Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2012   #41
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So... WTF is going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST
Cut - Jacoby Jones.
Cut - Demeco Ryans.
Cut - Dominic Barber
Cut - Derrick Ward.
Cut - Jason Allen.
Cut - Mister Alexander.
Cut - Bryant Johnson.
Cut - Jeff Garcia
Cut - Jake Dellhome

Sign - Neil Rackers
Sign - Matt Turk
Sign - Casey Studdard
Sign - Quentin Demps
Sign - Tim Dobbins
Sign - Tim Gilman
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMost View Post
Ryans and Jones are the only two guys you listed that are actually under contract.

Getting rid of Dressen, Ward, Allen, and Delhomme... While resigning Studdard, Turk and Rackers... Talk about failure.
Personally, I don't want to see Demeco go, and perhaps I got caught up in last night's furor, which could have prompted that. We're talking about a guy who could restructure.

Otherwise, my guess at what's going to happen stands.

Dreesen = Gone, because you have Graham and Casey on roster.

Ward = Gone, because you have Foster, Tate and Williams already on roster and can draft a late round RB on the cheap. But in all fairness we could come to terms with Ward for the vet minimum, I bet...or we can pay half that for Williams who will only get 40 carries all year and a new guy on the PS.

Allen & Barber = Gone, because you want some money to pick up the aforementioned FA-CB, a Carlos Rodgers, Terrell Thomas, Lardarius Webb or the like.

Dellhomme = Gone, because he's on the books for 3mil, and I don't see how he'll come back for the vet minimum, so you you draft a late round QB who will probably never see the field.

Studdard - You need that vet guard who knows the ZBS. That's at a premium right now. I don't want to go into the season with just Shelly Smith, Andrew Gardner and a few rooks.

Rackers - It don't have to be him, but we need a kicker.

Turk - You have to have a punter until Hartmann finishes his meth rehab.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #42
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Dreesen will probably get an offer we cant match to be a #1 somewhere else. We cant overpay for a number two TE, especially when we have Casey and Graham to take his place. Ward and Allen are gone. Delhomme retired. We do need to keep Rackers since there arent any better options out there right now. Turk will be until the suspension is lifted from Hartmann, and Studdard is depth if he is cheap, otherwise gone.
I think they find a way to keep Dreesen. I can see OD being a cap casualty next year when we work on re-signing Duane Brown, Connor Barwin and (possibly) Matt Schaub. Next year we'd have Dreesen, Casey and Graham as our top 3. Just throwing some thoughts out there.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #43
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
umm... wtf is going on with the server or is it just me that hasnt been able to get on for the last hr or 2?
I figured all the BS that's been spewed on this board the past 24 hrs just finally blew the damn thing up!!

It's taken Kubiak six years to build a team that is beginning to gel. A team with attitude, dedication, conviction, and belief that they are truly right on the verge of becoming a team with one goal in mind, to win the SB! Many articles have been written about our Oline, and how well they are playing as a unit. Winston received more votes then any RT in the NFL to go to the ProBowl, and has been a constant leader both for the team and the Community. He was willing to restructure his contract, but, the Texans didn't ask him, they just cut him. HOPEFULLY, he will be resigned, because I think the continued success of our Oline depends on it. There had to be other ways to salvage money than to cut Eric! I don't understand this move at all.

You want the team to develope a "I dont' give a ****" attitude? Let them cut Demeco Ryans, esp right now when we're on the verge of becoming an elite team. He has been the heart and soul of our D almost since the beginning, has restructured his contract before, has been a leader both on the field and off, and I don't know of ONE fan who does not want to see him stand on that stage and hold up that Lombardi with AJ!! I pray to God above that the possibility of cutting Meco is just a RUMOR, because I just can't imagine going to the SB without him! Yes, I'm a sentimental old fool!

As a diehard football fan, I simply HATE this time of year!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
....maybe Myers or someone else would already be signed or at the bare minimum we would have additional high draft choices.. The kicker is that Smithiak were under pressure to keep their jobs last year. Easy for me as an outsider to make the decision last year to get rid of Mario because my job was not on the line, I guess.
My opinion, is that the Texans were caught with their pants down. I think the plan all along was to retain our players, including Mario & Winston. However, their plan to do so was based on assumptions that did not pan out.

I'm sure they did not expect the salary cap to go down after the uncapped year. & it appears they were expecting it to increase in 2012, which it did not.
Old 03-13-2012   #45
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My opinion, is that the Texans were caught with their pants down. I think the plan all along was to retain our players, including Mario & Winston. However, their plan to do so was based on assumptions that did not pan out.

I'm sure they did not expect the salary cap to go down after the uncapped year. & it appears they were expecting it to increase in 2012, which it did not.

