Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-15-2012   #161
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So... WTF is going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The 'Gurls are signing guys (this after being dinged $18 million against the cap this year and around 18 next year). The Tinnbreds, Broncos are pursuing Manning - hot and heavy. Chiefs signed Payton Hillis.

Meanwhile, we're doing nothing except losing or cutting players - and not even cutting the right players.

FML!
Off topic, but interesting that someone with your sig would keep using "FML" at the frequency you've been using it lately. Unless you're just doing that to show how ridiculously overused and unnecessary it is, then awesome! I really only thought teenaged girls did that....
Old 03-15-2012   #162
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Off topic, but interesting that someone with your sig would keep using "FML" at the frequency you've been using it lately. Unless you're just doing that to show how ridiculously overused and unnecessary it is, then awesome! I really only thought teenaged girls did that....
Oh jeez!! FML! Oh and if I ever caught my daughter typing FML! I'd wash her hands out with soap!

It's called being ironical with tongue planted firmly in cheek!!
Old 03-15-2012   #163
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Oh jeez!! FML! Oh and if I ever caught my daughter typing FML! I'd wash her hands out with soap!

It's called being ironical with tongue planted firmly in cheek!!
I dunno about you, but it's really hard for me to pronounce the letter F that way.
Old 03-15-2012   #164
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

More like middle finger planted firmly in...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #165
kingh99

The radio guys are butt hurt because the Texans won't compromise negotiating positions and run their mouths about personnel moves. The fact the Texans don't try and please these guys is a good thing.
Old 03-15-2012   #166
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Well Mario Williams getting his own Brinks truck certainly has killed this board.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #167
kingh99

My take: The Texans aren't capstrung as much as they are actively churning the roster to keep it from getting old. Churn takes confidence in the ability of the organization to coach up exciting young talent. I think the way the best FO's handle their business is to stockpile talent, handpick 4 or 5 veterans to help mold an otherwise young team and churn the rest. This is what the Patriots do. The worst teams take old guys off other teams who aren't respected and listened to. You get rid of those guys and hang on to the top character guys. It's a young man's game.

The Texans FO looks to me like they know what they're doing. The defense is set. I expect a reload of the offense through the draft and FA this year. Should be exciting to possibly see the next offensive star develop. Everyone talks about the Texans having all these TE's. None of their TE's are hosses. And you know they'll go for physical receivers over speedy ones because let's face it, Schaub probably can't take advantage of super speed. The Texans game is mid range middle of the field passing. They need guys who swats away safeties like flies. Guys like Gronkowski.
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2012   #168
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The problem, is that the "be patient" crowd were saying we're negotiating from strength, that once the Mario thing is done, we'll move on.

Mario's thing was done 6 hours ago & we've got our thumb up our rumps waiting for an undrafted Denver reject to make up his mind. All the while, the entire right side of our line is non-existent.

To me (& I know it's just me) it seems like our F.O. has a problem multi-tasking.
Old 03-15-2012   #169
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The problem, is that the "be patient" crowd were saying we're negotiating from strength, that once the Mario thing is done, we'll move on.

Mario's thing was done 6 hours ago & we've got our thumb up our rumps waiting for an undrafted Denver reject to make up his mind. All the while, the entire right side of our line is non-existent.

To me (& I know it's just me) it seems like our F.O. has a problem multi-tasking.
wow a whole six hours. I hope nobody commits suicide.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #170
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Well Mario Williams getting his own Brinks truck certainly has killed this board.
How so? I would have preferred he stayed, but that contract was way too big to match. Should be able to field an entire LBing core with that much money.

We'll survive. I like the Texans chances at the playoffs much more than the Bills. Great teams overachieve. The Texans will need to overachieve if they are to be great.
Old 03-15-2012   #171
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I dunno about you, but it's really hard for me to pronounce the letter F that way.
The really funny part is that I just tried to do it!!

Bill!
Old 03-15-2012   #172
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
My take: The Texans aren't capstrung as much as they are actively churning the roster to keep it from getting old. Churn takes confidence in the ability of the organization to coach up exciting young talent. I think the way the best FO's handle their business is to stockpile talent, handpick 4 or 5 veterans to help mold an otherwise young team and churn the rest. This is what the Patriots do. The worst teams take old guys off other teams who aren't respected and listened to. You get rid of those guys and hang on to the top character guys. It's a young man's game.

The Texans FO looks to me like they know what they're doing. The defense is set. I expect a reload of the offense through the draft and FA this year. Should be exciting to possibly see the next offensive star develop. Everyone talks about the Texans having all these TE's. None of their TE's are hosses. And you know they'll go for physical receivers over speedy ones because let's face it, Schaub probably can't take advantage of super speed. The Texans game is mid range middle of the field passing. They need guys who swats away safeties like flies. Guys like Gronkowski.
Speed not only gets a WR deep but once a pass is caught allows them to blast past defenders. Kendall Wright is perfect example. Schaub can pass 40 yds and allow Wright to do his thing, as did RG3.
Old 03-15-2012   #173
1bigfan13
Thundering Up

Rep Power: 0 1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected1bigfan13 is a quality contributor and well respected

A player who's still out there that I'd be interested in bringing in is Early Doucet.

