Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2012   #1
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2013 UFA & Salary Cap

I saw where McClain wrote that we are at 4.2 million under the cap after re-signing Myers. In 2013 we have a lot UFA who are coming off their first contract…due for a pay raise. Here is a list of our 2013 UFA that get playing time. Also listed are their 2012 cap figures per spotrac.com and little personal commentary. I have 2 groups; the first is composed of players whose cap figure will increase. The second is composed of players whose cap figure will stay in the same general area or decrease.

Group # 1
Connor Barwin - $ 917,500 (cap figure will go up a ton)
Duane Brown - $ 2,661,500 (cap figure will go up a ton)
Rashard Butler - $ 1,925,000 (cap figure will increase)
Antoine Caldwell - $ 816,062 (cap figure will increase)
Glover Quin - $ 607,304 (cap figure will increase)
Brice McCain - $ 1,333,437 (cap figure will increase)
James Casey - $ 661,250 (cap figure will increase)
Tim Jamison - $ 615,000 (cap figure will increase)
Troy Nolan - $ 579,565 (cap number will increase)

Group # 2
Matt Schaub - $ 8,316,667
Shaun Cody - $ 2,000,000

Personally this does not look to good to me but I am no cap expert. It seems that Rick Smith will have to get creative. Insight, commentary, opinions…
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #2
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 UFA & Salary Cap

Looks like it will be tough... sucks to have so many good players in regards to the cap...

We don't even know the "true" cap right now, I've seen so many different numbers... I'll wait 'til next year to get involved in next year's cap discussion...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #3
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Smith is crunching some numbers because there are a lot of starters in group one.
Old 03-17-2012   #4
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Probably very early for this post but the crap that we just went through to get under the cap had me thinking about next year. Hope that cap goes up more than it did this year.
Old 03-17-2012   #5
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1737 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

McCain, Jamison and Nolan are gone in my opinion.
Daniels, Demeco and Walter can all be dropped.
Old 03-17-2012   #6
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm scared...
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #7
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
McCain, Jamison and Nolan are gone in my opinion.
Daniels, Demeco and Walter can all be dropped.
I was looking at the numbers and contracts and Antionio Smith stood out. UFA in 2 years and 6m salary after next year.
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2012   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

This forum has become salary cap obsessed. Now we're up in arms about the 2013 cap? Let's enjoy the 2012 season before panicking.
Old 03-17-2012   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Shaun Cody - $ 2,000,000
None of these guys will command significant money. I wouldn't worry about them. Quin and McCain are replaceable. Schaub is yet to be determined based on performance this season. Barwin needs to prove himself this season if he wants a big payday. Brown will definitely get a lot of money, even if he gets injured this year. We certainly have issues coming up, but I expect a lot of dead money to be off the books next year and the cap itself to increase enough to help us fit the main guys in.
Old 03-17-2012   #10
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
None of these guys will command significant money. I wouldn't worry about them. Quin and McCain are replaceable. Schaub is yet to be determined based on performance this season. Barwin needs to prove himself this season if he wants a big payday. Brown will definitely get a lot of money, even if he gets injured this year. We certainly have issues coming up, but I expect a lot of dead money to be off the books next year and the cap itself to increase enough to help us fit the main guys in.
Good post, thanks. Lucky I'm not freaking out, I created this thread because I wanted to hear the opinions of other people about the situation. Personally I am more interested in this than who will have more sacks next year (Barwin or Mario) but that's just me. I also find this topic interesting because the draft is coming up and the FO should be looking at players not only to fill needs and add depth this year but also draft players based on what they see or have planed for next year.
Old 03-17-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I saw where McClain wrote that we are at 4.2 million under the cap after re-signing Myers. In 2013 we have a lot UFA who are coming off their first contract…due for a pay raise. Here is a list of our 2013 UFA that get playing time. Also listed are their 2012 cap figures per spotrac.com and little personal commentary. I have 2 groups; the first is composed of players whose cap figure will increase. The second is composed of players whose cap figure will stay in the same general area or decrease.

Group # 1

Group # 2
Shaun Cody - $ 2,000,000

Personally this does not look to good to me but I am no cap expert. It seems that Rick Smith will have to get creative. Insight, commentary, opinions…
I think Texans are very concerned about 2013 but remember the 2014 season hopefully offers significant increase in cap. I do expect to see some Winston type moves. We need very good drafts in next two years to replace some of our current vets with lower contracts.
Old 03-17-2012   #12
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post

Group # 1

Group # 2
Shaun Cody - $ 2,000,000

That figure for McCain can't be right. GQ was chosen in the same draft, at the same position, but two rounds earlier. How is McCain getting paid twice as much?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
That figure for McCain can't be right. GQ was chosen in the same draft, at the same position, but two rounds earlier. How is McCain getting paid twice as much?
Playtime incentives boosted him this year. Dunno how Glover Quin didn't get it as well though, unless it just hasn't been reported yet.
Old 03-17-2012   #14
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
I got that number from spotrac.com Alan Burge from the Houston Texans Examiner states that Brice McCain will recieve an extra 693,000 in base pay for 2012 via a staff writer for footballoutsiders.com I suppose that is where the increase comes from.
Old 03-17-2012   #15
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Later states that McCain's base pay will be 1.308 million. Also states that Brown will receive a 1.3 increase in base pay for having over 80% playing time in three seasons.
Old 03-17-2012   #16
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Playtime incentives boosted him this year. Dunno how Glover Quin didn't get it as well though, unless it just hasn't been reported yet.
Even without an incentive, GQ's contract will earn him about $400k more than McCain's appears to with an incentive. Also, GQ had a pretty good sized signing bonus, which he was paid upfront, and McCain didn't. So GQ did appear to get a better deal overall. If he does get an incentive it will just be that much more.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #17
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
Even without an incentive, GQ's contract will earn him about $400k more than McCain's appears to with an incentive. Also, GQ had a pretty good sized signing bonus, which he was paid upfront, and McCain didn't. So GQ did appear to get a better deal overall. If he does get an incentive it will just be that much more.
OK, this makes more sense. Contracts for draft picks are pretty standard, especially for players outside of round 1. So even with incentives, you'd think GQ would still make more money.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #18
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, this makes more sense. Contracts for draft picks are pretty standard, especially for players outside of round 1. So even with incentives, you'd think GQ would still make more money.
Right, the earlier picks get more upfront and some annual escalations. The lower picks either don't get any or get very small upfront money, have small annual escalations, and then have incentives that can get them closer to an earlier round guy if their performance justifies it.

First round guys get more upfront and also have bigger annual escalations (dollar wise, because they start bigger to begin with).

I believe rookie contracts are limited to 25% inreases to base pay annually under the new CBA.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #19
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll play for em for $100k no prob w/o incentives...
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #20
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2013 Texans Free Agents?

Who will be reaching Free Agency at this time next year besides Duane Brown and Rashad Butler? Also do you think the Texans might be looking ahead and drafting next years replacements this year? I know it's a little early to be thinking about 2013 but good teams look ahead and plan for the future and next years FA's could affect the 2012 draft.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read