Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-16-2012   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New Mock

1) Jerel Worthy, DL

I am officially on the Worthy train. This guy is a beast. Big, Nasty, explosive, highmotor, talented...He would add a lot to our defense and would atleast be in a heavy rotation with Cody and eventually take over as the full time starter. I thnk whoever gets this guy is going to get a really good player.

I love the attitude and explosiveness and the big nastiness he brings to the position. WOuld be an AWESOME pick up for us.

2) Mitchell Swartz, OT

Would come in and compete with Butler for the starting position. At the very least I think he would be the team's swing tackle winning that Job over Derek Newton (even though I'd like to keep Newton around too). I've read that the team has shown interest in him, so hopefully they feel like I do about him. I think, depending on how things shake out he could even play some guard.

3)Tommy Streeter, WR

Big talented guy that I think would be good value here. I think this guy is going to be a good player in the NFL if he has a good QB and some good coaching. He has all of the tools and he's already pretty good at finding space underneath while at the same time having the ability to take the top of the defense and make tough catches in traffic.

Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock

I really like 1-4, though I'd prefer Brandon Thompson to Worthy it's very close and have no problem with Worthy. I'm not familiar with 5 & 7 at all and I think we can get #6 as an UDFA since he's so one dimensional. I think we'd have to get lucky for Blake to be there in the 4th. Very good mock, if it fell this way I'd be happy.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

4) Phillip Blake, C

Yeah...I know a lot of people don't think he will be available here, but I think it's a good possibility. If he is available here, it would be an excellent pick up for us because I think he'd fit well in this system. With or without Meyers I'd pick him up here.

5) Brandon Lindsey, OLB

Talented player, but to me he looks a little sloppy at times. I think he's come in a push Braman and Nading for the back-up positions. I wish we could have retained Mario, but even without him I like Nading and Braman as the primary back-ups. I think Nading is better than he gets credit for, and I think if Braman can get stronger he can be a really good rotational player as well.

6) Chad Diehl, FB

With Vickers gone Diehl would be a great pick-up. He might even be a better blocker than Vickers was. He is a true full-back and would compete with Casey for the starting Job. I'd like to see Casey get the second TE role if Dreesen leaves and I think Diehl would be able to ease the burden on Casey. Between OD, Grahm, Casey, and Dield I'd be very good with the TE and FB positions.

7) Travis Benjamin, WR

Very fast guy and actually a pretty good receiver. I'm picking him here primarily as a returner, but I think that he is more polished as a position player than Trindon Holiday. Trindon would compete with Benjamin to make the roster as the teams primary returner.

Old 03-16-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

4) Phillip Blake, C

Yeah...I know a lot of people don't think he will be available here, but I think it's a good possibility. If he is available here, it would be an excellent pick up for us because I think he'd fit well in this system. With or without Meyers I'd pick him up here.

5) Brandon Lindsey, OLB

Talented player, but to me he looks a little sloppy at times. I think he's come in a push Braman and Nading for the back-up positions. I wish we could have retained Mario, but even without him I like Nading and Braman as the primary back-ups. I think Nading is better than he gets credit for, and I think if Braman can get stronger he can be a really good rotational player as well.

6) Chad Diehl, FB

With Vickers gone Diehl would be a great pick-up. He might even be a better blocker than Vickers was. He is a true full-back and would compete with Casey for the starting Job. I'd like to see Casey get the second TE role if Dreesen leaves and I think Diehl would be able to ease the burden on Casey. Between OD, Grahm, Casey, and Dield I'd be very good with the TE and FB positions.

7) Travis Benjamin, WR

Very fast guy and actually a pretty good receiver. I'm picking him here primarily as a returner, but I think that he is more polished as a position player than Trindon Holiday. Trindon would compete with Benjamin to make the roster as the teams primary returner.

Blake is my 4th round and I have Diehl round 7. He is an awesome blocker and could star imo. Cheap replacement for Vickers.
Old 03-16-2012   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Philip Blake stood out for me at the combine: really looked the part, not "pregnant" like that pic. I don't see him dropping to the end of the 4th.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

JL is best suited as a 4-3 DT. Would target Fletcher Cox, Michael Brockers, Kendall Reyes in that order. Of course Kendall Wright still trumps all!!!!!!

Mitchell Swartz, is a solid pick. Texans must address OT need via draft early.

I guess I'm the only one not on Streeter Bandwagon? Too undisciplined & raw in his game just like Jacoby when he came out. I would rather opt for a different WR here with sound fundamentals, like a Kevin Walters/Jordy Nelson clone.

Phillip Blake could be taken as high as the second round, just because he plays Center doesn't make him last until end of the 4th rd. Late third, if you really, really want him.

Lindsey seems like decent value, Texans said they always need pass rushers.

