Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2012   #21
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So... WTF is going on?

1, 3 and a bit of 4 and 6?
Old 03-13-2012   #22
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2774 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Cut - Jacoby Jones.
Cut - Demeco Ryans.
Cut - Dominic Barber
Cut - Derrick Ward.
Cut - Jason Allen.
Cut - Mister Alexander.
Cut - Bryant Johnson.
Cut - Jeff Garcia
Cut - Jake Dellhome

Sign - Neil Rackers
Sign - Matt Turk
Sign - Casey Studdard
Sign - Quentin Demps
Sign - Tim Dobbins
Sign - Tim Gilman
Ryans and Jones are the only two guys you listed that are actually under contract.

Getting rid of Dressen, Ward, Allen, and Delhomme... While resigning Studdard, Turk and Rackers... Talk about failure.
DonnyMost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #23
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

lets face it in this day of age u only have 3 years to build your team and 5 year window to win a championship

sadly how long has kubs been here like 7 years and sadly our first six years !!!! under kubes we did nothing

Im sorry to say this guyz but IMO Maybe its time do drop all our so called "name" players .. and go into the dreaded "Rebuilding mode"

Expect another 3 year playoff drought starting .... NOW
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
It has been posted on here quite a bit this week that the cap is not increasing in one big bump next year. More of an incremental increase over the next few years.
Anything is considered big compared to this year. The scenario I put forth still makes sense even if it's not a "big" increase.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #25
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

If this is all about resigning Mario then either Smith is crazy or McNair is getting involved and Smith has no balls or is crazy also. My perspective on Mario is he cannot stay healthy the whole season. I really cannot comprehend that they would blow up a team that was maybe a healthy QB away from the SB last year just to sign someone that wasn't even on the field most of last year.

If this is because the cap is worse than anybody but the FO knew then Smith has already made a HUGE mistake by keeping Mario last year and not trading so that he could have used the money saved to tie up some of our players last year and on top of that have additional high draft choices this year.

I hope this has to do with clearing cap space to sign some of our players and strengthen areas of need.

Gotta go with the latter but whatever it is going to be a very interesting time.

Does everything, not just the games, get more exciting when your team gets good??? We would never know as Texans fans because this is the first year we have been relevent. If so I sure like being relevent I think.
gafftop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #26
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
My best guess, off the top of my head?

Clearing space for Meyers & Brisel - Moving Rashad Butler to RT.

Goodbye Joel Dreesen, Hello Garrett Graham (just looking at how much money they make, and since they've been grooming Graham). Don't know much about Graham's blocking, but his pass catching is superb.

Goodbye Mario Williams. There's simply too many people out there who will spend a fortune on him.

Cut - Jacoby Jones.
Cut - Demeco Ryans.
Cut - Dominic Barber
Cut - Derrick Ward.
Cut - Jason Allen.
Cut - Mister Alexander.
Cut - Bryant Johnson.
Cut - Jeff Garcia
Cut - Jake Dellhome

Sign - Neil Rackers
Sign - Matt Turk
Sign - Casey Studdard
Sign - Quentin Demps
Sign - Tim Dobbins
Sign - Tim Bulman

FA - WR
FA - CB

Draft - OLB/WR/OT/ILB/WR/RB/QB

Almost exactly what I'm thinking although I'd rather cut OD before I lose Dreesen for the price they both command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Anything is considered big compared to this year. The scenario I put forth still makes sense even if it's not a "big" increase.
8 Million is big?
Old 03-13-2012   #27
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
If this is because the cap is worse than anybody but the FO knew then Smith has already made a HUGE mistake by keeping Mario last year and not trading so that he could have used the money saved to tie up some of our players last year and on top of that have additional high draft choices this year.
I'm thinking if Mario wasn't willing to negotiate with the Texans last year, because he took no signing bonus and that final year was the payout for that, rising his average $ over the course of the contract to a respectable level for a number 1 pick, then why would he have been willing to do that for another team?

Maybe the reason they couldn't shop Mario was because Mario wasn't going to renegotiate his contract just when it was finally paying off for him and no team in their right mind is going to give up picks for a guy who's only contracted for one year.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2012   #28
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
8 Million is big?
If the cap is rising by an average of 7-9% over the course of the new deal, as announced, then that is around $8-11mill per year.

If it doesn't rise this year, then thats going to have to be put back to future years too, so I wouldn't be shocked to see as much as $12 mill extra next offseason.

Either that, or the players are gonna have to start wondering if they got dicked in the negotiations.
We will remember them.
Old 03-13-2012   #29
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I'm thinking if Mario wasn't willing to negotiate with the Texans last year, because he took no signing bonus and that final year was the payout for that, rising his average $ over the course of the contract to a respectable level for a number 1 pick, then why would he have been willing to do that for another team?

