Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2012   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So... WTF is going on?

Winston, Leinart... maybe Jones and Demeco being cut. AJ has restructured. What is this all about? Literally none of our UFAs have been re-signed only ours before the start of free agency...

1. Clearing space for Mario, Myers, and company?
2. Clearing space for Peyton?
3. Cap situation was really, really bad?
4. Texans have big plans in free agency. Maybe a surprise like Brandon Carr or Vincent Jackson?
5. Just your average house cleaning for a championship-caliber team?
6. Something else?
Old 03-13-2012   #2
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So... WTF is going on?

Cap situation was that bad, and we have to sign Myers above all else.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #3
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is going to be interesting. I figured we were pretty much going to stand pat with the exception of either bringing back Myers and Brisiel or replacing them.

Now...?

I really don't think Manning is going to be here. It would go against (my perception) of every grain of Kubiak's character. He's loyal to his players (although they did just cut Winston and might be cutting Demeco). I think they'll give the ball to Schaub and finish what we were on pace to do last season.

I think Vincent Jackson will cost too much. I just can't see a team try and pay 3 All Pro caliber players at the WR/RB positions.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #4
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really, REALLY panicking about this.

I'm down with every move they've made as long as its for the right reasons, those guys all got paid above their production last year regardless of their 'leadership' or whatever.

Its the fact that these moves came in a hurry as soon as the cap was announced to be lower than anyone expected.

Its the fact that you see a lot of other teams cutting their respected vets weeks before FA starts to give them a head start on the rest of the market. Were these moves properly planned?

If they go out in FA and sign a big name or two off the back of this, I'll be happy. If it allows them to resign our important UFA's and bring in lower cost replacements I'll be happy.

If our Draft board just got completely re-shuffled based on need over BPA, I'm thinking Smithiak have 12 months max before they're boarding a plane to Washington. And that would be very bad for our season.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #5
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2779 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Resigning Myers and see you later Briesel and hello Carl Nicks!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. I'm afraid to wake up tomorrow and see who's still on the team. Tomorrow is going to be crazy
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Resigning Myers and see you later Briesel and hello Carl Nicks!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. I'm afraid to wake up tomorrow and see who's still on the team. Tomorrow is going to be crazy
at least with Myers, Brisiel, Allen, Mario, Dreessen we have the opportunity to get compensatory picks... Losing Winston, Leinart, Ryans would get us nothing but dead money and hurt feelings. Kinda sucks!
Old 03-13-2012   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i think they're clearing space for Meyers and Mario. everyone else is replaceable through the draft & FA imo & i think that's what they plan to do.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2012   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
i think they're clearing space for Meyers and Mario. everyone else is replaceable through the draft & FA imo & i think that's what they plan to do.
If so, cap situation was worse than I thought.
Old 03-13-2012   #9
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114716 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the cap situation was that bad and we also have to think about resigning guys like Brown, Cushing, and Barwin soon. I think we've cleared enough space to bring back Myers and maybe Dreessen and Brisiel.

For the guys hoping for a big FA move...don't hold your breath. We probably sign a few low-level vets and depth players, but no big fish. The draft will be crucial to filling out the holes in the roster.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i think if the cap was that bad, we would've saw these cuts sooner & maybe they just go ahead and franchise arian. Most people here knew that the cap wasn't going to be raised too much.....so its hard for me to believe that the texans FO didn't have a good idea of where it was likely to be.

As i said before i think they're setting up to go ahead and get Meyers and maybe mario...but more importantly, they're setting up for next year as well.

this is why i said or at least have been thinking that even if they let mario walk, we still likely would've been making some unexpected cuts and or letting some guys walk next year when dealing with Cush, Schaub and Barwin. It's better we go ahead & get out in front of this now & cut guys rather than wait until next year.
Old 03-13-2012   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If so, cap situation was worse than I thought.
Accurate cap numbers are so hard to find. If Spotrac is correct, the Texans have about 101m on the books for 2012 after cutting Winston and before signing any free agents. That's before you include over 12m in dead money. You would think that Mario would command atleast 12m. The Texans still have to sign a kicker; Niel Rackers made a little over 2m last season. Those numbers, if correct, show that we have to cut additional players in order to resign Myers and get Mario.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO these guys are your core players for the next 2-3 years .

