Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2012   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: i'm getting a little pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
the billion dollar question. not only have we allowed our under 30 studs to hit free agency, we've released (or "plan to") a handful of starters within an improving team. either the known cap info is FUBAR, or we're about to swing and miss towards a grand slam, or we went pathetically "all in" with joseph and manning last year.

kubiak catches hell for most of these choices (somewhat justified for picking smith), but unless we get a major surprise we're about to get a clear picture of why we can acquire talent but doing so is expensive and taking a very long time. if we're in a dump/rebuilding year, daniel snyder would laugh ... how do you screw up so many contracts of a team that tops out at 9-7 - when all are your own draft picks.
Why do you say contracts were screwed up? The guys wanted to see what is available on the market and refused to sign offered deals. Why is that on FO? Let's put responsibility where it belongs. You just don't overpay without it coming back to get you. Let's wait to see what happens in the free agency period.
Old 03-14-2012   #42
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Just reporting, not making a statement

https://twitter.com/#!/LanceZierlein
I'm not sure where LZ gets the 6.3 million. The Clayton article he quoted was from FEBRUARY 13, and at that time, Clayton claimed the Texans had 3.3 million in cap space. That was before expiring contracts, and cuts.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #43
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'm not sure where LZ gets the 6.3 million. The Clayton article he quoted was from FEBRUARY 13, and at that time, Clayton claimed the Texans had 3.3 million in cap space. That was before expiring contracts, and cuts.
Yeah I just posted that on the same link. Maybe it was freeing up some other cash since then. Again, I don't work these numbers, just reporting. Way off from Dale's 30 mil.
Old 03-14-2012   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Calm down, dude. It's day ONE...ONE of Free Agency...
Speaking of "one", or being number 1, I think we as Texans fans can finally revel in the fact the we will surely be #1 in 2012: Biggest losers in 2012 Free Agency -- Texans!!!

Comes with the territory, but I do think we robbed Peter to pay Paul last year ... now he's collecting.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #45
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Speaking of "one", or being number 1, I think we as Texans fans can finally revel in the fact the we will surely be #1 in 2012: Biggest losers in 2012 Free Agency -- Texans!!!

Comes with the territory, but I do think we robbed Peter to pay Paul last year ... now he's collecting.
Who "won" free agency last year? How did they do?

What Day 1 free agents did the Giants or the Pats sign last year?

I understand the concerns about the cap situation, but people need to chill about signing Day 1 FAs.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #46
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

With the cap situation coming out, its clear that the Texans wasted big opportunities between 2007-2010 seasons. The climax was last season, where we were a Fat Albert away from going to the Super Bowl. We can't keep our young studs together like we thought. Hopefully we have a great draft.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #47
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I definitely think there could have been some better cap management. The Cowboys and Skins got in trouble but they also locked some guys in that they aren't dealing with now. So from that standpoint I think there were some cap mismanagements.

It amazes me how the whole cap makes or breaks these FA year. Look at TB signing Jackson and Carl Nicks...top WR and OL.
Old 03-14-2012   #48
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Because that 3.3 million was including expiring contracts, but not including Fosters new deal and the recent cuts. I know it's hard to believe, but read about the other teams cap situations listed in that article and tell me they aren't taking expiring deals into account. These guys do this for a living and have connections around the NFL, I'm sure they have a much better idea of what the actual cap situation is than the average message board poster using Rotoworld.

As much as people would like to believe the Texans have 30+ million free, their actions certainly don't seem to indicate they have that kind of money. I don't understand how the hell they currently have 114 million in cap obligations this year, but it sounds about right given their recent actions. We just gotta hang on and hope for the best.
Old 03-14-2012   #49
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 43723 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

It's too early to be in panic/pissed or histeria mode yet IMO. And believe me I am the king of instant emotional response but even I am sitting back and just observing calmly right now.

The reality is we were effed cap wise. I knew MW was probably gonzo, and that in all honety there was a real shot at Myers leaving. This is gonna be the dudes last contract and he is highly wanted right now so like any player, he wants to test the market and will probably take the highest money he can get. Not really the Texans fault there if that is what he is determined to do since the Texans are cap strapped.