Maybe the reason they couldn't shop Mario was because Mario wasn't going to renegotiate his contract just when it was finally paying off for him and no team in their right mind is going to give up picks for a guy who's only contracted for one year.
You know I agree with you that Mario was unwilling to negotiate or the Texans were not sure they wanted to negotiate. Either way at that point the FO should have realized what the situation with Mario was going to be this year and done EVERYTHING to get rid of him for the GOOD of the team long term. (I posted this back in April of 2011 so this is not after the fact QB'ing.) Even if that meant paying some of his contract to trade him. If that had been done maybe Myers or someone else would already be signed or at the bare minimum we would have additional high draft choices.. The kicker is that Smithiak were under pressure to keep their jobs last year. Easy for me as an outsider to make the decision last year to get rid of Mario because my job was not on the line, I guess.
gafftop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Even if that meant paying some of his contract to trade him.
This is the NFL, not MLB. Teams can't pay a portion of a traded player's contract. It's been explained to you how difficult it would have been to trade Williams and his expiring contract. You don't seem to grasp that.
Old 03-13-2012   #31
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Something that MAY help us is if I am not mistaken a bunch of dead money drops off the CAP number for us this month. Just not sure what day it happens, but I think it is the 18th. That should open up some cap room also.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Im sorry to say this guyz but IMO Maybe its time do drop all our so called "name" players .. and go into the dreaded "Rebuilding mode"
Deeper breaths. You're not getting enough oxygen to your ... brain(?).
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #33
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

umm... wtf is going on with the server or is it just me that hasnt been able to get on for the last hr or 2?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #34
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
umm... wtf is going on with the server or is it just me that hasnt been able to get on for the last hr or 2?
Yeh I was struggling too, suddenly thought something HUGE had happened and even made the mistake of checking the official board for any news. Then my brain began to hurt a little on reading
We will remember them.
Old 03-13-2012   #35
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
Good, it wasn't just me. Thought my work banned me from this site for a second! haha

I don't know what's going on this offseason but I love it. I like how the Texans operate in their own CIA-clandestine way. It's like the girl that plays hard-to-get. I keep checking back to see what's happend.

All I know is it better be big. I really really believe we're going to re-sign Mario and Myers from all this. And the more time that goes on the more I want Peyton Manning (+ Wayne). I'd hate to get rid of Schaub b/c I really like him but we'd have to try and trade him.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Yeh I was struggling too, suddenly thought something HUGE had happened and even made the mistake of checking the official board for any news. Then my brain began to hurt a little on reading
I tried reading the main board too.

Couldn't stomach it. It was like reading a 3rd grade newsletter. Geez that place is a piece of work.
Old 03-13-2012   #37
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope this isn't an effort to free up cap space to sign Matt Flynn, Kyle Orton, or something off the wall

No way in hell does Mario deserve the contract he's going to get on the open market or from the Texans. An injury-prone player that just missed an entire season due to injury should be getting the biggest contract ever. Not a great fit for the 3-4 either.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #38
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMost View Post
Getting rid of Dressen, Ward, Allen, and Delhomme... While resigning Studdard, Turk and Rackers... Talk about failure.
Dreesen will probably get an offer we cant match to be a #1 somewhere else. We cant overpay for a number two TE, especially when we have Casey and Graham to take his place. Ward and Allen are gone. Delhomme retired. We do need to keep Rackers since there arent any better options out there right now. Turk will be until the suspension is lifted from Hartmann, and Studdard is depth if he is cheap, otherwise gone.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #39
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I really hope this isn't an effort to free up cap space to sign Matt Flynn, Kyle Orton, or something off the wall

No way in hell does Mario deserve the contract he's going to get on the open market or from the Texans. An injury-prone player that just missed an entire season due to injury should be getting the biggest contract ever. Not a great fit for the 3-4 either.
Kyle Orton? No way. Flynn, I don't know. He to me could be the next Schaub or Kolb. Couple of good games as back-ups but never turn into elite starters. As far as Mario not being a fit for the 3-4, if we did this to keep him ... then Wade wants him that bad, and if Wade says he is the real deal, he is.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #40
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
This is all to re-sign Mario Williams. Heard Rick Smith had good conversations with his agent last night. Let's see what happens today shall we? Mario wants to stay in Houston. I'll tell you that much.
Think this is a horrible move. Why would you clear out so many core guys to create space for a guy that was shown to not be as valuable last season with the emergence of other players. If it is to clear cap space for Myers, Brissel and some others, I get it. But for Mario..not a good move.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read