Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2005   #1
Rightnow
Veteran

Question This season is a mystery

The last 3 seasons I felt like I had an idea of how we would do. I have no idea what the outcome of this season will be. It could be anywhere from 4-12 to 10-6.

There are big questions on each side of the ball. Will the O-line be improved? Will DD remain healthy? Will Carr progress? Will the new secondary be better? Will the LB's be better? Will Palmer call better plays? Will we continue to give up third and long?

I don't know what to expect, I just hope we do well.

Rightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightnow
The last 3 seasons I felt like I had an idea of how we would do. I have no idea what the outcome of this season will be. It could be anywhere from 4-12 to 10-6.

There are big questions on each side of the ball. Will the O-line be improved? Will DD remain healthy? Will Carr progress? Will the new secondary be better? Will the LB's be better? Will Palmer call better plays? Will we continue to give up third and long?

I don't know what to expect, I just hope we do well.

Look, if we did absolutely nothing this offseason and didn't even have a draft, we'd be better next season. Outside of DL, our entire team is young and most of the key players haven't reached their prime yet. Hey, maybe they won't be great players, but it's safe to say that Wand, Pitts, Gaffney, AJ, Weary, MBrown, Carr, Alexander, Robinson, Earl, RWalker, Babin, Peek, etc.... will be better in there 3rd and 4th years than they were as rookies or second year players.

We're young. We have depth and this year we'll begin to see how much talent we've assembled. Of course we could have a worse record than last year. Things happen. However, this year's team is clearly better and I see no reason to not have hope for the playoffs. We certainly can't expect it, but there is plenty of reason to hope for it. Get excited about this season because great things could happen!!!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #3
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

Carr will be better no matter what but if our Oline is better than he'll be great. If DD is hurt I feel safer now because we have Morency and I think Hollings could still be good. Our WRs are for sure better and our secondary should be better because now Earl has experience and we also have PB whos young and fast. Our Dline got better and I think we will do a good job at LB because we have A LOT of depth there. I just wish we would've done something about our TE position
Old 05-08-2005   #4
FatBoyTim
Rookie

i thinl not upgrading the OL will be catastrophic mistake. I also think getting rid of Glenn for PBuch was a bad move. The D has alot of issues at LB and S and CB now. Tough sledding.
FatBoyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

yikes you guys need to lighten up, here is a link that might help http://www.houstontexans.com/main/ne...rs%20Spotlight
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335888 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSharper55
this is gonna be a monster season for the texans but in all the bad ways............... we needed alex barron or derrick johnson but we got a DT (travis johnson) wich we are converting to DE because w of gery walker but if we was stupid enough to get a DE we should of gotten Eramouse James or something like that....................We should start Mckinnie on guard and hogden to center..........but if we get lucky we will end up 4-12 at the season
You do understand that most of the time all three DLmen positions in a 3-4 are played by DT's right?--examples, Seth Payne, Gary Walker, Robaire Smith. Or how about the fact that Erasmus James had zero chance of ever playing DE in a 3-4?--do you have a list of 266lb 3-4 DE's by any chance?
Old 05-08-2005   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
this is gonna be a monster season for the texans but in all the bad ways............... we needed alex barron or derrick johnson but we got a DT (travis johnson) wich we are converting to DE because w of gery walker but if we was stupid enough to get a DE we should of gotten Eramouse James or something like that....................We should start Mckinnie on guard and hogden to center..........but if we get lucky we will end up 4-12 at the season
You have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, your comment about James indicates that you have no idea that we run a 3-4 or what that implies. Second, you somehow think that you know the 5th round center is ready to start in the NFL. Interesting. How many times did you watch him play in college and what do you think are his strengths that will make him successful in the NFL?

By the way... I'd give you good odds on a bet that the Texans win more than 4 games next year, if you're interested.
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2005   #8
Texans1984
Rookie

heck im glad we got rid of glen well not to glad but pbuc his younger faster and a great cb i know i was a jerry rice fan so i would watch the raiders he was really good . go pbuc givem hell
Texans1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i love it when people come on and run their mouth and make a fool of themselves makes me feel a lil better !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #10
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
You have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, your comment about James indicates that you have no idea that we run a 3-4 or what that implies. Second, despite your ignorance, you somehow think that you know the 5th round center is ready to start in the NFL. Interesting. How many times did you watch him play in college and what do you think are his strengths that will make him successful in the NFL?

By the way... I'd give you good odds on a bet that the Texans win more than 4 games next year, if you're interested.
I bet wer WAY BETTER! than 4-12 but being 4-12 wouldnt be the end of the world. We could trade are 1st overall pick for some good sutff (lineart) is gonna to be in HIGH demand!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005   #11
LBblitz
Veteran

Quote:
AMEN!

I have a better idea...lets throw in the towel and move the team to L.A lol...lighten up dude.

