Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2012   #121
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
also nobody would trade for him??
I was wondering that meself....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #122
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMost View Post
If Mike and Chris aren't resigned tomorrow afternoon this is going to be a royal failboat.
I want Mario Williams re-signed first and foremost.
Old 03-12-2012   #123
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a proponent of drafting him and re-signing him, but his contract was over valued.

I can't say Butler provides efficiency as a backfill, but do expect a RT to be taken in the early rounds or tinker with Brisiel at RT.
Old 03-12-2012   #124
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

no no no no
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #125
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
He's a TE so he's safe.

Winston was a mauler in the run game but his pass pro could be suspect at times, maybe there is an upgrade coming? Gotta lock down Myers and Briesel for sure now.
Yeah , his pass protection was questionable at times. I recall one time this past year that he whiffed on a block and got Schaub hammered ..... Maybe someone can find that one on Youtube.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #126
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans releasing Eric Winston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Hopefully the OL will look like this

Brown/ W.Smith/ Myers/ Briesel/ Butler
I wonder if a promise was made to Butler last year. I thought surely he would be gone, wisked off by another team & starting somewhere in this league.

Had he not been hurt this year, I wonder how that RT position would have played out.
Old 03-12-2012   #127
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yeah , his pass protection was questionable at times. I recall one time this past year that he whiffed on a block and got Schaub hammered ..... Maybe someone can find that one on Youtube.
Was that Schaub or Yates?

Because if it was Schaub then he also did it to Yates.

It was agains the Falcons...The DE just ran right past him and leveled TJY.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2012   #128
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Don't tell me they are doing this to keep Mario
I honestly don't know what's going on. Last I saw we are $5M over the cap & still need to sign Myers & Brisiel.
Old 03-12-2012   #129
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenney_11 View Post
Like someone previously mentioned, maybe Jones and others have been cut be its not been announced yet.
Good point but I'm pretty sure that Jones would have tweeted something unintelligible by now. That guy makes me cringe when I read his tweets. He needs to take some grammar lessons from Foster.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #130
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Was that Schaub or Yates?

Because if it was Schaub then he also did it to Yates.

It was agains the Falcons...The DE just ran right past him and leveled TJY.
I recall it being early in the season .... so it had to be Schaub , the one against the Falcons had slipped my mind .... but that was a brutal one Yates took.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #131
D1DAVE
Football=life

Rep Power: 92 D1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
I want Mario Williams re-signed first and foremost.
I disagree. If Mario goes, you get Jacoby gone and sign the o-line back up, get Winstons replacement I think we are good.. Of course that is if the rookies on defense do not have a bad 2nd season. IMHO
D1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #132
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta say I was shocked at the news. The Texans really need to get Myers signed. I bet Foster is sweatin bullets right now after signing a long term contract with only 2 olinemen on board so far. I'd be bending Rick's ear to get me my big boys up front signed.

And yes Jacoby should be gone. Not for the one play in the playoffs but his full body of work since he has been a Texan. He sucks.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #133
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78568 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Yep

Whether or not its Butler or someone else, you have to thinkk Smithiak has a plan.

Also, a lot of people want the Texans to be more like Pittsburgh (myself included). Well the Steelers cut veteran players whose salaries are bigger than thier production all the time. So far this year the Steelers have released Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, James Farrier and Chris Kemoeatu.

I'm just happy we've finally gotten to a place were we can cut good players like Winston and have Butler step into his spot.

Good luck Caveman!
Thanks Hagar for posting this. It's about verbatim of how I was going to respond.

So many folks have blasted the FO for ineptness, being too conservative, being too cheap and many other things but I think this move indicates those views are unsubstantiated.

There's no way #73 gets released willy fk'n nilly. There's a solid plan in place and I'm going to give them credit for knowing what they're doing. Where all this leads and whether or not it will be successful remains to be seen. But I've got to believe the FO has a plan, a goal and the steps to be taken necessary to achieve same.

I'll go on record and say we'll probably see a few more "surprises".

As many have posted "if you're not getting better, you're getting worse".

I think things will really heat up in the next few days/weeks.

I'm gonna hide-n-watch. (With popcorn and a beer).

What else can a mother do?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #134
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1DAVE View Post
I disagree. If Mario goes, you get Jacoby gone and sign the o-line back up, get Winstons replacement I think we are good.. Of course that is if the rookies on defense do not have a bad 2nd season. IMHO
Which seems to always be a big if when it comes to the Texans. I would not risk it to rely on rookies although I'm sure Watt is a stud future multi-time Pro Bowler...I'm not really sure on Reed personally, he just doesn't pass the eye test to me.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #135
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 122284 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang who knob is josh ines going to bob now? First pollard leaves him now Winston. He's ok I do think he's over rated. I hope butler can get the job done.
Old 03-12-2012   #136
D1DAVE
Football=life

Rep Power: 92 D1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Which seems to always be a big if when it comes to the Texans. I would not risk it to rely on rookies although I'm sure Watt is a stud future multi-time Pro Bowler...I'm not really sure on Reed personally, he just doesn't pass the eye test to me.
Yeah I'm down with that for sure. Reed seems fine with me, just worried about a letdown on defense.. If that happens than I'm wrong about Mario. Crapshoot at best.
D1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #137
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I honestly don't know what's going on. Last I saw we are $5M over the cap & still need to sign Myers & Brisiel.
You had $18M coming off from Mario and however much (~$9M?) from Winston and the AJ restructure.
Old 03-12-2012   #138
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

While I like Winston and think he is a decent tackle, we would be well served to take that money and put it towards Meyers and Briesel. Give up one piece to save two others? I'm down, yo!!

That said, if the Texans lose either Meyers or Briesel, the FO will have some 'splainin' to do!!!
Old 03-12-2012   #139
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Postponing judgement until I know where they're going with this. Right now though, not sure if I like it.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #140
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

While I like Winston and think he is a decent tackle, we would be well served to take that money and put it towards Meyers and Briesel. Give up one piece to save two others? I'm down, yo!!

That said, if the Texans lose either Meyers or Briesel, the FO will have some 'splainin' to do!!!
The timing should be very telling.

Tomorrow is the deadline, we likely tried to negotiate with these guys all we could, but now we're up against the wall and the only way we can keep them both is to cut Winston. Makes a lot of sense. If they don't sign, I'll be pissed at Myers/Briesel, but only disappointed with the FO, as they obviously tried very hard.
DonnyMost is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read