Duane Brown
Chris Myers
Arian Foster
AJ
Cushing
JJ Watt
Conner Barwin
Jonathon Joseph
D. Manning
Antonio Smith
Glover Smith

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #13
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

This is all to re-sign Mario Williams. Heard Rick Smith had good conversations with his agent last night. Let's see what happens today shall we? Mario wants to stay in Houston. I'll tell you that much.
Old 03-13-2012   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
IMO these guys are your core players for the next 2-3 years .

Duane Brown
Chris Myers
Arian Foster
AJ
Cushing
JJ Watt
Conner Barwin
Jonathon Joseph
Mario
Glover Quinn
more like this....if schaub were younger, he'd probably be on this list too.
Old 03-13-2012   #15
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe they knew they were in some cap trouble but waited it out, until the other day a lot of people seemed the think the cap 'not moving much' would put it at $125-126m maybe, perhaps they had to wait and see exactly what the damage was.

None of the guys cut so far are irreplaceable, you could argue that losing Barwin if we keep hold of Mario wouldn't hurt too much, Brown, Myers and Cushing are all necessities, while they could view Mario as a necessity (although I'd lose him before all the parts around him).

I guess tomorrow will tell. Maybe they do go out and get Manning, its not as if he's used to stellar Oline play anyway. It would certainly be an exciting prospect although I'd have thought Schaub would be the first out the door if that is what they are planning.

Maybe tomorrow we'll see a bunch of these guys resign on more affordable deals, Winston's cost at $5.5 was too high, but his play wasn't exactly damaging.

Rick Smith had better have a plan in place is all I'm saying, he's managed to gain some credibility around he at last but lets not forget what the general consensus opinion on him was 12 months ago.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Put me down as thinking the team is clearing cap room to resign key(read NOT necessarily MW)FA's this year and extend key FA's for next year before they get to the FA market. With a big bump expected in cap $$ next season, this would be prudent. We could then be active in FA next season w/o worrying about our own so much.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #17
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Put me down as thinking the team is clearing cap room to resign key(read NOT necessarily MW)FA's this year and extend key FA's for next year before they get to the FA market. With a big bump expected in cap $$ next season, this would be prudent. We could then be active in FA next season w/o worrying about our own so much.

It has been posted on here quite a bit this week that the cap is not increasing in one big bump next year. More of an incremental increase over the next few years.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #18
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
This is all to re-sign Mario Williams. Heard Rick Smith had good conversations with his agent last night. Let's see what happens today shall we? Mario wants to stay in Houston. I'll tell you that much.
This is my guess.

Just my guess is all because I have no idea what's going on.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

No one knows whats going on ..... This from Titter .... errr twitter , Via the Crapical.

Quote:
JeromeSolomon -I could be wrong (yeah right), but the Texans didn't have to cut @ericwinston to sign Chris Myers. Something else has to be up.

Expected Leinart to be cut.

Expected Foster to get a new deal.

Expect J.Jones to get cut.

Expect Myers to get a new deal .... clocks ticking.

Expected Briesel to be resigned.

Expected them to re-structure Demeco. We have "source" in the other thread saying he will be cut. - its just rumor at this point .... But I could see it happening for obvious reasons - mainly cost vs performance. We'll have to wait and see on this one.

Sure didnt see Winston getting cut but that was a significant savings and if they can replace his production at a savings , its a good move.

I havent heard any news since Fosters deal that I would take seriously , I dont even have the faintest idea what they are up to .... Could be resigning MW , could be they were in worse cap trouble than originally thought , could be they are targeting other teams FA's , there is quite a bit of talent on the open market already.

I aint got a clue ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #20
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

My best guess, off the top of my head?

Clearing space for Meyers & Brisel - Moving Rashad Butler to RT.

Goodbye Joel Dreesen, Hello Garrett Graham (just looking at how much money they make, and since they've been grooming Graham). Don't know much about Graham's blocking, but his pass catching is superb.

Goodbye Mario Williams. There's simply too many people out there who will spend a fortune on him.

Cut - Jacoby Jones.
Cut - Demeco Ryans.
Cut - Dominic Barber
Cut - Derrick Ward.
Cut - Jason Allen.
Cut - Mister Alexander.
Cut - Bryant Johnson.
Cut - Jeff Garcia
Cut - Jake Dellhome

Sign - Neil Rackers
Sign - Matt Turk
Sign - Casey Studdard
Sign - Quentin Demps
Sign - Tim Dobbins
Sign - Tim Bulman

FA - WR
FA - CB

Draft - OLB/WR/OT/ILB/WR/RB/QB
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read