Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2012   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Shawntee Spencer rumor

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wntae-spencer/

UPDATE: Spencer told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com that he heard from the Texans within minutes of his release becoming official

--------
FWIW, Remember the Texans curent DB coach was previously in SF.
Old 03-15-2012   #2
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2331 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Shawntee Spencer rumor

Sounds like a possible Jason Allen replacement if he doesn't come back
Naiirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41467 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

How many corners have the Texans drafted in the last 2 or 3 years, and if this is true the team still must not see any real upside in any of them ?
Thank god we've got one side covered with Joseph.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #4
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Amazing how ones trash is another's treasure by looking at the comments.
Old 03-15-2012   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 82854 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Some additional detail. Wasn't Vance Joseph the DB coach in San Fran?

@MaioccoCSN: Within minutes of release becoming official, ex-49ers CB Shawntae Spencer told me he received phone call from Texans DBs coach Vance Joseph.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Some additional detail. Wasn't Vance Joseph the DB coach in San Fran?

@MaioccoCSN: Within minutes of release becoming official, ex-49ers CB Shawntae Spencer told me he received phone call from Texans DBs coach Vance Joseph.
Yes sir, he was.

I like how news is starting to leak out now that Mario is gone.

I think everybody has been hush-hush until they knew he was 100% gone.

Now we can be free to deal with guys and set our roster. I hope we deal wisely. We need to. Badly.
Old 03-15-2012   #7
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Yes sir, he was.

I like how news is starting to leak out now that Mario is gone.

I think everybody has been hush-hush until they knew he was 100% gone.

Now we can be free to deal with guys and set our roster. I hope we deal wisely. We need to. Badly.
Exactly, I think they set aside the money they offered Mario. Now that they know he is gone though they can start working with that money. It was kind of like the Nmandi and Joseph deals last year. We had all the money offered to Nmandi but then just decided to jump on JJo while we had the chance. Thankfully it didn't take Mario that long to make his decision or we would have potentially missed on some players.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2012   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
Exactly, I think they set aside the money they offered Mario. Now that they know he is gone though they can start working with that money. It was kind of like the Nmandi and Joseph deals last year. We had all the money offered to Nmandi but then just decided to jump on JJo while we had the chance. Thankfully it didn't take Mario that long to make his decision or we would have potentially missed on some players.
I agree. 100%.

I'm actually surprised we waited that long. I know it was a short time, in all honesty, but minutes and hours are crucial.

Now it seems like we need Myers to come back down to earth for awhile. I have to wonder if he will, or if some team will get crazy on us. Tick, tock...
Old 03-15-2012   #9
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. 100%.

I'm actually surprised we waited that long. I know it was a short time, in all honesty, but minutes and hours are crucial.

Now it seems like we need Myers to come back down to earth for awhile. I have to wonder if he will, or if some team will get crazy on us. Tick, tock...
I hear where you are coming from, but sometimes in negotiations, time is your best ally.

Notice teams that have not made any big moves...Giants, Packers, Ravens, Patriots, Steelers ... Texans

Teams that have...Buffalo, Tampa, Redskins,
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
I hear where you are coming from, but sometimes in negotiations, time is your best ally.

Notice teams that have not made any big moves...Giants, Packers, Ravens, Patriots, Steelers ... Texans

Good point. I don't see many playoff teams scrambling to shell out big bucks.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Think I'd rather have Jason Allen back.
Old 03-15-2012   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Good point. I don't see many playoff teams scrambling to shell out big bucks.
YUP!!! Very good point. The teams making a "splash" are teams that need to re-ignite their fan-base...

Seriously Buffalo, is Mario going to increase your 26th ranked defense to a top 10 defense the way Wade Phillips turned one of the worst defenses into the 2nd best defense (oh, and BTW the best in the post season), largely without Mario for 11 games?

Seriously Buffalo, is that salary and gauranteed money worth a guy whose watermark over the last three seasons has been 9 sacks.... Seriously Buffalo? I hope this ignites their fan base again so that they don't have to play one game a year across the border in Toronto and share a venue with Toronto Argonauts (not that there's anything wrong with that ).

"Don't worry, I have an 'angle'"
~Hannover Fist - Heavy Metal

*curious how many people get that reference*
Old 03-15-2012   #13
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
YUP!!! Very good point. The teams making a "splash" are teams that need to re-ignite their fan-base...

Seriously Buffalo, is Mario going to increase your 26th ranked defense to a top 10 defense the way Wade Phillips turned one of the worst defenses into the 2nd best defense (oh, and BTW the best in the post season), largely without Mario for 11 games?

