Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2012   #121
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 122673 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith is still an amatuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
How could you even begin to put a grade on the offseason? For God's sake, free agency isnt even a week old yet! We still have a MONTH for the draft! Then there's a whole bunch of other **** to go on. I mean, goodness gracious. Are we that destroyed by this Twitter-age, 24 hour news cycle, internetification, ADD bull**** that we're just in an absolute rush to make definitive judgments?

It is too early. Ask me to grade the offseason once the preseason starts.
Agreed

But I hope this isn't a repeat of the 2010 offseason.

BTW, Briesel wont be that big of a loss. IMHO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #122
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

But I hope this isn't a repeat of the 2010 offseason.

BTW, Briesel wont be that big of a loss. IMHO
2010 offseason?

Would that be after the 2009 season? Our best W/L record to date? Our best defensive performance to date?

What could have possibly gone wrong that offseason? We returned most of our starters. & improved our running game (the only thing that kept the 2009 Texans from reaching the play-offs).

Old 03-18-2012   #123
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Seriously?

The Texans' (publicly stated) policy has always been build through the draft, plug holes with FA. Maybe some have lost perspective of this during the excitement of the offseason. And I can see where it might be a bit of a letdown to not to play while everyone else is having so much fun. Maybe the collective expectations of the Disappointed Masses were misplaced by the splash we made last year during the compressed FA period, in signing JJo and then Manning. D Manning. (Good gosh, let's not start rumors! :-) ) And finally we know that the Texans were in a bit of a cap bind this OS.

People, it is going to be OK. This defense is awesome. Do not forget what your eyes observed last year. The draft is coming. And FA is not over.

None of our FA philosophy should be a surprise.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #124
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

We're the new PIT/NE/GB...

Get used to it. Oh, you're not used to success. Forgot what city I'm trying to reason with...
Old 03-18-2012   #125
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
That's Mario's twitter account. Vinny, in the thread over in NFL forum, said it's verified as being Mario.

Mario is suddenly frolicking through the fields of twitter now that he's with Buffalo. I guess $100 million doesn't make the man secure in his manhood, he has to go out and talk trash to puff himself up and make sure everybody knows it's not his fault he had to take that $100 million contract. Poor guy.
He's trashing Jerome Solomon. Admittedly, there's not many Chron writers I care for, but I have no problem with him getting online and blasting that guy.
Old 03-18-2012   #126
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think your imagination is working overtime. You are seeing a lot, that just isn't there. Adversity.... what does that word mean? Has there been any of it here involving Mario.

VY kicking his ass twice at Reliant.... & the injuries themselves, getting snubbed for the pro-bowl (I think it was his sophomore season).

I don't think Mario is taking any shots at the city of Houston, The Houston Texans, or any of the fans that stuck by him.

& take a look at these threads, there are plenty enough for Mario to separate them from his "real fans"
Complete nonsense.

What is adversity? It's losing to VY in a game that is now so utterly irrelevant that it feels like it was 10 years ago? Injuries that were not anything like blowing your whole foot to hell. Getting snubbed for a PB? Seriously? THAT is the huge adversity he's been through? LOL.

I think if anybody's imagination is working overtime, it might be the guy who said Slaton was running better in 2011 than he was in 2008 (his best season ever) and that Leinart would be competing for QB1 with Yates in training camp.

At the end of the day, the guy is just pissed that it wasn't him leading the way to success. Hims wittle fee-weens got hurt. That led to the whole "I'm glad to go help get somebody over the hump" comment. Yeah, Mario's the missing piece to the end of Buffalo's misery. But it's MY imagination working overtime....LOL.
Old 03-18-2012   #127
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Complete nonsense.

What is adversity? It's losing to VY in a game that is now so utterly irrelevant that it feels like it was 10 years ago? Injuries that were not anything like blowing your whole foot to hell. Getting snubbed for a PB? Seriously? THAT is the huge adversity he's been through? LOL.

I think if anybody's imagination is working overtime, it might be the guy who said Slaton was running better in 2011 than he was in 2008 (his best season ever) and that Leinart would be competing for QB1 with Yates in training camp.

