Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2012   #61
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Anybody else have concerns about our FO

Can't take this thread serious.

Same dude that said "the Texans will have lost ground"...then they signed J-Jo and Manning.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho....php?p=1735350

So...tl;dr.
Old 03-13-2012   #62
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Surely Smith couldn't be waiting for Mario could he???
That is exactly what I think is happening, considering that there are no reports about us talking to anyone else that is of any high value. Mario is the guy I think they're after if they're after anyone big at this point. If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #63
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 55012 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Steel... I'm convinced the Texans are currently about $30 million under the cap. I ran the numbers. There were over 500 free agents before this all started. Texans are lying in the weeds and are going to be one of the few teams left with a wad of cash.... I think Here's my numbers
Okay, I feel ya, but the very premise is dicey, i.e. "lying in the weeds" - and to what end?

That is to say, if having a fat wad of cash at the end of the off-season is your goal, and nothing to show for it, then one hand just filled up faster than the other, ya dig?

The Texans can lurk around and spy the other teams out with great aplomb, but let's say if you have that much cash and they really need a #2 WR, and then all of a sudden everyone is off the board then they have done nothing (expect for maybe the 2014 season).

It is true, however, that some of the better teams aren't really doing much in free agency right now. This could be attributed to multifarious reasons. But, I think the main point around here for me included is that not knowing sucks. And knowing is half the battle.

G.I. Joe!
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #64
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Can't take this thread serious.

Same dude that said "the Texans will have lost ground"...then they signed J-Jo and Manning.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho....php?p=1735350

So...tl;dr.
Read the whole post.

I am also the guy that posted this back in April 2011 before the season

04-19-2011 #131
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1248 The Mario Issue, Let's look at it in another way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simplified possible Mario outcomes next season:
1. Plays good when healthy but has some type of nagging injury as last two years
2. Does not adapt to 3-4.
3. Plays great in his contract year

In 1 we get probably nothing or do we get compensation because we do not sign as we did with Dunta. Last pick in draft. LOL

In 2 same as 1

In 3, do you want to give Mario say 20+ million for the next 5 years based on his last year of performance. Say the cap is 120 million. If you divide in half, half for offense and half for defense, do you really want to give Mario 33% of all money for defense? I sure don't. DO YOU?

In reality probably no player is worth that large of % of cap. Maybe Peyton or Brady etc QBs of that caliber may be the only position that warrants that and even then it is a crap shoot because of injury.

The above is why I think IF you can get a good deal in a trade this year you do it.

It is very likely that other teams view Mario in the same way and will give nothing for him this year. I don't know. But if there are teams out that that covet him I think it should seriously be considered by the Texans.

I don't think Aso is a good deal based on reasoning above.
Just my opinion.

I am not afraid to put my opinions out there for discussion.

Last edited by gafftop; 03-14-2012 at 12:11 AM.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #65
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
That is exactly what I think is happening, considering that there are no reports about us talking to anyone else that is of any high value. Mario is the guy I think they're after if they're after anyone big at this point. If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.
And what do you think of this strategy. We could really get burned. Do you think we left Myers hanging without an offer waiting for Mario? Seems I read in some post that they just talked to Myers' agent without really giving a concrete offer. Surely not.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #66
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If you're right, then you will be celebrated for years around here. To have nailed the situation would be epic for you.

I just don't know that you could have accounted for every single item that might affect the cap number, though. I mean, I'm not knocking your efforts. That was an enjoyable read you linked us to, but I am wondering if there is some math tucked away that the lay person, like yourself, might not know about.

If we have $30 mill available, why not go ahead and sign Chris Myers rather than run the risk that he shops elsewhere and signs elsewhere for what we could have offered him ourselves to begin with?

Are the Texans going to tempt fate to THAT degree? If it's their philosophy, it could backfire really badly, IMO.

All in all, thank you for your efforts to break it down like that!
GP,

Thanks. And, who knows if there is a huge roster bonus for one of these guys that I'm not aware. In the end, though, a number of things strike me.

1. If the Texans had to purge like this, why didn't the public relations department prepare everyone for it?

2. Why didn't the Texans do something different with Foster if they were going to be hamstrung to this degree?

3. Why does McNair sound so smug?

4. Why are they still talking about re-signing their guys and Rick Smith has said he may do something in free agency?

5. Why not sign the cheap guys that have played for your system if you know you will be so strapped: Bulman, Dobbins, Brisiel, etc...?

Something has to be going on beyond what we are privy to.
Old 03-14-2012   #67
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18754 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Giants won the Super Bowl this year without the help of a bunch of over priced free agents. There isn't a spot on the team that can't be filled with a good draft. I'm sure we'll see a couple of complimentary pieces, but why throw a bunch of money around when you don't need to. How's it worked for Washington over the past decade?

Speaking of which...how can they afford all these receivers when they just got hit with a pretty hefty cap fine? Don't they have other needs to address? I'd rather spend $12 million a year on Jackson and then grab a couple of cheap guys than to grab 3 2nd-3rd tier receivers.

When it's all said and done we will be happy our front office doesn't panic.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2012   #68
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391709 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Other than Brady, none of that stuff was luck. You can sell that stuff to some newb fan to the NFL all you want Cak, but to say that the Pats got lucky to get Welker and Moss is complete BS.
You missed the point of that post. The luck with Welker was in the fact Miami didn't understand how to utilize him so traded him away. If Miami appreciated how to use him they never would have traded him away. Yeah that was lucky for the Patriots. And yeah what you get from Moss from week to week, team to team is always luck. Nobody can predict WTF the guy is going to do.

