Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2012   #21
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 89275 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: i'm getting a little pissed.

Well i'm going to sleep, and hopefully Rick smith will wake up tomorrow with his hang over from the still celebrating from the play-offs and so. "oh damn free agency ? What the hell........"

And then and only then i might be a little more content, but as of now this is the lowest i have felt since the middle of our 2-14 season.
Old 03-13-2012   #22
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

If Myers does leave I would pretty much rather him sign with any other team than the freaking Titans.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #23
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
If Myers does leave I would pretty much rather him sign with any other team than the freaking Titans.
Ehh, I'll enjoy watching Antonio eat his lunch on 3rd down. He's an excellent center for us but he's not going to excel with the Titans. Hello, Shelley Smith... Get ready for greatness!!

Meet our new Center or RG
Old 03-14-2012   #24
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this a couple of times already today but La Confora said around 1 pm that we were sitting at 650,000 under the salary cap. If he is correct, than we really don't have any other options but to let guys go. The fact that we are extremely quiet on a busy day makes me believe there is some truth to us being extremely cash strapped in cap space. It's the bed we made
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

edit

Last edited by Scooter; 03-14-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #26
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
I said this a couple of times already today but La Confora said around 1 pm that we were sitting at 650,000 under the salary cap. If he is correct, than we really don't have any other options but to let guys go. The fact that we are extremely quiet on a busy day makes me believe there is some truth to us being extremely cash strapped in cap space. It's the bed we made
He's wrong! I've crunched the numbers. There is no way that is correct. We are currently close to $30 million under the cap... Believe it!
Old 03-14-2012   #27
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in a wait and see mode. I don't necessarily like the cuts we've made so far, but I have no control over it either.
Old 03-14-2012   #28
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
He's wrong! I've crunched the numbers. There is no way that is correct. We are currently close to $30 million under the cap... Believe it!
honest question bud, how can there be so much of a swing between the numbers? i dont think either are exactly correct, but i believe your number to be much closer than la confora's regurgitation. all offseason folks worked on the known numbers and gave us a 5-10mil under the cap number (not counting the extra 1.6 from dallas/washington), which after cuts and changes and foster make your 30mil appear right on. are you and the general public missing a poison pill or something?
Old 03-14-2012   #29
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope your right but the Eric Winston cut doesn't make any sense if that's the case. What's the point of cutting him yesterday? Even if he doesn't deserve that contract, why not wait and hang on to him with so much uncertainty surrounding 2/5th of your O-line? If you end up reaching an agreement with Myers, then you can cut Winston if you truly need the extra cap space. Having 25 million or whatever already in cap space then extending it by cutting Winston seems to be overkill, makes more sense to cut as you sign. I have also seen a couple of sites that say we are on the hook for close to 8 million in dead money this year, don't know if that's accurate either but that's out there.

http://torotimes.com/2012/02/12/hous...oaches-part-1/

That site believes we were to have 25 million in cap space back in Feb. so maybe you are right, but the Winston cut seemed like a move to get under
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #30
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

lots of cuts will be made leading up to training camp. probably want to bring in some veterans that have lots of playoff experience to help our young team out
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #31
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
honest question bud, how can there be so much of a swing between the numbers? i dont think either are exactly correct, but i believe your number to be much closer than la confora's regurgitation. all offseason folks worked on the known numbers and gave us a 5-10mil under the cap number (not counting the extra 1.6 from dallas/washington), which after cuts and changes and foster make your 30mil appear right on. are you and the general public missing a poison pill or something?
I'm worried about a poison pill but I see no indications of one:

LaConfora is focused on 32 teams... I'm focused on one. If you didn't read the article, here's my theory substantiated by information and common sense:

2011 cap was about $120 million. We were right up against but not over it. Any cuts the Texan made before the 2011 season, the cap hits were distributed evenly between 2011 and 2012 or were all taken in 2011... There is no mechanism to cut a player before the 2011 season and push the entire cap penalty forward to the next season...

Looking at all the salary increases heading into 2012 (Cushing, Brown, Schaub, Ryans, and Foster's $8 million) the team would add abut $11 million to the cap.

Subtract Mario's $15 million to $18 million and further subtract the other 13 free agent contracts (Myers, Biscuit, Allen, Delhomme, etc...), I conservatively figure a $10 million cap subtractions. Beyond that, the Texans restructed AJ for a savings of at least $4 million and cut Winston, Vickers, and Leinart for a savings of at least $9 million... Once you add all the savings up ($34 million) and subtract the ($11 million) in additions... that's $23 million below the cap. From that, figure the $1.6 million gift from the Skins/Boys, the fact that Manning's deal apparently decreased for 2012, Cody's deal decreased, and Mario's deal was probably for more than $15 million.... What other conclusion can be drawn?
Old 03-14-2012   #32
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Well i'm going to sleep, and hopefully Rick smith will wake up tomorrow with his hang over from the still celebrating from the play-offs and so. "oh damn free agency ? What the hell........"

