Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2012   #101
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released?????

Yea, why would they cut Winston before Jones, or even Walter for that matter. ****, we could have moved him inside to guard and let his big ass run block. I'm confused. Very very interesting time of the year. This one definitely came out of left field.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #102
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Well this means we will get it done with Myers. We better.

Hope we can get Mario back, that way we can tackle our depth on offense in the draft and not worry too much about another pass rusher.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #103
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

YES!!!!!

This is the kind of stuff I've been wanting to see!!!!
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #104
skenney_11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Yea, why would they cut Winston before Jones, or even Walter for that matter. ****, we could have moved him inside to guard and let his big ass run block. I'm confused. Very very interesting time of the year. This one definitely came out of left field.
Like someone previously mentioned, maybe Jones and others have been cut be its not been announced yet.
skenney_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #105
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53531 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Big news.

Not sure how I feel about it. Winston was overrated overall but still a damn fine player.

We must get Myers, Brisiel, AND draft OL now.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #106
D1DAVE
Football=life

Rep Power: 92 D1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to see him go, but I think he can be replaced. I never really noticed how he could get beat by a really fast pass rush defense until this season. Really liked the guys intensity on the sidelines though.
D1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #107
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Eric Winston was not a good football player and I've been wanting to see a replacement there for years.

I'm surprised as hell about this move, but not sad in the least.
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2012   #108
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Eric Winston was not a good football player and I've been wanting to see a replacement there for years.

He certainly had some flaws but he was a very good run blocker.
Old 03-12-2012   #109
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

meyers was coming back..this move imo was not made for him, they had cap space for him.....this move was made to try to get mario back, no doubt in my mind.

winston was definitely replaceable though.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #110
D1DAVE
Football=life

Rep Power: 92 D1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I guess you could say he was just good enough.
Old 03-12-2012   #111
D1DAVE
Football=life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
meyers was coming back..this move imo was not made for him, they had cap space for him.....this move was made to try to get mario back, no doubt in my mind.
I am still not sure about the Mario re-sign. To many other OL to sign yet.
Old 03-12-2012   #112
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
He certainly had some flaws but he was a very good run blocker.
He was a good run blocker, but he is an OT...He was not a good pass protector...

For an OT that's not good.
Old 03-12-2012   #113
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Butler is good, I was impressed when he came in when I think it was Brown was injured and played well. The thing that gets me is that Butler ruptured his triceps and was put on IR last year, sounds kind of nasty. Also, I believe that Butler will be a UFA after next season but don't quote me on that. They must think highly of Newton too. Well, they better have Myers and Brisiel signed by 3 tomorrow. Never a dull moment.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #114
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1DAVE View Post
I guess you could say he was just good enough.
I think we can easily do better or just as well there.

I think Butler would make just as good of a RT as Winston...
Old 03-12-2012   #115
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1DAVE View Post
I am still not sure about the Mario re-sign. To many other OL to sign yet.
by resigning arian & releasing winston & failing to sign any of the OL guys as of right now, i can see what the FO is thinking. Alot of our run game success rests with #23. He damn sure made those guys look better than what they really are. They saying they feel arian is the catalyst & the most valuable piece to the puzzle & behind him is Meyers & Brown...everyone else is fair game to be replaced.

& if you go back & watch games...it bears out. We primarily ran left.....to brown's side. We primarily play-actioned to the left...brown's side. I honestly can't think of any major play we made to winston's side except for arian's TD run in the steelers game where he bent it back right.........and that had little to do with Winston; it was all Foster.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #116
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

mario is gone

this move is more for Myers
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #117
D1DAVE
Football=life

Quote:
I think we can easily do better or just as well there.

I think Butler would make just as good of a RT as Winston...
We shall see!
Old 03-12-2012   #118
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I mostly agree with this with the exception of accepting that he was very good run blocking most of the time. Pass protection was an issue and it seemed like once a week this season I held my breath while he screwed the pooch trying to pass protect. Maybe it just looked so bad because Brown was having such a good year.

I think it's hard to make a case that Winston's position couldn't be upgraded or at the very least restocked for less money. He just wasn't that good. I think Butler can fill that position easily. LT is a reach for him but RT is where he came from (oddly enough Winston was a LT at Miami when Butler was starting at RT there).

I think they wouldn't have released him if they didn't think that they could survive it.
Old 03-12-2012   #119
D1DAVE
Football=life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
mario is gone

this move is more for Myers
I think so.
Old 03-12-2012   #120
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 18204 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been on record a long time with not being a fan of Eric's. I think it was the smart move, trying to keep Meyers.

The RT position does worry me with this move, which is why I was willing to put up with him.

Hmmmm ... tomorrow should be very interesting!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read