Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-18-2012   #21
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams vs Brown

This depends on if Mario feels like playing or not.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #22
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
No worries!! By the time we face the Bills, Mario will be hampered by Plantar Fasciitis, a sports hernia, maybe pectoral issues.......... or Something! So no matter where Mario lines up, our tackles say:

"We got this!"
LOL, was about to write that Mario would be on the IR by the time we play the bills
Old 03-18-2012   #23
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRo_DomiNatioN View Post
Simple question who wins this battle, Duane Brown or Mario Williams?
Simple question back at ya, who picks a username with so many random capital letters?

Oh and Brown, 99/100, but then Mario will idolized as a bronzed god for that one time.
Old 03-18-2012   #24
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 120624 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
Mario you ain't lining up against Dallas Clark. Clubber Lang will knock you inta tumorah Rock, he'll knock you inta tumorah!!!
Old 03-18-2012   #25
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Exactly... and Mario will of course want to rub it in against his old team. Especially if the rumors are true that the Texans didn't even make him an offer.

IMO, a motivated Mario is the best DE in the game.

So I vote Mario.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #26
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRo_DomiNatioN View Post
Not value wise, i meant as far as them lining up agaisnt each other. Who is more likely to dominate the other?
I answered your question. Mario is better at his respective position. Though if you want to get technical, in pretty much every single situation a tackle is going to stop the opposing defensive end from getting a pressure, hurry and/or sack on the majority of possessions in a game, so Duane would win more battles than not.
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #27
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

the match-up i'm afraid of, if left one-on-one, is dareus against caldwell.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2012   #28
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Exactly... and Mario will of course want to rub it in against his old team. Especially if the rumors are true that the Texans didn't even make him an offer.

So I vote Mario.
Which game are you talking about? The NFL, the Bills vs Texans, ping pong?
I can name a handful of better DE's off the top of my head. MW is above average, but far from elite at the position.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #29
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84758 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
I answered your question. Mario is better at his respective position. Though if you want to get technical, in pretty much every single situation a tackle is going to stop the opposing defensive end from getting a pressure, hurry and/or sack on the majority of possessions in a game, so Duane would win more battles than not.
Yeah, where your post fails is where you claim Mario is a better player at his "respective position", when he clearly isn't. There is nothing that you can post which will suggest that claim you made is even true. Duane Brown has been the better player at his "respective position" and injury issues aside... the comparison isn't even close.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 03-19-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #30
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Which game are you talking about? The NFL, the Bills vs Texans, ping pong?
I can name a handful of better DE's off the top of my head. MW is above average, but far from elite at the position.
Just my opinion, I know most may not agree. Now I didn't say he IS the best, but he has proven to me he CAN be if he wanted to. He has all the measurables, athleticism, and talent to do it.
Old 03-19-2012   #31
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Yeah, where your post fails is where you claim Mario is a better player at his "respective position", when he clearly isn't. There is nothing that you can post which will suggest that claim you made is even true. Duane Brown has been the better player at his "respective position" and injury issues aside... the comparison isn't even close.
Right. Mario has been to 2 pro-bowls and 3 all-pro teams (2 firsts, 1 second) and was made the highest paid defensive player in football.

It's not close by any standard.

I can see letting him go, but can we please stop pretending he's just 'better than average'
noxiousdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #32
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah does not matter Mario will be injured by the time we play the bills even if its in wk 2 LOL

But yea Butler would IMO have a hard time with mario so i would hope its Butler + TE or RB Help
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #33
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84758 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Right. Mario has been to 2 pro-bowls and 3 all-pro teams (2 firsts, 1 second) and was made the highest paid defensive player in football.

I can see letting him go, but can we pleasye stop pretending he's just 'better than average'
Right... and he's barely cracked the top 10 in yearly sack totals during the same time that Duane has been in the league. And can we please stop ignoring the fact that we have a LT who's actually playing at at a elite level. Spare me the pro bowl nominations, lol like that proves Mario has been a better player than Duane Brown
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #34
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post

I can see letting him go, but can we please stop pretending he's just 'better than average'
Are you trying to say that being voted to pro bowls is some way of saying a player is really good? That's a hoot. The pro bowl is nothing but a popularity contest. Guys having suck seasons go every single year based on name recognition.

What has MW shown you that makes you think he's well above average at his position?
Why not go ahead and list who you think are the best DE's in the league and post their 6 year stats on here? You'll be surprised at how far MW is from being elite at his position.
Old 03-19-2012   #35
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Clutchfans type thread.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #36
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Are you trying to say that being voted to pro bowls is some way of saying a player is really good? That's a hoot. The pro bowl is nothing but a popularity contest. Guys having suck seasons go every single year based on name recognition.

What has MW shown you that makes you think he's well above average at his position?
Why not go ahead and list who you think are the best DE's in the league and post their 6 year stats on here? You'll be surprised at how far MW is from being elite at his position.
If you ask other NFL players who the best DE in that game is right now, majority of them will say Julius Peppers. This was evident in the NFL Network's Top 100 player list. So why don't we compare their stats, since that's how you measure "better players".

Mario Williams
0.65 sacks/game
2.34 tackles/game

Julius Peppers
0.66 sacks/game
2.54 tackles/game

The stats seem to be pretty close.
Old 03-19-2012   #37
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If you ask other NFL players who the best DE in that game is right now, majority of them will say Julius Peppers. This was evident in the NFL Network's Top 100 player list. So why don't we compare their stats, since that's how you measure "better players".

Mario Williams
0.65 sacks/game
2.34 tackles/game

Julius Peppers
0.66 sacks/game
2.54 tackles/game

The stats seem to be pretty close.
I posted the 6 year stats for MW, Freeney, Peppers, Allen and Ware in another thread. MW is FAR behind the other 4 in the 1st 6 years in the league. Peppers doesn't have a lot of sacks, but compare him in other areas.
MW
Peppers
Freeney
Allen
Abraham
Old 03-19-2012   #38
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
What does this question even mean? What's the context?

One snap until whistle is blown dead, winner takes all? Then either can come out of it on top.

Through the course of an entire game? I think Brown could hold his own, Mario will get by him a couple of times and get a sack or two, but not enough for us to seriously worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Bills have already said they're going to utilize Mario as a LE. That means he's going to be going up against Butler...and he's going to own that battle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Quote:

So I vote Mario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
yeah does not matter Mario will be injured by the time we play the bills even if its in wk 2 LOL

But yea Butler would IMO have a hard time with mario so i would hope its Butler + TE or RB Help
You are all delusional. Name the last game/person Duane Brown surrendered a sack against... Okay I'm still waiting... Okay still waiting... that's what I thought. 600+ pass attempts strong and not a single sack surrendered, you're all drunk. Duane Brown is the real deal, would make Mario a non-factor for 60 minutes no problem.
Old 03-19-2012   #39
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89811 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm with nate. mario's a freak athlete and i petitioned pretty hard to keep him, but duane has grown exponentially each season and is abusing the best pass rushers in the game. mario would give duane more trouble than most because of his strength, but duane would win this matchup.
Old 03-19-2012   #40
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm with nate. mario's a freak athlete and i petitioned pretty hard to keep him, but duane has grown exponentially each season and is abusing the best pass rushers in the game. mario would give duane more trouble than most because of his strength, but duane would win this matchup.
A freak athlete does not an elite passrusher make. How many freak athletes have we all seen utterly fail as a football player? The fact that MW has been above average as a DE shows just how exceptional an athlete he really is and how bad his football IQ/talent is.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read