Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2012   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's to early to panic over the OL.

If Myers stays we resign Breisal and start Butler at RT. That's not a bad group.

If Myers stays and we loose Breisal then either move up in the draft and draft decastro or trade back and draft zeitler. I also would look to add another reasonably priced vet via FA like Jeramy Zuttah.

IF myers leaves and we resign Breisal and move him to C then either move up in the draft and draft decastro or trade back and draft zeitler. I also would look to add another reasonably priced vet via FA like Jeramy Zuttah.

At least who ever we bring in will have time to get aclamated with OTA's and a full camp and preseason.

If we loose both Myers and Breisal then its time to panic because we are F*#^ed!!
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #2
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: It's to early to panic over the OL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
If Myers stays we resign Breisal and start Butler at RT. That's not a bad group.

If Myers stays and we loose Breisal then either move up in the draft and draft decastro or trade back and draft zeitler. I also would look to add another reasonably priced vet via FA like Jeramy Zuttah.

IF myers leaves and we resign Breisal and move him to C then either move up in the draft and draft decastro or trade back and draft zeitler. I also would look to add another reasonably priced vet via FA like Jeramy Zuttah.

At least who ever we bring in will have time to get aclamated with OTA's and a full camp and preseason.

If we loose both Myers and Breisal then its time to panic because we are F*#^ed!!
Of course it's time to panic, we had one of the best OL in the game last year, and now we are going to mess with that? Really? When your starting and backup are the best 1-2 punch in the game, is it them or your OL. I'm going to go with OL.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not panicking but I bet Rick Smith is because the way this is going he's about ready to join Winston, Breisel, & Myers in free agency.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 115090 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If "IF" were a fifth, we's all be drunk!!!

In short, I'm not nearly as optimistic.
Old 03-14-2012   #5
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Can Brisiel make a successful switch to C? If he can then that might be a pretty good option for us. I really don't want to see us in a position where we feel like we have to take an O-line with our first round pick.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It is too early to panick. We need Myers in a big way but changes on the OL aren't the kiss of death that we (as Texans fans) grew up believing them to be. Sure, for the first five years we had no line and then watched Carr make what we did have look pretty sad but teams change out pieces of their OL every year all over the league and you never hear much about it except for the ones that blow up.

Most teams that draft well and steadily develop talent have pieces ready to plug in when they lose a guy. It's time to find out if the Texans are in fact one of those teams.

Did you think we were done last year when we went to the playoffs? We're we "finished"? Building a good team is great but it's kind of like owning an exotic car. Sure, it's impressive that you got one but what's really a sign of success is being able to afford to maintain it.
Old 03-14-2012   #7
KA4Texan
C27A

Rep Power: 5487 KA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a Texan, it's never to early to panic.

I just pray they know what they are doing.
Old 03-14-2012   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thinking back on how this line was put together, only Brown was a "first day" draft pick. Winston, as I'm sure you recall, was a 3rd rd pick in 06.

We got Myers from Denver for a 3rd (I think) to replace old man McKinney. Many hated him at first as took him two years to gel. But now some are panicking if we don't get him back.

We picked up Brisiel as an UDFA in 2006 (or '07) and groomed him behind Pitts and Weary before age and injuries to those two pushed him into the starting line up.

My point is, these O-line coaches have done a pretty good job bringing youngsters along and developing other teams' castoffs. I think they can do it again. Caldwell, Antoine Smith, Derek Newton, Andrew Gardner and whoever we draft are waiting in the wings. And who knows, we may be able to grab a cheap F/A (don't laugh, remember Brisiel was an UDFA) and teach him our system. Remember the guys (i.e., coaches) who put the 2011 O-line together are still around. They know what they're looking for.

Naaah... I'll wait until I see what we have come preseason time before I "panic".
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Thinking back on how this line was put together, only Brown was a "first day" draft pick. Winston, as I'm sure you recall, was a 3rd rd pick in 06.

We got Myers from Denver for a 3rd (I think) to replace old man McKinney. Many hated him at first as took him two years to gel. But now some are panicking if we don't get him back.

