Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2012   #61
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why I think we have cap room (and how much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Ok smart guys tell me this, how many players are currently under contract? How much is our rookie pool going to be? How are we going to fill out our roster with quality players with the numbers you are coming up with and still have the money to extend next years important FA's now? Quit throwing a bunch of numbers around that just make everyones and answer these apparent easy questions.
My understanding is the rookie draft pool is apprx $7 million dollars.
Old 03-15-2012   #62
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1876 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My understanding is the rookie draft pool is apprx $7 million dollars.
Actually its 6m
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #63
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

A lot of cap space just got cleared with Mario feasting on wings now.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #64
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Actually its 6m
That sounds high to me. Last year's was $5.6M and we have much lower picks this year, meaning we should get a lower proportional share of the ~$159M* total pool for year one salaries.

*$159M was last year's total for the league, but since the cap was flat this shouldn't change much. It is tied to the percentage change in overall salary cap. The Colts only had $3.6M last year and they had the 22nd pick. I'm guessing $3.0M to $3.5M could be our number this year with the 26th pick.
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #65
darnbni99a
Veteran

Rep Power: 1442 darnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respecteddarnbni99a is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Ive never understood the "were up against the cap!" argument. If we are so damn close to the cap why even bother telling Mario and the world that we want him back? It just doesnt make any sense. We have cap space. We just dont want to be dumb with it.
agreed

time to change ur sig bro lol
darnbni99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #66
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We should have plenty of cap room now!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #67
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
How much? What's the number I wonder?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2012   #68
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If zero is your idea of a lot, then yes.
Old 03-15-2012   #69
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If zero is your idea of a lot, then yes.
You would have to be insane to think the Texans were not hold cap space in the hopes he would come back. Of course they were.
Old 03-15-2012   #70
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You would have to be insane to think the Texans were not hold cap space in the hopes he would come back. Of course they were.
Withholding spending is not the same as freeing up cap space. They still have the same amount of cap space as they did on Monday.
Old 03-15-2012   #71
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They still have the same amount of cap space as they did on Monday.
Because he was a FA and therefore didn't count against the cap?
Old 03-15-2012   #72
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
You REALLY think we're going to sign someone to the practice squad to the extent that they are of the top 51 paid players? The practice squad doesn't count against the cap.

Nate
I don't think I addressed this the other day. The top 51 only applies from the start of the league year until the first day of the regular season. Since we're trying to see what UFAs we can sign based on cap room, we need to use all players who will count as of the regular season. That means practice squad guys count, as do the 52nd and 53rd roster spots.

I used a somewhat high estimate for the PS guys assuming the team would save a little cap room in case someone goes down and they have to sign someone to the active roster. I used the league minimum amount of $390k for 0 yrs of service and applied it to all 8 spots under the assumption they will fill the whole PS.

PS guys make $5700/week including playoffs, which would be under $100k/guy in most cases. That leaves about $2M for signing UFAs or PS guys to the active roster during the season to replace an injured guy.

Nobody cares that we have room to sign some guys for preseason that will eventually be cut (which is the primary reason the top 51 rule is in there). They care about how much money we might have to keep our starters, important backups and sign anyone else who will be here during the season.

That's why I set it up the way I did.
Old 03-15-2012   #73
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
Withholding spending is not the same as freeing up cap space. They still have the same amount of cap space as they did on Monday.
You're playing semantics here. Whether they were actually spending it or budgeting for it, the FO was reserving money in the hopes Mario would come back. That is money they could have gone and spent to lock up the starting center and right guard.
Old 03-15-2012   #74
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Exactly, no more real cap room, but it could have freed up room they were holding back from the free agent market until they saw what happened.
Old 03-15-2012   #75
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Yeah, all the free agents came off the books on Monday, so there was no money tied up in any of them, Mario included. We probably had money set aside for Mario, but that didn't affect our cap space. It's like bidding on an auction, where you don't lose money for placing the bid, but you need to have the money if you win.

The guys we cut on the other hand may still be owed money in guarantees, signing bonus or whatever. Those portions stay on the books, but the rest gets removed when they are cut. That's what 'dead money' is.
Old 03-15-2012   #76
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Then what were they planning on Paying Mario with had he come back?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #77
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
That sounds high to me. Last year's was $5.6M and we have much lower picks this year, meaning we should get a lower proportional share of the ~$159M* total pool for year one salaries.

*$159M was last year's total for the league, but since the cap was flat this shouldn't change much. It is tied to the percentage change in overall salary cap. The Colts only had $3.6M last year and they had the 22nd pick. I'm guessing $3.0M to $3.5M could be our number this year with the 26th pick.
For 7 picks? I think you are way low but just me guessing.
Old 03-15-2012   #78
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Dayy-umm, so we're still behind the 8-ball. So Myers is highly unlikely to be resigned?
Old 03-15-2012   #79
Fico
Rookie

Rep Power: 1386 Fico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respectedFico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dayy-umm, so we're still behind the 8-ball. So Myers is highly unlikely to be resigned?
Did you read the thread? We have space.
Fico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #80
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
For 7 picks? I think you are way low but just me guessing.
Here's what happened in 2011. JJ had a $2.043M hit for 2011, but the total was still just $5.08M for the seven picks still on our active roster at the end of 2011 even with 40% going to JJ (pick 11). Brooks Reed was $673k, Harris $600k, Keo $473k, Carmichael $474k, Yates $421k and Newton 399k.

Maybe I should have said $4M-$5M to sign our picks. I need to double-check what counts against the rookie pool.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read