Seriously Buffalo, is that salary and gauranteed money worth a guy whose watermark over the last three seasons has been 9 sacks.... Seriously Buffalo? I hope this ignites their fan base again so that they don't have to play one game a year across the border in Toronto and share a venue with Toronto Argonauts (not that there's anything wrong with that ).

Doubt it, I live in Toronto, and the reason why the Bills franchise opened their doors to us is because we make up a chunk of their ticket sales at Orchard Park. People from Southern Ontario also make up a good percentage of their season tickets every year.

As long as we continue to shell out the money, Buffalo won't be able to ignore the 4th largest market in North America.

But no worries, I can go to a Bills a game and yell that he's going to regret not signing with us on the cheap for us.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 82854 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sterrn was the one with the angle. Hanover Fiste is the guy who turns into the freaking hulk and tries to kill Sternn.

Actually, Fiste was Sternn's "angle".

(I obviously had to look this up to make sure I was remembering correctly)

STERNN

Shut up, Charlie. I got an angle.

LAWYER

What angle?

STERNN (pointing to Fiste)

Him!

*Full Disclosure*
I have the Heavy Metal soundtrack on my iPhone. LOL
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #15
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

STERRRRRNN!!!

I loved that movie. Think I'll dig it out of the archives today and watch it again.
Thanks for the memory jog Thorn
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #16
SCOTTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Think I'd rather have Jason Allen back.
I would like to see him back too, his stats are identical to joesph
SCOTTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #17
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd honestly prefer them to move on from the split time thing next season.

I supported it wholly last year and it worked to good effect, but now I feel its time for Kareem to sink or swim, and if it was to be sink, I think it'd be time to see what Harris and Roc are bringing to the party, having had a year of coaching.

I know some people will be apoplectic at the thought of this, but I trust Wade to be able to scheme through any inherent weakness and I expect a first rounder to be able to hold his own at this point.

If not, at the end of next season, I will be on the goodbye Kareem bandwagon, although I really don't believe it would come to that.

This isn't to say that them looking at Spencer would mean that they would definitely start him/put him in the Allen role, but then, if he's not going to play, then why load up at CB again when we have this perpetual movement of young CB's on our roster who never get the chance.

Molden went to the Pats last year and started at times. Ok he wasn't great, but he never saw the field for us even through 2010!!
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #18
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. 100%.

I am starting to think that the more time goes by the better as far as Myers, The reason is he has visited a couple teams and left without a deal so he has to be seeing his true value. Now I am not saying he is not a good center but that he is a system center and with that it limits his value. Keep this in mind GB's C Scott Wells same boat and still has not signed.These system guys are coming down to earth which hopefully helps the Texans bring Myers in at the price they want.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
I am starting to think that the more time goes by the better as far as Myers, The reason is he has visited a couple teams and left without a deal so he has to be seeing his true value. Now I am not saying he is not a good center but that he is a system center and with that it limits his value. Keep this in mind GB's C Scott Wells same boat and still has not signed.These system guys are coming down to earth which hopefully helps the Texans bring Myers in at the price they want.
We're thinking alike. In reality teams know what they're going to get with Myers. For a Man-Blocking system he's a little small and has a history of being weak at the point of attack. Seems like only a year or two ago we were complaining about this even for our system. My guess is him and the rest of the line have caught on to what they're supposed to do in a ZBS under Benson AND we've gotten better guard play.

He might be able to land a higher contract somewhere, possibly, but I hope the question he's asking himself is "Is this a system that maximizes my talent? Is this a place where I can continue to play at a pro-bowl level?"
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #20
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
He might be able to land a higher contract somewhere, possibly, but I hope the question he's asking himself is "Is this a system that maximizes my talent? Is this a place where I can continue to play at a pro-bowl level?"
More players need to do that in my opinion. I've turned down jobs that would have paid better, but they weren't as good of a fit for me as a slightly lower paying job. In the long run, it worked out - I make more and have a higher position now because of my performance than I would have made in the other job. I also want to be in a position where I can do great work, no just get paid more. Getting pid more to work for a bad company would drive me nuts after a while - it's harder to put out a max effort at a bad company once you've been there a while living in a culture of mediocrity.

Same thing might be true for players - they may earn less money, but they could wind up with Super Bowl rings, Pro Bowl nods, or even HOF status by choosing a better fit over more $$$.

Money isn't everything. Nobody really remembers a player years later for their big contract, because someone else will have always had a bigger one later. They'll remember them for their play, so fit becomes important. If a player cares about "legacy" they should care about fit, too.

These comments are in general - in no way is Myers a HOF center, but the general concept applies.

Note: I fully appreciate that players feel the need to maximize their earnings in their short careers, and that money is the only thing that drives some people.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read