At the end of the day, the guy is just pissed that it wasn't him leading the way to success. Hims wittle fee-weens got hurt. That led to the whole "I'm glad to go help get somebody over the hump" comment. Yeah, Mario's the missing piece to the end of Buffalo's misery. But it's MY imagination working overtime....LOL.
Yes, he's delusional. That's what happens when your judgement is fueled by money. At least his misery in and with Buffalo will be blunted by his millions...........until HE realizes that he is not all that and a bag of chips without support all around him. If Mario does not perform right off the bat as expected like The $100 Million Man, he will quickly go from savior to goat..............I, for one, feel that he has been "over-billed" and over-paid and could very well be seen at the end of the 2012 season munching on the garbage from overturned trash cans.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2012   #128
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
He's trashing Jerome Solomon. Admittedly, there's not many Chron writers I care for, but I have no problem with him getting online and blasting that guy.
Not in the earlier tweets. He was making cryptic references to people "getting what they ask for" and a rude reply tweet to a fan--Mario told the fan the Texans never offered him anything at all...instead of telling the fan a simple "Thank you."
Old 03-18-2012   #129
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34219 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans FO does what they think is best for the Texans, and we all know that us fans have no clue what goes on other than what the media spits out and the carefully chosen words from those in the organization. Besides free agency isn't truly graded until after you have a sample of how the team performs during the season. You guys are also reading too much into the "adversity" statement from MW. Did anyone of you think that he MAY have been talking about his life as whole to include upbringing, family,football etc...I know we're all fanatics about the Texans but lets remember that football players don't always let football dominate their lives. Mario is gone, so be it.
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #130
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think your imagination is working overtime. You are seeing a lot, that just isn't there. Adversity.... what does that word mean? Has there been any of it here involving Mario.

VY kicking his ass twice at Reliant.... & the injuries themselves, getting snubbed for the pro-bowl (I think it was his sophomore season).

I don't think Mario is taking any shots at the city of Houston, The Houston Texans, or any of the fans that stuck by him.

& take a look at these threads, there are plenty enough for Mario to separate them from his "real fans"

I totally agree.
I think anyone seeing "shots at the city of Houston or the fanbase" is reeeeeally stretching it.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #131
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I totally agree.
I think anyone seeing "shots at the city of Houston or the fanbase" is reeeeeally stretching it.
Real talk. I read those tweets. He thanked everyone, just not the "wrong pick" folks, basically.
Old 03-18-2012   #132
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Yes, he's delusional. That's what happens when your judgement is fueled by money. At least his misery in and with Buffalo will be blunted by his millions...........until HE realizes that he is not all that and a bag of chips without support all around him. If Mario does not perform right off the bat as expected like The $100 Million Man, he will quickly go from savior to goat..............I, for one, feel that he has been "over-billed" and over-paid and could very well be seen at the end of the 2012 season munching on the garbage from overturned trash cans.
Really?

who was pushing up the middle, collapsing the pocket on the inside while Mario was here? Who was covering receivers, preventing the QB from releasing the ball in less than 3.0 seconds?

Mario isn't saying he doesn't need help, he's saying he finally has it in Buffalo with Kyle Williams & Marcell Dareus......

Fueled by money?? You say that as if you'd have done different. There is absolutely nothing that should make anyone believe the Texans will repeat or better their 2011 season. 2-14, 6-10.... those are our records after we've "suceeded"

All we needed was a QB. All we needed was a RB. All we needed was a defense.

Wade's sophomore season.

& what we can discern from our FA moves so far.

It's not looking up for the Texans.
Old 03-18-2012   #133
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really think that this has been all that bad an off-season. Every year teams that are good and well stocked lose good players. We lost some good players but if we're drafting right and digging up those UDFA's the way we're supposed to then we'll have people ready to step in.

Mario Williams, I really think we won't miss him. I'm not about to say he's not a good player but we had an outstanding defense last year without him. That doesn't mean it will happen that way again but it does mean that success without Mario is possible.

Mike Brisiel was an UDFA. I didn't know who in the hell he was when he got here and I've no doubt that we've got somebody waiting in the wings to step in. We found him, we'll find his replacement.

Eric Winston was overrated and if Butler doesn't match his performance at RT I'll be genuinely surprised. If he was the RT that he was supposed to be then he'd still be on the roster.

Jason Allen just means more Kareem Jackson and since neither one is clearly better than the other I think this is a wash.