I'm not buying the idea that they got caught with their pants down.
I will assume that they had contingencies in place for an increased cap, and also for a cap at last year's level. They obviously had to wait to see what the official cap level was before pulling the trigger on one of their contingencies.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #46
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

from Twitter

Quote:
@LanceZierlein: According to source close to Texans, there appears to have been a shift in there FA strategy over the last 3-5 days. Something big coming?
Quote:
@LanceZierlein: I'm hearing the Texans are not close to a deal with Chris Myers or Mike Brisiel so I don't think Winston was cut in order to fit them in.
Quote:
@JeromeSolomon: Texans must be clearing space for something.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #47
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

https://twitter.com/#!/LanceZierlein

Quote:
LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein
I'm hearing the Texans are not close to a deal with Chris Myers or Mike Brisiel so I don't think Winston was cut in order to fit them in.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

According to source close to Texans, there appears to have been a shift in there FA strategy over the last 3-5 days. Something big coming?
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Beat me Michael
Old 03-13-2012   #48
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think something massive is about to go down. I think all of these cuts were to resign Mario and Myers, yes, but they appear to be going on a major cap clearing housecleaning.

They're planning something bigger.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #49
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 115090 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: So... WTF is going on?
Well, it's a little slow in the office. I'm trying to figure out what I want for lunch and even thinking ahead for dinner. I may just have a liquid dinner.
Old 03-13-2012   #50
skenney_11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
from Twitter
Didn't peyton become a free agent 3-5 days ago? This is becoming interesting
skenney_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #51
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. . .
Old 03-13-2012   #52
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. . .
We need to get these people to a hospital.

What is it?

Its a large building with doctors and patients, but that's not important right now.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #53
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Surely you don't mean that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #54
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

So much for not fixing what isn't broke.
Old 03-13-2012   #55
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Surely you don't mean that.
Of course I do.

And don't call me "Shirley".
Old 03-13-2012   #56
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UET-3...eature=related

This came to mind as soon as I read this thread title
Old 03-13-2012   #57
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith: There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your free agent day. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to manage an NFL team?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #58
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ just also stated he is having doubts about resigning Myers so he is asking would you be OK resigning Mario if you lose your C, RT and G? What about if it was for Wallace at WR or another big name?

Quote:
For the first time this offseason, I'm starting to have my doubts that the Texans will be able to bring Chris Myers back at center next year
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Old 03-13-2012   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I think something massive is about to go down. I think all of these cuts were to resign Mario and Myers, yes, but they appear to be going on a major cap clearing housecleaning.

They're planning something bigger.
What could it possibly be?

I'm not seeing anything out there that would justify possibly losing 3/5ths of your offensive line.

Peyton Manning???? psssshhh I love Manning, but I don't think so.

Some kind of trade? We're unloading all our capital.
Old 03-13-2012   #60
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Personally, I don't want to see Demeco go, and perhaps I got caught up in last night's furor, which could have prompted that. We're talking about a guy who could restructure.

Otherwise, my guess at what's going to happen stands.

Dreesen = Gone, because you have Graham and Casey on roster.

Ward = Gone, because you have Foster, Tate and Williams already on roster and can draft a late round RB on the cheap. But in all fairness we could come to terms with Ward for the vet minimum, I bet...or we can pay half that for Williams who will only get 40 carries all year and a new guy on the PS.

Allen & Barber = Gone, because you want some money to pick up the aforementioned FA-CB, a Carlos Rodgers, Terrell Thomas, Lardarius Webb or the like.

Dellhomme = Gone, because he's on the books for 3mil, and I don't see how he'll come back for the vet minimum, so you you draft a late round QB who will probably never see the field.

Studdard - You need that vet guard who knows the ZBS. That's at a premium right now. I don't want to go into the season with just Shelly Smith, Andrew Gardner and a few rooks.

Rackers - It don't have to be him, but we need a kicker.

Turk - You have to have a punter until Hartmann finishes his meth rehab.
1) Demeco cannot be restructured, there is no soft spot on his contract to push the money to. He has to take a pay cut.

2) Dreessen will not leave because of what we have behind him, he'll leave because of what other teams may offer him. Graham has shown nothing, unlike the replacements for Winston/Demeco. And we often utilize 2 TE sets, and Casey seems locked into FB now that Vickers is gone.

3) Williams who? Ward will leave because of what he gets in FA, not because of what we have waiting behind him, same with Dreessen. The Texans are a RBBC team if there ever was one, we need quality depth here.

4) Barber I agree with, but Allen will likely stick around. We do not have any money to land a free agent DB. Especially one that is significantly better than Allen.

5) Where do you get that Delhomme is "on the books" for anything? He's a UFA, is he not? What was the value of the 1 year deal he signed with us last year?

6) Studdard has been a lame duck for years now. He has never proven himself worthy as a starter, and he's spent more time on crutches than in cleats. If he comes cheap, I'll be ok with it. But being "familiar" with the ZBS will only get you so far.

7) Rackers was erratic and a major problem last year. I don't want him on the roster again.

8) Turk was one of the worst punters in the NFL the last few years and we signed him out of desperation. It will be a sad state of affairs if he is the best stop-gap we can come up with.
DonnyMost is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read