Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2012   #1
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Question for all the arm-chair GMs

I want to give our front offense the benefit of the doubt, especially with respect to offense. I think the track record since Kubiak took over supports it.

Consider...

Last year, I remember the pursuit of Vonta Leach as a free agent. Vonta Leach wanted 3 yrs, $11 mill. The Texans FO thought that was too rich and let him go to the Ravens. Many of the armchair GMs on this site thought that it was the worst move ever, complaining that Vonta Leach was a linchpin to a successful running game. However, without Leach's presence (and even with Casey out for several weeks), the team somehow managed to be ranked 2nd in the league rushing (versus 7th with Vonta).

So while the team is facing budget limitations, how many out there are willing to step up and say...(1) they were wrong about needing Leach (2) they are glad we still have the money that Leach didn't get so that we might be able to sign one or more OL (3) perhaps Kubiak and Smith know at least a little something about what they are doing for the offense.
TexansRule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #2
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Question for all the arm-chair GMs

I also have something to add on to that.

Trust the front office with their decisions. They are there instead of YOU for a reason! Sure, there will be questionable moves, but we can't even scratch the surface of what they go through in a day, week, or year.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansRule1 View Post
I want to give our front offense the benefit of the doubt, especially with respect to offense. I think the track record since Kubiak took over supports it.

Consider...

Last year, I remember the pursuit of Vonta Leach as a free agent. Vonta Leach wanted 3 yrs, $11 mill.
Not all of us was upset with Vonta moving on. I was against signing him, even after giving that money to Jacoby (which I also do not agree with).

But here's the deal.

For years, we've had armchair GMs getting on McNair for being cheap, but we've never in the life of this franchise had the capspace teams like the Bills, Bucs, or Bengals have had.

Now, we had to cut our starting right tackle to save cap space..... we had to cut the most likely QB to be able to start for us to get under the salary cap...

2/5ths of our OL is not under contract right now, another 5th was just cut & the worst player on the OL is not included in that 3/5ths.

No, I'm going back to wondering WTH we pay Rick Smith for.
Old 03-15-2012   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

The "downgrade" from losing Leach was not worth the 11 million in their eyes. And seeing as how we are having cash issues this offseason, I am glad they didnt make that deal.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #5
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Consider...

Last year, I remember the pursuit of Vonta Leach as a free agent. Vonta Leach wanted 3 yrs, $11 mill. The Texans FO thought that was too rich and let him go to the Ravens. Many of the armchair GMs on this site thought that it was the worst move ever, complaining that Vonta Leach was a linchpin to a successful running game. However, without Leach's presence (and even with Casey out for several weeks), the team somehow managed to be ranked 2nd in the league rushing (versus 7th with Vonta).

So while the team is facing budget limitations, how many out there are willing to step up and say...(1) they were wrong about needing Leach (2) they are glad we still have the money that Leach didn't get so that we might be able to sign one or more OL (3) perhaps Kubiak and Smith know at least a little something about what they are doing for the offense.
You fail to mention the fact that we high a much larger share of he pie when it came to ToP though due to the fact that our defense could actually stop the other offense. I still believe getting rid of Vonta last year was a bad idea, look how much better Rice looked comparatively.

http://www.nfl.com/player/rayrice/941/profile
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #6
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not all of us was upset with Vonta moving on. I was against signing him, even after giving that money to Jacoby (which I also do not agree with).

But here's the deal.

For years, we've had armchair GMs getting on McNair for being cheap, but we've never in the life of this franchise had the capspace teams like the Bills, Bucs, or Bengals have had.

Now, we had to cut our starting right tackle to save cap space..... we had to cut the most likely QB to be able to start for us to get under the salary cap...

2/5ths of our OL is not under contract right now, another 5th was just cut & the worst player on the OL is not included in that 3/5ths.

No, I'm going back to wondering WTH we pay Rick Smith for.
Rick Smith found all those guys to begin with except for Winston, they traded a 6th for Myers and Brisel was an UDFA. They got great production from them cheaply and now they've grown out of their contracts and are looking to get paid, its just the nature of the game and we can't keep them all. His job now is to try to retain them or move on and find their replacements. The FO has proven they can put a line together using anywhere from a 1st round pick (Duane Brown), to cheap FA signings (Wade Smith), to even lower end resources like how Myers and Brisiel came about.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Rick Smith found all those guys to begin with except for Winston, they traded a 6th for Myers and Brisel was an UDFA. They got great production from them cheaply and now they've grown out of their contracts and are looking to get paid, its just the nature of the game and we can't keep them all. His job now is to try to retain them or move on and find their replacements. The FO has proven they can put a line together using anywhere from a 1st round pick (Duane Brown), to cheap FA signings (Wade Smith), to even lower end resources like how Myers and Brisiel came about.
Agreed. The world keep turning, time keeps ticking, and we just gotta keep moving. None of this is the end of the world. Our FO just has to keep doing what they do. I think they do a good job of finding quality undervalued guys that will produce for us. Next man up!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2012   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77470 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Armchair GMs ?????