Now, IMO if we let Briesel get away and if Myers leaves in addition to Winston being released (no he was not phenominal but I will defend him before I make a clown of myself and defend KJ and that would be 3/5's of our OLine) then I start to excrete fecal matter into my pants.

Winston being released was an absolute shock BTW.

My only concern is I hate to see losing these guys if that is what happens yet players like KJ and Jacoby remain on the squad. I have no idea what JaJo and KJ's cap hits are but if we need money, these 2 need to be gonzo like yesterday to keep the other players.

Either way, too early to shlart the pants just yet.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #50
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65163 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak will not release Jacoby, no matter his cap relief. He's been Kubes WR project for a few years now and it would be a total shot to his ego if the kid doesn't "get it" at some point.

Coaches do stuff like this sometimes. They let their ego's control who stays and who goes and they think they're "the guy" who can fix a certain player.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Kubiak will not release Jacoby, no matter his cap relief. He's been Kubes WR project for a few years now and it would be a total shot to his ego if the kid doesn't "get it" at some point.

Coaches do stuff like this sometimes. They let their ego's control who stays and who goes and they think they're "the guy" who can fix a certain player.
This morning (March 14) Vandermeer said that coaches like JJ.
Old 03-14-2012   #52
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 43723 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure this will resurrect the "Fire Kubiak" threads soon.

Speaking of Kubiak, last night I was talking to my dad and we were discussing Kubes and free agency, next years outlook, etc. This made me start to think on what I expect and what I want done should those expectations not be met. I'm not sure yet as it relates to Kubiak but again, I;m sure the Fire him threads will start soon so I'll wait until then

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
Old 03-14-2012   #53
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
This morning (March 14) Vandermeer said that coaches like JJ.
Yeah, but that is like saying the sky is blue = obvious lol.

They have major hard on's for JaJo and an undying love....

Old 03-14-2012   #54
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

today has been no better, not ever the slightest rumor of re signing anyone, or talking to anyone. Did the texans leave town ???

I could use more fake rumors like the one about jacoby getting cut, that was better FAKE news than any real news i have heard all day.
Old 03-14-2012   #55
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i understand that, but explain winston. The guy was not that big of a hit on the cap. I know a lot of people didnt like him, but outside of us drafting a guy who in the hell is going to replace him.

UNLESS they want to get a guy who can protect the QBs blind side, hence Yates in a season or 2. i dunno.
I was under the impression that cutting Winston saved us around 5.5 million? Tell me if I'm wrong, but if that figure is right, he was a pretty significant cap hit. I definitely think the Texans were expecting some of our UFAs to accept the offers they threw out, but the players are choosing to test the FA waters before making any decisions.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #56
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 25876 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
today has been no better, not ever the slightest rumor of re signing anyone, or talking to anyone. Did the texans leave town ???

I could use more fake rumors like the one about jacoby getting cut, that was better FAKE news than any real news i have heard all day.
My assumption is that they have offers out to their own FA's they want to resign (Mario, Myers, Brisiel). They need to see how those shake out, mainly Mario, before anything else can be done. Mario is staying in Buffalo for a third day, so I'm guessing he's gone.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #57
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40369 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not getting a little pissed. I'm getting a lot pissed. They are F*ing up this offseason in epic porportions.

Old 03-16-2012   #58
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I'm not getting a little pissed. I'm getting a lot pissed. They are F*ing up this offseason in epic porportions.

Dude....
We're only, what, four days in... It took this long to sign Johnathan Joseph and D. Manning last year.

You aren't one of those guys who has to be the first to buy the new cellphone or iPad are you?
Old 03-16-2012   #59
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Dude....
We're only, what, four days in... It took this long to sign Johnathan Joseph and D. Manning last year.

You aren't one of those guys who has to be the first to buy the new cellphone or iPad are you?
Surely not.

Posted from brand new this morning Ipad 3
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #60
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

You know how the saying goes, better to be pissed off than pissed on...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read