Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2012   #41
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: thank the lord we didnt sign mario. now what to do?

Its sunny outside!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #42
majestrate
All Pro

Rep Power: 9427 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
The lack of new threads is a huge reason for the limited activity in this forum in my opinion.

Nothing I hate more than to go to a message board and see the same dang 7 threads with 15 pages worth of bs in each for 5 days straight.

Give me more choices from which to choose. I think merging threads all the time is counter-productive.
Then let's fix it. Mods should change the "Reply" function to "Post New Thread". That'll make the forums suspiciously active

Edit Also, you people and your "tons of new threads with same discussion points is better" have been poisoned by 4chan :P
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #43
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2935 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestrate View Post
Then let's fix it. Mods should change the "Reply" function to "Post New Thread". That'll make the forums suspiciously active

Edit Also, you people and your "tons of new threads with same discussion points is better" have been poisoned by 4chan :P
You're just trying to be difficult to prove a point. Keep talking in extremes..there IS a middle ground you know.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #44
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
You're just trying to be difficult to prove a point. Keep talking in extremes..there IS a middle ground you know.
Yeah. We should start a new thread about that.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #45
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly.

Why not just have one thread. It's all about the Texans right. Just have a thread called Texans, stuff everything in there.

See...we can both do the silly, second grade, talking in extreme stuff.
Old 03-15-2012   #46
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yeah. We should start a new thread about that.
I think we should start a new thread about not starting new threads just for the sake of starting a new thread and reading people's complaints about new threads simply because they detest new threads and aren't sure why they really don't like new threads.

OH, No, I started that thread first, it was me! It was me!

It's like reading a forum of a bunch of 5 year olds at recess. Can we get back to football please?
Old 03-15-2012   #47
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
I think we should start a new thread about not starting new threads just for the sake of starting a new thread and reading people's complaints about new threads simply because they detest new threads and aren't sure why they really don't like new threads.

OH, No, I started that thread first, it was me! It was me!

It's like reading a forum of a bunch of 5 year olds at recess. Can we get back to football please?
Gonna start a new thread for that?
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2012   #48
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2935 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly.

Why not just have one thread. It's all about the Texans right. Just have a thread called Texans, stuff everything in there.

See...we can both do the silly, second grade, talking in extreme stuff.
The bottom line for me is that an important player (for better or worse) in the history of the franchise left the team today and folks REALLY think there should be exactly ONE thread about it?

Why not let people talk? It's the offseason and the board is dead anyways. I don't see the harm in a handful of threads about Mario.

In the spirit of ridiculous ideas...why don't we make a board for each player? And you have to restrict your comments to him alone? That would be super efficient!
Old 03-15-2012   #49
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hou-tex View Post
gonna start a new thread for that?
lol :d
Old 03-15-2012   #50
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Gonna start a new thread for that?
Nicely done!!
Old 03-15-2012   #51
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
There was no need for this thread. None.

It's a two-parter: Part 1 is "Thank the lord we didn't sign Mario." Part 2 was "Now what to do?"

The first part is rhetorical and has no thread value. No discussion value.

The second part could be discussed in another thread about our free agency moves. That thread EXISTS. It's real. I promise.

At the end of the day, this sort of thread is always created because someone wants to drive discussion to THEIR newly-created thread. As if a guy has just created a new secret hideout and he wants all the guys to hang out with him at his new location. It's acceptance-driven, actually.

Because otherwise, he could have made that statement (the thread title) in one of the existing threads...but he knows it will just get passed over as 12 people make posts right after he does. Simple explanation as to why we don't start new threads when others exist.
I know. I started it. It's called "The Replacements... who do we target?"
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #52
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

There should be the following threads, and that's it:

The Mario Williams Thread
The Myers/Brisiel Thread
The "Other" FA Thread
Trade/Release Rumor and Discussion Thread
Potential FA Pickups Thread (or a Who Could/Should We Sign Thread)
________ Signs Deal With Texans Thread

All the discussion should be contained in those. Not sure why that's so hard or what's so objectionable about that. Anything pertaining to those topics goes in the proper thread.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #53
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The lack of new threads is a huge reason for the limited activity in this forum in my opinion.

Nothing I hate more than to go to a message board and see the same dang 7 threads with 15 pages worth of bs in each for 5 days straight.

Give me more choices from which to choose. I think merging threads all the time is counter-productive.
I think he's serious...

you'd rather look in 20 or 25 different threads of 5-10 pgs each to find what you want? That sounds like a waste of time to me.

And talk about thread hi-jacking... three pages and maybe 5 posts that address the original post...
Old 03-15-2012   #54
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
There should be the following threads, and that's it:

The Mario Williams Thread
The Myers/Brisiel Thread
The "Other" FA Thread
Trade/Release Rumor and Discussion Thread
Potential FA Pickups Thread (or a Who Could/Should We Sign Thread)
________ Signs Deal With Texans Thread

All the discussion should be contained in those. Not sure why that's so hard or what's so objectionable about that. Anything pertaining to those topics goes in the proper thread.
But I'm special and I have different thoughts than yours on Mario signing with the Bills! I want my own thread so my ideas don't get lost in all the other people's opinions!

Old 03-15-2012   #55
AMartin56
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I think he's serious...

you'd rather look in 20 or 25 different threads of 5-10 pgs each to find what you want? That sounds like a waste of time to me.

