Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2012   #1
Oz Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 125 Oz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Casey, used correctly?

I dont know about all of you but im ok with Dreesen going elsewhere. Reason being we have his replacement on the team right now. James Casey.

That being said. Im not part of the organization or affiliated with the team at all but I personally think that the Texans using Casey as a full back is missusing his talents horribly. Full backs are a dime a dozen breed in the NFL these days but great hands and blocking TEs are not. When your best if not the best WR in the NFL says someone has the best hands on the team using that person as mainly a full back is absurd. James Casey is one of those outstandingly athletic TE that "can" play more than one position. I think thuogh they are shortengin his carrer using him at full back.

So do y ou think the Texans are misusing James Casey? or not and why.
Oz Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #2
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Casey, used correctly?

If your 3rd choice TE has a chance to get on the field more often by calling him a fullback and giving you a load of different looks to throw at the opposition then you do it.

I agree, we can be perfectly comfortable if we have to lose JD.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I will probably be in the minority, but I feel that when Casey was plugged into the FB position instead of Vickers (especially the way Vickers was playing at the end of the season), with the exception of only isolated cases, we lost the expectations of consistent "blowups"......that's not even to compare with what we lost if Vonta was still there. Yes, Casey offered versatility and some ability to "disguise" plays. But he also offered defenses solace that they would not usually be blown up on run plays.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #4
Oz Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 125 Oz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I will probably be in the minority, but I feel that when Casey was plugged into the FB position instead of Vickers (especially the way Vickers was playing at the end of the season), with the exception of only isolated cases, we lost the expectations of consistent "blowups"......that's not even to compare with what we lost if Vonta was still there. Yes, Casey offered versatility and some ability to "disguise" plays. But he also offered defenses solace that they would not usually be blown up on run plays.
I agree which is why he should be used as a TE and not a FB.
Oz Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #5
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree but when you have Vickers to put in situationally when you need the threat of that block, I think they managed to get an extra playmaker on the field at times when maybe Casey would have been stood on the sidelines a lot more last season.

There was clearly a step-change after Casey's injury and he wasn't as much of a threat as he had been early season.

But I will ask this, what is worth more to you, lining up a FB and telling the LB that if when he gets to the hole he may be met by some thug who's going to knock the piss out of him. Or lining up a FB and telling the LB that when he gets to the hole that FB might be breaking into a route uncovered?

Which one causes the LB to slow? Because I'd have thought if that LB is worth his place on the opposing D, he's going to be far more likely to be hesitant at the thought of giving up a big passing play than at the thought of taking a big hit.

I'm hoping that we see Smithiak pick up someone to play FB, with better blocking than Casey and better catching than Vickers. And move Casey back to TE as the #2.

But I don't disagree with his use last season, given the personnel he was up against to get into the game.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Texan View Post
I agree which is why he should be used as a TE and not a FB.
He's neither really. He's more like an "H-back"... Think Frank Wycheck.
Old 03-16-2012   #7
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Traditionally, the Shanahan/Kubiak offense has not had a traditional run blocking fullback, IIRC.
When Kubiak took over as HC, he was looking for more of an H-back type of player. Anyone remember having high hopes for Jameel Cook. He was that type of FB if my memory is accurate.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2012   #8
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has always wanted an H-Back more than a FB and now he has that.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
THAT'S the term I was looking for. H-back.
Didn't Washington use the heck out of 'em during Gibbs' tenure up there... with some measure of success as I recall.

I think Casey could add that dimension to this offense.

...I wonder if he can throw....?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 193947 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Traditionally, the Shanahan/Kubiak offense has not had a traditional run blocking fullback, IIRC.
When Kubiak took over as HC, he was looking for more of an H-back type of player. Anyone remember having high hopes for Jameel Cook. He was that type of FB if my memory is accurate.
I remember him. He wasn't half bad until he got fumblitis
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #11
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrpByY1qHG4
Fili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think so. Catching out of the backfield, as long as he stays healthy he's a threat. Maybe a run here or there. I'd like to see Graham step up and play #2TE but if they decide to move Casey to TE fulltime they really need to draft one or bring a few in for try outs UDFA.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #13
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I always thought he was used poorly. He's an ex factor when used right. He can run,catch,and block good enough. He's big fast and athletic too. He can get vertical on every lb.
Old 03-16-2012   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Casey, used correctly
Casey, as a WalMart greeter: Hi. Welcome to ****ing Walmart.