Like Chad Diehl pick. Texans need that lead blocker for the run game, cuts down wear & tear on their rb's too.

I want Texans to draft a kicker in the 7th. All mocks from here on to get the BL seal of approval must bear this in mind.

BL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Love it.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2012   #8
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

I want Texans to draft a kicker in the 7th. All mocks from here on to get the BL seal of approval must bear this in mind.

BL
Bullock will be drafted, and there are 25 other teams ahead of us in the 7th. I don't like our odds there. If we really want Randy, let's draft him in the 6th. Otherwise, we pick up an UDFA or three and have a kicking competition.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Trade tate for Browns first round pick; Trade #26 for extra second and third, Trade third and fourth and next years 5th to get back into the second giving us 1 first, 3 second round picks, 1 third, 1 fourth, fifth and sixth:

1) Kendall Wright, WR

2) Kelechi Osemele, OG

2) Bruce Irvin, OLB

2) Jayron Hosley, CB

3) Mike Martin, DL

4) Isiah Pead, RB

5) Janzen Jackson, S

6) Randy Bullock, K

7) Chad Diehl, FB
Old 03-23-2012   #10
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trade tate for Browns first round pick; Trade #26 for extra second and third, Trade third and fourth and next years 5th to get back into the second giving us 1 first, 3 second round picks, 1 third, 1 fourth, fifth and sixth:

1) Kendall Wright, WR

2) Kelechi Osemele, OG

2) Bruce Irvin, OLB

2) Jayron Hosley, CB

3) Mike Martin, DL

4) Isiah Pead, RB

5) Janzen Jackson, S

6) Randy Bullock, K

7) Chad Diehl, FB
Wouldn't complain with this at all. Irvin's had a spotty past in terms of off the field issues I believe. I wonder if this will take him off our board?
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1) Kendall Wright, WR

2) Kelechi Osemele, OG

2) Bruce Irvin, OLB

2) Jayron Hosley, CB

3) Mike Martin, DL

4) Isiah Pead, RB

5) Janzen Jackson, S

6) Randy Bullock, K

7) Chad Diehl, FB
Another good one but I don't know how well Osemele fits our system.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

New Mock:

I'm going to trade all the way out of the first round to the top middle of the second (maybe Wright or Stephen Hill fall to us and someone wants to trade up and pick them)

I'll pick up a 2nd, 3rd, and a 5th

2) Alshon Jeffrey, WR

I really like Alshon as a prospect. I don't kno if he will last to this position, but if he does I'd take him here in a heartbeat. If he is not here there are quite a few other prospects that are attractive in this range. He has super star potential. The guy is just a beast.

2) Shea McClellin, OLB

I watched some more of this guy and read some more scouting reports. I have said that he wasn't my favorite OLB prospect, and he's still not....BUT I like him more than I previously did and I agree with something I read on the boards by another poster (can't remember who said it)...He'd be a perfect fit with this group of guys.

3) Mike Martin, NT

I really like how this guy plays in the trenches. Add his game film to his measureables and I thnk he'd be a steal right here. He wouldn't need to be a star, but I think he could come in and make some plays for us and hold down the middle. I think he's versatile enough to hold the point, track down runs and penetrate in the passing game.

3) James Brown, OG

I admit that I don't know a lot about him other than what I've read. Fairly raw, but a really good athlete. Maybe he can be a future starter for us, maybe he can push Caldwell and make him better this coming season. Either way he seems like he'd benefit this football team.

4) Nate Potter, OT

More O-line depth. Again, I don't know if Potter lasts this long but if he does I think he'd be a good fit for what we want out of our O-line. Big tall rangy kid with good athleticism.

4) Chris Rainey, RB, WR, ST

I like his versatility. I think he could do what Casey does except as a 3rd RB/WR rather than FB/TE...Plus he has returner skills. If Jacoby makes it to the regular season he needs to be off punt return duties.

5) Janzen Jackson, S

I like this guys game. Some character concerns and less than impressive measureables at workouts is why he falls. I think he's a better player than Shilo Keo and I'd like them to compete for a roster spot.

5) Asa Jackson, CB

I like Asa Jackson as a CB actually, but he also has return skills. I think he's a better prospect than Sherrick is. And he'd also add more speed to the DB's. He's a tough kid, not afraid of contact and has pretty good ball skills. He will push the back end of CB roster.

6) Randy Bullock, K

We need a kicker and he's a pretty good one.

7) Chad Diehl, FB

I think this guy would be a valuable asset to our team. He is a true punisher and a true bruiser, but he's still athletic enough. I really like atching this guy play as he seems to be the type of player that enjoys a good old collision headache. My type of guy.

