Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets more sacks next season?
Mario 38 45.78%
Barwin 45 54.22%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2012   #61
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who ends next season with more sacks Barwin or Average MaIRo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
He asked for two DEs who elevated their team all by their lonesome. You added two great DEs who were parts of great teams.

You did not name a DE with poor safeties, & corners or who had problems getting pressure up the middle. & like Infantrycak said, the Buffalo Bills got to the Super Bowl 4 times on the strength of their offense, not their defense (which gave up 38 points to a Houston team in one half of football & 'cak mentioned that defense giving up 52 to another team).
You don't get to 4 straight SBs without good defensive play... who cares if they got their doors blown off once they got there and who cares if the Oilers ran up and down the field for one half of football... it's just one half of one game.

He asked me to list some DEs and I did. The Packers sucked for decades, before Favre and before Reggie White signed with that team... they do not win a SB without Reggie White signing with that team.. he ELEVATED that team to a SB and even when he was in Philadelphia he was also the heart and soul of that team. All you're doing is nitpicking small stuff.

And yes I listed two great DEs, are great DEs not allowed in this discussion or something? Mario Williams is now the highest paid defender in NFL history.... He's paid to be a great DE, so I think it's fair to hold him to that standard... a standard that he doesn't measure up to at the current moment.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #62
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly think Barwin will have more sacks. Mario will more than likely get injured at some point in the season which will limit his production. Barwin also plays in a system that facilitates sacks. Mario if he can stay healthy should be good and he has a very good d-line to help him, but I just don't see it happening for him.
Old 03-18-2012   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
[/b]

How could he have handled it any differently. They made him an offer , he took a significantly better offer .... Had then gone any higher , they would have really been in a bind next season when multiple starters become UFA's.

I believe Smith made his best offer from the get go .... knowing he couldnt go higher and that even this offer would make life difficult going forward should it be accepted.

What better way to handle the situation than to get it out of the way one way or another and move on to the next thing on the agenda?

There was a time, when I believed it went down just like you said & I was proud of our GM. Then after the Mario tweet, I really don't know what to think.

Did they not make an offer, like Mario insinuated? Did they offer the $12M a year & Mario thought it a non-offer? Did they offer $14M a year, putting their best foot forward, but did not attempt to match the Bills $16/yr & thus Mario considers that a non-offer?

I don't know. I'd like to think it was the last case, but I don't know.

So you're right, perhaps I shouldn't say "I don't think they handled it correctly" but rather say, "I don't know."
Old 03-18-2012   #64
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Buffalo has their work cut out for them

If I read correctly they had 29 sacks last year as a team and 10 of those came in one game

All I know is Barwin should have more Texan sacks than mario two years in a row
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

If I read correctly they had 29 sacks last year as a team and 10 of those came in one game

All I know is Barwin should have more Texan sacks than mario two years in a row
How many sacks did the Houston Texans have in 2010?

Old 03-18-2012   #66
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
how many sacks did the houston texans have in 2010?

2010 - 30
2011 - 44

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

How many sacks did the Houston Texans have in 2010?

2010 - 30
2011 - 44
Did you forget the little kitty, or did you miss the sarcasm?
Old 03-18-2012   #68
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not gonna vote because it really doesn't matter to me who has more sacks.

What matters to me is the "D's" overall production. What matters to m is the value of Barwin / Reed over Super(rich) Mario.

*DISCLAIMER*
I like Mario and really wish the Texans could've resigned him. That said, if Buffalo is willing to overspend and I mean REALLY overspend for him, so be it... Good luck Mario. It's all about winning, no?
Old 03-18-2012   #69
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you forget the little kitty, or did you miss the sarcasm?
No, I got it, but I wanted to see what someone might say if I put the actual numbers right out there. I was sort of doing what I think you were doing. I don't use the emoticon thingies much, but I guess maybe I should have posted the kitty, too?

