Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Williams vs Brown

What does this question even mean? What's the context?

One snap until whistle is blown dead, winner takes all? Then either can come out of it on top.

Through the course of an entire game? I think Brown could hold his own, Mario will get by him a couple of times and get a sack or two, but not enough for us to seriously worry.

Mario's style doesn't include anything particularly troubling, in fact I think it's pretty good match up for Duane.

Bills have already said they're going to utilize Mario as a LE. That means he's going to be going up against Butler...and he's going to own that battle.

3057734_o.gif

In a matchup between D. Brown and C. Norris, I'd still take D. Bown... So Williams doesn't stand a chance

T. Suggs is a much more polished pass rusher and mean D. Brown shut him down in both the games they played against each other. The week we play the Bills, if Mario is matched up against Duane, he might as well by a ticket and sit next to me in the stands, because you' ll be hearing his name about as often as mime.

Bills have already said they're going to utilize Mario as a LE. That means he's going to be going up against Butler...and he's going to own that battle.

Yep...

And I thought it was just the funniest things reading through some of those comments on the Bills board...

When Butler started at LT in '10, I don;t remember him getting beaten by bull rushes. It was the speed guys with more than one move that gave him fits.
It's going to be amusing for all of us who didn't think MW was all that watch the rest slowly realize the same thing.

No worries!! By the time we face the Bills, Mario will be hampered by Plantar Fasciitis, a sports hernia, maybe pectoral issues.......... or Something! So no matter where Mario lines up, our tackles say:

"We got this!"

When Butler started at LT in '10, I don;t remember him getting beaten by bull rushes. It was the speed guys with more than one move that gave him fits.
It's going to be amusing for all of us who didn't think MW was all that watch the rest slowly realize the same thing.

:rolleyes: tell me about it..

I can't believe there's posters here who actually believe Mario would get the best of Duane Brown. Not only does Brown hold more value... He's also the better football player.

Mario Williams strictly beats people and gets his sacks with athleticism only (he's extremely lacking in the technique department). Guess what he won't be able to do with Duane Brown.. He won't be able to beat Brown with his athleticism. D. Brown is just as athletic as he is.

Mario Williams is a two trick pony... and one of those tricks isn't very effective either. He's either going to try to bullrush you or he's going to try to run around the edge (thus running himself out of the play more often than not).. he has no spin move, has no inside move, and he still can't use his hands for **** 7 years in. Mario has nothing that he can throw at Duane, that Duane wouldn't be able to handle...

Simply put, Mario doesn't have enough tools in his tool bag to beat Duane Brown and I'm really going to LMAO if Butler stone walls him as well.

:rolleyes: tell me about it..

I can't believe there's posters here who actually believe Mario would get the best of Duane Brown. Not only does Brown hold more value... He's also the better football player.

Mario Williams strictly beats people and gets his sacks with athleticism only (he's extremely lacking in the technique department). Guess what he won't be able to do with Duane Brown.. He won't be able to beat Brown with his athleticism. D. Brown is just as athletic as he is.

Mario Williams is a two trick pony... and one of those tricks isn't very effective either. He's either going to try to bullrush you or he's going to try to run around the edge (thus running himself out of the play more often than not).. he has no spin move, has no inside move, and he still can't use his hands for **** 7 years in. Mario has nothing that he can throw at Duane, that Duane wouldn't be able to handle...

Simply put, Mario doesn't have enough tools in his tool bag to beat Duane Brown and I'm really going to LMAO if Butler stone walls him as well.

Mario Williams' high water mark in sacks over the last three years (and BTW, if I haven't said it before - well I have, I like Mario) has been like 9 sacks. Not only is that not $96 - $50 gauranteed NOT worthy, but I'm pretty sure that he never lived up to his $54 mill realized with his Texans rookie contract, but given the other two choices that draft year, I'm okay with it...

The Texans were smart (Cap- hamstrung or not) were smart to not pursue the resigning of Mario...

No worries!! By the time we face the Bills, Mario will be hampered by Plantar Fasciitis, a sports hernia, maybe pectoral issues.......... or Something! So no matter where Mario lines up, our tackles say:

"We got this!"

LOL, was about to write that Mario would be on the IR by the time we play the bills :)

This depends on if Mario feels like playing or not.

Exactly... and Mario will of course want to rub it in against his old team. Especially if the rumors are true that the Texans didn't even make him an offer.

IMO, a motivated Mario is the best DE in the game.

So I vote Mario.

