Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2012   #161
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Damn if that doesn't sound like tampering.
it is all over the chicago newspapers
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #162
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
That wouldn't make sense to hang on to him for that long when having his cap space is most important during free agency
Great counterpoint. In that case tomorrow it is. Off with his roster spot. NOW!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #163
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Saw the article where Winston says the Texans stated that they were up against it (salary cap). Could be wrong but that does not sound like we are going to be signing Mario to a $100 million plus contract. If they cut Jacoby they need to do it before 3 tomorrow. It would be a dream come true if we could get a guy like Meachem or Manningham in free agency because I don't see a day 1 starter available at 26 in the draft (a guy can dream).
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #164
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

While I like Winston and think he is a decent tackle, we would be well served to take that money and put it towards Meyers and Briesel. Give up one piece to save two others? I'm down, yo!!

That said, if the Texans lose either Meyers or Briesel, the FO will have some 'splainin' to do!!!
The thing that is so surprising, is that they cut him. If it were just about creating cap space, they could have just restructured his deal.... I can't think of a reason why he would have been against it (unless he's believing his own hype).
Old 03-12-2012   #165
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2774 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thing that is so surprising, is that they cut him. If it were just about creating cap space, they could have just restructured his deal.... I can't think of a reason why he would have been against it (unless he's believing his own hype).
He only had 2 years left on his deal. 5.5 million each season, no bonus money. I don't think they could push it all to next year, when they're going to be even closer to the cap.
DonnyMost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #166
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Or at worst trade him?
Old 03-12-2012   #167
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winston? Believe his own hype? SHOCKING! I always felt he spent way too much time at Wing Stop (610), You Tube & Sirius ...
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2012   #168
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Saw the article where Winston says the Texans stated that they were up against it (salary cap). Could be wrong but that does not sound like we are going to be signing Mario to a $100 million plus contract. If they cut Jacoby they need to do it before 3 tomorrow. It would be a dream come true if we could get a guy like Meachem or Manningham in free agency because I don't see a day 1 starter available at 26 in the draft (a guy can dream).
See, I would also like to grab a better WR2 like you're saying. Glad I'm not alone.

We need a better route runner, a guy who has seen big games in his career. We tried to get that in Eric Moulds wayyyyy back when, but he was already too old and beat up to really do anything here.

Meachem or Manningham would be a good FA fix for WR2. Give Yates somebody to throw to that can be trusted on a consistent basis to be where he should be, and to do something with the ball once he gets it.
Old 03-12-2012   #169
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Winston? Believe his own hype? SHOCKING! I always felt he spent way too much time at Wing Stop (610), You Tube & Sirius ...
Yeah. Whatever gave someone that idea?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #170
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Doh! You are RIGHT!

Duane Brown got beaten badly on that play. It was a screen pass to the right side of the line and our LT and LG blew their assignments on the left side...with Duane at LT blowing it the worst.

My bad. I have been bested. I relinquish my pistol to you, good sir.
Don't feel totally defeated there GP... because when Yates suffered his shoulder injury (thank god it was to his non throwing arm or he would've been shelfed) Winston totally WHIFFED. You were wrong about that play, but not about the assertion that Winston was a little harmful to our QBs health last season. It wasn't that he just couldn't hold his block... when he got beat, the majority of the time his man was coming through free and untouched.

Winston was a good player though and depending on (hopefully) pending moves that help justify it, I'm going to question why he was just outright cut, but I'm also not going to sit here and pretend like he was some all world RT either. The man was a badass guard stuck out at RT. A Mauler and brawler in the running game.... sucked in pass protection, flat out embarrassed most of the times when he was beat.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #171
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'd tell him... good for him, but that's why his team will continue to get their butts kicked by the Packers and now the up and coming Lions... This isn't 1985 and you have to have more than just a really good defense. (Peppers with Mario sounds terrifying, but it's redundant) If the Bears do that, they're retarded... they need to be investing in the line on the other side of the ball, because Cutler has brain matter falling out of his helmet every weekend.

