Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2012   #1
Texanator
Rabid Brahma

Rep Power: 984 Texanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is F.A. going to tear us apart?

I've been patiently waiting and watching for us to do something good in this FA period. So far most of what I'm seeing is 3/5ths of our O-line get traded down the road. We can't just sit on our hands while our team dissolves before our eyes.
I sure hope Bob Mc. and Co. have some master plan, because so far they are starting to make me a bit nervous.

You mess with the Bull, you get the horn!

Last edited by Texanator; 03-14-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling error
Texanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #2
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is F.A. going to tear us apart?

Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26

Jeff Sperbeck, agent for Mike Brisiel, says Mike will visit with the Raiders tomorrow.

Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26

Jeff Sperbeck, agent for TE Joel Dreessen, says Joel has visit set up with Saints for this weekend.
Old 03-14-2012   #3
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 35494 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

uncle bob and ricky are just trolling the texanstalk. can't believe you guys can't see that.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #4
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty sure we're waiting on Myers because he wants a monster deal that we won't give him. Probably waiting for his demands to go down.

Waiting on Mario to do his visit thing, but I don't think the FO expects a realistic shot at signing him with the numbers Buffalo will throw at him. We can't match that.

Waiting on Brisiel to get offers from other teams otherwise we can offer him whatever we want. Same with Dreessen. They want to test their market value so they can bring us the figures.

Don't expect us to sign any of our other UFA's. We definitely will stay out of the FA market this year because 1) we don't have a ton of cap and 2) we spent quite a bit last year in the market.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #5
Texanator
Rabid Brahma

Rep Power: 984 Texanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not trolling for anything, I'm stating a simple fact. When are we going to make some great moves? I'm waiting!

Old 03-14-2012   #6
Texanator
Rabid Brahma

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Pretty sure we're waiting on Myers because he wants a monster deal that we won't give him. Probably waiting for his demands to go down.

Waiting on Mario to do his visit thing, but I don't think the FO expects a realistic shot at signing him with the numbers Buffalo will throw at him. We can't match that.

Waiting on Brisiel to get offers from other teams otherwise we can offer him whatever we want. Same with Dreessen. They want to test their market value so they can bring us the figures.

Don't expect us to sign any of our other UFA's. We definitely will stay out of the FA market this year because 1) we don't have a ton of cap and 2) we spent quite a bit last year in the market.
That makes more sense then most of what I'm reading around the web.

Old 03-14-2012   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanator View Post
I'm not trolling for anything, I'm stating a simple fact. When are we going to make some great moves? I'm waiting!
What are you talking about? The Texans made lots of moves this week, did you not see the CUT thread?

Old 03-14-2012   #8
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our great moves were signing Joseph and Manning last year and drafting Watt, Reed, etc.

You live in the FA market and you will be dumping salary every year like the Raiders. Good teams build through the draft. Yea we have to let a few guys go whom we drafted (Mario, Winston) but that's so we can keep other good guys we drafted (Brown, Cushing, Barwin).

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/0...set-up-visits/

Mark Berman of FOX 26 KRIV-TV reports that guard Mike Brisiel and tight end Joel Dreessen, two of the Texans’ top free agents, have set up visits with other teams.
According to Berman, Brisiel will visit the Oakland Raiders on Thursday, while Dreessen is slated to visit the New Orleans Saints over the weekend.
It’s no surprise that Oakland is interested in Brisiel, who has been the Texans’ starting right guard since late in the 2007 season. Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Knapp was the Texans’ quarterbacks coach from 2010-11, and Raiders offensive line coach Frank Pollack was the Texans’ assistant O-line coach from 2007-11.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/0...set-up-visits/

Mark Berman of FOX 26 KRIV-TV reports that guard Mike Brisiel and tight end Joel Dreessen, two of the Texans’ top free agents, have set up visits with other teams.
According to Berman, Brisiel will visit the Oakland Raiders on Thursday, while Dreessen is slated to visit the New Orleans Saints over the weekend.
It’s no surprise that Oakland is interested in Brisiel, who has been the Texans’ starting right guard since late in the 2007 season. Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Knapp was the Texans’ quarterbacks coach from 2010-11, and Raiders offensive line coach Frank Pollack was the Texans’ assistant O-line coach from 2007-11.
I guess it's good that Dreessen is visiting the Saints. They already have a young stud at the position, so that might (should) limit how much they will offer for a backup.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #11
plee1024
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 plee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respectedplee1024 is a quality contributor and well respected

