Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who gets more sacks next season?
Mario 38 45.78%
Barwin 45 54.22%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2012   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who ends next season with more sacks Barwin or Average MaIRo?

Now that Average Mario has moved on, who ends next season with more sacks, him or Barwin?

Although I don't blame Mario for pulling a "Rod Tidwell", I am a little bitter about him leaving.
Old 03-16-2012   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who ends next season with more sacks Barwin or Average MaIRo?

Nothing average about Mario - Dude's one of the best in the NFL at his position.

Im not bitter about him leaving .... He said it wasnt about the money , but when it was all said and done , Barfallo just threw too much money at him to turn down. $50m guaranteed .... wow.

Who do I think will end up with more sacks (should they both stay healthy)? I'll go with Barwin due to the scheme.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin...Mario is no longer on the team...I could care less about him at this point...Barwin is the f'n man...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #4
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Now that Average Mario has moved on, who ends next season with more sacks, him or Barwin?

Although I don't blame Mario for pulling a "Rod Tidwell", I am a little bitter about him leaving.
Watt and Antonio are gonna tear it up and free up alot of stuff for Barwin so i'll vote for Barwin.
Old 03-16-2012   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Watt and Antonio are gonna tear it up and free up alot of stuff for Barwin so i'll vote for Barwin.
Agreed.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #6
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going with Mario, just because Barwin can't match his physical skill. It will take more of a collective effort on defense, and I expect the sacks to be almost even around. Mario in the 4-3 defense though, if he is fully healthy, and actually "wants" to play. There would be almost no stopping him.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
I'm going with Mario, just because Barwin can't match his physical skill. It will take more of a collective effort on defense, and I expect the sacks to be almost even around. Mario in the 4-3 defense though, if he is fully healthy, and actually "wants" to play. There would be almost no stopping him.
I'm going to go with Mario as well, just for the simple reason that he won't have to deal with the competition at multiple levels of the defense that Barwin will (Cushing, Reed, Watt, and Smith)... but I don't think you ca say Barwin can't match Mario's physical talent... The only thing Mario has over Barwin is outright strength. Mario can't beat him in technique, speed, and his motor... which is why Barwin in his first season at his natural NFL position already holds the Texan record for the single game sack total.

Both Barwin and Watt had greater single game dominant performances than Mario ever had as a Texan. Mario's greatest performance was against the Broncos years ago.. Barwin's performance against the Jags and Watts performance against the Colts, despite a loss, was MUCH better than any effort Williams ever trotted out. Speaking of Watt.. he actually eclipses Mario in strength and physical talent..as well as a much higher motor. He's the guy I'd lock up for that type of money. The fact that you actually had to type if Mario "actually wants to play" after signing that type of contract only further illustrates on who expensive a guy like J.J. Watt will cost in the future.

Screw Williams... Watt is the guy who we need to be clearing cap space for whenever he's due up for a new contract. He's well worth a LOT more than Mario Williams was... he actually has a knack for coming up big in big games. In fact this thread very well could be called.. "who ends next season with more sacks, J.J. Watt or Mario Williams".
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2012   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Should've added Reed to the poll..he's got just as good a shot as Barwin imo; Just never been a fan of the Barwin pick. But since you only put Barwin, i'll go with mario.

Barwin wouldn't have gotten to double digit sacks last year if it weren't for Blaine Gabbert & that atrocious as offense of theirs.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm going to go with Mario as well, just for the simple reason that he won't have to deal with the competition at multiple levels of the defense that Barwin will (Cushing, Reed, Watt, and Smith)... but it's silly to say Barwin can't match Mario's physical talent... The only thing Mario has over Barwin is outright strength. Mario can't beat him in technique, speed, and his motor... which is why Barwin in his first season at his natural NFL position already holds the Texan record for the single game sack total.

Both Barwin and Watt had greater single game dominant performances than Mario ever had as a Texan. Mario's greatest performance was against the Broncos years ago.. Barwin's performance against the Jags and Watts performance against the Colts, despite a loss, was MUCH better than any effort Williams ever trotted out. Speaking of Watt.. he actually eclipses Mario in strength and physical talent..as well as a much higher motor. He's the guy I'd lock up for that type of money.

Screw Williams... Watt is the guy who we need to be clearling cap space for whenever he's due up for a new contract. He's well worth a LOT more than Mario Williams was... he actually has a knack for coming up big in big games. In fact this thread very well could be called.. "who ends next season with more sacks, J.J. Watt or Mario Williams".
complete garbage...
Old 03-17-2012   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
complete garbage...
What part...

My post or your infatuation with Mario Williams?

Mario Williams signing in Buffalo is simply R.I.P Mario Williams...

He just joined the NFL witness protection program. He isn't the type of player who can elevate a crappy team to any type of success... god knows he couldn't do that here.
Old 03-17-2012   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

CB you arent entitled to your opinion. The govt stole that from you and gave it to Mr Tex.

Old 03-17-2012   #12
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
What part...

My post or your infatuation with Mario Williams?
your whole post....Barwin & Mario on the same level physical talent wise?....

Neither of them are technicians so i don't know where in the hell you come up with Barwin having better technique....Especially when Barwin hasn't even been on the field for 2 full seasons at OLB to show this better technique at his "natural" NFL position.

why don't you do this, see who lines up to drop 100 million at Barwin's feet next year.