Not value wise, i meant as far as them lining up agaisnt each other. Who is more likely to dominate the other?
I answered your question. Mario is better at his respective position. Though if you want to get technical, in pretty much every single situation a tackle is going to stop the opposing defensive end from getting a pressure, hurry and/or sack on the majority of possessions in a game, so Duane would win more battles than not.

Exactly... and Mario will of course want to rub it in against his old team. Especially if the rumors are true that the Texans didn't even make him an offer.

So I vote Mario.
Which game are you talking about? The NFL, the Bills vs Texans, ping pong?
I can name a handful of better DE's off the top of my head. MW is above average, but far from elite at the position.

I answered your question. Mario is better at his respective position. Though if you want to get technical, in pretty much every single situation a tackle is going to stop the opposing defensive end from getting a pressure, hurry and/or sack on the majority of possessions in a game, so Duane would win more battles than not.

Yeah, where your post fails is where you claim Mario is a better player at his "respective position", when he clearly isn't. There is nothing that you can post which will suggest that claim you made is even true. Duane Brown has been the better player at his "respective position" :rolleyes: and injury issues aside... the comparison isn't even close.

Last edited:
Which game are you talking about? The NFL, the Bills vs Texans, ping pong?
I can name a handful of better DE's off the top of my head. MW is above average, but far from elite at the position.

Just my opinion, I know most may not agree. Now I didn't say he IS the best, but he has proven to me he CAN be if he wanted to. He has all the measurables, athleticism, and talent to do it.

Yeah, where your post fails is where you claim Mario is a better player at his "respective position", when he clearly isn't. There is nothing that you can post which will suggest that claim you made is even true. Duane Brown has been the better player at his "respective position" :rolleyes: and injury issues aside... the comparison isn't even close.

Right. Mario has been to 2 pro-bowls and 3 all-pro teams (2 firsts, 1 second) and was made the highest paid defensive player in football.

It's not close by any standard.

I can see letting him go, but can we please stop pretending he's just 'better than average'

yeah does not matter Mario will be injured by the time we play the bills even if its in wk 2 LOL

But yea Butler would IMO have a hard time with mario so i would hope its Butler + TE or RB Help

Right. Mario has been to 2 pro-bowls and 3 all-pro teams (2 firsts, 1 second) and was made the highest paid defensive player in football.

I can see letting him go, but can we pleasye stop pretending he's just 'better than average'

Right... and he's barely cracked the top 10 in yearly sack totals during the same time that Duane has been in the league. :rolleyes: And can we please stop ignoring the fact that we have a LT who's actually playing at at a elite level. Spare me the pro bowl nominations, lol like that proves Mario has been a better player than Duane Brown

I can see letting him go, but can we please stop pretending he's just 'better than average'
Are you trying to say that being voted to pro bowls is some way of saying a player is really good? That's a hoot. The pro bowl is nothing but a popularity contest. Guys having suck seasons go every single year based on name recognition.

What has MW shown you that makes you think he's well above average at his position?
Why not go ahead and list who you think are the best DE's in the league and post their 6 year stats on here? You'll be surprised at how far MW is from being elite at his position.

Are you trying to say that being voted to pro bowls is some way of saying a player is really good? That's a hoot. The pro bowl is nothing but a popularity contest. Guys having suck seasons go every single year based on name recognition.

What has MW shown you that makes you think he's well above average at his position?
Why not go ahead and list who you think are the best DE's in the league and post their 6 year stats on here? You'll be surprised at how far MW is from being elite at his position.

If you ask other NFL players who the best DE in that game is right now, majority of them will say Julius Peppers. This was evident in the NFL Network's Top 100 player list. So why don't we compare their stats, since that's how you measure "better players".

Mario Williams
0.65 sacks/game
2.34 tackles/game

Julius Peppers
0.66 sacks/game
2.54 tackles/game

The stats seem to be pretty close.

If you ask other NFL players who the best DE in that game is right now, majority of them will say Julius Peppers. This was evident in the NFL Network's Top 100 player list. So why don't we compare their stats, since that's how you measure "better players".

Mario Williams
0.65 sacks/game
2.34 tackles/game

Julius Peppers
0.66 sacks/game
2.54 tackles/game

The stats seem to be pretty close.
I posted the 6 year stats for MW, Freeney, Peppers, Allen and Ware in another thread. MW is FAR behind the other 4 in the 1st 6 years in the league. Peppers doesn't have a lot of sacks, but compare him in other areas.
MW
Peppers
Freeney
Allen
Abraham

What does this question even mean? What's the context?

One snap until whistle is blown dead, winner takes all? Then either can come out of it on top.