And then and only then i might be a little more content, but as of now this is the lowest i have felt since the middle of our 2-14 season.

Calm down, dude. It's day ONE...ONE of Free Agency. In fact, the period has only been open for TEN HOURS.

For the love of God, wait for everything to shake out before declaring that this is the lowest you've felt since 2006. That's a freakin' joke of a feeling.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #33
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
What other conclusion can be drawn?
the billion dollar question. not only have we allowed our under 30 studs to hit free agency, we've released (or "plan to") a handful of starters within an improving team. either the known cap info is FUBAR, or we're about to swing and miss towards a grand slam, or we went pathetically "all in" with joseph and manning last year.

Last edited by Scooter; 03-14-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #34
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's also remember the free agency decisions the team has to make next year. If I remember correctly, Arian is just the start of a series of resigning our younger guns. I hope these cuts yield a major signing this season, but the team could be swallowing the bitter pill now for decisions they have to make a year from now. Better to be proactive than be in desperation mode in a season.

Patiently, watching...
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #35
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
the billion dollar question. not only have we allowed our under 30 studs to hit free agency, we've released (or "plan to") a handful of starters within an improving team. either the known cap info is FUBAR, or we're about to swing and miss towards a grand slam, or we went pathetically "all in" with joseph and manning last year.

kubiak catches hell for most of these choices (somewhat justified for picking smith), but unless we get a major surprise we're about to get a clear picture of why we can acquire talent but doing so is expensive and taking a very long time. if we're in a dump/rebuilding year, daniel snyder would laugh ... how do you screw up so many contracts of a team that tops out at 9-7 - when all are your own draft picks.

It can't be. The numbers don't add up. The Texans are cutting the bait it wants to. Then, the media is freaking out and confusing numbers... For instance, it is quoting salary cap numbers that include Mario even though he is a free agent. There is no way the Texans are not at least $25 million under right now. Either McNair has decided to pocket some cash or the Texans are waiting out this market and are going to get some bargains in a few days... I think the latter.
Old 03-14-2012   #36
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
It can't be. The numbers don't add up. The Texans are cutting the bait it wants to. Then, the media is freaking out and confusing numbers... For instance, it is quoting salary cap numbers that include Mario even though he is a free agent. There is no way the Texans are not at least $25 million under right now. Either McNair has decided to pocket some cash or the Texans are waiting out this market and are going to get some bargains in a few days... I think the latter.
nothing on this planet could convince me that mcnair is sitting on any spare funds, not when so close to changing his last name to midas with a winner ... so where is this money going?

is this really what happens when adam schefter leaves the nfl network and everyone quotes blogs for their scoops? this ignorance is probably the discrepancy we're seeing.
Old 03-14-2012   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i understand that, but explain winston. The guy was not that big of a hit on the cap. I know a lot of people didnt like him, but outside of us drafting a guy who in the hell is going to replace him.

UNLESS they want to get a guy who can protect the QBs blind side, hence Yates in a season or 2. i dunno.

For Matt Leinart lefty option? However, there were enough times that Winston whiffed and almost got our right-handed QBs killed.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #38
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not getting pissed about it, but being left in the dark about our cap situation and ability or lack thereof to sign FA's or even retain our FA's is a little frustrating.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #39
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Calm down, dude. It's day ONE...ONE of Free Agency. In fact, the period has only been open for TEN HOURS.

For the love of God, wait for everything to shake out before declaring that this is the lowest you've felt since 2006. That's a freakin' joke of a feeling.
I think last years rapid fire free agency period spoiled us.
Old 03-14-2012   #40
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just reporting, not making a statement

https://twitter.com/#!/LanceZierlein

Quote:
LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein
According to John Clayton, Texans and Chargers didn't have enough cap space to carryover so that answers that question.
Quote:
Texans have 6.3 million in cap space, but remember that it also includes what they have to spend in rookie pool.
Quote:
I need someone from Texans to explain why they didn't carry over cap space from last year. It sure would help to have every little bit
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75...p-room-improve

Quote:
The Houston Texans and San Diego Chargers didn't have enough remaining room to push money over into 2012, so Houston has $3.3 million of cap space and San Diego has $9.2 million

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read