Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2012   #21
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hey Chris Olsen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How was Foster luck? Team researched and selected him over 31 other teams. They did not flip a coin.
Really, in what round was Foster "selected"?
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #22
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Really, in what round was Foster "selected"?
Don't be obtuse. Obviously he wasn't selected in any round. He was selected as an undrafted free agent. The Texans did their due diligence and selected him to sign, was Badboy's point.
Old 03-14-2012   #23
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 64539 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Really? So we can overpay Haynesworth? So we can not make the playoffs in seven years while spending mad money?

I think I'll pass on Washington's mad money scientist...
In fairness I see his point about wanting the Redskins cap guy. Chris Olsen for the Texans and whomever runs the cap in WAS does not select the players. They simply have to make it work for what the FO wants.

So, if that guy is more a mad money sceintist than Olsen then I'd take him. He is not the one who overpaid for Haynesworth....but he found the money for the FO to do it.

I'm assuming you know this so I may be missing your point?

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #24
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
The League has to be real careful there. There was no cap in 2010 although the NFL is acting like there was. I think the Skins and the Cowboy have a real gripe with the League and should explore legal action.
I don't think they can do anything. The league got collusion protection from the NFLPA when brokering the penalties (that's why it was added to the other team's caps.)
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #25
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Don't be obtuse. Obviously he wasn't selected in any round. He was selected as an undrafted free agent. The Texans did their due diligence and selected him to sign, was Badboy's point.
He was signed as an undrafted FA which means no guaranteed money and no risk. Just a practice squad body and see if something comes out of it. Rick gets credit for that?
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #26
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
In fairness I see his point about wanting the Redskins cap guy. Chris Olsen for the Texans and whomever runs the cap in WAS does not select the players. They simply have to make it work for what the FO wants.

So, if that guy is more a mad money sceintist than Olsen then I'd take him. He is not the one who overpaid for Haynesworth....but he found the money for the FO to do it.

I'm assuming you know this so I may be missing your point?
I got what his point was, and understand it isn't the cap guy's decisions, i was just making two points with one post:

A.) Obviously having that badass cap guy hasn't helped the Redskins make the playoffs in seven years..

B.) The Cap guy doesn't spend the money or make the decisions, he just helps in crunching the numbers...

I seriousky doubt the "cap guy" gets things wrong by millions... Pretty sure they're on it, they provide the numbers and everything else is left up to the GM to decide...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #27
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 11150 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams joining the Buffalo Bills is looking more and more likely.

His fiancee joined him in Buffalo Wednesday, and he’s not flying her up to show her a place he doesn’t want to play or live.

Paul Peck of WIVB-TV in Buffalo talked to Williams at the airport and initially thought the defensive end was leaving. Peck approached Williams and in a drive-by interview learned that he was merely picking up the future Mrs.

If and when Williams signs with the Bills, the Texans may become more active. They've set aside the money they offered the outside linebacker/defensive end in case he changes course and decides to accept.

Posted in multiple places due to being relevant to multiple threads..

If he doesn't, those dollars will come free and we can expect them to try to retain their free-agent center, Chris Myers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth
Old 03-14-2012   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=9

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #30
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The roster size and salary cap dictate that a team is going to have find either street free agents or Undrafted free agents to complete the roster and potentially develpo into more than just roster filer. Most of these guys don't workout, but teams attempt to get guys who either fit the system, have some history of college production and/or core athletic ability. They are not just picking random guys for the hell of it.

Every good team in the league has at leaast one street/UDFA who is an important starter in their line-up. Super Bowl example: Victor Cruz.
Old 03-14-2012   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Huh? Duane Brown was his pick, Tate was his pick (don't pick and choose who picked who when you don't really know), Cushing his pick etc... The guy isn't a failure at getting talent on this team... I don't think he's the greatest GM in the world (Okoye, MAYBE Jackson but it's still early), but he's for sure not horrible and has overseen the process of the Texans loading this team with great talent...
Just to set the record straight. D.Brown was an Alex Gibbs pick and 3/4ths of the MB whined about how big a reach D.Brown was late in the 1st rd.