Through the course of an entire game? I think Brown could hold his own, Mario will get by him a couple of times and get a sack or two, but not enough for us to seriously worry.

This depends on if Mario feels like playing or not.

So I vote Mario.

yeah does not matter Mario will be injured by the time we play the bills even if its in wk 2 LOL

But yea Butler would IMO have a hard time with mario so i would hope its Butler + TE or RB Help

You are all delusional. Name the last game/person Duane Brown surrendered a sack against... Okay I'm still waiting... Okay still waiting... that's what I thought. 600+ pass attempts strong and not a single sack surrendered, you're all drunk. Duane Brown is the real deal, would make Mario a non-factor for 60 minutes no problem.

i'm with nate. mario's a freak athlete and i petitioned pretty hard to keep him, but duane has grown exponentially each season and is abusing the best pass rushers in the game. mario would give duane more trouble than most because of his strength, but duane would win this matchup.

i'm with nate. mario's a freak athlete and i petitioned pretty hard to keep him, but duane has grown exponentially each season and is abusing the best pass rushers in the game. mario would give duane more trouble than most because of his strength, but duane would win this matchup.
A freak athlete does not an elite passrusher make. How many freak athletes have we all seen utterly fail as a football player? The fact that MW has been above average as a DE shows just how exceptional an athlete he really is and how bad his football IQ/talent is.

No worries!! By the time we face the Bills, Mario will be hampered by Plantar Fasciitis, a sports hernia, maybe pectoral issues.......... or Something!

ahem...I believe the correct medical term is "torn boobie muscle"...I'm sure CnD can back me up on this.

You are all delusional. Name the last game/person Duane Brown surrendered a sack against... Okay I'm still waiting... Okay still waiting... that's what I thought. 600+ pass attempts strong and not a single sack surrendered, you're all drunk. Duane Brown is the real deal, would make Mario a non-factor for 60 minutes no problem.

Add the fact that we played what? 6 of 2011's top ten defenses? Duane Brown ain't chopped liver.

At the same time, Mario ain't the punk many around here would have you believe. Mario may sack Tj Yates (or whoever our QB will be for the game) twice.... Texans may still win & we'll say Brown owned.

Mario may force three fumbles & return one for a TD, but with no sacks, we'll say Brown owned.

Mario may shut off the run game to his side, Texans still win & we'll say Brown owned.

This is a Texans' board, so if we're going to go by popular opinion at the end of the game, I'm going to say with certainty, that Duane Brown will win the "battle"

Butt (I hear Dreadhead likes those things) I know I'm going to be watching a hell of a game for this matchup alone. Best against the best, the way it's supposed to be.

Nice to ignore all-pro (which isn't a popularity contest) and the rest of the NFLs interest that caused the Bills to make him the highest paid defensive player.

I would be shocked if Duane Brown will be made the highest paid left tackle, and not just because he takes less to stay here.

Nice to ignore all-pro (which isn't a popularity contest) and the rest of the NFLs interest that caused the Bills to make him the highest paid defensive player.

Don't forget top 100 player.

There are 32 teams in the NFL, 53 men on each roster. For a total of 1,696 players. Mario is considered by many to be in the top 5%

That looks something like elite to me.

2 All-pros. 2007 & 2008. Since his first all-pro season 2007's 14 sacks (12 in 2008), his numbers have steadily declined every year.

The Bills stepped completely outside their minds paying an oft injured player that kind of money.

Carlos Lee thinks Mario's deal is ridiculous!

2 All-pros. 2007 & 2008. Since his first all-pro season 2007's 14 sacks (12 in 2008), his numbers have steadily declined every year.

The Bills stepped completely outside their minds paying an oft injured player that kind of money.

Carlos Lee thinks Mario's deal is ridiculous!

You make good points.

We've got this other guy on our team who accumulated 1,575 receiving yards in 2008. Since then, it's been a steady decline. 1,569 in 2009, 1,216 in 2010m & a mere 492 yards in 2011. This guy has missed significant time over the last two years; 3 games in 2010, & 9 games in 2011 (maybe that's why his numbers have declined, but I can't put two & two together, so I don't know).....

the guy is a shadow of his former self. Declining production & can't stay on the field. Every time he runs down the field or catches the ball, I cringe with what might happen.

We should maximize his value right now & trade him away.

Thanks for showing me the light Bill.

Bills are going to a have a pretty stout D-Line this season. I hope Wade doesn't dismiss Mario as much as the Texans Talk faithful seems to be.

Back