Quote:
But go ahead and spin it that way to make it seem like free agency is such a crap shoot when we're dealing with players we've actually seen for years instead of draft picks from players on a combine.
Don't know where the combine comment comes from. The idea "we've actually seen for years" comes into a discussion about a player like Welker. In four years he had only started three games for Miami. NOBODY including you thought he was a big time free agent who was going to blow up as he has.

Quote:
And if you watched those playoffs carefully, Belicheck was anything but a strategist last season in playoffs. His decisions were anything but great. Hell, his strategy in the SB in the 4th quarter was one of the dumbest strategies I've ever seen. His decisions in the Ravens game almost cost their team that game as well. I talked about it quite a bit at the time. BB has one of the best QB's ever if not the best QB ever, and Brady's been carrying that team the last two seasons big time.
And thank you for proving my point. The Patriots are incredibly lucky Brady has turned out to be far more than they or the rest of the league ever thought he would be.
Old 03-14-2012   #69
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

they talk about resigning our Guyz the thing is

guyz like DUNTA and Mario is our Guyz we drafted them LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #70
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Well. So far there are no reports that Meyers has his Mangold money. Bad representation from his agent IMO.
When it comes down to it... Myers isn't anywhere near as good as Mangold. We have gone from two years ago to him being the weak point of attack at center to a pro-bowler. I think that's more indicative of a team that knows he's not going to be stout at the point of attack and knows he works GREAT in space. If another team pays him crazy money and runs a man scheme they are going to get hosed bad.

I love Myers for this system and what they ask him to do. I hope he realizes that in the end, he's not fit for a lot of other schemes that are going to maximize what he does best.

Far as Brisiel goes. He's by no means a Hutchinson type guard. He's not going to solidify a team's run game the way he did in Seattle and Minnesota. I think he's likely seen as a nice stop gap guard. He's not elite, but again, nice fit for what he's asked to do here. He can get paid else where but, is he going to enjoy the same success? Well, that's a gamble IMO.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #71
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yes......... and No!!!

First off, the Texans did they're FA grocery shopping last year.... And, Oh BTW did pretty ****ing well!!! Now, we're paying the piper, "so to speak"!

That said, I had no idea that Rick Smith could be responsible for (potentially) losing 60% of our offensive line (Winston, Meyers and Briesel), Mario Williams, Lawrence Vickers, Dreessen and other lesser players...

Thoughts and prayers to Andre Johnson that re-structured his deal to make room AND the above is what we get??? Are you kidding me?

I'm not saying that we'll be 2-14, but 9-7 is on the upside...

A regression from this past season, if you will.
I see where you're coming from. But I'm going to let this all play out before I make a judgement. I could see Myers being re-signed (if he's not Briesel will be) If Butler can stay healthy he can more than adequately replace Winston. They probably will sign a Salaam type swing OT in FA.

So all they really need is to draft 1 interior OG/OC and the OL should be good to go. Or Calwell can start playing up to his draft status. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #72
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
they're probably waiting to see if mario &/or meyers are going to give them a chance to match thier offers or not. No sense in cutting guys & upsetting players if you aren't guaranteed to get said players back.

i think if mario/meyers come back & say "this is what they offered me, can you match" you might see the FO start cutting guys that we all think should be dropped left & right....within reason of course.
THIS is exactly what I believe is going on. Myers, Mario, Briesel, et. al. are probably lining up interviews and fielding offers from other teams. The Texans are holding what cap space they have available for that very time when those guys come back with the "here's what they offered me, can you match? question.

I haven't checked everywhere, but so far, none of our guys has actually signed anywhere else.

If they do (sign elsewhere), then we'll start looking for replacements. But until they do, Uncle Bob is keeping a pile of cash on the table waiting for them.

I don't know if any of you heard him on 610 radio yesterday but he pretty much said, they made offers to all their free agents. They all wanted to test the market first.

Short of holding guns to their heads (which I think is illegal - or at least frowned upon - in Texas) I don't know what else could be done.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #73
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If you're right, then you will be celebrated for years around here. To have nailed the situation would be epic for you.

I just don't know that you could have accounted for every single item that might affect the cap number, though. I mean, I'm not knocking your efforts. That was an enjoyable read you linked us to, but I am wondering if there is some math tucked away that the lay person, like yourself, might not know about.

If we have $30 mill available, why not go ahead and sign Chris Myers rather than run the risk that he shops elsewhere and signs elsewhere for what we could have offered him ourselves to begin with?

Are the Texans going to tempt fate to THAT degree? If it's their philosophy, it could backfire really badly, IMO.

All in all, thank you for your efforts to break it down like that!
Maybe we made a "reasonable" offer to Myers and he was ready to take it. But his agent said, "let's leave this on the table and take a week to see what we can get elsewhere". They (Myers & agent) KNOW they have a home here in Houston. So why not see if they can do better...?? Same with Briesel and Dreessen. In fact, Dreessen has the extra incentive of seeing if he can become someone's #1 TE and get paid like one.

I think "our guys" are shopping themselves around to see if they can significantly beat the offer that the Texans put on the table. And unless you want the Texans' front office to grossly overpay someone, that's what free agency brings.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #74
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow!!! Lot's of panic in the streets of Houston!!
I'm with the hide and watch crowd at the end of next season. I have absolutely no problem with them cutting Winston or Vickers. I am surprised by both, but not really dismayed. I've thought Winston was overrated for a couple of years and Foster/Tate did just fine with Vickers on the sideline.
I want to see Jacoby out of here before it's all said and done.
IMO, the FO is doing a good job of getting rid of people that need to go, salary/production wise. I think Ryans will be handled a little more delicately than Winston, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut at this stage.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #75
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

We will see what happens, but the best draft and FA signings we have had as an organization was last year, and anyone who doesn't think that was Wade, more Wade, and all Wade is mistaken. Rick Smith is a tool and a token until he proves otherwise.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read