Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2012   #121
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerome Solomon reporting Demeco and Jacoby are supposedly being cut tomorrow

I think Myers is way too important to let walk honestly, If we can't get Brie, Myers, and Williams, I would rather get Brie and Myers and use the extra cap space from Mario in the FA.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #122
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerome Solomon reporting Demeco and Jacoby are supposedly being cut tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'll post what Gosselin from the DMN wrote and I couldn't agree more

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...carl-nicks.ece

Quote:
Why is nobody concerned that Houston is prepared to just let Mario Williams walk?

Gosselin: Houston is prepared to let him go because the Texans realize they don't need Mario Williams to play great defense. Playing without him most of last season, they still finished second in the NFL in defense and sixth in sacks. I think the Texans would love to keep Williams at a reasonable price. He would make a good defense even better. But the Texans realize the defense isn't going to collapse without him - like the Cowboys defense would without Ware. Overpaying for Williams would put the Teans in a cap-bind they don't need at this point in their development as a contender. This team is very close to being Super Bowl-ready, with or without Williams. Williams is a superb player and the best pass rusher available. He'll get his money. The Cowboys should at least pick up the phone to inquire.
To play Devil's advocate:

Last year no one knew who Brooks Reed was. No one had any film on the guy. They didn't know his tendancies, strengths or weaknesses. The same will not be true this year. Is there any gaurantee that he will be as effective this coming season, now that teams will have a season to study? No.

That said, I still have my same opinion on Mario and that is I like him and would love to keep him, but as many have stated "at the right price" as to not hamstring the rest of the cap.
Old 03-13-2012   #123
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
To play Devil's advocate:

Last year no one knew who Brooks Reed was. No one had any film on the guy. They didn't know his tendancies, strengths or weaknesses. The same will not be true this year. Is there any gaurantee that he will be as effective this coming season, now that teams will have a season to study? No.

That said, I still have my same opinion on Mario and that is I like him and would love to keep him, but as many have stated "at the right price" as to not hamstring the rest of the cap.
True TB. But as you finished up saying you don't want to cut everyone and then blow the bank on one guy when you still think you can have an elite D. But you are right in the sense that coordinators can look more at Reed now.
Old 03-13-2012   #124
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Zierlein ‏ @LanceZierlein
For the first time this offseason, I'm starting to have my doubts that the Texans will be able to bring Chris Myers back at center next year

I'm hearing the Texans are not close to a deal with Chris Myers or Mike Brisiel so I don't think Winston was cut in order to fit them in.

According to source close to Texans, there appears to have been a shift in there FA strategy over the last 3-5 days. Something big coming?
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #125
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I have a gut feeling we're targeting a big name FA WR, and idk why. Schaub can't get him the ball if we have no o-line.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #126
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I have a gut feeling we're targeting a big name FA WR, and idk why. Schaub can't get him the ball if we have no o-line.
We're defintely targeting someone BIG. I don't think these moves are just about Mario and Myers. Someone else is on their radar screen.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #127
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pissed and I have a terrible feeling in my stomach.

Ugh.

Maybe we're going after Carl Nicks? I hope not. For some reason that guy screams "money hungry punk" to me.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2012   #128
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Its strange that all cuts been on the offense.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #129
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
How is it smart when it was shown you can make a true run with other guys. Paying him large amounts of cash..which is what his price is going to be...at the sake of continuity on the O-line, LBS, etc makes zero sense to me. Signing the other O-linemen and adding some other FAs not named Mario makes more sense.

It's smart b/c:

-He's an elite talent & part of the core of this team

- He's by far our most versatile Front 7 guy as he can play DE, NT & OLB.

- quality depth can be had in the draft...

-Our schedule looks to be tougher in 2012 as far as offenses go.

- And as the old saying goes, you can never have enough pass rushers

I remember this same kinda talk regarding leach last year. "we need to get leach back in the fold...he's just so vital to our run game & Arian.." well a year layer we've got 2 1000 yd rushers on the team 1 of which has shown himself to be a bondafide stud. So in other words, Arian's made those guys some money too; In fact, i think the FO has cast their lot on the whole situation by going on ahead & locking Arian up long term (when they didn't necessarily have to do it b/c he was a RFA) & taking the wait and see approach with Meyers & Brisiel.

People forget that over 1/2 of our O-line was brought here through FA when noone else wanted those guys and that this "continuity" is a myth. Brisiel has missed more than his fair share of games these last 2 years & Brown missed 4 in 2010. Through that time Arian & now Tate have been able to do their thing regardless of who was in on the o-line. Believe me, i understand that our o-line is part of why we've had so much success these last couple of years, but for all this team's success on offense these last few years, our o-line didn't become "great" until Arian started taking snaps at RB.

The other thing to factor in is Kubes' success bringing in O-linemen over the years.