Lately. all I seen from armchair GMs is pulling a bunch of numbers out of their asses to make people think they know what the hell is going on, when they don't have the slightest clue.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that Rick Smith or Kubiak is infallible with their decisions for the Texans, but I do think they are in the upper half of front offices in terms of drafting and acquiring talent. I get worried when we start losing defensive pieces as it seems to take us longer to replace talent there than it does in the offense.

Not paying Leach was the right move. As much as I loved him being the coke machine, you can't pay a guy that much money when he's not on the field in a lot of formations. Means I'm also in favor of asking Demeco to take a paycut or a restructure, or he gets the Winston treatment.
Old 03-15-2012   #10
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

What's happened to the Texans this week is the football equivalence of financial insolvency - they had to liquidate valuable assets to keep their heads above water and continue operations.
CFOs in business sometimes loose their jobs for this kind of incompetance though I'd be surprised if company CEO McNair would go so far as to dump Rick Smith, but then if he did it would not be the first stunner Texans fans have had this week.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #11
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
You fail to mention the fact that we high a much larger share of he pie when it came to ToP though due to the fact that our defense could actually stop the other offense. I still believe getting rid of Vonta last year was a bad idea, look how much better Rice looked comparatively.

http://www.nfl.com/player/rayrice/941/profile
Look how much better? It really wasn't that much better... Sure, TDs went up (but what about Ravens total rushing TDs, not just one player's rush TDs), but yardage was only 124 yds better, and yards per carry only went up .7 yards...

He only had 25 more yards this year than in '09 and averaged less per carry...

Get that outta here...act like he doubled production or something...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
What's happened to the Texans this week is the football equivalence of financial insolvency - they had to liquidate valuable assets to keep their heads above water and continue operations.
CFOs in business sometimes loose their jobs for this kind of incompetance though I'd be surprised if company CEO McNair would go so far as to dump Rick Smith, but then if he did it would not be the first stunner Texans fans have had this week.
Insolvency? No I think our company just had a lot of Producers that are looking for substantial pay raises. Our CEO is thinking the company can continue making decent earnings by finding new producers at half the cost. Shareholders would probably agree to such a move. Particularly if there are a couple other key employees and executives that they anticipate paying next year.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #13
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56384 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

This whole offseason to this point is one giant fail. The consistently good teams manage the cap, aquire talent at a fair price point, draft well, keep good players and release ones they can part with and promote from whithin. The Texans have some of these points down pretty well, others not so much and the cap management is atrocious right now.

And whoever thought it was a great idea to release Winston while retaining Jacoby Jones needs to be strung up, quartered, and flambayed over hot coals.
Old 03-15-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

At the time I was ok with letting him go but looking back I think I was wrong and it was a bad decision. Sure it would have cost but we could have deducted Vicker's salary (not much but would reduce Leach a bit) and Vickers could have been our pro bowler rather than theirs. How much better would our backs have been with Vontae? I don't think Leach would have began as poorly as Vickers did either. Jacoby should have been the one not re-signed and money would have equaled out. We would not be looking for a FB to protect our QB and block for our guys and we would have been forced to draft a WR last year and might not be in shape we are now.
Old 03-15-2012   #15
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Amen to that Porky! What the heck is that about? I don't want to watch him do his line dance again all next year and then lose yards. OMG! Edspecially now that we are really starting over with our OLine it seems. I'm sick! And very disappointed.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #16
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 5916 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Horrific drafting got us here. Thanks Rick Smith.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #17
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Plus the effectiveness of Bill Kollar, I think we have a pretty good tandem to produce capable linemen for the ZBS scheme here in Houston. I'm not too worried about Butler playing RT, or caldwell stepping in with a full offseason and OTA's of taking first team reps in the right guard position. There will be a dropoff, but we'll figure it out. We need to resign Myers though if the price is reasonable.

Nate
Old 03-15-2012   #18
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2934 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate that Jacoby is still here as well but I think he's still around for a couple of reasons:

Kubiak likes system guys and thinks that Jacoby's experience in our system makes him more valuable than a rookie would be (I don't agree)

and more importantly:

This is payback for all the drafts where we whiffed on defense (especially the secondary). We would have upgraded the WR position long ago if it wasn't for all the scrambling for defensive backs over the last few years. Which leads us back to Kubiak setting us back with his 'I'll hire my no experience buddies as defensive coaches' for so many years prior to hiring Wade.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #19
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Consider...

Lol? We didn't need Leach. We couldn't afford him and we made the right decision in letting him walk. Kubiak still doesn't know dick. You've got your homer goggles on.
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #20
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I hate that Jacoby is still here as well but I think he's still around for a couple of reasons:

Kubiak likes system guys and thinks that Jacoby's experience in our system makes him more valuable than a rookie would be (I don't agree)

and more importantly:

This is payback for all the drafts where we whiffed on defense (especially the secondary). We would have upgraded the WR position long ago if it wasn't for all the scrambling for defensive backs over the last few years. Which leads us back to Kubiak setting us back with his 'I'll hire my no experience buddies as defensive coaches' for so many years prior to hiring Wade.
Jacoby can block and is still a capable returner regardless of a boneheaded play in the playoffs. I think that's the only reason he's still here.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read