Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2012   #41
le14
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 le14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Texans UFA visits (leavers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
Also, look at it as if you're a team in need of a RT.

1. Are you in need of Winston specifically?
No, because there are other UFA RTs out there and the draft is next month.

2. Would you like Winston?
Yes, maybe.

3. Do you like Winston enough to spend a draft pick plus his high salary to get him?
Maybe not, see the answer to #1.

4. So, if you're another team, why spend a draft pick to get him?
You know free agency is coming up, and if the Texans are shopping Winston, there is a chance they may be cutting him soon for salary cap reasons. If they aren't looking to get rid of him for cap reasons, you have to start asking yourself "why is it the Texans suddenly don't want him anymore? injury? other issues we don't know about?" That would make me wait and see if I could get him as an UFA if he hits the market. I might even get him for less than his Texans contract, and I don't lose a draft pick. If I don't get him, who cares? He doesn't play an elite position where he is a "have to have" kind of guy. Also, see the answer to #1.

So, that could have been what happened.
Good points. I felt as though it your another team his salary isn't a big deal since he got signed for about the price he was under contract anyways, but instead of bidding for his services in FA and losing, you could trade a 4-6th round pick for him and guaranteed that he is on your squad. A 4-6th round pick isn't much to shore up your RT position, but I can see why I team wouldn't do it and why a team would. Just random thoughts and if I was the Texans, I woud have taken anything I could have gotten for him (i'm pretty sure they tried though but they liked Winston enough to cut him and let him choose).
le14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #42
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gent-visitors/

Dreessen to the Bungles
Old 03-19-2012   #43
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
looks like we draft another TE

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #44
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Don't we always do that anyway?

seriously though, they haven't signed him yet.
right now it's just a visit.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #45
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks for the correction...had to delete a tweet

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #46
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I won't mind at all if it's in the 4th or later. We need a WR, NT, Olineman (or two) before we get a TE though.
Old 03-20-2012   #47
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Free agent TE Joel Dreessen is scheduled to visit the Titans on Tuesday. Analysis: Dreessen visited the Saints on Sunday and the Bengals on Monday. The Titans visit will be his third of the free agency period. Though Tennessee has yet to release Daniel Graham, it likely would if Dreessen was added behind Jared Cook. The Titans have Craig Stevens as their primary blocking tight end.

PER KFFL.COM

Looks like Dressen is enjoying being wanted. Seriously, this is might be that guy's last chance to get a contract above veteran minimum, so finding the right place and $$ for him is essential at this point.
Old 03-20-2012   #48
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen is scheduled to visit the Titans on Tuesday. Analysis: Dreessen visited the Saints on Sunday and the Bengals on Monday. The Titans visit will be his third of the free agency period. Though Tennessee has yet to release Daniel Graham, it likely would if Dreessen was added behind Jared Cook. The Titans have Craig Stevens as their primary blocking tight end.

PER KFFL.COM

Looks like Dressen is enjoying being wanted. Seriously, this is might be that guy's last chance to get a contract above veteran minimum, so finding the right place and $$ for him is essential at this point.
Cue rant about players being all about the money.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #49
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Honestly, we probably can't offer him more than 2 million in 2012. I would imagine he signs somewhere for about 3 million a year average. He's certainly a nice #2 TE to have on any team as he can block and catch well. If nothing else, we will get a comp pick for him next year, though I would prefer to have him back.
Old 03-20-2012   #50
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I won't mind at all if it's in the 4th or later. We need a WR, NT, Olineman (or two) before we get a TE though.
Add Kicker and RB to that list if we lose Rackers and Ward. Anyone heard anything on Rackers and Ward yet? Not too worried about Ward, but I'd hate to have to go out and start looking for another Kicker in FA or the Draft. Still not to sure about the Punting situation either.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #51
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Add Kicker and RB to that list if we lose Rackers and Ward. Anyone heard anything on Rackers and Ward yet? Not too worried about Ward, but I'd hate to have to go out and start looking for another Kicker in FA or the Draft. Still not to sure about the Punting situation either.
I think the Texans will draft a kicker in the 5/6/7th round. RB as well, but Foster and Tate are plenty for us right now. They did so well sharing the load last year that Ward wasn't even a factor. We should be fine filling the RB #3 position with an UDFA or a scrapheap free agent.
Old 03-20-2012   #52
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the Texans will draft a kicker in the 5/6/7th round. RB as well, but Foster and Tate are plenty for us right now. They did so well sharing the load last year that Ward wasn't even a factor. We should be fine filling the RB #3 position with an UDFA or a scrapheap free agent.
Any chance of bringing back Chris Ogbonnaya to be the third-string running back? It seemed like we let him get away too fast and the Browns snagged him up. Then again he's probably good enough to either start or be getting his share of carries on the Browns.
Old 03-20-2012   #53
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Any chance of bringing back Chris Ogbonnaya to be the third-string running back? It seemed like we let him get away too fast and the Browns snagged him up. Then again he's probably good enough to either start or be getting his share of carries on the Browns.
He's under contract with Cleveland. He was their starting RB towards the end of the season due to Hardesty being out with a strained calf and Peyton Hillis being out due to menstrual cramps.
Old 03-20-2012   #54
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ward is a scrap heap free agent.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #55
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I thought it was a requirement that everyone on our team has played TE in their HS or college career??

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26 Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen, who has visited the Saints and Bengals, will now meet with the Titans.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #57
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Nah. Unless he says trash about us when he leaves, like Mario did.

Notice we don't hear Jason Allen, as he heads to the Bengals, making tweets that contain little jabs at Houston. Nor from Brisiel. Nor from Winston.

Just Mario. He's talented, but you can see he's insecure and unable to believe in himself 100%...which is why he has to trash talk the Texans...to show everyone that he IS good enough and he IS worth the money.

Even if Dreessen goes to the Titans, good luck to him (as long as it's not against us). At this point, I think Bud wants Dreessen strictly to learn more about our offense and our tendencies. That's how they roll...always have and always will.
Old 03-22-2012   #58
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Free agent TE Joel Dreessen in Denver today meeting with the Broncos. He's already met with the Saints, Bengals, and Titans.

Dude is touring the dang country. I guess chances of him signing with us are slim?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012   #59
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Free agent TE Joel Dreessen in Denver today meeting with the Broncos. He's already met with the Saints, Bengals, and Titans.

Dude is touring the dang country. I guess chances of him signing with us are slim?
Wow, him on the Broncos would make him worthy of being drafted in Fantasy Football. His ceiling would be high with Manning throwing to him. Especially considering that the current Broncos TEs suck.
Old 03-22-2012   #60
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
‏ Dude is touring the dang country. I guess chances of him signing with us are slim?
If he's visited that many teams without signing, maybe he's not getting a better offer than he did/would here. If he doesn't sign with Denver, I think it's a sign he might be back

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read