Winston
Brown
Spencer
Smith
Meyers
Brisiel
Butler
Studdard (quality depth)

All of these guys were brought here via FA or the draft under this regime. Hell even the one's that we think weren't very good (Black, Salaam) were still upgrades over what we had from the Capers regime. & if i had to pick 1 area & be confident that kubes could find adequate replacements at in the draft & in FA it's the o-line. i think Meyers & Brown are only guys that are a must we bring back on the o-line. everyone else can be replaced.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #130
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Title needs to be changed to "NastyNate reporting Demeco and Jacoby are supposedly being cut tomorrow"
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #131
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Jerome Solomon reporting Demeco and Jacoby are supposedly being cut tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I hope it isn't true a Demeco. The guy is the heart of this defense. What also sucks is getting all the way to the point of the playoffs and then getting cut. Thank you for your services but no thanks. I don't like it. He is one of the reasons the Texans even got to the playoffs. The Texans could be cutting their own throat if they start cutting out the "vital organs" on this team. I'm gonna wait and see on all this and hope for the best.
BUT think of what he gets paid vs. amount of time on the field?

I would hope they offer him a paycut before cutting him.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #132
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Man we really need to resign Myers but if he wants some ridiculous Mangold or Kalil contract...Peter Konz + Plus some UFA, welcome to Houston. Can't believe that we are not close to negotiations with Brisiel, how much money could he reasonably ask for. Well, I sure hope we resign Myers and Brisiel. Very exciting time of the year.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #133
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
For the first time this offseason, I'm starting to have my doubts that the Texans will be able to bring Chris Myers back at center next year

I'm hearing the Texans are not close to a deal with Chris Myers or Mike Brisiel so I don't think Winston was cut in order to fit them in.

According to source close to Texans, there appears to have been a shift in there FA strategy over the last 3-5 days. Something big coming?
Tells me that Meyers already has something lined up with another team & he's trying to get the texans to match it....Brisiel? well i don't know what he's thinking.
Old 03-13-2012   #134
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Tells me that Meyers already has something lined up with another team & he's trying to get the texans to match it....Brisiel? well i don't know what he's thinking.
Yep.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #135
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Wouldn't that be tampering? Not that it doesn't happen ...
Old 03-13-2012   #136
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
BUT think of what he gets paid vs. amount of time on the field?

I would hope they offer him a paycut before cutting him.
Would Demeco take a pay cut though? I'm guessing given his injury limitations, he may worry about his ability to stick around in future years, and his ability to perform and stick on a new team. Maybe he gambles that his contract isn't favorable to cutting him and he picks up his 5.9m this season wondering if he'll ever see that sort of paycheck again?

The NFL can be cruel and Demeco has been cut down in his prime. Sure he gave his all while he was on the field and in limited snaps he performed as well as could be expected but on the field, he's now overpaid.

I also think the NFL is awash with talent at the position right now, as is our team. Everything except his leadership is totally replaceable right now. Shame to say it.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #137
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Wouldn't that be tampering? Not that it doesn't happen ...
well of course, but how else do think these "rumors" start about how teams are getting ready to push "hard" for this guy or that guy. How do NFL insiders even find this crap out? All teams & players have to do is filter conversations through their agent & there's no big worry about teams getting penalized for tampering...it's 1 of the biggest jokes in sports....right behind the MLB all-star games deciding home field adv. for the WS.
Old 03-13-2012   #138
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I agree. Well, I would disagree with Wade, but I agree that Wade would be behind the re-signing.
Disagree with Wade? Really?

I have enough respect for Wade Phillips to where if he wants Mario back, an I'm pretty sure he does, then that's good enough for me. It is really quite that simple.

As someone else said, which I agree with, they aren't going to let anyone out that door unless they think he's replaceable. They are making moves.that nobody saw coming. That's what good teams do
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #139
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79206 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I liken this whole Mario thing to my basketball team, the Suns, making the decision to let go of Amare Stoudemire.

Both great, athletic masterpieces. Huge contributors, great players. Ultimately though, too much money, and too many questions. Injuries a problem, perceptions of not always playing hard, etc. Like Amare, Mario wants the guaranteed money, and that's just not feasible. You want to keep those guys on your team forever since they're so rare, but tough decisions have to be made. Ultimately, letting Amare go was the best thing for the team, as he looks a shell of himself (not due to no Nash, btw) in NY.

Let's just hope we do a better job replacing Mario than the Suns did replacing Amare, lol.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #140
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Disagree with Wade? Really?

I have enough respect for Wade Phillips to where if he wants Mario back, an I'm pretty sure he does, then that's good enough for me. It is really quite that simple.

As someone else said, which I agree with, they aren't going to let anyone out that door unless they think he's replaceable. They are making moves.that nobody saw coming. That's what good teams do
I'm a little worried about selling the farm for Mario though. Defense wins Championships? Not anymore, QB's win championships, we're in the era of the 5000 yard QB and rules that say you have to wait for a receiver to be ready before you lay a hit on him.

Its nice having a great pass-rush, but at the cost of giving your injury-troubled, immobile QB a pocket to throw from? Thats some scary **** right there.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read