Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2012   #21
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thank you for a big WR FA pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
He's a selfish, cancerous, one-dimensional primadonna.
Yep!!! He also does not like to get hit. No like go over middle. Ask eagle fans. Probably avoided contact last year because he did not have a deal. Not an Arian Foster type of guy.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #22
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I think about it.. the more I think the FO will skip drafting or signing a WR and just roll with what we have.

Really hope that doesn't happen
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #23
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
The more I think about it.. the more I think the FO will skip drafting or signing a WR and just roll with what we have.

Really hope that doesn't happen
Smith and Kubiak both stated at the combine that WR was on our to-do list for the offseason. I don't know if we'd take a WR not named Floyd at #26, but you can bet on the fact that we'll pick one up one way or another.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #24
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Well, the Chargers, Rams, Jaguars, Bengals, Browns, and Dolphins could all be looking WR round 1. The Cardinals could take Floyd at 13, especially after all the mediocre talent they've accrued for their OLine.
Wouldn't shock me if the Titans picked up a falling WR before we could
Old 03-17-2012   #25
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Yep!!! He also does not like to get hit. No like go over middle. Ask eagle fans. Probably avoided contact last year because he did not have a deal. Not an Arian Foster type of guy.
Jackson is listed at 5'10 175. Do you expect a guy at his size that just loves going over the middle?! Even then that's not his game mostly. He's a legit downfield threat who can make people miss in the open field. If he is goin g over the middle its usually some sort of slip screen where he is capable of taking it into th end zone.

He's also a factor in the punt return game.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #26
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Jackson is listed at 5'10 175. Do you expect a guy at his size that just loves going over the middle?! Even then that's not his game mostly. He's a legit downfield threat who can make people miss in the open field. If he is goin g over the middle its usually some sort of slip screen where he is capable of taking it into th end zone.

Ernest Givens and Drew Hill made quite a living going over the middle in the chuck and duck in the 80's and 90's. I'm not knocking Jackson or anything. The guy's a threat every time he touches the football.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #27
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

Jackson is a great vertical threat and punt returner with great YAC ability. He is also a selfish prick who played not to get hurt last year. I don't expect or think he should go over the middle like my favorite insane commentator, Michael Irvin. However, this guy really avoided contact last year and not just a little bit. There is one play where the ball is intercepted and he sees that he is going to encounter minimal contact and just falls down. One of the weakest plays I have ever seen. I would pay him 6 or 7 million a year but he is no Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe. This guy makes more that Arian Foster. Who is the better football player? Who played scared and who played with heart with no contract extension? I would not pay 10 million to a selfish, plays not to get hurt player ever period.
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2012   #28
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21626 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Floyd doesn't play as fast as he was timed. I've watched a lot of him and he's nothing special. 11 ypc in college where guys run butt naked doesn't do it for me. Before anyone talks about his lack of qb,look at jeffery and his qb,yet he was at least 15ypc this year and 17 last yr. Don't even get me started on randle who is the sloppiest route runner in the draft. Again he didn't produce either.
Old 03-18-2012   #29
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
There has been some retarded contracts handed out to some of these WR's I think the worst was 42 million to Garcon.
^^^^ This.

Better them than us. 42M for Garcon. Sheesh.

This is a case study in how inflation works.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #30
majestrate
Veteran

Section: 308 17/18
Rep Power: 5020 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
If I were DeJack last year, I'd have been walking around with that same attitude. My team gives out fat contracts like they're going out of style, and they can't offer me a new deal? Especially after having 2 years of 1k+ receiving yds?

These days, I wouldn't blame any receiver for refusing to go across the middle, or getting antsy and dropping balls because they're trying to protect themselves. Money's good, but this is just a game, and it's not worth adding even more risk of career-ending injuries (yes, it can happen at any time, on any play, that's the game; doesn't mean you have to increase the chances while on the field)
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #31
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you mean these days you don't blame them, there are more rules in place today as opposed to the none they had ten years ago about receivers catching the ball. And as for dropping balls.. these guys get paid millions of dollars to catch balls and take hits, you think they shouldn't do there job so they don't get hurt? Try telling that to any of the other millions of people employed at jobs making under 50k a year doing any kind of physical labor. I am laughing right now about the idea of leaving water jugs at the start of peoples driveways and sidewalks instead of their front door because I was worried about the wear and tear on my body.

Anyways, sorry about going off on a wild tangent here but hearing that kind of crap from people annoys me.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #32
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's like a poor, homeless, crack addicts version of Randy Moss.
rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #33
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat93 View Post
He's like a poor, homeless, crack addicts version of Randy Moss.
Not even close to the level of talent Moss had in his prime.

Quote:
Jackson is a great vertical threat and punt returner with great YAC ability. He is also a selfish prick who played not to get hurt last year. I don't expect or think he should go over the middle like my favorite insane commentator, Michael Irvin. However, this guy really avoided contact last year and not just a little bit. There is one play where the ball is intercepted and he sees that he is going to encounter minimal contact and just falls down. One of the weakest plays I have ever seen. I would pay him 6 or 7 million a year but he is no Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe. This guy makes more that Arian Foster. Who is the better football player? Who played scared and who played with heart with no contract extension? I would not pay 10 million to a selfish, plays not to get hurt player ever period.
Honestly, I'm looking at what we have behind AJ and a player that is much reliable than Jones will ever be. I also think the Texans locker room is MUCH different than the Eagles and playing opposite of a guy like AJ and the example he makes would make a difference.

I would've loved to see him in steel blue or battle red.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would say Wright > Walter = Wright Day 1 Starter. Wright is a first round draft pick.
This will probably fire up the pro-Kendall Wright crowd, but I see a lot of Troy Edwards in Wright. Big time college WR who made plays all over the field, but couldn't translate that success to the NFL. Edwards had difficulty getting off the line in press coverage and didn't have the 2nd gear to separate deep. A slot receiver, at best. That's basically how I see Wright.