Old Lady: What did you just say to me?

* Casey throws old lady in a cart and shoves her towards the diapers section *

Casey, as a WalMart greeter: Hi. Welcome to ****ing Walmart.

WalMart manager: I'm afraid we can't renew your contract

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #15
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have put a fullback on the field primarily in short yardage situations over the last two seasons. They actually gained more yards per carry in a singleback formation, as it's typically used in first and ten or second and ten situations. Casey's potential comes in the mismatch with the player tasked to cover him. Now the formation can morph from an I-formation to an offset-I, singleback twin tight end, he can line up in the slot or line up as an H-back and this gives them a matchup advantage against a base package (linebacker) or a nickel (defensive back). They used him some like this at Rice.

No, he's not near the blocker Leach is/was, but he can fill two roles and lets the team put another useful body on the roster, imho.
pec0sb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #16
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Casey will get some more time at TE this year in 2TE sets. It also sounds like they want to get more creative with him like they did last year. I'm looking forward to that, I loved seeing his output in limited time catching passes last year.

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d8291a096/

Quote:
JAMES CASEY TO PULL DOUBLE DUTY FOR HOUSTON TEXANSBy: Brian McIntyre | NFL.comPublished: May 15, 2012 at 6:49 AM
With the Houston Texans losing fullback Lawrence Vickers and tight end Joel Dreessen to free agency, head coach Gary Kubiak will be turning to versatile tight end/fullback James Casey to fill multiple roles on offense , reports John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.

"He’s going to play everywhere," Kubiak said. "He’s our starting fullback. He’s a starting (tight end) if we go to two tights. It’s still about versatility with James."

The 6-foot-3, 243-pound Casey played multiple positions on both side of the football, and even returned punts, during his two seasons at Rice before the Texans selected him in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL Draft. In 45 games, including 11 starts, over the last three seasons, Casey has 32 receptions for 422 yards and one touchdown with one rushing attempt for 11 yards. Most of that production came last year when Casey's playing time increased from 15 percent in 2009 and 2010 to over 30 percent in 2011.

With Kubiak leaning on Casey to fill two key roles on offense, Casey's playing time will spike again in 2012 as Vickers and Dreessen combined to play over 900 snaps last season. The Texans frequently employ two-tight end personnel groupings and both No. 1 tight end Owen Daniels and Dreessen had playing-time percentages of over 65 percent last season.

"It was sad to see those guys leave," said Casey. "I was really close to Joel. He taught me a lot when I came into the league, and I really looked up to him.

"You have to understand that it’s part of the business. I look at it as an opportunity because there are spots available at tight end and fullback. I don’t really know what my role will be right now, but I’m hoping to take another step forward and be a major contributor to this offense, whatever position it is."

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #17
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've mentioned before I would love to see the Texans utilize Casey in a no huddle mode. Start with him as FB and see what look you get from the D. On the next play, go to the line and have him move out to TE or WR based on the personnel the D has out there.

Same thing the other way...start a series with him split out, and get the D in a nickle or dime package and then move Casey back to FB and let Arian pound them for about 6 straight plays.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #18
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Casey has great hands and is a true "football player". I think this will be his break-out season. Using him as both the starting FB and TE to me is perfect because you get an asset that many more opportunities.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
I've mentioned before I would love to see the Texans utilize Casey in a no huddle mode. Start with him as FB and see what look you get from the D. On the next play, go to the line and have him move out to TE or WR based on the personnel the D has out there.

Same thing the other way...start a series with him split out, and get the D in a nickle or dime package and then move Casey back to FB and let Arian pound them for about 6 straight plays.
Exactly. One personnel mistake by the defense and we should take advantage for 3-5 plays. Joe Gibbs made a name for himself causing those kind of mismatches. Base defense? Casey as a a te or wideout. Nickle or dime? Fullback and run it down their gullet.
I have doubts about his season long durability as a fullback but he is a fantastic example of a player who creates mismatches. Only when the defense proves they can stop it should we take a different attack. Any team with average or subpar linebackers should be a signature casey game even if he doesn't have the stats in the end.

He has the best hands on the team. Why aren't we using them?
Old 05-15-2012   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

The evolution of James Casey.

I remember his first couple years here he was always talking about just making the team. Now he's talking about becoming a major contributor to the offense.

He's a seasoned vet at this point. Time to unleash.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read