disparity in pay between draftees and veterans is, to say the least, unfortunate.
Its not THAT crazy to fathom. While I dont think it is even an option (Cap wise), the help that a rookie WR can give us vs. the help Mike Wallace can give us is a HUGE disparity. How many rookie WR's come in their first season and tear the league up? 1 in 100?

If we didnt need a replacement for Mario, I would package picks this year and next to jump up and get Blackmon.
Old 03-19-2012   #34
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
How many rookie WR's come in their first season and tear the league up? 1 in 100?
This offense doesn't need a rookie WR to come in and "tear it up", they just need any WR to come in and be a decent threat/good compliment to AJ...nothing amazing is needed...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
GP, I was contemplating starting a Mario Williams is a Bill thread.... Thoughts??

LOL. Yes, FANTASTIC IDEA!

As our furry little friend here is about to find out, sometimes you shouldn't contemplate what it would be like to act on an impulse:

Old 03-19-2012   #36
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
This offense doesn't need a rookie WR to come in and "tear it up", they just need any WR to come in and be a decent threat/good compliment to AJ...nothing amazing is needed...
What does that mean to you? Can I get an example or 2 of this?
Old 03-19-2012   #37
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't see a lot of options for the Texans at #26. I think Kevin Walter is going to start over anyone they could draft at that spot, and if the Texans go OLB or DT or offensive line at #26, they won't draft a receiver until the second round and they will probably be #4 on the depth chart behind Jacoby.
what about lestar Jean? I think he is still on the team maybe he has put in the work and is rdy to step up?
Old 03-19-2012   #38
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we need jj with hands.
Old 03-19-2012   #39
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nothing specific, just a better option than what we had on the field in January... They don't need to be all-world...

Old 03-19-2012   #40
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80tothezone View Post
what about lestar Jean? I think he is still on the team maybe he has put in the work and is rdy to step up?
That could be a guy they have great confidence in, and another reason (outside of cap room) they're not chompin' at the bit for a WR in FAgency...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read