I didn't draft and ILB. I know that is a must get spot for a lot of people, but I figure we can re-sign Dobbins for cheap. Sharpton should be ready for the season, and I actually like Mister Alexander a lot. I look for Mister Alexaner to eventually get regular playing time. But basically, for a position that won't see a whole lot of tick, I like what we have/the possibility of filling that role with bargain FA's...

Last edited by Rey; 03-30-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2012   #13
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 49584 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
New Mock:

5) Janzen Jackson, S

I like this guys game. Some character concerns and less than impressive measureables at workouts is why he falls. I think he's a better player than Shilo Keo and I'd like them to compete for a roster spot.
MSR!

I like Janzen Jackson a lot! Unlike Bruce Irvin I could see the Texans taking him because I think Jackson's character issues are behind him...and man, what an athlete!

If we drafted him over my favorite, Tremain Thomas, I would not be sad...but why not draft them both? In fact, Jackson is just a CB waiting to happen, and I could forego Minnifield over him. Let him sit a year, have him return some kicks. The McManis days are done.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

No particular complaints. Except my ongoing anti-Mike Martin-ness...

Actually, I think you can do better than James Brown but personal preferences aside, I could Diehl with this pretty well.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

New Mock with a trade down. Going to trade our 1st for a 2nd and a 3rd.

2) Shea McClellin

2) Mychal Kendricks

3) Mike Martin

3) Brian Quick

4) Tommy Streeter

4) Chris Rainey

5) Janzen Jackson, S

6) Randy Bullock, K

7) Chad Diehl, FB
Old 04-10-2012   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

2) Shea McClellin

2) Mychal Kendricks

3) Mike Martin

3) Brian Quick

4) Tommy Streeter

4) Chris Rainey

5) Janzen Jackson, S

6) Randy Bullock, K

7) Chad Diehl, FB
damn skippy, been peeking @ my notes! All you need then is a couple undrafted linemen, TE & kicker who could push for roster spots

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #17
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Despite no OL, that's not a bad draft. If you could sneak one in somewhere though it would be perfection.
Old 04-11-2012   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

3) Brian Quick

4) Tommy Streeter
This is the part of your mock I don't get. These picks seem to be redundant. Two big, raw receivers that don't compliment each other. As TimeKiller suggests, dropping one and going o-line would make more sense. I prefer Quick, who seems to be the stronger athlete. Though Streeter has the deep speed the Texans say they are looking for.

On the other hand, I really like the Rainey pick. Can play in the slot, a 3rd down RB, and a returner. Very versatile with big play potential in the mid round area. I just wonder if Kubiak will go for another Holliday type player (though I think Rainey is the superior football player).
Old 04-12-2012   #19
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I just wonder if Kubiak will go for another Holliday type player (though I think Rainey is the superior football player).
I think they will. Someone to fill multiple voids, be an x-factor. Hard to complain about Rainey's ability but there are other choices too, Keyshawn Martin could be a huge special teams playmaker/slot option. AJ Jenkins has some legit speed, Chris Givens as well. Don't leave out Kendall Wright. Can't remember his name, like Owusu or something from Stanford has track speed (I think he was the fastest at the combine). I wouldn't doubt it or be surprised by it one single bit. The offense needs a lift, an infusion of speed for sure. For all anyone wants to say about Jacoby's speed it MIGHT have been on display twice last year. I know they won't cut him until they have a legit option behind him but it seriously still bugs the F outta me he even got to fly home with the team from Baltimore.
Old 04-12-2012   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This is the part of your mock I don't get. These picks seem to be redundant. Two big, raw receivers that don't compliment each other. As TimeKiller suggests, dropping one and going o-line would make more sense. I prefer Quick, who seems to be the stronger athlete. Though Streeter has the deep speed the Texans say they are looking for.
That's a fair point.

My thinking though is to take two guys and hopefully one pans out. I like both of them, and I think they could help the team in different ways. Streeter is a guy that can take the top off of the defense and make the tough long catches, but he's also pretty good in the red zone and finding open holes underneath zone coverage. Big body, good athlete.

I like quick simply because, like you said, he's more strongly built and could probably do more to help from day 1.

But you are right in that they don't compliment each other and it's not likely that the Texans will take two receivers like that if they are planning on having Jacoby on the team next season.

I think that these picks along with Rainey would maybe make Jacoby dispensable depending on how things shook out during camp and pre-season. And I'm not a Jacoby basher, but I'm just unsure about him and his future here.

Quote:
On the other hand, I really like the Rainey pick. Can play in the slot, a 3rd down RB, and a returner. Very versatile with big play potential in the mid round area. I just wonder if Kubiak will go for another Holliday type player (though I think Rainey is the superior football player).
Yeah, I really like Rainey. He was productive in college as well. I think he could come in and play in spots and immediately be a boost to special teams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read