Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-15-2012   #1
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mike Brisiel/signs with Raiders

I was listening to the local radio today and the sense around the fourm why are yall so worried about losing him

first of all hes getting older and has been injured alot

ANd the big one Cant u see the coaches plan look we got

Thomas Austin G
62 Antoine Caldwell G
66 Andrew Gardner G
71 Shelley Smith G

4 yes FOUR """"""Younger"""""" Guards on this team i think the picture is has clear has Day Kubes is going to let these battle it out in the off season winner gets the job at RG ..so this means Mike is expendable

same with dressen and who ever else is on our UFA list

.....But i do agree keeping Myers would be something i would do depending on what type of money he wants
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #2
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11687 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Brisiel????

Did you see how the offense struggled in the games he missed last year??

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #3
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Did you see how the offense struggled in the games he missed last year??
Well to be fair those games he missed were also when the Texans had a rookie QB under center.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #4
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I just remember thinking Caldwell is not looking too good and I think it had to do more with him just not being as good as Brisiel. However, I am excited about Smith. I'm going to trust the coaches on this one for the following reason. He is not going to be expensive to resign so if the coaches let him walk it is not because they don't have the money, it's because they think that they have his replacement on the roster already. If this coaching staff has shown one thing it is that they know how to pick o-linemen.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a problem with Brisiel or Dreesen walking, we've got depth on the roster already to fill their shoes. Myers would be tough but not impossible to replace and if Myers does need to be replaced then as long as we do it soon we should be alright. The O-line has all the offseason OTA's and training camp to gel as a unit.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I don't have a problem with Brisiel or Dreesen walking, we've got depth on the roster already to fill their shoes. Myers would be tough but not impossible to replace and if Myers does need to be replaced then as long as we do it soon we should be alright. The O-line has all the offseason OTA's and training camp to gel as a unit.
I sort of agree with you. I think Brisiel is more replaceable than Dreessen. Dreessen was more of a scoring threat than O.D. was this past season (3 TDs for O.D. and 6 for Dreessen). And Dreessen is the stronger blocker of the two.

As guards go, Brisiel is okay, but I don't think he isn't replaceable.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #7
TheEastwood
Veteran

Rep Power: 935 TheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respected

I think dreesen scored so much because teams paid more attention to od. Most of the time he scored he was wide open. I remember that long td he had. I don't believe their was anyone within 20 yards of him.

I think grahem could be more than servicable in that role, but id really like to see casey as a tightend. I feel he's almost criminally underused. Everytime he's had the chance to be showcased (new orleans, 2nd ten game) he has gone off
TheEastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2012   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I was listening to the local radio today and the sense around the fourm why are yall so worried about losing him

Thomas Austin G
62 Antoine Caldwell G
66 Andrew Gardner G
71 Shelley Smith G

4 yes FOUR """"""Younger"""""" Guards on this team i think the picture is has clear has Day Kubes is going to let these battle it out in the off season winner gets the job at RG ..so this means Mike is expendable

.....But i do agree keeping Myers would be something i would do depending on what type of money he wants
Optimistically hoping you are right, but could someone explain what evidence you use to make a decision that any of the guys listed is a starting OG? Smith played 2 games in 2010 and only a few plays in 2011 if that as most of the year he was on IR. Most of them are very low draft picks that statistically have musch less chance of making team rather than starting. I had no problem drafting them but give me a reason to think we could trade all of them for a backup RG.

If you think any of them other than Caldwell was drafted with an expectation of being a starter in less than three years, I think you are wrong. He instilled no hope in me the few plays he replaced Briesel. Broken leg Briesel.
Old 03-16-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

Thomas Austin G
62 Antoine Caldwell G
66 Andrew Gardner G
71 Shelley Smith G

Losing 40% of your offensive line (assuming the Texans re-sign Meyers - 60% if they don't) is a huge obstacle to overcome. Continuity is huge for O-lines, especially with the scheme the Texans run. It's not as easy as "unplug 'A' and plug in 'B'".

Winston, Brisiel, Meyers, etc. may not be any great shakes individually but as a unit they were solid.
Old 03-16-2012   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Losing 40% of your offensive line (assuming the Texans re-sign Meyers - 60% if they don't) is a huge obstacle to overcome. Continuity is huge for O-lines, especially with the scheme the Texans run. It's not as easy as "unplug 'A' and plug in 'B'".