We picked up Brisiel as an UDFA in 2006 (or '07) and groomed him behind Pitts and Weary before age and injuries to those two pushed him into the starting line up.

My point is, these O-line coaches have done a pretty good job bringing youngsters along and developing other teams' castoffs. I think they can do it again. Caldwell, Antoine Smith, Derek Newton, Andrew Gardner and whoever we draft are waiting in the wings. And who knows, we may be able to grab a cheap F/A (don't laugh, remember Brisiel was an UDFA) and teach him our system. Remember the guys (i.e., coaches) who put the 2011 O-line together are still around. They know what they're looking for.

Naaah... I'll wait until I see what we have come preseason time before I "panic".
free agency doesn't start until all the high priced FAs are over-paid and then the smart teams can get some cheap overlooked players with comparable talents and skill sets. We don't need hard to find body-types with this system...its not like we need 340 pound Guards and 6'6 340 lb Tackles to run our system. Those guys with 'ideal' bodytypes are not needed here.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
free agency doesn't start until all the high priced FAs are over-paid and then the smart teams can get some cheap overlooked players with comparable talents and skill sets. We don't need hard to find body-types with this system...its not like we need 340 pound Guards and 6'6 340 lb Tackles to run our system. Those guys with 'ideal' bodytypes are not needed here.
What I'm wondering is if they even got enough cap space to get those guys.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #11
ainsworth
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respectedainsworth is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy crap Texans fans are starting to infuriate me. Let the FA period settle a bit before y'all start claiming the sky is falling. Wait till the end to judge, there is no sense in judging our free agency period on ONE ****ING DAY.
ainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #12
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I do not like dismantling something that worked well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. An o'line functions as a unit and continue to improve as a unit. When you shake up the pieces it usually does not translate into success.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #13
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Of course it's time to panic, we had one of the best OL in the game last year, and now we are going to mess with that? Really? When your starting and backup are the best 1-2 punch in the game, is it them or your OL. I'm going to go with OL.
meh, its the scheme, one of the best run blocking o-lines mostly due to the ZBS. but in pass protection both brisiel and winston left very much to be desired.. im almost certain that majority of the sacks this year came from the right side.. i wouldnt mind puttng rashad butler in at RT for pass protection...
Old 03-14-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
I do not like dismantling something that worked well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. An o'line functions as a unit and continue to improve as a unit. When you shake up the pieces it usually does not translate into success.
You seem to be focusing on only Oline, maybe SMith is trying to make entire roster better?
Old 03-14-2012   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm thinking Konz in first and or Blake in 3/4 could play both C and OG. I really enjoyed watching Phillip Blake in the Baylor offense.
Old 03-14-2012   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not worried about it until September, and then only if we see them failing to protect our QB and failing to open holes for Foster.

Until then, in Kubiak we trust...
Old 03-14-2012   #17
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19488 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
This. I think the reason people commented about how good our O-line is was not due to the individual players (any of which I think could be upgraded, on their own), or the scheme (though it works well for our offense), but the fact that we had a group that all knew each other well, started together for a long period of time, and stayed mostly healthy for a long period. So, even if we were to replace Myers, Brisiel, and Winston with players that were individually "better" than those they replaced (I don't think we'd be doing that), I think the OL as a whole might perform a lot worse.

I've never been a fan of Studdard, for instance, but his familiarity with the system might make me more open to keeping him (assuming he's cheap) than bringing in someone new and not that much better.

It's worried me how the Texans have kept what seems like a small number of OL players on the roster the last couple of years. I think they've had more on the PS, and if those players have used the last year or two to learn the offense, maybe the dropoff won't be so bad. I guess we'll find out...
keyser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm not worried about it until September, and then only if we see them failing to protect our QB and failing to open holes for Foster.

Until then, in WADEiak we trust...
Corrected for accuracy
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #19
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Until then, in Kubiak we trust...
Quote:
Quote:

Until then, in WADEiak we trust...
Quote:
Corrected for accuracy
Hey - WTF?
Signed,
Rick Smith
Old 03-14-2012   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

It doesn't matter what free agent we sign, who we draft, or who's the starter. The second someone goes down with an injury the picture changes anyway.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read