Old 05-08-2005   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Saying were going to go 4-12 is just asking to get blasted. Anyway I'm really getting excited about this upcomming season, especially about our LBs. If any of yall have any preseason tapes from last year plug in the Dallas game and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about, I'm watching it right now. In the first half we pretty much ran the Lb crew we're going to have next year. Babin and Peek were playing at the olb spots and were making plays everywhere, especially Peek (watching this game and others from preseason and the regular season, this guy could of been a starter last year). Peek was dominating the starting Dallas Oline and was constantly in the backfield, he also made plays in coverage, watching that game he was EVERYWHERE and seems like one of those high motor guys everyone always wants and put pressure on the qb on almost all his blitzes. I'm telling yall right now by the end of next season this league is going to know Peek on a first name bases. Also Babin doesn't get enough credit for the season he had last year. For a converted DE from a small school he had a wonderful year and is a excellent run stopper and provides excellent speed on the other side, our sacks our going to go through the roof this year. On the line we have R. Smith who was getter better and better as the year went on in his transition from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and is going to be even better with another year under his belt in this system. T. Johnson was respected by many as the best DT in the draft last year and his strengths are said to be a devestating run stuffer and makes most of his plays in the backfield. Also the more I think about it he was the perfect pick, not only is he exactly what this team needed but his selection put some sereious fire under the butts of payne and walker. Our starting Dlineman haven't had pressure since they arrived in houston and Gary seems he's grown to comfortable now he has to look over his shoulder and thats very good. As for the secondary I didn't like the release of Glen and wanted him to stay here for one more year just for his leadership qualities, but I like solidifying his replacement. People don't realize that Buchanon had to play behind one of the worst dlines in the league and that put great pressure on Oaklands secondary. With Buchanon comming to houston and playing under his old coach and behind the constant pressure we are going to be able to supply with Peek on the field and with the improvement of Babin. We could have a big playmaking defense. What I mean by that is a defense that not only can keep you off the scoreboard but put points on it. I feel we will be fine on defense. On offense it all comes down to the Oline, if they can improve, which they should we should be fine. I feel one of our biggest strengths next year will be our rushing game, think about it, DD, V. Mor. Hollings, (I know people are dissapointed with him, but like I said I've been watching some of these preseason games and he looked like he was on his way to a excellent year, I wouldn't count him out yet as a contributor in our running game) and Wells, we are stacked, solid, and very deep at that position. We really don't have many glairing holes, yes it would be great to have a #2 reciever that could command attention and a all purpose TE, but its not like we don't have servicable players in those positions. We should be on the brink of a playoff birth leading up to the last week of the season.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-09-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Umm, I just went through the schedule and counted 13 wins! It's official. 3 years and four offseasons and I've now lost perspective and have entered the realm of the HOMER-FAN!

It was a good run while it lasted. SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2005   #14
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

DaleMurphy you are a mess. I was rolling on your post.

As i try to remain RATIONALE in all of this let's just remember one thing. We did get YOUNGER. Which means also inexperienced. I think in the longer term picture we have establish more CORE players to build around with a Buck coming over from DA RAIDERS.

I think we may have to take a few steps back b/c of our youth and lack of playing together and maybe look not for THIS season to be the breakout one but for 2006. I'm perfectly ok with this because it shows we are trying to contend for some time and not just settle for one season.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #15
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill

As i try to remain RATIONALE in all of this let's just remember one thing. We did get YOUNGER. Which means also inexperienced. I think in the longer term picture we have establish more CORE players to build around with a Buck coming over from DA RAIDERS.

I think we may have to take a few steps back b/c of our youth and lack of playing together and maybe look not for THIS season to be the breakout one but for 2006. I'm perfectly ok with this because it shows we are trying to contend for some time and not just settle for one season.
I cannot say with a definite tone yet, but Jerome Mathis may make you change your mind by mid-season next year. This should be a fun and interesting year.

BTW if the Texans, could the person who made the statement please outline where all the wins and losses on the schedule? I just thought it would be interesting. (Just a little more debate material.)
Old 05-09-2005   #16
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill

While I agree that 2006 should be our TRUE breakout year after another offseason of spending, etc..... the inexperience you speak of shouldnt be nearly as bad as last year starting as many rookies as we did.

We did get younger.... but no rookie will be starting on D next year... which is a real plus IMO.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #17
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
We did get younger.... but no rookie will be starting on D next year... which is a real plus IMO.

Agreed!! Just look at our DB's for this year. We have Daunte who should be a pro bowler. PB who should also be very good. And Faggins who has done nothing but play great every time he has been given a chance. We are going to be fast and this is the first year that Capers will have his own guys playing in his system. It is going to be fun to watch.
Old 05-09-2005   #18
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
WE ARE WINNING THE SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR
I am going to start planning our trip to Detroit. Should we fly or drive? Where should we stay? How early can we make a reservation? This is great!!! What time does the stadium open on Superbowl Sunday?
Old 05-09-2005   #19
wiley2002
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
WE ARE WINNING THE SUPERBOWL THIS YEAR
Who's we? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? The defense needs some time to gel.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #20
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley2002
Who's we? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? The defense needs some time to gel.
We would be me and my family.
What to you mean by time to gel. They are professionals that are coached by some of the best coachs in all of the NFL you will see this is our year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read