Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2012   #81
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith is still an amatuer

This thread is ridiculous!

alphajoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #82
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
It is unbelievable how fickle sports fans are.
Its a very much so a "what have you done for me lately" fan base. Arian gets signed, "Rick Smith is amazing"! The cuts are made, "Rick Smith is Al Davis and can never rebuild the O-line". Myers gets re-signed, "Rick Smith is no longer Al Davis". Texans have a strong draft, "lock Rick Smith up for 5 more years". Texans lose the season opener, "fire Rick Smith how does he even have a job in the professional world". Texans win 10 in a row, "see I told you we didn't need Winston and Brisiel".

Its very apparent during the season where guys are teetering each week between jumping off a bridge and trying to guess what path the Super Bowl parade will take downtown.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #83
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Worst case scenario? We signed Foster and Myers to long term deals, and good deals I might add. How is that the worst case scenario?
We knew only one thing for sure going into this offseason, we would be able to afford re-signing one of our top players. The rest was a gamble. Chris Meyers could have gone either way. Major parts fell off the ship. Where will the replacements come from? And we are still left wondering if we have enough money to even get back to our 2011level. We are going to rely on the inconsistency of the FO to definitely fix some of last year's problems that screwed the pooch........AND elevate the level of personel to advance to deeper playoff depths. Somehow, we may get there, but IMHO it won't be because of the great forethought that was put into the planning. It will be because we gambled and just happened to luck out. Super Bowl, here we come!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #84
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
The salary cap has turned a lot of posters around here into complete morons. I don't know how a lot of you losers can walk five steps with collapsing onto the ground as your knees start jerking. It's March, fools, March. Have your hissy fit later.
I'm with you. I don't get what's with all da hubub. We retained the key to our running game in Foster. Even locked him up for the long term. We retained the key to our O-line, Myers. Most likely locked him up for the rest of his useful playing days.

We retained the most important pieces of the offense. And, to let some tell it, Mario was no big loss. So I ask again, what's all da hubub, Bub?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #85
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Rick and the FO have their problems, but damn just think about the players they've locked up in the past couple of years:

A top 3 WR
A top 3 (and maybe the best) RB
A top 3 (and maybe the best) corner
A top 5 safety
A top 5 (by value to his team, JMO) center

This front office has done pretty dang good for the most part... You're not going to be able to keep all of your players when every other team in the league wants them, and if you can keep them you've got to pay a pretty penny...

Let's wait and see what this o-line can do... they may not be Winston or Bur-eye-sell, but they have been developing the replacements themselves (if these are to be the replacements)... let's see if all of this works before we say it's a big fail... I mean chit, we wanted Myers out of town two years ago, the only ones who didn't were Kubs and Smith... I remember people killing them on message boards and the radio... just two years later they were killing them for not resigning him fast enough... Then I remember last year people on message boards and the radio dogging the pick-up of Wade Smith... the dude may not be a pro-bowler and probably never will be, but dammit he has worked out pretty damn well there...

Chill. the. hell. out! let it fail before calling it a failure...we've been proven wrong by this coach and the FO quite a bit the past couple of years...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Texecutioner has high expectations. Always has, always will.

He's passionate about it. I don't 100% agree with him on this topic, but I understand where he's coming from. A great team can go back to being mediocre really fast.

I happen to think that we "got good" at a pivotal time--Mario's renewal contract. We should all be thankful that (a) we don't "need" Mario like we did when we stunk to high heaven in 43 defense that had Mario as the focal point of our attack, and (b) that the front office knew they didn't have the juice to sign him but they seemingly waited for him to sign before moving on without him.

Then that guy Mario Williams makes a series of tweets that I think was right up there with Dunta and Carr's comments in the past--That's where I say, "Eff you, Mario. Rick Smith still has a Texans necktie pin and reps the Battle Red and Steel Blue...you went to greener pastures so don't fugging lecture US on how the game is played, pal." I mean, seriously: The guy who should be scorned is Mario, not Rick Smith. IMO. Posters have laid out VERY reasonable explanations as to why we had our hands tied with Mario in his final year. And btw, if we had traded him in like 2010, two years out from today, people would have thought we were crazy for being so reactionary. "What? You go and trade the only real piece of talent you have? LOL!"

Brisiel got overpaid. We all agree on that. So you cannot control that. You cannot lock everybody up like we did Foster. You have to be selective. If you attempt to lock everyone up, everyone who comes in starts pissing and moaning about how "I should get a new contract TOO!" then there goes the team chemistry and players are just trying to get new deals all the time.

By renewing Foster, we showed that the bread and butter of this team is a talented RB who takes a talented o-line and makes them look even better than they are. Signing Myers was saying, "OK, we signed Foster and we're Ok with giving Myers more pay...it keeps the rest of the line humming right along." The two compliment one another. Releasing Winston is not a gamble, it was planning ahead and saving money...what a good GM should be doing. I have no doubt the next guy getting paid will be Duane Brown.