We've brought in enough talent to be worth pillaging and that's a good sign. Now we get to find out if we're steadily finding players or if we just got lucky.
Old 03-18-2012   #134
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

i actually think Rick Smith has done a great job. Am i worried about the o-line,,,just a little, but i think overall Rick Smith has made the smartest and best moves he could with what we have to work with.

I think Caldwell and Butler will do just fine, and i dont think we will see any drop off in run our pass protection. So we have same quality o-line for way less money !

I sill dont see how Jacoby is still on the team though, maybe they just dont see anyone who can replace him at this point !
Old 03-18-2012   #135
GP 
Go Texans!

I re-watched the Texans vs. Redskins game from 2010, week 2. The one where we came back to win on a 4th down and 10 from somewhere around the Redskins' 30-yard line...Schaub shuffles around in the pocket and launches a TD pass to AJ. Then we win in OT with a FG. From that Rackers guy that everyone says is "shaky" and "bothers them."

In that game, Winston missed multiple blocks in pass pro...he took the wrong guy a lot of times, picking up the RG's man instead of the most outside attacker who blasted right by him and nailed Schaub a lot. Schaub was sacked five or six times that day, and Winston's side is where most of those came from.

Oh, and btw...Arian Foster made so many crazy awesome plays that game, it shows why we held onto him. Too many to count or describe to you.

All I am saying is that watching Winston, in that 2010 week 2 game vs. Washington, now that he's not here, you can see where he gets the label of not being good in pass pro. It was pretty bad.
Old 03-18-2012   #136
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I re-watched the Texans vs. Redskins game from 2010, week 2. The one where we came back to win on a 4th down and 10 from somewhere around the Redskins' 30-yard line...Schaub shuffles around in the pocket and launches a TD pass to AJ. Then we win in OT with a FG. From that Rackers guy that everyone says is "shaky" and "bothers them."

In that game, Winston missed multiple blocks in pass pro...he took the wrong guy a lot of times, picking up the RG's man instead of the most outside attacker who blasted right by him and nailed Schaub a lot. Schaub was sacked five or six times that day, and Winston's side is where most of those came from.

Oh, and btw...Arian Foster made so many crazy awesome plays that game, it shows why we held onto him. Too many to count or describe to you.

All I am saying is that watching Winston, in that 2010 week 2 game vs. Washington, now that he's not here, you can see where he gets the label of not being good in pass pro. It was pretty bad.
Finally, a keyboard of reason
Old 03-19-2012   #137
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Mario Williams, I really think we won't miss him. I'm not about to say he's not a good player but we had an outstanding defense last year without him. That doesn't mean it will happen that way again but it does mean that success without Mario is possible.
Absolutely agree with this. I didn't want Mario to re-sign because I thought we "needed" him. I do believe we now need to find another pass rusher, but that's a different argument all-together. I think Mario is elite. I like having elite players on our time.

If we're a top 2 defense next year, that won't prove to me that I was wrong. As I just said, I don't believe we need Mario to be a top 2 defense. I think our chances are better with him.

If we're one of the worst defenses in the league, you won't hear (see) me saying it is because we lost Mario, just like I didn't blame that 2010 fiasco on losing Dunta Robinson, or even his replacement.

However, I will throw an "I told you so" out there if Connor or Reed miss significant time. Whether it was Osi Umenyiora missing 7 games, Justin Tuck missing 4 games, or JPP not recording a sack in 4 games, it is nice to have as many effective pass rushers on your roster as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i actually think Rick Smith has done a great job. Am i worried about the o-line,,,just a little, but i think overall Rick Smith has made the smartest and best moves he could with what we have to work with.
This is the best FA period I've seen in a long time. The 49ers just added Maningham & Moss to add to Ginn, Crabtree, & Davis (Vernon).

If we were sitting around like the Pats, waiting for all the foolish money to get out of the market, that would be fine. But to be sitting here, inactive, because we don't have the cash..... when we've been working diligently for the last three months....

Old 03-19-2012   #138
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
However, I will throw an "I told you so" out there if Connor or Reed miss significant time.
If they do it will be like last year ... next man up. Braman.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #139
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Everytime I see this thread I think of Rick fighting his way up through the ranks...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #140
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't buy this whole Rick Smith is still an amateur thing, his work has been solid for the most part, last years draft with free agency was steller. About the best thing he could do right now is lock up Duane Brown & Brian Cushing to long term deals & avoid similar fate to what happend with Mario Williams

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read