& yeah Barwin holds the single game sack record..pretty impressive against a team with a god awful offense & qb......
Old 03-17-2012   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin will get more Teams will be doubling mario thats not to say teams will double barwin has well but IMO in a 3-4 u have a better chance of getting more sacks IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
CB you aren't entitled to your opinion. The govt stole that from you and gave it to Mr Tex.
LOL, tell me about it...

I mean I only threw about 3 paragraphs of "opinions" out there and he chimes in with two words??? That's either being lazy or cowardly. If you're going to criticize my post (and opinion)...atleast offer some type of view point and actual criticism... if not, then don't bother responding.
Old 03-17-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Should've added Reed to the poll..he's got just as good a shot as Barwin imo; Just never been a fan of the Barwin pick. But since you only put Barwin, i'll go with mario.
I disagree with all of that.

Reed is not on Barwin's level quite yet...

Barwin is a damn fine pass rusher...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
your whole post....Barwin & Mario on the same level physical talent wise?....

Neither of them are technicians so i don't know where in the hell you come up with Barwin having better technique....Especially when Barwin hasn't even been on the field for 2 full seasons at OLB to show this better technique at his "natural" NFL position.

why don't you do this, see who lines up to drop 100 million at Barwin's feet next year.

& yeah Barwin holds the single game sack record..pretty impressive against a team with a god awful offense & qb......
LMAO... like Mario didn't face god awful QBs during his 6 year career

And I hate to break this to you... but Barwin is a WAY much more refined technician than Mario has ever been or ever will be... Barwin had better pass rushing moves and actually uses his hands way better than Mario ever has, even when Barwin played on the college level as a player who switched over from offense.

He's a more refined pass rusher, who can beat you in multiple ways (hence not just by bull rushing, who gets pushed to the outside when he does try to speed rush ). When Mario lines up against a tackle who can handle his bull rush, he's shut down... while Barwin can put a move on them and spin around them and actually cut inside.

Barwin doesn't have the size of Mario, but you're kidding and straight lying to yourself if you don't think he can beat a tackle more ways that Mario can. Mario is a one trick pony. He's put up numbers.. yes, but what exactly (team/defensive success) have they equated to? Tell me that... what the hell has Mario done for this team or this defense since he's been here? What part of Mario's game tells you he's worth 100 mil.? and I don't give a crap if Barwin would demand a 100 million dollar contract or not, because no way in hell would I ever offer Mario that type of money either. A few years from now, Bills fans will be cursing this contract and I'm glad it wasn't us who signed it.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 03-17-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2012   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I disagree with all of that.

Reed is not on Barwin's level quite yet...

Barwin is a damn fine pass rusher...
I agree with everything you said....but the key word in all of what you said is the bolded..."yet".

Barwin is a good pass rusher but i can't envision him just taking over games like i can Reed.

and when you consider that Reed notched 6 in his rookie season basically just using his god given talents blowing by guys...having no real IQ for the NFL yet....

Put it like this, I could easily see Wade sliding Reed back to WOLB going into next year if Reed shows even the slightest bit of growth. from last year.
Old 03-17-2012   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

When you consider who might have the most sacks between MW and Barwin - You have to look at everything around them as well.

Barwin has Antonio Smith and JJ Watt wreaking havoc between him and Reed .... He has Cushing wrecking people in the middle. And .... he has the advantage of Wade Phillips.

What does MW have in Barfalo ? Dave Wannstedt and .... Marcell Dareus switching to a 4-3.

Advantage Barwin.

Old 03-17-2012   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree with everything you said....but the key word in all of what you said is the bolded..."yet".

Barwin is a good pass rusher but i can't envision him just taking over games like i can Reed.

and when you consider that Reed notched 6 in his rookie season basically just using his god given talents blowing by guys...having no real IQ for the NFL yet....

Put it like this, I could easily see Wade sliding Reed back to WOLB going into next year if Reed shows even the slightest bit of growth. from last year.
This is coming from one of Reed's biggest fans (which is the reason why I never shed a tear over Mario Williams from the second he went down to injury and has now left)...

What exactly do you have against a player who notched 11.5 sacks in only his second full season while playing a new position? You act like Barwin is a finished product or something and he's not. The guy was productive as a rookie too, despite being considered a project... He had to sit out pretty much his entire sohpmore season in the league due to injury, had to move to a new position (yes his natural NFL positon is OLB) and threw up 11.5 sacks year one at that position. Why do you hate the guy? and why do you give Reed props for "having no NFL I.Q" when he played his entire college career on defense... while Barwin only played one single season on that side of the ball? Like he was some expert at NFL defensive schemes when he came into the league

Seriously in the above post, you try to pimp Reed's (a player that I am EXTREMELY high on) 6 sacks during his rookie season, a season where he started 11 freaking games... yet when Barwin was able to post 4.5 sacks as a rookie, despite starting 0 games and posted the SAME EXACT sack total that Mario posted in 16 starts as a rookie... that gets no mention??? what gives?

So 11 less starts and only 1.5 less sacks than Reed isn't worth mentioning??? I guess matching Mario's rookie sack total in 16 less starts ins't worth mentioning as well either huh?
Old 03-17-2012   #20
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

More importantly. Are we going to find a better NT to replace Cody?
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read