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #70
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 87098 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I honestly think Barwin will have more sacks. Mario will more than likely get injured at some point in the season which will limit his production. Barwin also plays in a system that facilitates sacks. Mario if he can stay healthy should be good and he has a very good d-line to help him, but I just don't see it happening for him.
Esto ^^^^^
Old 03-19-2012   #71
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I like the way people say mario didn't elevate his teammates, but allen elevated minny defense to the bottom of the league.what about ware elevating dallas defense to the bottom half too. In fact, ware has been a monster, and their defense has sucked since greg ellis left. The only guys who can elevate a team is the qb. I watched the philly vs dallas when ware had 4 sacks and he was a non factor in the game.Why? The other players not playing well, philly scored like 40 on dallas. The ravens defense played well when lewis was out. We've also seen ray lewis urging mgmt to get some big bodies in front of him so he can be clean. Everyone remembers that game against kc when he was on skates.

Here is what I'm getting at,pressure leads to picks, coverage leads to sacks. If your lbs and dbs can't close windows in coverage, your pass rush will never get there. They're not coverage sacks, but you have to make the qb reset his feet and come off his 1st 2 reads. By the same token, if you don't stop the run and pressure the qb, your backend won't get any chance to get their hands on the ball. Everything links up to each other.
Old 03-19-2012   #72
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 3178 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin will lead the league.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #73
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
Barwin will lead the league.
I will go out on a limb and say that now that he knows he is the starter, Brooks Reed will make a run at the sack record. Watch.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #74
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I will go out on a limb and say that now that he knows he is the starter, Brooks Reed will make a run at the sack record. Watch.
I'll have what [s]he's having.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #75
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52652 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Heard this morning that Mario's contract is heavily laden with injury clauses. So don't be surprised if Mario doesn't earn more than 20 million of that contract. The 50 million that was reported "GUARANTEED" has injury clauses in it. I guess it's "guaranteed" only if he stays healthy.

Has anyone else heard this?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #76
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Watt vs. Mario would be a better question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #77
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm good with Mario leaving the team, but I'm no fool to think Barwin will lead the league in sacks. He's just not that kind of athlete.

Not that I think Mario will lead the league in sacks, just saying I'm sure there will be plenty of players who will have more sacks than Barwin.

For the second time in his career,
Quote:
Mario will have teammates that will prevent QBs from stepping up into the pocket with ease
. Last time that was the case, Mario averaged 1 sack per game.

Even though this scheme will lift Barwin above his own ability, he is no Demarcus Ware, no Shawn Merriman.

Watt is going to have to be our primary hell raiser, Barwin, Smith, & Reed are merely role players.

Yep. And if our previous QB would have had a decent Oline and receivers he would have made the pro-bowl.

Old 03-23-2012   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Yep. And if our previous QB would have had a decent Oline and receivers he would have made the pro-bowl.

I understand the conjecture, but Mario has made it to the Pro Bowl twice, with little help. Mario has had double digit sacks.. with little help on the line, or in the secondary.

The only thing that has stopped Mario from getting double digit sacks has been his health. Not crawling up into the fetal position or repeatedly running out of bounds behind the LOS.

So there is a difference.

Same with the Haynesworth comparison. Haynseworth hadn't done squat until his "contract" year. He got paid, & didn't do squat from then on.

Mario just became the highest paid defensive player in the history of the league after two back-to-back seasons where he ended on IR.

David Carr is a back-up to one of the most durable QBs in the NFL.

The league knows what Mario can bring to a team.
Old 03-23-2012   #79
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand the conjecture, but Mario has made it to the Pro Bowl twice, with little help. Mario has had double digit sacks.. with little help on the line, or in the secondary.
Yup.. His second and third years. Hasn't been to a Pro-Bowl or had double digit sacks, since.
Old 03-23-2012   #80
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143455 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish we coulda kept MW ..... but not at that pricetag.

Good luck

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read