Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2012   #21
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anybody else have concerns about our FO

We have to wait and see how things shake out, but right now it looks like Smith went all in with a pair of twos and is about to bust.

We could end up losing Myers, Brisiel and Winston in one offseason. That would be one of the most hopelessly incompetent FO moves in NFL history.

All of this when they gave Foster a massive contract when they didn't have to. Nobody was going to pay him $8.5 million a year and give the Texans a 1st round pick. For the difference between the top RFA tender and what they gave Foster in a cash strapped year they could have kept Foster, Winston, Brisiel and change.

You now have one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL and your starting O-line either leaving or being shown the door. Who is he supposed to run behind? Unbelievably stupid.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #22
D1DAVE
Football=life

Rep Power: 92 D1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
they said we won the division, Rebuild time
Way I see it we own our division. (for the time being). If we need to draft and keep the talent coming, now might be it. We certainly have some great stuff going on right now. Much as I hate the Hoodie the Pats have made an art out of cheap talent.
D1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #23
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
We have to wait and see how things shake out, but right now it looks like Smith went all in with a pair of twos and is about to bust.

We could end up losing Myers, Brisiel and Winston in one offseason. That would be one of the most hopelessly incompetent FO moves in NFL history.

All of this when they gave Foster a massive contract when they didn't have to. Nobody was going to pay him $8.5 million a year and give the Texans a 1st round pick. For the difference between the top RFA tender and what they gave Foster in a cash strapped year they could have kept Foster, Winston, Brisiel and change.

You now have one of the highest paid RBs in the NFL and your starting O-line either leaving or being shown the door. Who is he supposed to run behind? Unbelievably stupid.

We will probably keep Myers as he is only negotiating with us and the Titanics and I don't think they run a ZBS. We also should be able to sign Brisiel
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #24
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Anybody else have concerns about our FO
Yes......... and No!!!

First off, the Texans did they're FA grocery shopping last year.... And, Oh BTW did pretty ****ing well!!! Now, we're paying the piper, "so to speak"!

That said, I had no idea that Rick Smith could be responsible for (potentially) losing 60% of our offensive line (Winston, Meyers and Briesel), Mario Williams, Lawrence Vickers, Dreessen and other lesser players...

Thoughts and prayers to Andre Johnson that re-structured his deal to make room AND the above is what we get??? Are you kidding me?

I'm not saying that we'll be 2-14, but 9-7 is on the upside...

A regression from this past season, if you will.
Old 03-13-2012   #25
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just aggravated that we did not even sign Brisiel before the 3pm deadline. I think that we let all of our UFA hit the market (Foster RFA). You would think that we could have signed at least one of our UFA before the 3pm deadline.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #26
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I mean it's like....pretty much the very beginning of the offseason right?

I can't wait for football to start either but come on.........
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am willing to wait and see how we end the off season. I remember the angst last off season as we demanded free agents and then boom got two very important ones. We are right where we should be considering our history. Important parts such as Myers, Briesel, Williams, Dreesen, etc are now up for renewal. We were unable to draft replacements as we had so many holes to fill. We just came off a good year despite catastrophic injuries that would have wrecked many teams & should have driven us to our knees. Just a few short weeks ago all were ecstatic how strong and yes deep in some positions we were. I mean we lose Leinert intentionally due only to how Yates stepped up. We may lose Dreesen but OD looked good and Casey and Graham should keep us going forward. If we lose Mario, Reed and Barwin should start; let's not panic over sophomore jinxes until we have a reason to. Schaub apparently is on track based on all we know.

We enterred off season wanting to replace #2 WR, get another OG, a back up NT and a back up center. What has changed? Butler will replace Winston and we will probably draft an OT at some point. A combo of OG/Center such as Phillip Blake from Baylor or OT/OG like Brandon Washington could satisfy two spots with one pick.Remember concern we all had when Brown was suspended and Butler did well? He should be even better at RT. He also is suppose to be healthy.

Another excellent draft should accomplish that.We started a rookie DE (Watt) a rookie OLB (Reed) and occasionally a rookie in Tate (missed first year due to injury). If Mario signs elsewhere we should be able to sign one and probably two free agents, ours or others.
Old 03-13-2012   #28
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yes......... and No!!!

First off, the Texans did they're FA grocery shopping last year.... And, Oh BTW did pretty ****ing well!!! Now, we're paying the piper, "so to speak"!

That said, I had no idea that Rick Smith could be responsible for (potentially) losing 60% of our offensive line (Winston, Meyers and Briesel), Mario Williams, Lawrence Vickers, Dreessen and other lesser players...

Thoughts and prayers to Andre Johnson that re-structured his deal to make room AND the above is what we get??? Are you kidding me?

I'm not saying that we'll be 2-14, but 9-7 is on the upside...

A regression from this past season, if you will.

I know its early but I am really feeling down about the state of our team. We lose all these players and we are only 600,000 under cap? Talk about a let down.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #29
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I'm just aggravated that we did not even sign Brisiel before the 3pm deadline. I think that we let all of our UFA hit the market (Foster RFA). You would think that we could have signed at least one of our UFA before the 3pm deadline.
Uh...those guys are ALL going to test the free agency waters. We lucked out that Foster played nicely and let us sign him instead of testing RFA waters.

Outside of that, every single UFA with the exception of a few are wisely going to see what they can get. They're no longer under contract...this is like a huge job convention and everyone is storming around the convention center floor trying to get hired (and for more money).

We'll be fine. A lot of our guys will re-sign with us because other teams have their UFAs that THEY will want to re-sign to their own teams. At the end of the day, the most talented free agents might change teams...but your Dominiq Barber and Jason Allen type players??? They're not going elsewhere for bigger money, they'll be back IF we want them back at all.