And talk about thread hi-jacking... three pages and maybe 5 posts that address the original post...
Show me where there are 25 threads about the same subject. From what I can see at most FOUR or so threads were about Mario prior to them being merged. So congrats on using extreme examples as well. And now it appears that all four of the threads died after being combined...so yay for progress I guess.

I'm sorry but I don't think FOUR threads is a big deal.....especially when dealing with a former first round pick leaving the team. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old 03-15-2012   #56
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

To answer the point made about people who'd like more than one thread on each subject, all that happens is people feel compelled to post their thoughts in both threads, some will only post in one but not the other, the viewpoints and information either gets repeated or (worse) ends up being available in one place but not the other.

Personally, I thought there were too many threads on the Mario thing for the last few weeks and even the last year as a whole to keep abreast of what the feeling was.

Honestly, I think people would be a lot more upset about losing Mario if it wasn't for all the duplicate thread issues.

I mean, what possible advantage could there be to having a bunch of different threads.

Also, there is at least one person in this thread for whom the majority of their post history pertains to thread-etiquette
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
To answer the point made about people who'd like more than one thread on each subject, all that happens is people feel compelled to post their thoughts in both threads, some will only post in one but not the other, the viewpoints and information either gets repeated or (worse) ends up being available in one place but not the other.

Personally, I thought there were too many threads on the Mario thing for the last few weeks and even the last year as a whole to keep abreast of what the feeling was.

Honestly, I think people would be a lot more upset about losing Mario if it wasn't for all the duplicate thread issues.

I mean, what possible advantage could there be to having a bunch of different threads.

Also, there is at least one person in this thread for whom the majority of their post history pertains to thread-etiquette
Williams is a Welsh name, no?
Old 03-15-2012   #58
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Show me where there are 25 threads about the same subject. From what I can see at most FOUR or so threads were about Mario prior to them being merged. So congrats on using extreme examples as well. And now it appears that all four of the threads died after being combined...so yay for progress I guess.

I'm sorry but I don't think FOUR threads is a big deal.....especially when dealing with a former first round pick leaving the team. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Actually I was addressing the level of effort you spoke to. What's the diff if it's "7 threads with 15 pages worth of bs in each for 5 days straight" or 20-25 different threads of 5 pages each? Seems like a lot of work in either case.

And you're right. We've already spent waaay too much time on "to merge, or not to merge"

The mods have to do it. Let them call it.
Old 03-15-2012   #59
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Over/Under for this thread? 10 pages
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #60
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Williams is a Welsh name, no?
I hear you ask Texan_Bill, could we take this thread anymore off-topic than it has gone already? And I answer your question, with what follows;

Quote:
Despite Wales‘ relatively small size as a country it seems to have had a particular influence on the creation and history of the USA. The Welsh have played a disproportionately big part in American life. Many of the Welsh men and women who emigrated to America to start a new life had emigrated there from Wales to seek a new life away from the economic and cultural oppression that was being carried out by the central London government on the nations of Britain. This was a problem faced by Wales as well the other Celtic countries of Scotland and Ireland.

It should therefore be of no major surprise that almost 50% of the Signatories of American Independence were Welsh, 20% of the pilgrim fathers were Welsh as was the captain of the Mayflower itself. There have been at least 9 American presidents of Welsh descent including three of arguably the most iconic and influential American presidents; Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln. Thomas Jefferson who became good friends with fellow Welsh American president John Adams was the principle author of the revolutionary declaration of American independence whilst Jefferson Davis is famously the only Confedarist president. Abraham Lincoln is perhaps the most famous and most iconic of all American presidents; Lincoln was very proud of his Welsh heritage as illustrated by the imported Welsh tablet stone he made sure was built in to the Washington monument and donated by the Welsh citizens of New York which reads; “Fy iaith,fy ngwlad, fy nghenedl Cymru – Cymru am byth” (My language,my land, my nation of Wales – Wales forever)

The man who financed the American war of independence against central English rule was Welshman Robert Morris; Pennsylvania and Rhode island was also founded by Welshmen. It was also Welshmen who established America’s main Universities and colleges; Yale, Princeton, Brown, William and Mary, Virginia, John Hopkins, Andover and Bryn Mawr being prime examples.

The Welsh society of Philadelphia is the oldest ethnic organisation of it’s kind in America. There is even strong evidence to suggest America itself is called after a Welshman Richard ap Meryk, Anglicised to Richard Amerike (or Ameryk) (c. 1445–1503) who was the principal owner of John Cabot’s ship Matthew during his voyage of exploration to North America in 1497. It has been speculated that “America” is derived from his name, owing to his sponsorship of the voyages to Newfoundland, rather than from Amerigo Vespucci, the explorer and map-maker.

Today there are over 11 million people in the USA with Welsh surnames. It is also very notable that there are a disproportionally large number of African Americans with Welsh surnames, brought about largely by freed slaves taking on local Welsh Methodist / baptist preachers and local leaders’ surnames, and later through intermarriage but also, alas, in some cases from Welsh slave masters.

Aside from the unchangeable but addressable history of what happened to the native Indians of America and the whole African slavery trade which occurred at the hands of white European settlers in general, the Welsh settlers of north America have made and are making a substantial and significant positive influence on the cultural and civic development of American society and government in general; the true values of individual liberty and freedom from tyranny hopefully being core principles that can be grasped and secured for future generations.
http://thewelshsurnameshop.com/?page_id=15
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read