Things are good right now. Things seem surprisingly "fair" all of a sudden. IN the past, you wondered what the grand plan was. Today, it's pretty obvious.
Old 03-17-2012   #87
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny posted a link that the Texans didn't even offer Mario anything FYI (and yeah the Texans knew they couldn't afford him)
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2012   #88
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Vinny posted a link that the Texans didn't even offer Mario anything FYI (and yeah the Texans knew they couldn't afford him)
https://twitter.com/#!/texanstalk its the last thing I tweeted...not gonna tweet again till tonight...so Mario's words are what they are if anyone wants to peek.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #89
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This obviously doesn't reflect on Vinny as he was simply reporting something but Mario saying it, excuse me tweeting it, doesn't make it true. I would rate the chances of the Texans never having made any offer to Mario of any amount as 0%.
Old 03-17-2012   #90
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe not an official offer, but I could see them saying "Go out and see what you can get, I don't think we'll be able to go over 10mil per, but we can try and work things out because we'd love you to stay..."

I agree the Texans knew they couldn't afford him...actually drawing up an offer on paper would have been a waste of a good tree...

Mario knew he wasn't coming back at least as soon as Tuesday... As a matter of fact, he knew he was going to sign with Buffalo as soon as Tuesday... assuming the "bb" in his twitter handle bbwolf90 stands for Buffalo Bills... he registered that account Tuesday...

Old 03-17-2012   #91
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This obviously doesn't reflect on Vinny as he was simply reporting something but Mario saying it, excuse me tweeting it, doesn't make it true. I would rate the chances of the Texans never having made any offer to Mario of any amount as 0%.
That Twitter account doesn't fill me with confidence tbh. It seems very out of character a lot of what he posts on it, and even though he's got a few players tweeting him I'm just not sure.

For a start, a lot of what he's posted to it makes him look a right dumb**** which isn't the impression I've got of him in the past.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #92
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
That Twitter account doesn't fill me with confidence tbh. It seems very out of character a lot of what he posts on it, and even though he's got a few players tweeting him I'm just not sure.

For a start, a lot of what he's posted to it makes him look a right dumb**** which isn't the impression I've got of him in the past.
It's a verified account... that's him... but apparently his buddy got ahold of his phone and was talking all of that junk last night... good excuse...

just like he didn't have to lie that Buffalo was awesome and that's why he's there (it was the money), he doesn't have to lie that his buddy took his phone and started talking junk with it (he holds hard feelings)... both "REAL" reasons are completely understandable...to me at least...

Old 03-17-2012   #93
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
It's a verified account... that's him...
Totally off the subject of Mario, how do you verify a twitter account? How can you know the person is who they say they are?
Old 03-17-2012   #94
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe not an official offer, but I could see them saying "Go out and see what you can get, I don't think we'll be able to go over 10mil per, but we can try and work things out because we'd love you to stay..."

I agree the Texans knew they couldn't afford him...actually drawing up an offer on paper would have been a waste of a good tree...

Mario knew he wasn't coming back at least as soon as Tuesday... As a matter of fact, he knew he was going to sign with Buffalo as soon as Tuesday... assuming the "bb" in his twitter handle bbwolf90 stands for Buffalo Bills... he registered that account Tuesday...
I think the "bb" stands for "big bad", as in bigbadwolf90. Wolf is a reference to his alma mater NC State Wolfpack.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #95
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I think the "bb" stands for "big bad", as in bigbadwolf90. Wolf is a reference to his alma mater NC State Wolfpack.
hmmm... could very well be... thanks...

Old 03-17-2012   #96
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Quote:
Totally off the subject of Mario, how do you verify a twitter account? How can you know the person is who they say they are?
I dunno... probably go through agents and all of that... kind of like how Jim Rome gets his guests to call in on the interview line... the agent or guest is given the number and a password/phrase and the guest calls the numbers and says the word/phrase to verify... there's some type of back and forth through already verified sources (agent, employer/team/whatever)...

Old 03-17-2012   #97
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm with you. I don't get what's with all da hubub. We retained the key to our running game in Foster. Even locked him up for the long term. We retained the key to our O-line, Myers. Most likely locked him up for the rest of his useful playing days.

We retained the most important pieces of the offense. And, to let some tell it, Mario was no big loss. So I ask again, what's all da hubub, Bub?
No hubub BuB

I just think Rick is a below Avg GM. Who rests on the laurels of others. My hope is that he doesn't become complacent like he did after that triumphant 9-7 2009 season.

BTW, since he got Myers re-signed I'm happy with this offseason. Rick has done everything he could have within the salary cap restraints. But Rick/Gary/Wade better do their homework this offseason and have a great draft. (They need to fill holes/add depth) Or 2012 will be a real downer, just like 2010 was for the Great Texans Fanbase.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #98
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I dunno... probably go through agents and all of that... kind of like how Jim Rome gets his guests to call in on the interview line... the agent or guest is given the number and a password/phrase and the guest calls the numbers and says the word/phrase to verify... there's some type of back and forth through already verified sources (agent, employer/team/whatever)...
Well I guess the first two words of your response sum up the point. A twitter account is well open to fakery or abuse by those close to you. Who knows? Like I said, I find the idea the Texans made no offer at all to Mario to be incredulous so my guess is either Mario is lying (which I also doubt) or I tend to believe the someone got hold of his phone.
Old 03-17-2012   #99
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
very true.. I went in an looked at Mario's .. later there was a tweet that said (Mario?) that it was his best friend tweeting and Mario was not on his phone (6 hour drive)
http://twitter.com/#!/bbwolf90
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #100
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

If it's verified, it's verified. They don't just give out the checkmark for everyone. Otherwise I can get verified as THE "TheMatrix31". But who the **** am I?

They have their means to verify.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read