Winston, Brisiel, Meyers, etc. may not be any great shakes individually but as a unit they were solid.
Spot on. People dont feel Briesel is a world beater, just that we already lost Winston, might lose Myers, and dont want to have 60% of our o-line be new and then have to hear that "gel" bull-****.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

As it looks now (assuming the mass defection) the OL would be adding Caldwell and Butler, both of whom have spent multiple years with the Texans. They should be ready to start and gel quickly. that key is should be, we don't know for sure in either case.
Old 03-16-2012   #12
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think its too early to go down this road of thinking. Winston, Briesel, and Myers could all be re-signed. Winston was let go because of a salary issue. The Cardinals cut their starting OT Levi Brown for the same reason. A couple of days later they re-signed him to a more team friendly contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see Winston return.

The thing about Winston and Myers are that they are fairly scheme specific. Winston is a pretty light OT(only 315) and Myers is a very light Center (only 292). I could see both of them returning.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #13
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Brisiel was our b/u Center as well.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #14
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

We had what many around the league regarded as one of, if not the best lines in the league. Now, we stand to lose up to three of them and some people are like "no big deal, we'll just replace them and move on". I hope so, but I'm not so sure.
Old 03-16-2012   #15
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
We had what many around the league regarded as one of, if not the best lines in the league. Now, we stand to lose up to three of them and some people are like "no big deal, we'll just replace them and move on". I hope so, but I'm not so sure.
It is no big deal. We have absolutely no control over what the Texans do or do not do.

And as of right now - none of our FA OL have signed anywhere - there is just as good a chance that they re-sign with us. If not, the Texans will decide who to put in there - again - nothing we have any control over.

I am sure we will have an OL at the beginning of the season - who it consists of remains to be seen.
Old 03-16-2012   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I think its too early to go down this road of thinking. Winston, Briesel, and Myers could all be re-signed. Winston was let go because of a salary issue. The Cardinals cut their starting OT Levi Brown for the same reason. A couple of days later they re-signed him to a more team friendly contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see Winston return.

The thing about Winston and Myers are that they are fairly scheme specific. Winston is a pretty light OT(only 315) and Myers is a very light Center (only 292). I could see both of them returning.
If I understand correctly, the Texans can not re-sign or more accurately restructure Winston's contract because he had less than two years on the current contract... Or something to that effect. So, he is gone. With regards to Meyers, someone out there may be willing to overspend for someone who is perceived as one of the top two or three centers in the league.
Old 03-16-2012   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I understand correctly, the Texans can not re-sign or more accurately restructure Winston's contract because he had less than two years on the current contract... Or something to that effect. So, he is gone. With regards to Meyers, someone out there may be willing to overspend for someone who is perceived as one of the top two or three centers in the league.
His old contract no longer matters - to the Texans or anybody else. He can sign a new contract here just like he can any one of the other 31 NFL teams.

That said, the chances of that happening are very very small.
Old 03-16-2012   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
As it looks now (assuming the mass defection) the OL would be adding Caldwell and Butler, both of whom have spent multiple years with the Texans. They should be ready to start and gel quickly. that key is should be, we don't know for sure in either case.
I would cautiously agree with you AT, especially about Butler because I think he's actually a superior pass-blocker to Winston, though granted that's not a real high bar for Rashad to meet. But he is primarily a finesse guy, really a LT, and our run-blocking will fall off under Rashad because Winston did excel in that area.
I don't know what to think about Caldwell, who was drafted in the third round basically to replace Myers as I recall ? Maybe he'll finally realize the potential the Texans saw in him if we lose Myers ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #19
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the problem was you can't restructure with only 2 years left without doing an extension. I'm guessing they didn't want to extend and end up giving him more than his worth over the next few years.
Old 03-16-2012   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Optimistically hoping you are right, but could someone explain what evidence you use to make a decision that any of the guys listed is a starting OG? Smith played 2 games in 2010 and only a few plays in 2011 if that as most of the year he was on IR. Most of them are very low draft picks that statistically have musch less chance of making team rather than starting. I had no problem drafting them but give me a reason to think we could trade all of them for a backup RG.

If you think any of them other than Caldwell was drafted with an expectation of being a starter in less than three years, I think you are wrong. He instilled no hope in me the few plays he replaced Briesel. Broken leg Briesel.
Now don't forget that Brisiel was an UDFA and we claimed Myers off the Denver scrap heap for a 6th. Our system and coaches - and their hard work, can't leave that out - has turned both of them from "WhoDats" into marketable commodities. Since neither has signed, it remains to be seen how marketable they are. They may end up right back here.

If they don't, the same system and O-line coaches that developed them can develop others.

...at least that's what I keep telling myself.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read