Having said that, I think Wright could be a very good slot receiver in the right system, like with the Patriots. If he gets free release into the secondary, Wright can get open on crossing routes and make some stuff happen after the catch. But that skill doesn't match up with what teams look for in the 1st round.
Old 03-20-2012   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
And I'm sure there were quite a few Texans fans upset because Smithiak didn't have every free agent in Houston on Tuesday afternoon so we could waste our money on them. Washington spends more than any other team every year. What's it gotten them?

The draft is there for a reason. You lose a few players each year and you replace them with cheaper draft picks. It's happened every year we've been around. The only difference is we've finally got players other teams want.
Funny how when the Texans spent the $$$$ on top tier FA's last yr they made the playoffs for the 1st time in a decade.

While I agree with your premise on draft>FA. It realy takes a combination of the draft/FA to be successful in todays NFL.

Instead of using the Redskins as the model. (Buying fully into Billionaire BoBBy) Look at the Pats/Jets/Philly/Saints as teams that make the playoffs consistently that add to their team through the draft/FA.

The team that we are the closest model to is the 49ers. Build thru the draft, then add in FA and make the playoffs despite avg/below avg QB play.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #36
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Floyd doesn't play as fast as he was timed. I've watched a lot of him and he's nothing special. 11 ypc in college where guys run butt naked doesn't do it for me. Before anyone talks about his lack of qb,look at jeffery and his qb,yet he was at least 15ypc this year and 17 last yr. Don't even get me started on randle who is the sloppiest route runner in the draft. Again he didn't produce either.
When Floyd had Golden Tate with him his YPC was very high.(Dont feel like looking it up.) From his freshman yr when I 1st saw Floyd, I thought that guy looks like he's a pro WR. That's how I judge 1st rd WR talent. The Texans would be extremely lucky if Floyd fell to 26. They should sprint to (God Goodell) with their card.

I feel the same about Jeffery, except he got lazy between his Jr/Sr yrs. If you want a big WR with great hands/Red Zone target Jeffery is your guy. With pro coaching and a little dedication Jeffery could be the best WR in this draft.

Randle- If you had the dynamic duo of Jefferson/Lee throwing you the ball you would look like you ran terrible routes too. Those guys flat out couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
Old 03-20-2012   #37
majestrate
Veteran

Section: 308 17/18
Rep Power: 5020 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
What do you mean these days you don't blame them, there are more rules in place today as opposed to the none they had ten years ago about receivers catching the ball. And as for dropping balls.. these guys get paid millions of dollars to catch balls and take hits, you think they shouldn't do there job so they don't get hurt? Try telling that to any of the other millions of people employed at jobs making under 50k a year doing any kind of physical labor. I am laughing right now about the idea of leaving water jugs at the start of peoples driveways and sidewalks instead of their front door because I was worried about the wear and tear on my body.

Anyways, sorry about going off on a wild tangent here but hearing that kind of crap from people annoys me.
The game has changed in the last ten years because it's had to compensate for the change in athleticism. People that tend to forget, or worse conveniently overlook, that always annoy me.

There's a difference between dealing with wear and tear, and doing what you have to do to protect yourself. If your job is to haul water jugs, and you're going up a set of stairs with one, and you start to fall backwards, I'd fully expect you to drop the jug and do what you need to, in order to not risk becoming severly injured. Evidently, in your mind, you'd fall down the stairs while trying to keep the water jug safe, regardless of the risk involved.
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #38
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yep, ever since Dunta almost killed Jackson on a crossing route 2 yrs ago. Jackson avoids contact like the plague. Cant say I wouldn't have done the same in a contract yr.
Old 03-20-2012   #39
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep, ever since Dunta almost killed Jackson on a crossing route 2 yrs ago. Jackson avoids contact like the plague. Cant say I wouldn't have done the same in a contract yr.
Exactly, you have watched him play. Arian Foster was in the same type of situation, vastly underpaid but Arian acted a LITTLE different on and off the field.
Old 03-20-2012   #40
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
I would say Wright > Walter = Wright Day 1 Starter. Wright is a first round draft pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This will probably fire up the pro-Kendall Wright crowd, but I see a lot of Troy Edwards in Wright. Big time college WR who made plays all over the field, but couldn't translate that success to the NFL. Edwards had difficulty getting off the line in press coverage and didn't have the 2nd gear to separate deep. A slot receiver, at best. That's basically how I see Wright.

Having said that, I think Wright could be a very good slot receiver in the right system, like with the Patriots. If he gets free release into the secondary, Wright can get open on crossing routes and make some stuff happen after the catch. But that skill doesn't match up with what teams look for in the 1st round.
Very very good comparison Lucky, and you might very well be right. Lord knows I have been wrong before. This draft is a crap shoot. I wanted Revis over Okoye but last year I wanted Cam Jordan and Old Miss Texan wanted J.J. Watt. I would tell him Jordan has experience in the 3-4 and Watt is making a bunch of ankle tackles while Jordan is driving QBs into the ground. My man would say yea but Watt has more upside and will be the better player. It looks like I was just a little wrong on that one . Concerning Wright, he played slot his junior year if I remember correctly and was good but not great. When put on the outside as a senior he had his breakout season. This is how I see it, Dre will get double teamed and the strong safety will have one eye on Arian Foster, especially with the play action. This is the perfect recipe a for a guy with Wrights skill set. If he makes his guy miss watch out, thank you, bye bye. I sure hope I am correct in my evaluation but you never know, especially with a WR, until he gets on the field. Good take man.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read