Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2012   #21
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Question for all the arm-chair GMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
and yards per carry only went up .7 yards...
Only? That's huge. That's the difference between a star (> 4.2 ypc) and a scrub (< 3.5 ypc)

I wouldn't attribute all that to Vonta though. They also added a credible threat at WR which makes safeties play off the line.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #22
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Jacoby can block and is still a capable returner regardless of a boneheaded play in the playoffs. I think that's the only reason he's still here.
Yeah. Man, too bad he's bad at everything else, right?
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #23
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Jacoby is still here because the Texans are waiting for training camp to start so they can find a replacement for him. At least I hope so.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #24
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Only? That's huge. That's the difference between a star (> 4.2 ypc) and a scrub (< 3.5 ypc)
4.2 YPC is not star numbers at all.
Old 03-15-2012   #25
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2934 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Jacoby can block and is still a capable returner regardless of a boneheaded play in the playoffs. I think that's the only reason he's still here.
I just can't agree with that. He goes sideways more than forward, doesn't judge fair catches very well and because of it catches way too many balls on the first hop.

He might occasionally break one but the risk vs reward isn't worth it IMO.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #26
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Confidence in the front office? No.

They've had one very good year and they've been here more than half a decade. Ask me again next year, but as it stands now last season was the anomaly.
Old 03-15-2012   #27
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
4.2 YPC is not star numbers at all.
Not for a single year, no.

Foster was 'only' 4.4.

Regardless, you could move it to 3.8 and 4.5 and it's a legit statement. .7 ypa is huge.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2012   #28
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post

I wouldn't attribute all that to Vonta though. They also added a credible threat at WR which makes safeties play off the line.
I don't think +.7 yp carry is THAT huge, but i will admit i probably downplayed it a bit...

Either way, Rice's average this year with Leach is still .6 yards less than his '09 average...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #29
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Leach and Mario would both make the Texans a better team. But neither of them are worth keeping for the price of their new contracts. It's that simple.

#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #30
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I just can't agree with that. He goes sideways more than forward, doesn't judge fair catches very well and because of it catches way too many balls on the first hop.

He might occasionally break one but the risk vs reward isn't worth it IMO.
I'm looking at the perspective of everyone in the front office. We're a run first team, and Jacoby can block. His average returning is still in the top half of the league. That's exactly what the front office sees and yes you can make the argument that he goes east west before north south quite a bit, he still is a "capable returner". That's why Jacoby is still here.

Nate
Old 03-15-2012   #31
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Leach and Mario would both make the Texans a better team. But neither of them are worth keeping for the price of their new contracts. It's that simple.

Exactly.
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #32
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Insolvency? No I think our company just had a lot of Producers that are looking for substantial pay raises. Our CEO is thinking the company can continue making decent earnings by finding new producers at half the cost. Shareholders would probably agree to such a move. Particularly if there are a couple other key employees and executives that they anticipate paying next year.
I think it's a valid analogy because in my view Smith has mismanaged the financial component of his roster to the extent that its aggregate has exceeded the cred limit/cap-total Smith must operate within. Think of the cap-limit he had to get under Monday as an acceleratiion clause that he had a mandatory obligation to get under and he met it by selling off a few feet of frontage from the side of his yard in the form of his RT. But then there's your interpritation which is also OK.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #33
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

losing leech didnt seem to effect foster that much

Losing schaub during the Div playoff round seemed to hurt alot tho thats prob the main thing i know LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #34
Iceman16
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I don't think +.7 yp carry is THAT huge
It is that huge
Old 03-15-2012   #35
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
It is that huge

Basically my point is it's not that huge when trying to judge a FB's impact on the number... It's still 4+ yds per carry and still less than 5...same as it was the year before... It's not like he went from 2.7 to 4.7... THAT'S huge...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
At the time I was ok with letting him go but looking back I think I was wrong and it was a bad decision. Sure it would have cost but we could have deducted Vicker's salary (not much but would reduce Leach a bit) and Vickers could have been our pro bowler rather than theirs. How much better would our backs have been with Vontae? I don't think Leach would have began as poorly as Vickers did either. Jacoby should have been the one not re-signed and money would have equaled out. We would not be looking for a FB to protect our QB and block for our guys and we would have been forced to draft a WR last year and might not be in shape we are now.
Other than the fact that we had to resign David Anderson, because KDub & Jacoby were our only healthy WRs... I think I see your point.
Old 03-15-2012   #37
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
This whole offseason to this point is one giant fail. The consistently good teams manage the cap, aquire talent at a fair price point, draft well, keep good players and release ones they can part with and promote from whithin. The Texans have some of these points down pretty well, others not so much and the cap management is atrocious right now.

And whoever thought it was a great idea to release Winston while retaining Jacoby Jones needs to be strung up, quartered, and flambayed over hot coals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Confidence in the front office? No.

They've had one very good year and they've been here more than half a decade. Ask me again next year, but as it stands now last season was the anomaly.