This is like the peril of stashing a guy on the Practice Squad. Yeah, he might get claimed off waivers before he reaches our PS. Yeah, some other team might sign him off our PS. But the reality of the situation is that teams have a lot invested in these UFAs, and most of them will relish sticking with their old team and being comfortable that they're (a) wanted by their original team, and (b) familiar with the system and ready to go to work ASAP without the growing pains of having to learn new terminology and maybe being stuck on a bad team too. Teams have Practice Squads and rarely do teams whisk another team's guys away...each team has their own free agents right now that they want to keep and truth be told...the players want to stay too.

That's my solace. That's my happy place: Rick Smith made the cuts to set us up to retain the majority of our guys who are UFAs, and if Myers gets stoopid cash from another team...then oh well, that's cash we can spend elsewhere now. Next man up!
Old 03-13-2012   #30
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 16564 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Have concerns as in currently? Or did you mean still?
Old 03-13-2012   #31
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
I know its early but I am really feeling down about the state of our team. We lose all these players and we are only 600,000 under cap? Talk about a let down.
Unless we have $20M+ of dead money, I find $600k very, very hard to believe based on my research. Reliable dead money figures are the only major thing where I haven't located pretty solid figures. We should have something like $25M before deducting dead money. That includes Andre's restructure and the Winston, Leinart and Vickers cuts. They can use that for Myers, Briesel, other UFAs, new guys, etc.
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
even if they said no? Exactly how do you sign someone who wants to see what others will offer and cannot do that until free agency opens. If you are saying just write a check, that is what gets teams in cap hell. This is Myers, Briesel and Mario's last contract and they should try to get all they can. Fans are good at throwing around "it's just business". Well it's business for the players also.

We just need to keep building our team depth without stupid moves and we will have a dynasty. I think some of us (not saying you) just assumed our guys would jump at the chance to remain a Texan.
Old 03-13-2012   #33
toxictrix
Rookie

Rep Power: 61 toxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respectedtoxictrix is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
Unless we have $20M+ of dead money, I find $600k very, very hard to believe based on my research. Reliable dead money figures are the only major thing where I haven't located pretty solid figures. We should have something like $25M before deducting dead money. That includes Andre's restructure and the Winston, Leinart and Vickers cuts.
That figure was posted on twitter and was said to be before the Monday/Tuesday cuts.
toxictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #34
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
srrono, read the post below.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I mean it's like....pretty much the very beginning of the offseason right?

I can't wait for football to start either but come on.........
Anxiousness gets you nowhere. A lot of this stuff is out of our hands. Hell, a lot of it is out of Bob McNair and Rick Smith's hands too. No way we were EVER going to be able to dole out the cash to Mario like Buffalo is going to do.

It does piss me off that small-market NFL teams like the Bills are only alive today because of revenue sharing, and there they are paying Mario a huge pile of cash. THAT is depressing. I mean, the Bills get Mario??? That's just bizarre.

I'm starting to warm up to Jerry Jones' attitude towards the Bills and the Jaguars and other small-market teams like them. Eff 'em. You either swim or you sink. And then they (the Bills) can STILL get Mario Williams! LOL. Amazing.
Old 03-13-2012   #35
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxictrix View Post
That figure was posted on twitter and was said to be before the Monday/Tuesday cuts.
I think it could be up to $25.8M pre-dead money, to be more precise, based on a cap of $120.6M and $94.8M in current-roster cap hits. I believe the $1.6M coming from the Cowboys/Redskins would then be added to that.

This includes all cap hits - base salary (paragraph 5), signing bonus amortization, etc.
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #36
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Unless we have $20M+ of dead money, I find $600k very, very hard to believe based on my research. Reliable dead money figures are the only major thing where I haven't located pretty solid figures. We should have something like $25M before deducting dead money. That includes Andre's restructure and the Winston, Leinart and Vickers cuts. They can use that for Myers, Briesel, other UFAs, new guys, etc.
On the NFL Network around 1 pm today La Confora echoed that we were currently sitting at 650,000 under the cap.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

What a shocker! All the TOP free agents are being signed first and foremost. Who would have thunk it?!?!

Every team is going to dump most of its cash onto the top names on the list...then they'll use what's leftover to sign the second tier guys.

I think Mario decides tonight or tomorrow. I think Manning decides tomorrow or within this week at the latest--He might take longer than others, to see the lay of the land before deciding on a team.

NFLN just ran the audio of Bob McNair talking about Peyton, the segment from 610 radio this morning. From what Bob said...I mean, it doesn't sound like we're opposed to signing him to our team. Bob said very nice things but he never came right out and said we wouldn't sign him. He was coy, in a way.
Old 03-13-2012   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Exactly. Winston $4.2m, Leinert $3m base and Vickers + Foster 2011 should equal Foster. AJ's $5.2 m has not been spent yet. Nor has Mario's $18-20m (depending whom you believe.) Does not mean Texans will spend it or ever give the true figures on cap. I'm pretty good at adding and subtraction and what we know ain't adding up to no money to spend. Let's see how it turns out.
Old 03-13-2012   #39
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly yes.

I am not panicking but close to it.

So far they have not re-signed Mario or Myers, not cut Jacoby, and have let Vickers and Winston walk so yes a TERRIBLE start IMO.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #40
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77717 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Honestly yes.

I am not panicking but close to it.

So far they have not re-signed Mario or Myers, not cut Jacoby, and have let Vickers and Winston walk so yes a TERRIBLE start IMO.
A terrible start to the first 6 hours of FA to be sure. The have tons of time to re-sign guys. It's the cutting of players that has me curious.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read