With limit money I think they said..go test the market and see if somebody will give you STUPID money. If they don't we still want you back... but if another team offer's the money we can't match then good luck with your new team. You can't make someone stay and you just can't make stupid deals just to make deals... forget this hometown discount BS..."money talks and..."
plee1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I guess it's good that Dreessen is visiting the Saints. They already have a young stud at the position, so that might (should) limit how much they will offer for a backup.
That and they have almost no money to spend after re-signing Colston and tagging Brees. Dresseen may be re-signed after all...
Old 03-14-2012   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I honestly don't know what's good and what's not good anymore, LOL!
I just want the season to start now!!!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #14
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee1024 View Post
With limit money I think they said..go test the market and see if somebody will give you STUPID money. If they don't we still want you back... but if another team offer's the money we can't match then good luck with your new team. You can't make someone stay and you just can't make stupid deals just to make deals... forget this hometown discount BS..."money talks and..."
I think this is totally 100% the case. They can't afford to pay their FA's stupid money this year. Even if they structure contracts for future years, how then do you re-sign Barwin, Brown and Schaub next year? Do you want to go through this EVERY YEAR?. Myers is 30, Brisiel is fragile, Winston looked good as a product of the system. Although I hate seeing the line busted up, overpaying for all three means you suffer elsewhere and in the future. Myers is a cornerstone of the OL, but he's apparently wanting a Mangold-type contract. At 30 years old, he's not worth that. Especially with Brown's contract coming up next year.

This sucks, but it is what it is, and we're stuck with it for the next 10 years. What the NFL has never considered was loyalty and reward for staying with the team that drafted you. At least the NBA has the sense to TRY to make that work.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been patiently waiting and watching for us to do something good in this FA period. So far most of what I'm seeing is 3/5ths of our O-line get traded down the road. We can't just sit on our hands while our team dissolves before our eyes.
I sure hope Bob Mc. and Co. have some master plan, because so far they are starting to make me a bit nervous.
It has been 2 days....glad you are patient, my friend. If they paid stupid money would you not be upset?
Old 03-14-2012   #16
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not worried. We will eventually pick up players for lower costs, plus add some other ones when other teams start cutting players in training camp. I'm not worried yet.

When the dust of high paying FA clears and the draft is over, we will get a sense of what we really need as far as the team goes.
santo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #17
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That makes more sense then most of what I'm reading around the web.
Dude, just reading your sig and couldn't help but wonder, does 'get the horn' have the same dialectic inference in Texas as it does in the UK?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #18
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

this is how our team is built we build through the draft

and sometimes we have to let go of our older draft picks and People we deem not that good

its all a game / predection on who we deem will be good and will stay good for years in terms of our players

so obvs the the texans feel we can upgrade out RT obvs they feel OD& garrett is better then dressen

thats why getting/picking good players is so important for us in the draft
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #19
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
this is how our team is built we build through the draft

and sometimes we have to let go of our older draft picks and People we deem not that good

its all a game / predection on who we deem will be good and will stay good for years in terms of our players

so obvs the the texans feel we can upgrade out RT obvs they feel OD& garrett is better then dressen

thats why getting/picking good players is so important for us in the draft
Don't quite agree with you here Norg. I think what they can afford comes into it more than outright who's better.

For instance, if they think Dreessen & OD is not as good as Garrett & OD then Dreessen wouldn't have been taking all the snaps last season.

Same probably goes for Winston, is it his ability alone or is it paying $5.5m for that ability? I'd suspect it was just too much to pay.

The Texans have come from a position of having poor talent only a few years ago yet haven't underspent the cap by any great amount, therefore you'd have to deduce that they've been overpaying mediocre players down the years. We're seeing the somewhat painful moving away from that right now, and some guys who've benefited from looking good on a poor team are going to bite the bullet because of it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Winston resign for half his price when FA settles down a little. If he gets a deal @$5.5m or more off anyone else I'll be surprised.

Apart from Mario these guys aren't top tier, and after Myers I doubt any of them are likely to walk into anyone elses training camp as defacto starter. You'd think therefore that the Texans will get an opportunity to match any offers they get made and thats when the hometown comes into our favor.

I would expect things to start getting worked out today and it may be after the weekend before we know where the Texans really stand.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #20
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Signed up the best RB in football = GREAT MOVE
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read