There's only so many cap dollars... as we're all finding out. If the Bears do that, they're blowing their wad in one area and putting all of their eggs in one basket.
After what the Giants did to Aaron Rodgers.... I can see them going after Mario.

I understand the cap restrictions, but for the most part, it's funny money. There is always a way if a that's what the team wants.
Old 03-12-2012   #172
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Well the Texans can say that but they could mean "With what we are planning to pay some of these guys, we'll be up against it." and thus release him.

Either way none of us have much of an idea what's going on. Could be they are clearing this space to sign Reggie Wayne + our linemen. Not Mario or Manning. Guess we'll find out soon though.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #173
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as they are not doing this just to resign Mario I am Ok with it. They are clearing cap space hopefully to sign someone/s when FA starts tomorrow.

They need help at a few positions and if they are clearing cap space to address these I am in favor. They know what is out there better than we do.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #174
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
See, I would also like to grab a better WR2 like you're saying. Glad I'm not alone.

We need a better route runner, a guy who has seen big games in his career. We tried to get that in Eric Moulds wayyyyy back when, but he was already too old and beat up to really do anything here.

Meachem or Manningham would be a good FA fix for WR2. Give Yates somebody to throw to that can be trusted on a consistent basis to be where he should be, and to do something with the ball once he gets it.
I've also seen a couple of articles that say this is a deep WR UFA class, a "Buyers Market" so I got my fingers crossed. One was on nfl.com I believe.
Old 03-12-2012   #175
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

didnt someone report a week or so a go that the texans wanted to lock up duane brown long-term...
Old 03-12-2012   #176
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Well the Texans can say that but they could mean "With what we are planning to pay some of these guys, we'll be up against it." and thus release him.

Either way none of us have much of an idea what's going on. Could be they are clearing this space to sign Reggie Wayne + our linemen. Not Mario or Manning. Guess we'll find out soon though.
Exactly right, only the FO guys know but I sure hope that with this restructuring and cutting that we can resign Myers and Brisiel before 3 tomorrow and get a Meachem or Manningham in free agency. Like I said, a guy can dream
Old 03-12-2012   #177
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

P.S.

LMAO at sports radio 610.

For freaking hours they've been trashing everybody who called in and criticized Winston or said he spent too much time in the media and they've been telling people that their "resident retired lineman" Greg Cook was going to be on later and just wait to see what he has to say....

Well the man pretty much just called out Winston, questioned his priorities, and said he's not shocked and completely understands why Winston was let go. Barry Warner... just stepped into it. Now this moron is saying he completely agrees with everything Greg Cook had to say when Warner just spent hours (along with Jerome Solomon) crying how disastrous this move is and how horrible it is for the team.

Greg Cook flat out said... at a time where Winston should've been coming into his own and entering his prime, he had his worst season ever and this is something I've talked to him about before. I don't think he was focused on honing his craft. Duane Brown has become the player who plays with the mentality and the way that they always envisioned Winston could play like.
Old 03-12-2012   #178
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
After what the Giants did to Aaron Rodgers.... I can see them going after Mario.

I understand the cap restrictions, but for the most part, it's funny money. There is always a way if a that's what the team wants.
The Giants have offensive lineman and receivers. The Bears...
------
-----
-----
Old 03-12-2012   #179
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm absolutely shocked by this. I'm in the Winston is overrated camp, but never even considered the Texans would just cut him. I wonder if OD and Ryan are next. I'll be more than happy to save the cap space with OD(I like Dreesen quite a bit more than him) but I'm not sure of dead money if they do. I also agree that Butler will be our starting RT in 2012, unless Tony Boselli found a time machine and is back to his mid-90's form.
Like a lot of players, I see this as freeing up $$ for MW and maybe working on some contract extensions on next years FA crop. I still don't see the Texans making a serious run at PM. WHo would take Schaub? Washington just spent a buttload of picks for the 2nd overall. Do they have any good players we would trade Schaub for?
Evidently Smith read Solomon's article and decided to be very aggressive.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #180
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8663 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry guys but when you give up 17 of 65 total sacks in the past 2 years AND you're getting paid $11m over the next 2 years. Adios.

Hopefully this means we keep Mario, but if not...I understand.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read