Porky and Runner pretty much some up my feelings about the Texans thus far.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #38
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not all of us was upset with Vonta moving on. I was against signing him, even after giving that money to Jacoby (which I also do not agree with).

But here's the deal.

For years, we've had armchair GMs getting on McNair for being cheap, but we've never in the life of this franchise had the capspace teams like the Bills, Bucs, or Bengals have had.

Now, we had to cut our starting right tackle to save cap space..... we had to cut the most likely QB to be able to start for us to get under the salary cap...

2/5ths of our OL is not under contract right now, another 5th was just cut & the worst player on the OL is not included in that 3/5ths.

No, I'm going back to wondering WTH we pay Rick Smith for.
I've never really understood this sentiment that has been out there. Have we ever been in a situation where we weren't close to the cap? I think in the first 5 seasons we constantly had bad contracts that killed us, but I don't remember us having tons of room. I didn't think McNair was cheap, we just didn't use our money wisely.
Old 03-15-2012   #39
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

The only thing that makes Vonta not worth $3M to us, is that he didn't fit our plans. That FB position is going to be something special, with a guy like Casey back there. Remember when we signed Cook..... he was an average to poor blocker & supposedly a better receiver out of the back field.

We weren't looking for a sledge like Vonta when we found him either, I don't think he earned his spot until after two or three games when the coaches realized he was making some monster holes & laying some "grown men" straight the F out.

But, when the OL is blocking like they should & the RB is reading & cutting like he should, we don't need that sledge hammer, we can get by with a maul, or a big ball-peen.
Old 03-16-2012   #40
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

At the time I was a fan of Leach but knew the FO would never pay him big money. I think they were intrigued with the potential of using Casey as an H-back and only signed Vickers in case the attempt fell flat...then Casey was injured. We gained more ypc in a singleback formation than an I-formation in both 2010 and 2011, which makes sense since we used a fullback more in short yardage situations.

The fact is that player personnel decisions have to both follow some sort of a budget and stay under the cap. Case in point: We all heard that the Bears were in the chase for Mario Williams, which made zero sense if you thought about it. They very may well have had the cap room but what owner would carry two defensive ends earning 15 million apiece? 25% of your entire payroll? C'mon, man. Could any team afford to have Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald on the same roster?

If they resign Myers or Brisiel for fat cash it would probably be a long-term mistake in terms of cap and attempts to avoid overspending at one position or group. If they come back and sign on the cheap after finding a soft market in free-agency, cool. For now we just have to relax and sip a little more Smithiak kool-aid and trust that this glorified zone-blocking scheme system they've built can be made to work on aftermarket replacement parts from AutoZone and Colorado State. I'm kind of in denial at this point and hope they draft someone that can start at right tackle, as I can see Butler being abused by some of the defensive ends around the league.

Demeco Ryans is making way too much money given his limited snaps but I don't think they can cut him due to the structure of his contract and would still get the full cap hit this year and next. As much as we loved him as fans he's hurting the team in terms of available money. Maybe they can trade him to a 4-3 team that can get more value from him. Anyway, I think they need an ILB that can cover in the base package and stay on the field on passing downs (sub-packages). Cushing can rush the quarterback from inside if they have someone next to him that can chase a slot receiver or tight end. I think Cushing secretly hopes that Payton signs in Tennessee where he can help him with that little neck problem. I particularly like seeing that special pouty face Manning makes as he looks for someone to blame when he's sacked.

Antonio Smith is getting into the fat part of one of the bigger free agent contracts the Texans ever signed. He's one of the more disruptive interior pass rushers around but get too many penalties. I don't thing they can
afford to tie up nearly $8 million in cap at this positionafter this year. It wouldn't surprise me if they looked for another 5-technique defensive end that can stay on the field on passing downs (like JJ Watt) this draft or next and said sayonara to the ninja.

As much as I dislike saying it, they'll probably keep both Jones and Walters. They make about 3 million each and that's not a lot for a receiver that catch the ball about half the time (Jones) or catch the ball and fall down (Walter). Just please don't make me watch Jones field anymore punts or kicks, please.

I think we can now safely dispense with all pre-free-agency mock-drafts and team need assessments. Still want them to use the #26 pick on a wide receiver? I think O-line is higher on their big board than we realized. I'm
also seeing linebackers, inside and outside on their draft board. Punters and kickers will be on there as well. Can we please get through a season without a rookie busted for PEDs? I also think my obsessive desire for a big
nose tackle that can dominate opposing centers will remain unfulfilled. Maybe I can find a therapy group for that.

Maybe someday someone will enlighten me why they couldn't get anything for Eric Winston. His contract wasn't that big compared to many starting right tackles. I know they had to make cuts to get under the cap by March 13. It seems they could have shopped him at an earlier date for a second or third as they didn't just make this decision a couple of days ago. His release seemed to generate a lot of interest. I'm just sayin'...
pec0sb0b is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read