Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2012   #1
Oz Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 125 Oz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Thank you for a big WR FA pool

There is one thing I'm greatful for is that this FA period had a large WR pool. Its taken some of our biggest competition for drafting WRs hopefully out of drafting WRs early and moving some of them our direction.

Teams needing WRs

Chicago: Signed Brandon Marshall
Tampa Bay: signed Vincent Jackson
Washington: Signed Piere Garcon, Josh Morgan

Thats 3 teams out of our way in the first round.

This maybe moves a Golden Domer named Floyd to 26 which would be a no brainer.
Oz Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #2
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thank you for a big WR FA pool

I have my doubts that Michael Floyd will fall all the way down to #26 even with this deep class of free agent wideouts.

This is good news for maybe the likes of Kendall Wright, Stephen Hill, and/or Reuben Randle being available at that spot.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #3
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I think Floyd will be long gone before 26. Browns and Rams still need a WR I believe. Before FA I thought that Wright would be long gone, now there is a pretty good chance he will be there when we pick. I just hope some team falls in love with Hill's combine numbers. I really like Wright, he has a ton of good tape. Just shows that making or predicting drafts before free agency is an exercise in futility.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59303 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

If we could get Wright or Randle in the 1st and move up to get Hill in the 2nd, it would be as awesome as Watt and Reed last year.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #5
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

There has been some retarded contracts handed out to some of these WR's I think the worst was 42 million to Garcon.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #6
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Wright, Hill and Randle are all second round picks, even if a club should reach for them in the first. None of them are day one starters and imho if a receiver is not ready to start day one, he's not worth a first round pick.

Second round is where the real value lies at wide receiver. All of those guys and more; Jeffery, Sanu, Jones, Toon, McNutt. All have great potential as second or third round picks.
pec0sb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #7
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
There has been some retarded contracts handed out to some of these WR's I think the worst was 42 million to Garcon.
Desean Jackson in Philly + five-year, $51 million = overpaid
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2012   #8
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
Wright, Hill and Randle are all second round picks, even if a club should reach for them in the first. None of them are day one starters and imho if a receiver is not ready to start day one, he's not worth a first round pick.

Second round is where the real value lies at wide receiver. All of those guys and more; Jeffery, Sanu, Jones, Toon, McNutt. All have great potential as second or third round picks.
Good points, but some will be day one starters and get drafted in the first round. Not all of the teams are going to wait until round two or three to take these guys. Just think back to last year when there were a lot of QBs drafted higher than there should have been. That is what will happen this year with wide receivers. I will go out and say that I think Randle is a day one starter however. If you count a #2 WR a starter that is.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Considering what it would've cost to tag him it's a great deal IMO. Dude is at least a top 10 WR and is a threat on special teams.

Garcon could very well could be just as good as Manning made him. I think his contract by far has been the worst for a WR.

I doubt Floyd drops to #26 regardless of who has gone where via FA.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #10
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
Good points, but some will be day one starters and get drafted in the first round. Not all of the teams are going to wait until round two or three to take these guys. Just think back to last year when there were a lot of QBs drafted higher than there should have been. That is what will happen this year with wide receivers. I will go out and say that I think Randle is a day one starter however. If you count a #2 WR a starter that is.
I totally agree. Teams always reach for skill players, it seems. Those QBs that were picked last year that work out will always be considered as shrewd picks and those that don't as reaches, or even busts. It's just that I think many WRs take time to mature, learning to run their routes, etc. and expecting them to start in the NFL as a rookie is a tall order. Here's hoping they all turn out to be Calvin Johnsons!
Old 03-17-2012   #11
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say Wright > Walter = Wright Day 1 Starter. Wright is a first round draft pick.
Old 03-17-2012   #12
majestrate
Veteran

Rep Power: 6672 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just curious, why do you think he was overpaid?
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #13
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
And I'm sure there were quite a few Texans fans upset because Smithiak didn't have every free agent in Houston on Tuesday afternoon so we could waste our money on them. Washington spends more than any other team every year. What's it gotten them?

The draft is there for a reason. You lose a few players each year and you replace them with cheaper draft picks. It's happened every year we've been around. The only difference is we've finally got players other teams want.
Old 03-17-2012   #14
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestrate View Post
veeeeeeeery overpaid.....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #15
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I would say Wright > Walter = Wright Day 1 Starter. Wright is a first round draft pick.
I don't know about that, Walter loves getting his hands dirty and we like our receivers fully committed to the run game, I don't know if Wright would be up to snuff right away.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #16
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Walter is a better blocker for sure but I would say that Wright is better at everything else and would be more productive overall. However, Kubiak is very loyal and puts a lot of importance on a WR ability to block so he would probably start Walter.
Old 03-17-2012   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Outside of Floyd or Blackmon I don't see a WR in the draft that I think would come in and start from day 1.

That is part of the reason I have backed off of my WR in the first round stance. Might as well wait to the second or third round because there will be lots of talented guys available.

I'm more inclined to add a beast to the O or D line...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #18
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wide receiver is one of the most difficult positions to pick up as a rookie. Do you only date supermodels, too?
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #19
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53040 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestrate View Post
He's a selfish, cancerous, one-dimensional primadonna.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #20
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

I probably like more than Wright more than most. When I see him I see a guy who I think could start from day one. The guy is fearless going across the middle, hands like glue, ability to separate, elusive, great yac ability. Floyd is a stud too. Ability to run over a CB, great redzone target, amazing body control and hands . To me they are both day one starters. Floyd ran faster at the combine but I don't think any scout or GM would tell you that Floyd is faster on the football field than Wright. 2 totally different types of receivers. I'm really interested in seeing them on the field. Like you said WR is really hard to pick up in the NFL but personally I think that this class has 3 great WR. I don't think that Hill or the guy from Rutgers or LSU will be good NFL receivers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read