He'd be a solid 3rd WR.

Add Kendall Wright in the draft and the WR position is set.
1bigfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #174
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

I had hoped they would take a look at Meachem, but...what worries me is that pancakes is talking about how well Butler will fill the hole left by Winston's departure. Smells like 12-16 sacks from the right tackle position.
pec0sb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #175
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigfan13 View Post
A player who's still out there that I'd be interested in bringing in is Early Doucet.

He'd be a solid 3rd WR.

Add Kendall Wright in the draft and the WR position is set.
I'd totally be good with this plan. Additionally I would cut J.J. (Wright becomes our new PR). Then keep the best between LeStar Jean and Jeff Maehl, and hold onto K.W. for another year (to help groom whichever youngster wins) then and we're five deep. Now we still don't have an A.J. replacement unit. We need a big, physical WR for that. But there's always next year to fill that need.
Old 03-16-2012   #176
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok , so here's exactly whats happening ....

The team is up against the cap and has several players next season who will become FA's that are integral parts of the team.

They are allowing their FA's to test the market and have likely offered them deals they consider fair. If they accept them , fine. If not , they cant overpay due to next seasons FA's.

Thats why they let MW walk , they made him an offer .... The Bills made him a better one alibet on a loser.

After the initial few days of FA and big signings , most teams wont have a whole lot to spend and there will be bargins to be had at that point in time. This is what the Texans and a few other well run teams are waiting for.

What have we heard out of NE , Pitt , Baltimore , NYG or Houston ..... Nothing but .... Nothing.

All while those teams with money to spend do so on the bigger names and generally overpay.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #177
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Ok , so here's exactly whats happening ....

The team is up against the cap and has several players next season who will become FA's that are integral parts of the team.

They are allowing their FA's to test the market and have likely offered them deals they consider fair. If they accept them , fine. If not , they cant overpay due to next seasons FA's.

Thats why they let MW walk , they made him an offer .... The Bills made him a better one alibet on a loser.

After the initial few days of FA and big signings , most teams wont have a whole lot to spend and there will be bargins to be had at that point in time. This is what the Texans and a few other well run teams are waiting for.

What have we heard out of NE , Pitt , Baltimore , NYG or Houston ..... Nothing but .... Nothing.

All while those teams with money to spend do so on the bigger names and generally overpay.
Good points. I think the Texans are fine cap-wise. They have chosen not to spend large salary bonuses to create space and cause a problem in a few years. They likely have somewhere between $15 and $25 million in cap space right now... which, when you factor in rookie pool and the shear number of players not under contract that will need to be signed or replaced, is not a lot of room but is enough room.

The Texans have waited for the 1st wave of free agency to pass and it has. There are still over 400 free agents (that is a huge number!) and, according to PFT, 62 of their top 100 free agents are still available. However, the money has largely dried up. It is now a buyers' market and the Texans have 100% of their resources. Fortunately, also, their key players that they would like to re-sign have not found buyers at their asking price. It is increasingly likely that some of Myers, Biscuit, Allen, Dreessen will return home. If not, the Texans will find excellent bargains to plug in and supplement the 2012, soon to be, AFC South champs.
Old 03-16-2012   #178
blanco2424
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 blanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respectedblanco2424 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Good points. I think the Texans are fine cap-wise. They have chosen not to spend large salary bonuses to create space and cause a problem in a few years. They likely have somewhere between $15 and $25 million in cap space right now... which, when you factor in rookie pool and the shear number of players not under contract that will need to be signed or replaced, is not a lot of room but is enough room.

The Texans have waited for the 1st wave of free agency to pass and it has. There are still over 400 free agents (that is a huge number!) and, according to PFT, 62 of their top 100 free agents are still available. However, the money has largely dried up. It is now a buyers' market and the Texans have 100% of their resources. Fortunately, also, their key players that they would like to re-sign have not found buyers at their asking price. It is increasingly likely that some of Myers, Biscuit, Allen, Dreessen will return home. If not, the Texans will find excellent bargains to plug in and supplement the 2012, soon to be, AFC South champs.
Spot on Dale and good post!
blanco2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #179
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

If they wait too long they're sitting on their thumbs, if they act now they're overreacting... People need to simmer down...

We learned last year that this FO has no problem waiting a little, then pulling the trigger at the right time... It's still been less than 72 hours since this whole mess started, it's early... Hell, took 'em four days last year to make a splash and there was a shorter time period to that FAgency...

The "are we there yet? are we there yet?" crowd needs to just sit in the back and settle down...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #180
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Good post. And Vince Young is still out there so there is hope.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read