Last yrs draft was all Wade.

I believe Ricks role is gangsta contract negotiatior.

Not talent evaluator. Gary and the offensive staff do the talent evaluating for the offensive side of the ball. (See D.Brown and Alex Smith) Wade and the defensive staff do the same for the defense. Bush and staff did this before Wade. (This explains why the defense has been historically bad)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #32
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Just to set the record straight. D.Brown was an Alex Gibbs pick and 3/4ths of the MB whined about how big a reach D.Brown was late in the 1st rd.

Not talent evaluator. Gary and the offensive staff do the talent evaluating for the offensive side of the ball. (See D.Brown and Alex Smith) Wade and the defensive staff do the same for the defense. Bush and staff did this before Wade. (This explains why the defense has been historically bad)
Oh i understand that, which is why I said he has "overseen" the loading of talent...

Though i don't think he's a great GM (yet at least, who knows), he for sure isn't horrible... People like to bash him for the poor choices of talent this team has made on his watch, but no credit for the good choices which i think greatly outweigh the poor ones...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #33
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

All that is very true. But it was Rick Smith who negotiated with Baltimore to trade down since they wanted Flacco. It was also Rick Smith who fielded calls while we were at that 26th spot and he declined trading down further because they were afraid they'd miss out on Duane Brown (Gibbs' pick).

So because of Smith, we were able to get the "Coach's Guy" but at MUCH better value. And we got Slaton out of the deal. Funny looking back at how many people bitched and complained over Brown. Turned out to be great value and a great player.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #34
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

DonnyMost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
He was signed as an undrafted FA which means no guaranteed money and no risk. Just a practice squad body and see if something comes out of it. Rick gets credit for that?
Rick offered Arian more UDFA money than was being offered by the Saints, which led Arian to sign here. Yes, Rick bumped up the salary when he could have persuaded Bob or Gary that they shouldn't overspend for a UDFA.

Rick is also the head honcho over the scouts, so "Yes, he's involved in talent evaluation." He has stated that the coaches give the scouts a list of what type of players they want and Rick and the scouts go about the business of finding those players and presenting then to the coaches.

Everybody is involved. It's a known fact (via Rick Smith's interview at the NFL Combine this year) that they ALL sit down and they all have discussions, and the coaches generally get the guys they want. But the GM is involved. He surely is.

His role is to make sure everyone is on the same page, coordinating everyone's efforts.
Old 03-16-2012   #36
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Rick offered Arian more UDFA money than was being offered by the Saints, which led Arian to sign here. Yes, Rick bumped up the salary when he could have persuaded Bob or Gary that they shouldn't overspend for a UDFA.
Not to leave out the fact they offered two years when no one else would. Now he's a Texan for a long time. Thank you Rick Smith. Good job.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #37
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

So IF we really are up against the cap....where is all the money sunk? It's not like we've handed out huge contracts like candy at Halloween.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #38
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Rick is also the head honcho over the scouts, so "Yes, he's involved in talent evaluation." He has stated that the coaches give the scouts a list of what type of players they want and Rick and the scouts go about the business of finding those players and presenting then to the coaches.

Everybody is involved. It's a known fact (via Rick Smith's interview at the NFL Combine this year) that they ALL sit down and they all have discussions, and the coaches generally get the guys they want. But the GM is involved. He surely is.

His role is to make sure everyone is on the same page, coordinating everyone's efforts.
Uh, everything I read was Arian took a look at all the rosters and thought Houston was his best chance to get on the field.
Old 03-16-2012   #39
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Uh, everything I read was Arian took a look at all the rosters and thought Houston was his best chance to get on the field.
I think that unfortunately says so much about our RBs at the time.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read