Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2012   #21
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans UFA visits (leavers)

Yes i wanna see Casey at Tight End along with OD

if we really want a FB u can get one in Undrafted players or wait in F/a til some of the gems cant find a team and there price comes back down to earth

so yes losing Dressen is not that big of a deal IMO
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #22
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

RT @GeoffHobsonCin: #Bengals confirm visits of DL Jamaal Anderson, CB Jason Allen, CB Tracy Porter

If he gets a deal, it would help give us a buffer when signing low-end FAs in hopes of getting a comp pick for Mario.
Old 03-17-2012   #23
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2725 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/...55539445751809

Jason Allen signs with the Bengals per Schefter. Kareem full time at CB2 now? uhhh =/
Naiirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #24
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-right-tackle/

Winston to the Chiefs.
Old 03-17-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Good for him. Really. As much as I didn't care for Eric Winston the football player, I liked him as a person & enjoyed The Right Stuff.
Old 03-17-2012   #26
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Shoring up a longtime trouble spot in Kansas City, Winston will slot in as Barry Richardson’s replacement at right tackle. Richardson, a free agent, has been a turnstile in pass protection over the past two seasons."

That's a little ironic, since the knock against Winston here was his pass pro.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #27
le14
Rookie

Rep Power: 18 le14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I haven't seen a release on the terms of his contract but it was reported they wanted to make him the highest paid RT in the NFL ( Matt Miller writes via Twitter, “Word has it Chiefs are prepared to make Winston the highest paid RT in the game. Serious talks today.”).

My question is, how come the Texans just didn't try to trade him for a pick or something else instead of just cutting. I would think he would at least bring in a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd (But I wouldn't mind Brandon Flowers from the Chiefs LOL)?
le14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2012   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario
Winston,
Vickers,
Brisiel,
Allen...

NFL writers are calling this, the Texodus.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #29
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
We need receiving threats, especially if we lose Dreessen. So I'm onboard with your ideas.

Casey is a guy who can line up on the end of the line, at TE, and become either a blocking TE (essentially a FB split out wide) or he can release off the LOS and pose extremely severe mismatches for LBs in the NFL. His hands are incredible, and AJ says he thinks he has the best hands on the team. That says something.

If they stick him at FB, I think it's a mistake.
FBs must take a great deal of direct violent trauma. They need to be built tank-like to take it. Casey is not. In their violent blocking contacts, they are expected to push their opponents to the side, the exact motion that leads to pec strains/ruptures. If the Texans insist on Casey to take the role of a FB even part time as required by an H-back, you will see him watching many more games from the sideline .
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #30
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
FBs must take a great deal of direct violent trauma. They need to be built tank-like to take it. Casey is not. .
i beg to differ on james casey not being built like a tank..

hes almost peyton hillis like in regards to build, i still think casey could get stronger given the off-season to focus on the FB position. either way, still think he will be better utilized at TE and the texans will find a thumper somewhere late in the draft or in the UDFA pool.. i really hope dreesen signs elsewhere.. ready to let casey beast..
Old 03-17-2012   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
i beg to differ on james casey not being built like a tank..

hes almost peyton hillis like in regards to build, i still think casey could get stronger given the off-season to focus on the FB position. either way, still think he will be better utilized at TE and the texans will find a thumper somewhere late in the draft or in the UDFA pool.. i really hope dreesen signs elsewhere.. ready to let casey beast..
Hillis all through college was 6"1" and 240 pounds. All of a sudden once he got into the NFL he grew to 6'2" and by all sources between 250 and 255 pounds. Casey at 6'3" now shrunk from his Rice height of 6'4" and expectedly increased from his college 235 pound frame to 243 pounds. Casey has a markedly different physique than Hillis.

J P Foschi is an example of one of the most effective FB/H-back/TE's. 6'3" 265 pounds.

CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

That's what a fullback looks like. 6-0 260lbs.

Built like a tank.
Old 03-18-2012   #33
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by le14 View Post
I haven't seen a release on the terms of his contract but it was reported they wanted to make him the highest paid RT in the NFL ( Matt Miller writes via Twitter, “Word has it Chiefs are prepared to make Winston the highest paid RT in the game. Serious talks today.”).

My question is, how come the Texans just didn't try to trade him for a pick or something else instead of just cutting. I would think he would at least bring in a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd (But I wouldn't mind Brandon Flowers from the Chiefs LOL)?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-four-years/

4 Years 22 million
Old 03-18-2012   #34
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Chiefs fans reaction to the signing. They think they really got something, with a 157 page thread.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Chiefs fans reaction to the signing. They think they really got something, with a 157 page thread.
WHo's their OC & QB coach?

If they can teach Cassel (or whoever their QB is) to get the ball out on time, they'll be ok. I've been down on Winston for a long time, I've said he's the worst player on our OL with the exception of 2011 Wade Smith.

But that's still something (we had the best OL (I think) over the last two seasons, bar none).

Winston has issues with speed rushers.. small speed rushers. Against most DEs, he holds his own as well as anyone. I knew Cameron Wake was going to give him problems. I pretty much knew every pass rusher that was going to be an issue for him. I have no doubt the coaches knew as well & they installed their game plan accordingly.

It won't be any different in KC. Winston is a cog, & a pretty decent cog.
Old 03-18-2012   #36
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Dreesen now going to meet with Bengals after leaving NOLA without a contract. https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NF...65345235091456
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #37
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

after we kicked de Bengals butt twice there like damm i need some of dem texans players LOL
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #38
le14
Rookie

Rep Power: 18 le14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famerle14 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

any thoughts?
le14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #39
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
any thoughts?
Maybe they did and no one wanted to trade. They had to get under the cap for the start of the league year and decided that he was the one.
Old 03-19-2012   #40
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe they did and no one wanted to trade. They had to get under the cap for the start of the league year and decided that he was the one.
Also, look at it as if you're a team in need of a RT.

1. Are you in need of Winston specifically?
No, because there are other UFA RTs out there and the draft is next month.

2. Would you like Winston?
Yes, maybe.

3. Do you like Winston enough to spend a draft pick plus his high salary to get him?
Maybe not, see the answer to #1.

4. So, if you're another team, why spend a draft pick to get him?
You know free agency is coming up, and if the Texans are shopping Winston, there is a chance they may be cutting him soon for salary cap reasons. If they aren't looking to get rid of him for cap reasons, you have to start asking yourself "why is it the Texans suddenly don't want him anymore? injury? other issues we don't know about?" That would make me wait and see if I could get him as an UFA if he hits the market. I might even get him for less than his Texans contract, and I don't lose a draft pick. If I don't get him, who cares? He doesn't play an elite position where he is a "have to have" kind of guy. Also, see the answer to #1.

So, that could have been what happened.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read